Page 2 of 286 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

-I find character deaths in comics to be a joke. It's hard to take them seriously or for them to have any emotional impact whatsoever when one knows that the character who died will be come back.

-I also find line wide events and constant renumbering to be over done.

-I find Batman's extended family far more interesting then the big guy himself.

-I'd rather read a solidly written book that seemly doesn't "matter" to a mediocre one that does.

-I'm far more interested in the niche books like Omega Men then in those that feature the A list guys that sell anyway.

-Morrison is overrated as is The Killing Joke.

-Jason Todd's death by fan vote was completely unnecessary. If the writers wanted to kill him off then they should have just done it instead of letting the fans be their scapegoats.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 09-18-2015 at 10:03 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Astonishing Member

I don't know if it's controversial or not, but while I think the idea of the multiverse and "other earth versions of yourselves" is great, I think the way they went about Earth-2 - castigating all the Golden Age characters to limbo, then effectively saying "no wait, they were NEVER part of the mainstream history" was utter garbage. This includes all the bits where they had to be artificially aged, where they had to forever be associated with World War II, and all the double and triple retcons it took to get them back into the mainstream Earth only to be castigated once more into mediocrity and less importance. (It doesn't however include the good aspects like the ongoing Legacy work and the Next Generation stuff) There were any number of work-arounds. And while I'm glad they eventually made their way back in via Crisis, I'm not that keen on the dramatic changes that then had to be retconned everywhere for years to fill in the Lost Years. For the same reason whenever the New 52 missing years come up I just stick my fingers in my ears and go "la la la la la".

But it's idiotic that Batman could just keep on keeping on, eternally young, and divorce himself from WWII and become timeless (admittedly, turned into two different people, and yet the mainstream Batman still has like 99% of Batman-2's experiences) but that the rest of them couldn't. Effectively what I'm saying is that Alan Scott, Jay Garrick and the rest should have been turned into two different people as well - because I'm cool with the idea that Earth-2 is still kind of the follow-up to the Golden Age. I like the idea that a neighboring parallel world features more old-timey Golden Age Comics Origins versions even as the Mainstream U continually updates to be hip to the times.)

Alan, Doiby, Jay, Ted, Jack, Rex, Dan, and the rest deserve to have Earth-0 counterparts.
    Last edited by K. Jones; 09-18-2015 at 10:23 PM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Identity Crisis was far and away the best Justice League story of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I just flat-out don't like Batman. What's to like?
    Maybe he just needs a new name and costume.

The Tim/Cassie/Kon generation of characters drive me up a wall.

I've never been able to get into the New Gods (until Darkseid War)

I've never been able to get into Legion of Super-Heroes (though I want very badly to and I find a lot to like there)

I find Etrigan's rhyming tedious and I am disappointed when he shows up in a favorite book.

Though I loved the first 10 or 20 issues of JLI (in large part due to Kevin Maguire being incredible) I find the bwah-ha-ha JLI unbelievably irritating.

I feel the same way about Guy Garder, Lobo, and G'Nort. And though Blackest Night and Brightest Day were among my favorite company crossovers ever I find most things about the Yellow, Red, and Orange Lanterns (as well as Gardner and Kyle Rayner) to be so dull -- in combination with the great disappointment of the movie -- as to have lost interest in GL as a character and concept entirely.

I think those are all probably pretty controversial opinions. Certainly most people disagree with most of them.

the James Robinson run on Justice League of America is a great run.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

The Teen Titans as a franchise should have been put out to pasture in 1990.

Bat Lash is DC's best Silver Age book.

Hellblazer is DC's best continuously published book out of anything that ran at least 20 years.

For the most part I can't stand multi-title crossover events.

I would sooner watch Batman & Robin than Batman Returns.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

- Frankly, there's no need to have Barbara Gordon as Batgirl and Tim Drake as Robin/Red Robin at the same time, they're too similar in too many ways.
    - Morrison is the best Superman and Batman writer, and generally anything he has to say about the DCU is official by default, even (and sometimes especially) if it overrides editorial.
    - Final Crisis is the best event comic of all time, and it's not even jokingly a close thing unless Secret Wars seriously drops the mic in December.
    - Jason Todd works better alive than dead (I don't think he should have died in the first place in the New 52), but once he becomes the Red Hood he shouldn't be a part of the Bat-Family in any way, shape or form.
    - The Schumacher movies hold up for what they are better than the Burton flicks. Batman Forever is the closest of the bunch to capturing the aesthetic for Batman I have in my head.
    - Dark Knight Rises wasn't perfect, but still a fine, fun and fitting ending to the Nolan trilogy.
    - "For The Man Who Has Everything" is eh, worse than "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" or "Jungle Line" as Superman stories and certainly one of Moore's overall lesser works.
    - Brian Azzarello's Wonder Woman run is gleefully spiteful in its disregard for the character's past history in a manner you'd never see allowed with DC's other major characters, inherently sexist in the history it establishes in its place, and generally boring. Almost all of his work for the company (with the terrific exception of Luthor and one or two noble, interesting failures like For Tomorrow) is lousy.
    - Nightwing is a worse place for Dick Grayson in terms of being an interesting character than as Robin, Batman or Agent 37.
    - Superheroes torturing/keeping secrets for secrets' sake/generally behaving immorally for the 'greater good' on a semi-regular basis is fundamentally damaging to the underpinings of the genre.
    - Gene Luen Yang's Superman run is almost comically awful even in basic craftsmanship, which is absolutely bizarre given the quality of his work like American Born Chinese.
    - The Justice Society existing publicly decades before Superman is a fundamentally bad idea that leads to idiotic scenes like the Trinity telling Wildcat and Less Well Known Flash and Green Lantern that they'd be nothing without them. Both groups suffer for it. Keep them on Earth-2 or wherever.
    - Changing a character's race upon rebooting them to increase linewide diversity is fine and a good thing, same often goes for sexual orientation.
    - Unlike the Avengers that can benefit from some shakeups from time to time, the main Justice League team should generally speaking stick to the Big 7.
    - Lobo becoming a handsome and relatively low-key straightforward badass, while a terrible story idea, is in the real world a pretty hilarious punchline to the joke that is his existence (I don't mean that in a bad way regarding 'classic' Lobo).
    - John Byrne's Superman, while providing lots of solid ideas that other creators seized and did interesting stuff with later on, is not in and of itself a valid interpretation of the character as Siegel and Shuster created him, and any attempt at adopting "Clark Kent is who I am, Superman is what I do" as an absolute mandate is doomed to devolve into soap opera nonsense and ultimate conceptual collapse until your Morrisons or your Waids step in to set things right.
    - The Crime Syndicate, and Ultraman in particular, have never been as good as they should be, even under Morrison.
    - Supergirl/Krypto/Phantom Zone are all fine (more than fine in Krypto's case), but having Kandor as a living, breathing Kryptonian city that Superman can visit any time he wants is pushing it too far. It's still a good idea, but it needs to be changed in some fundamental ways.
    - Luthor being half of Superboy's D.N.A. was an inspired idea with limitless potential and should stick. Superboy has himself never been as good or interesting as he should be.
    - Brandon Routh is at least a serious contender for the title of best modern Superman, even if he was trapped in an awful movie.
    - The New 52 Shazam revamp was a terrible idea from jump street.
    - I used to love it, but What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and the American Way? is in retrospect a paper-thin strawman argument disguised as a comic with just enough solid moments to cover up its considerable weaknesses, and I can't unsee the big speech's grammatical error.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    - Gene Luen Yang's Superman run is almost comically awful even in basic craftsmanship, which is absolutely bizarre given the quality of his work like American Born Chinese.
    i dont think i've heard anyone say is actually good. I do agree with you tho.

Ok, mine:

- I hate George Perez art... those haircuts man lol... It may have something to do with my hate of looks of the 80s.
    - CoIE is one of my least favorite comic books of all time. I tried to re-read it not long ago. I think i managed to read 8 pages. The destruction of Earth-3 was just lame. Worst characterization ever.
    - I don't like pretty much anything made by Jack Kirby. The New Gods and Kamandi are extremely lame.
    - I actually like the New 52 a lot.
    - I think Scott Snyder's Batman is boring and lame. Too much text about Gotham City and the Joker being the ultimate villain doesnt appeal to me.
    - I think the Finches's WW is fun and respectful of what Azz did, which is the only WW i ever cared for. Before that, the character was horrendously boring.
    - Keith Giffen's humor is the least funny thing i've ever read.
    - Felicity Smoak (from Arrow) and this whole "Olicity" thing SUCK.
    - The Flash TV show is not very good.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Incredible Member

I genuinely like All Star Batman and Robin. Few comics have ever made me laugh more.

BANNED

-Batman is boring
    -Geoff Johns is a massively overrated writer of mediocre talent, what makes him look good is that most other writers suck or just dont have the pop music appeal.
    -The comics industry is better off without the likes of Alan Moore and Frank Miller.
    -Brian Azzarello's Wonder Woman run is by far the best run the character has ever had.
    -Constantine and Loki types of characters are both boring and overused.
    -DC is on purpose keeping most of their creations down so they can keep the Trinity as the main force behind the DCU
    -Jack Kirby couldn't draw to save his life
    -Batman Begins was better than Dark Knight
    -Barbara Gordon was only ever worth anything as a character when she was Oracle. Sure, she's on a roll now... after she stole the book they used to write Stephanie Brow with.
    -Damian Wayne badly needs to die

Now I have to retreat to my secret bunker and wait out the horde.

-Cassandra Cain is too good for the Batbooks.
    -Barbara Gordon was more inspirational as Oracle.
    -All Robins have merit.
    -Perez, Rucka, Jimenez and Simone's runs on WW are better than Azzarello's.
    -Altering a character's race, gender or sexual orientation can work depending on how it's executed.
    -Perez' Heracles is more accurate to the myths than most modern adaptations.
    -The portrayal of Superboy Prime as a straw man fan is the height of hypocrisy from DC a company that has brought back Hal Jordan and Barry Allen and Barbara as Batgirl.
    -Diana doesn't benefit from special treatment form DC contrary to what some may say.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    -Batman is boring
    -Geoff Johns is a massively overrated writer of mediocre talent, what makes him look good is that most other writers suck or just dont have the pop music appeal.
    -The comics industry is better off without the likes of Alan Moore and Frank Miller.
    -Brian Azzarello's Wonder Woman run is by far the best run the character has ever had.
    -Constantine and Loki types of characters are both boring and overused.
    -DC is on purpose keeping most of their creations down so they can keep the Trinity as the main force behind the DCU
    -Jack Kirby couldn't draw to save his life
    -Batman Begins was better than Dark Knight
    -Barbara Gordon was only ever worth anything as a character when she was Oracle. Sure, she's on a roll now... after she stole the book they used to write Stephanie Brow with.
    -Damian Wayne badly needs to die

Now I have to retreat to my secret bunker and wait out the horde.
    May I ask what you mean by the bolded? What are "Constantine and Loki types"?

Hmm think the Watchmen and Alan Moore in general is only mediocre. I think the Dark Knight Returns is a horribly written story and drawn for that matter. I also think Batman Begins is better than the Dark Knight but MOS is the best comic movie ever made.

Kyle and Wally are superior to Hal and Barry.

Wonder Woman was never interesting until the new fifty two.

I currently enjoy teen titans.

I actually liked Superman Grounded and Wonder Woman Odessy

I dislike all comic art work from before 1985, making it really hard to read the stories.

Superman is the most human and relatable character in comics and the post crisis and post flashpoint are the best version with earth one being third