Page 249 of 286 FirstFirst ... 149199239245246247248249250251252253259 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,735 of 4285

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I feel like, outside of Dick Grayson, there's never been a more appropriate character to call himself "Robin" than Damien. Fits him well.

ROBIN, SON OF BATMAN is such a great title.
    There is a certain appeal to Robin finally being Batman's son, isn't there?

I suppose at this point in time it makes more sense for Tim to take a new name and Damien keep Robin indefinitely. Actually, Tim needs new name no matter what, because Red Robin is about the worst name this side of the Whizzer.

But ten years ago, or whenever it is that Damien took the mantle? I think he should've taken something original instead. It also feels fitting for his personality; would Damien ever accept a hand-me-down codename held by (to his mind) inferior people?

But at this point, it's Tim who needs to find a new name, and Damien should probably hold onto Robin.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Actually, Sparrow was the combination of Robin and X-Men's Jubilee during the Amalgam thing where Marvel and DC characters merge together
    I know, but I don't think anyone has used it since. It should be available.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Retired

It seems unfair to Dick, Jason and Tim to say that only Damian is the Son of the Batman. Surely Dick was more of a son to Bruce than anyone. Damian is a Johnny come lately. The real father and son relationship was Bruce and Dick, the Dynamic Duo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It seems unfair to Dick, Jason and Tim to say that only Damian is the Son of the Batman. Surely Dick was more of a son to Bruce than anyone. Damian is a Johnny come lately. The real father and son relationship was Bruce and Dick, the Dynamic Duo.
    Exactly. In the grand scheme of things, DNA is pretty irrelevant. Bruce had a solid hand in actually raising and shaping Dick and Tim into the men they've become. For the amount of influence that Bruce had in Damien's life?? He could just as easily be any random clone/stranger/orphan, whatever. Being Batman's 'son', doesn't make him better in any way. Bruce isn't Captain America. There's no super-soldier formula giving him a genetic edge. All of his smarts, abilities, skills were all hard work and training. Damian gets the advantage of being trained by Ra's since birth, but he could have done that with an League of Assassins kid.

If Bruce ever needs a blood transfusion or something... THEN Robin being Batman's son will be important... but I'm sure Bruce has long had his own stashs of blood and organs chilling somewhere 'in case of emergency'

BANNED

Is it unimportant? Comicbooks have traditionally shied away from blood relationships. There are tons of relationships without the DNA factor so that when a person like Damian enters the fray they automatically stand out. Remember it was a Bruce/Talia shipper who retconned away the baby from Son of the Demon and their marriage. Tomasi who is a big Damian supporter was against his creation. There is a bias against blood relationships and was for decades. Damian just broke that trend.
    The others problem isn't Damian, its each other. They cannabalize each others importance. If DC introduced Helena, Bruce Jr and Athanasia( from Injustice) then Damian's status will automatically be diminished.

Retired

It's just funny, because we're supposed to be in a progressive time [I'm not sure we are] and we should know that adopted children have just as much validity as biological children--yet on the face of it, it looks like the old stories where heroes adopted kids and parented them are more progressive.

Of course, in the old days, it was just easier and avoided a lot of mess to have the kid fully formed and adopted. Even when the parents were married--as with Tarzan and Jane in the Tarzan movies--it was easier to have them find a kid than to show Jane getting pregnant and birthing a baby. I guess it also made for drama, as the kid could be taken away from the adoptive parents at any time.

With Batman, it seems like they didn't want him to marry and have a kid that way--or to be fathering kids outside of marriage. So Dick was adopted. And also, in terms of the dramatic tension of the story, it was better to show a one-to-one relationship between Batman born out of tragedy and Robin born out of tragedy. Therefore, on a story level, the connection made sense in the way that the birds and the bees don't. Especially for a male hero, where the father doesn't enjoy the same immediate connection with a child that a mother does.

And even with women, it was easier to show Hippolyta creating a clay baby and wishing it life. In a visual medium--that deals in basic symbols--that story is more direct and obvious, rather than getting into details of biology that don't make for great visuals.

However, with Damian Wayne, they have sort of done the same thing. The kid is fully formed by the time Batman finds him. So all that messy business with babies is avoided. But then they could have done the same retcon with Dick Grayson and established that Bruce had a one-night stand with Mary Grayson. In the old days, that wasn't possible--because Bruce having sex with anyone was not permitted. Now the comics have no compunction about Bruce sleeping around.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 03-11-2018 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    Is it unimportant? Comicbooks have traditionally shied away from blood relationships. There are tons of relationships without the DNA factor so that when a person like Damian enters the fray they automatically stand out. Remember it was a Bruce/Talia shipper who retconned away the baby from Son of the Demon and their marriage. Tomasi who is a big Damian supporter was against his creation. There is a bias against blood relationships and was for decades. Damian just broke that trend.
    The others problem isn't Damian, its each other. They cannabalize each others importance. If DC introduced Helena, Bruce Jr and Athanasia( from Injustice) then Damian's status will automatically be diminished.
    It's just funny, because we're supposed to be in a progressive time [I'm not sure we are] and we should know that adopted children have just as much validity as biological children--yet on the face of it, it looks like the old stories where heroes adopted kids and parented them are more progressive.

Of course, in the old days, it was just easier and avoided a lot of mess to have the kid fully formed and adopted. Even when the parents were married--as with Tarzan and Jane in the Tarzan movies--it was easier to have them find a kid than to show Jane getting pregnant and birthing a baby. I guess it also made for drama, as the kid could be taken away from the adoptive parents at any time.

With Batman, it seems like they didn't want him to marry and have a kid that way--or to be fathering kids outside of marriage. So Dick was adopted. But also, in terms of the dramatic tension of the story, it was better to show a one-to-one relationship between Batman born out of tragedy and Robin born out of tragedy. So on a story level the connection made sense in the way that the birds and the bees don't. Especially for a male hero, where the father doen't enjoy the same immediate connection with a child that a mother does.

But even with women, it was easier to show Hippolyta creating a clay baby and wishing it life. In a visual medium--that deals in basic symbols--that story is more direct and obvious, rather than getting into details of biology that don't make for great visuals.

But with Damian Wayne, they have sort of done the same thing. The kid is fully formed by the time Batman finds him. So all that messy business with babies is avoided. But then they could have done the same retcon with Dick Grayson and established that Bruce had a one-night stand with Mary Grayson. In the old days, that wasn't possible--because Bruce having sex with anyone was not permitted. But now the comics have no compunctions about Bruce sleeping around.

With an adopted kid, you also have that wish fulfillment fantasy for kids. ANYONE could be Robin. Robin was someone that Batman found and trained. ANyone can picture themselves riding with Batman.

Most important of all... it's the TIME factor. Having a baby ages people. You can nail down the 9 months of pregnancy... you have the toddler years set in stone. With the sliding timeline the goal has always been to keep Batman in peak physical fitness... and that doesn't happen in your 40's. Damian being 10 years old... Means that Batman is MINIMUM 10 years past his prime, Ra's kidnapping Robin in his first appearance... means that now Dick is 10 years PAST being Robin... and I THINK that story happened when he was in college. So now Dick has to be 28 or so... If Damian starts to be shown as 13... 16.... etc? It only gets uglier and messier.

Then DC decides to reboot their universe into a 5 year gap and include everything... and everything implodes. f

As Barbatos said, they have no problem with blood relations in elseworlds and alternate earths... it really boils down to continuity and timeline issues that keep everyone adopted.

BANNED

With Batman, it seems like they didn't want him to marry and have a kid that way--or to be fathering kids outside of marriage. So Dick was adopted. But also, in terms of the dramatic tension of the story, it was better to show a one-to-one relationship between Batman born out of tragedy and Robin born out of tragedy. So on a story level the connection made sense in the way that the birds and the bees don't. Especially for a male hero, where the father doen't enjoy the same immediate connection with a child that a mother does.

But even with women, it was easier to show Hippolyta creating a clay baby and wishing it life. In a visual medium--that deals in basic symbols--that story is more direct and obvious, rather than getting into details of biology that don't make for great visuals.

But with Damian Wayne, they have sort of done the same thing. The kid is fully formed by the time Batman finds him. So all that messy business with babies is avoided. But then they could have done the same retcon with Dick Grayson and established that Bruce had a one-night stand with Mary Grayson. In the old days, that wasn't possible--because Bruce having sex with anyone was not permitted. But now the comics have no compunctions about Bruce sleeping around.
    Its more about doing something different from what I can see, there are only so many children Bruce can adopt.

About Bruce banging Mary, yeah I dont think any Dick fan wants that. If DC does something like that then that to me represents a more damaging and regressive mentality. That Dick cant be important unless he's a blood son or that Tim cant be important unless he adds Wayne to his name, we all know how that worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I feel like, outside of Dick Grayson, there's never been a more appropriate character to call himself "Robin" than Damien. Fits him well.

ROBIN, SON OF BATMAN is such a great title.
    I am agree with this..

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Is not my case... I prefer "son of Slade" than for example "son of Riddler"(I will hate that ), DC will ruin Damian..

I am not against this change(Slade son), goodbye Supersons, Damian is another normal robin.. But DC said in many ways(comics, films, videogames..) that he is SON OF BATMAN during 10 YEARS, this will never change..
    Last edited by adrikito; 03-11-2018 at 07:44 AM.

Alfred is Batman’s dad. OF COURSE Bruce is more comfortable with adopted parent-child relationships.

D.C. should stop its attempt to push Superman as its absolute pinnacle of heroism and the greatest hero of all time. They should put his universe "in a bottle" so to speak : whatever happens to him shouldn't ever affect the rest of the DCU, at least not in the way it is doing since Rebirth.

BANNED

Now that's a controversial opinion lol. I definitely disagree with it obviously but atleast its original.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    D.C. should stop its attempt to push Superman as its absolute pinnacle of heroism and the greatest hero of all time. They should put his universe "in a bottle" so to speak : whatever happens to him shouldn't ever affect the rest of the DCU, at least not in the way it is doing since Rebirth.
    I am only a little agree for Damian... He is appearing more in Supercomics than in Batcomics.. and for Supersons(where I can complain)..

He is the victim of this comic jokes.. In one case(the last time that I saw this comic) one cruel thing..

Why he should appear in one SUPER comic who only benefits superboy? Change this comic for SUPERson(the RSOB of Superman) and create one secondary character for superboy..
    Last edited by adrikito; 03-11-2018 at 10:08 AM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

DC should push Superman way more as the pinnacle of heroism. He is the Champion of the Oppressed. Let the stories reflect that. Move away from nostalgia and let creators push forward with the mythology.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

I suppose at this point in time it makes more sense for Tim to take a new name and Damien keep Robin indefinitely. Actually, Tim needs new name no matter what, because Red Robin is about the worst name this side of the Whizzer.

But ten years ago, or whenever it is that Damien took the mantle? I think he should've taken something original instead. It also feels fitting for his personality; would Damien ever accept a hand-me-down codename held by (to his mind) inferior people?

But at this point, it's Tim who needs to find a new name, and Damien should probably hold onto Robin.
    I think he would accept it if it was once held by Dick Grayson.

Red Robin really is such a terrible name. I wish all these "Formerly Known As Robin" characters would have gotten consolidated with the New 52. Keep Dick as the OG, maybe age him up a bit to more of a contemporary of Bruce. Damien (or whoever) could be your modern Robin. Tim and Jason...I'd just forgo them. I never liked Batman having a child's blood on his hands.

If you want Tim Drake, introduce him as a love interest for Steph and a overall supporting cast member for Steph and Cass together. He can help Black Bat and the Spoiler out on top secret missions as an Intel guy...maybe one day uncovering the secret identity of the Dark Knight and Boy Wonder!