Page 251 of 286 FirstFirst ... 151201241247248249250251252253254255261 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,765 of 4285
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Actually that would be Spider-Man. Steel, Plastic Man and pretty much every version of the Flash also fit that role more than Superman.
    Doesn't Spider-Man, like, run a giant tech conglomerate?

Superman is an alien refugee torn from his world. He was raised by farmers in nowhere Kansas. He's an investigative journalist who's primary enemy is a trillionare megalomaniac.

I'll wager that not enough is done with all that, but it's still there.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Superman was returned to his status as a Champion of the Oppressed during the New 52 era, and it wasn't welcomed well, to say the least. I would argue that he is today (again) a very paternalistic hero, especially now that he is the father of a super son.
    It was welcomed fairly well, just not followed up on much at all. The New 52 seemed to have lots of ideas but very little coordination.

I disagree with making him a father in the mainstream continuity, so I do agree with you on the last part. I think Batman works as a paternal figure, but Superman should always be a little lonely.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    It was welcomed fairly well, just not followed up on much at all. The New 52 seemed to have lots of ideas but very little coordination.

I disagree with making him a father in the mainstream continuity, so I do agree with you on the last part. I think Batman works as a paternal figure, but Superman should always be a little lonely.
    At least the Kents are dead ATM.

Incredible Member

Superman is an alien refugee torn from his world. He was raised by farmers in nowhere Kansas. He's an investigative journalist who's primary enemy is a trillionare megalomaniac.

Doesn't he have the fortress of solitude with its vast alien artifacts and exotic aliens. He makes his own robot guards. I don't know if he can still be considered a champion of oppressed

BANNED

That's just a recent direction contained only to Slott's book.

Fundamentally speaking Spider-man is embodiment the working class superhero. Superman doesn't come close to being that type of character. Even his dynamic with Luthor is far cry from working man vs business man. That's a bottom tier facet of their rivalry. The first and foremost facet is that both are ideal representations of humanity, Superman is the best of us while Luthor is the worst. Secondly Superman represents himanity's best ideal despite being alien while Luthor is an actual human. Then there are other facets like brains vs brawn, soft vs hard power, gifted power vs acquired power and so on.

I don't care what people say, I like "Legends Of The Superheroes"!

The vilification Diana got over killing Max was DC trying to have it's cake and eat it too. "Yeah we turned a fairly beloved character into a villain, but maybe if we have Wonder Woman kill and him and not feel bad about it, they'll be mad at her instead of us".

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Helena Wayne vs . Damian Wayne really should be a promoted fight.
    It already happened and wasn't as much fun as you might expected. Ended pretty quick. PowerGirl kicking Damian right i the butt was funny though.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Anyone claiming that the present-day shot-callers at DC Comics have some kind of Silver Age fixation seriously has NOT read any Silver Age DC comic books.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

The 1990s, like any other decade that DC Comics have been in publication, had its share of ups and downs. It's no more a "gold standard" for DC than the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 2000s, or 2010s were or have been. It can be YOUR personal gold standard (just as the period between 1977-1984 was mine), but it's not going to be everybody's.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    The 1990s, like any other decade that DC Comics have been in publication, had its share of ups and downs. It's no more a "gold standard" for DC than the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 2000s, or 2010s were or have been. It can be YOUR personal gold standard (just as the period between 1977-1984 was mine), but it's not going to be everybody's.

The 90s actually get a ton of flack, mostly from people who disliked what was coming out of Marvel and Image at the time. Its "downs" are typically more remembered than its "ups" even though DC was putting out a lot of strong content and really that was the last time the DCU felt like a fairly optimistic place.

Mighty Member

I wouldn't call these controversial but:

I always thought Tim and Steph were the only two sidekicks in the Batfam with no personality.

Gorilla Grodd would make more sense to me as a Vixen villain.

Suicide Squad may have gotten a sales boost due to Harley. BUT ALL THEY DO IS FOCUS ON HER. Everyone else is an afterthought.

Outside of the usual suspects, Batman`s villains aren't as iconic to the general public as people make it seem.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The 90s actually get a ton of flack, mostly from people who disliked what was coming out of Marvel and Image at the time. Its "downs" are typically more remembered than its "ups" even though DC was putting out a lot of strong content and really that was the last time the DCU felt like a fairly optimistic place.
    Nothing you say is untrue, but I get a bit annoyed when I see people snark about fans and DC writers/editors trying to force a "return to the Silver Age," and then in the next breath, demand full reinstatement of DC's 1990s status quo.

Invincible Member

I posted this in the community boards and someone there pointed out that it was more appropriate here...

But yeah, I flipped through the latest issue of Doomsday Clock at the LCS and I'm getting ready for some more attacks on "SJW DC."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Nothing you say is untrue, but I get a bit annoyed when I see people snark about fans and DC writers/editors trying to force a "return to the Silver Age," and then in the next breath, demand full reinstatement of DC's 1990s status quo.

A few important things to note here:

1. Unless someone is specifically criticizing the nostalgia factor, there isn't any hypocrisy. Even then, there are plenty of fans, myself included, who don't have any nostalgia for one particular era.
    2. We all like what we like and many of us just feel that things were better across the board then. Any hyperbole about how everything should go back to then completely is simply a matter of frustration that comes from how the concepts, characters and meaning of that era, on the whole, have been dismantled, destroyed and devalued in a way that wasn't done to the pre-90's material.
    3. The Silver/Bronze ages and the 90's/early 2000's eras have come to represent very different things. The former representing the classic, the status quo, what things will always revert to, while the latter represents moving forward, growth and age. Forget nostalgia, forget what era any one person thinks is the best, much like comparing the 90's to the last 15 years is to compare optimism to grim-dark bleakness, to compare the the previous eras is to compare traditionalism to advancement, and when the "Win" is given to the former, it can ring ideologically wrong.