Page 252 of 286 FirstFirst ... 152202242248249250251252253254255256262 ... LastLast
Results 3,766 to 3,780 of 4285
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Nothing you say is untrue, but I get a bit annoyed when I see people snark about fans and DC writers/editors trying to force a "return to the Silver Age," and then in the next breath, demand full reinstatement of DC's 1990s status quo.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Agreed. It honestly seems that they aren't annoyed at DC for catering to Silver/Bronze age nostalgia, but that they are not catering to their preferred nostalgia.

It's not like the returns of a few specific characters (Barry, Hal, Barbara as Batgirl and Kara as Supergirl) has prevented DC from attempting to create new characters and elements for the lore at the same time. We are not suddenly transported back in time here.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    2. We all like what we like and many of us just feel that things were better across the board then. Any hyperbole about how everything should go back to then completely is simply a matter of frustration that comes from how the concepts, characters and meaning of that era, on the whole, have been dismantled, destroyed and devalued in a way that wasn't done to the pre-90's material.
    I've seen people on here who grew up with the pre-COIE material who would probably disagree with that last part. Particularly in instances like what was done to Hal to make way for Kyle, and to a lesser extent, people talking about Barry as if he was always a bore and he only existed to die to make room for Wally, who surpassed him. Kara, meanwhile, could have been killed off and replaced by a legacy and it could have worked, but the route they went with ended up being that she didn't even exist period. That's about as "dismantled" and "destroyed" as it gets.

3. The Silver/Bronze ages and the 90's/early 2000's eras have come to represent very different things. The former representing the classic, the status quo, what things will always revert to, while the latter represents moving forward, growth and age. Forget nostalgia, forget what era any one person thinks is the best, much like comparing the 90's to the last 15 years is to compare optimism to grim-dark bleakness, to compare the the previous eras is to compare traditionalism to advancement, and when the "Win" is given to the former, it can ring ideologically wrong.
    Except the status quo hasn't fully reverted to what is was during the Silver/Bronze age either. Even with all their reboots, including the big one with Flashpoint, I don't think we've ended up transported back to pre-Crisis. Progression and reversion happen in waves. Sometimes it's a good idea to progress when a status quo becomes stale, sometimes when said progression wears out its welcome it's time to go further forward or revert to a classic iteration when there is renewed interest from fans and creators for it. It's hard to progress all the time because these stories are designed to continue indefinitely, so there are no set endings and a constant change of creative input, so they are not truly progressing towards anything.

There are pluses and minuses to all eras. YMMV on how much the 90s era progressed things across the board. Especially when the foundation for the continuity that would become that era was all about throwing out the past history and even starting some properties over from scratch (Superman and Wonder Woman in particular), which had a domino effect and played havoc with other corners of the DCU. After that precedent was set by Crisis and its toxic legacy, it's not surprising that they revert as often or more than they progress.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 03-31-2018 at 01:24 PM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Nothing you say is untrue, but I get a bit annoyed when I see people snark about fans and DC writers/editors trying to force a "return to the Silver Age," and then in the next breath, demand full reinstatement of DC's 1990s status quo.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Personally, I always think it's amusing when fans assume management's #1 priority isn't the profit motive and not bringing back characters and concepts from their childhood, but that's probably just me.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Black View Post
    I wouldn't call these controversial but:
    Gorilla Grodd would make more sense to me as a Vixen villain.
    I thought I was the only one who thought this lol

I think Vibe as a break dancer is cool.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

DC has too many characters, too much history and too many writers that they can't keep up on what's canon or not.
    I want there to be only one series per character. No multiple series for one character.
    Then if that character appears in a team, no solo for that character at all unless the team series is not big enough can not portray their personal life. Exception is if the solo series already exist before the team book.

Example:
    Batman has already established a big enough family so he can has his solo series on top of Justice League, but only one. Then, the Batman family members have to build their own story first in the pages of Batman to the point where they can't be contained before they are given their own series.

After that, each of those series has to be able to maintain sales. Otherwise, the main character will have to be folded back to the title they're originally born, to be given another chance once they've built a bigger fanbase.

Also, no more new characters until all the old characters have found a sustainable place.

By really limiting the number of titles published, they have a better chance of keeping things consistent.

I also want every writer to actually share their plot openly with each other. Everyone is working for the same universe so there's really no reason to keep secrets.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Personally, I always think it's amusing when fans assume management's #1 priority isn't the profit motive and not bringing back characters and concepts from their childhood, but that's probably just me.
    All joking aside, yes, profit IS management's #1 priority. However, that doesn't mean that they don't have other priorities, that those other priorities can't be personally biased or that their methods of achieving their priorities, including their #1, are logical in any sense.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

All joking aside, yes, profit IS management's #1 priority. However, that doesn't mean that they don't have other priorities, that those other priorities can't be personally biased or that their methods of achieving their priorities, including their #1, are logical in any sense.
    They definitely have other priorities, Assam, but I don't believe someone in top management would make a move based on their own personal preferences if it meant losing money for the company. Would you? I know I wouldn't if I were in charge of DC, since I don't believe I would like being fired. Now other priorities beyond personal preferences may indeed intrude - if one has racist views, i.e., that person might avoid diversity even it hurt the bottom line. But risking being fired because he or she wanted to relive their childhood by bringing back the Silver Age (or DCU, for that matter)? I just can't buy that.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Well, this will be controversial to some, but perfectly fine with others;

It should always be Lois and Clark for the Superman pairing, and Diana with Steve Trevor. Him with Wonder Woman always feels like the world rotated 45 degrees for me. In canon OR Elseworlds.

Not trying to start anything, but it is what it is for me.

BANNED

Kon-el is the most powerful teen on the planet

Bet u didn't know I was gonna say that lol

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post

Bet u didn't know I was gonna say that lol
    I figured he is a clone of supes.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    Could list off a handful of arguably or clearly more powerful teens, but for the sake of not starting an ultimately pointless power level debate...Black Alice.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Agreed. It honestly seems that they aren't annoyed at DC for catering to Silver/Bronze age nostalgia, but that they are not catering to their preferred nostalgia.

It's not like the returns of a few specific characters (Barry, Hal, Barbara as Batgirl and Kara as Supergirl) has prevented DC from attempting to create new characters and elements for the lore at the same time. We are not suddenly transported back in time here.
    No but they have gone out of their way to keep certain characters off the board to placate fans of the “icons”. I mean, can you really say that the Golden/Silver Age characters aren’t being treated better than the characters not from that era?

I've seen people on here who grew up with the pre-COIE material who would probably disagree with that last part. Particularly in instances like what was done to Hal to make way for Kyle, and to a lesser extent, people talking about Barry as if he was always a bore and he only existed to die to make room for Wally, who surpassed him. Kara, meanwhile, could have been killed off and replaced by a legacy and it could have worked, but the route they went with ended up being that she didn't even exist period. That's about as "dismantled" and "destroyed" as it gets.
    I’ll give you this for Hal and maybe Kara but I don’t see how Barry was dismantled and destroyed. He was treated with a great deal of respect even in death, by the company if not the fans. Certain people not liking him doesn’t change that.
    And even then, two wrongs don’t make a right. DC is just repeating the same mistakes they made then now.

Except the status quo hasn't fully reverted to what is was during the Silver/Bronze age either.
    It’s pretty damn close.

There are pluses and minuses to all eras. YMMV on how much the 90s era progressed things across the board. Especially when the foundation for the continuity that would become that era was all about throwing out the past history and even starting some properties over from scratch (Superman and Wonder Woman in particular), which had a domino effect and played havoc with other corners of the DCU. After that precedent was set by Crisis and its toxic legacy, it's not surprising that they revert as often or more than they progress.
    You can only blame the original Crisis for so much. Especially, when the whole point of Flashpoint and now Rebirth was to fix these supposed problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    No but they have gone out of their way to keep certain characters off the board to placate fans of the “icons”. I mean, can you really say that the Golden/Silver Age characters aren’t being treated better than the characters not from that era?
    Seems like Harley Quinn is being treated better than Catwoman. Look how many books feature Harley Quinn verses Catwoman. Catwoman is almost non-existent anymore other than being in the Batman comic book.
    Her solo series is gone and hardly ever shows up in any other book.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Seems like Harley Quinn is being treated better than Catwoman. Look how many books feature Harley Quinn verses Catwoman. Catwoman is almost non-existent anymore other than being in the Batman comic book.
    Her solo series is gone and hardly ever shows up in any other book.
    She wasn't in that many books even before Harley's solo. Plus being part of the main Batman book is not something to sneeze at.

Even then, I'd say this is the exception to the rule.

I love special covers. Embossed, foil,lenticular, variant. You name it. That's my ****.

Invincible Member

The Justice League movie is nowhere near as terrible as some people want to pretend it is.