Page 268 of 286 FirstFirst ... 168218258264265266267268269270271272278 ... LastLast
Results 4,006 to 4,020 of 4285
    Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Posted in the wrong thread.
    Last edited by The_Greatest_Username; 05-19-2018 at 07:24 AM.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Writing stories about how dark comics are ruining everything isn't clever or entertaining. if you want light-hearted content then just write it instead of making convoluted, philosophically-confused stories that revel in what they're supposed to be criticizing like Infinite Crisis and Kingdom Come.
    I always read those stories as being a call back to tradition rather than saying that superheroes need to be more light-hearted. Infinite Crisis happened at a time where the JLI were being decimated and the end of Kingdom Come implied that the good 90s heroes (i.e legacy characters) were going to stick around and do the right thing unlike those no-good 3dgy 90s characters that Magog was supposed to parody.

Kingdom Come is weird for me. When I first read it I wasn't familiar with DCs history. My exposure to DC was mostly video games, cartoons, movies, The Death of Superman, and Knightfall. So when I first read the book it really caught my attention. I had never seen art like that before in any comic or writing that deep. But as I read more of DC, the flaws in Kingdom Come became apparent. I think what Waid was trying to convey was how superheroes were becoming little better than the supervillains they fought against which had some credibility but then having read more of 90s DC it didn't quite gel. Almost came off like they were picking the worst examples of 90s superhero comics and using them to represent everyone.

Even what is considered a dark comic by superhero fans (at least from what I've heard online) is nothing compared to what I've seen in the indies, manga, or European comics. Even death can't have any consequence because if you are a popular character you don't get to stay dead.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think criticizing the dark trends in superhero comics wouldn't really work without said darkness being presented to contrast with the hopeful messages.

If the naive stances of superhero stories get to be deconstructed or criticized in other works, I don't see how it's unfair for the reverse to happen. Strawman arguments can exist in either take.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Evidently, it appears that my belief that the 1940s history of the JSA was not offensive because they had mostly straight, white men as the majority of the members in stories published back in the 1940s is now "controversial" since we're in the overly-PC-happy 21st century.
    Those characters were mostly straight white and male because at the time it was believed that having heroes who weren't straight, white, and male wouldn't sell. Also the general racism at the time didn't help matters. It's not like it came about organically. Same can be said about the original roster of the Justice League.

It's not like there weren't comics being made for Black audiences back then either. It's just that they're lost to time in a lot of cases and an extensive history hasn't been done for them yet. Look at comics like Torchy Brown and Lion Man.

You call it being PC-happy, but I see it as acknowledging that the world has changed and it does not make sense to have a majority white team in 2018.
    Last edited by Crazy Diamond; 05-19-2018 at 07:56 AM.

Forget Post-Crisis, my ideal DCU would be Pre-Crisis with the best elements of Post-Crisis thrown in. The biggest thing about Pre-Crisis being the classic characterizations of many of the characters like Superman and Batman. Batman became a lot more crazed and Superman became more human and wishy-washy. Keep many of the highlights of Post-crisis like Superman's death/return/wedding just make it an extension of the Silver/Bronze Age Superman instead of being a completely different charcter. Let modern-day Superman evolve from the previous version (like Silver to Bronze Age Superman did IMO), instead of being a completely revamped character every several years.

Spectacular Member RoamingGnome8's Avatar

- I didn't think Infinite Crisis and OYL were as bad as people say. There were things I really liked from it.

-One of my all time favorite costumes is Superboy's 90's original costume (some people love it, and some people really hate it) and I wish it would make a comeback. I also kind of miss Conner's more egotistical and showboating personality.

- I think the Young Justice animated series is a bit overrated.

-I don't really like Stephanie Brown, despite loving Cassandra Cain.

-While I do like Alan Moore's writing; I find his female characters kind of dull and boring.

- While I do like the Oracle/Nightwing ship, I hate how overdone it's become. I also dislike how Kori constantly gets put down by pro-Barbara/Dick Grayson writers.

-Making Jason Todd an anti-hero was a mistake, in my opinion. He should have stayed a sympathetic villain.

-I really liked the Bana Mighall and Artemis.

- WW does have great villains, they're just not utilized well.

- Steve Trevor, Lois Lane, and other civilian love interests don't get enough respect from fans.

-I'm still upset DC hasn't brought back George Perez/Marv Wolfman's 'New Teen Titans' as officially canon again. They defined the book and worked on it for about as long as Claremont wrote X-Men- it should be canon.
    Last edited by RoamingGnome8; 05-22-2018 at 02:32 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    Forget Post-Crisis, my ideal DCU would be Pre-Crisis with the best elements of Post-Crisis thrown in. The biggest thing about Pre-Crisis being the classic characterizations of many of the characters like Superman and Batman. Batman became a lot more crazed and Superman became more human and wishy-washy. Keep many of the highlights of Post-crisis like Superman's death/return/wedding just make it an extension of the Silver/Bronze Age Superman instead of being a completely different charcter. Let modern-day Superman evolve from the previous version (like Silver to Bronze Age Superman did IMO), instead of being a completely revamped character every several years.
    This is what I think they should be doing. Go back to the pre-Crisis continuity only treat it like they just moved forward from there. So you have the marriage, the death, Jon, all that stuff only he keeps all of his history. It would still be more stable than what they have now. Damien can still be Robin and Tim can still have been Robin.
    Assassinate Putin!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoamingGnome8 View Post

- While I do like the Oracle/Nightwing ship, I hate how overdone it's become. I also dislike how Kori constantly gets put down by pro-Barbara/Dick Grayson writers.
    It's easier to tear something down than to actually construct a proper argument for why something is appealing, at least with respect to shipping.

See: lulSuperWonder, Boris Lane, etc.

- I didn't think Infinite Crisis and OYL were as bad as people say. There were things I really liked from it.

-One of my all time favorite costumes is Superboy's 90's original costume (some people love it, and some people really hate it) and I wish it would make a comeback. I also kind of miss Conner's more egotistical and showboating personality.

- I think the Young Justice animated series is a bit overrated.

-I don't really like Stephanie Brown, despite loving Cassandra Cain.

-While I do like Alan Moore's writing; I find his female characters kind of dull and boring.

-Making Jason Todd an anti-hero was a mistake, in my opinion. He should have stayed a sympathetic villain.

-I really liked the Bana Mighall and Artemis.

- WW does have great villains, they're just not utilized well.

- Steve Trevor, Lois Lane, and other civilian love interests don't get enough respect from fans.

-I'm still upset DC hasn't brought back George Perez/Marv Wolfman's 'New Teen Titans' as officially canon again. They defined the book and worked on it for about as long as Claremont wrote X-Men- it should be canon.
    idk I find most of these pretty commonplace like civilian, Wolfman Perez, Babs and Grayson, Jason Todd, and Connor's costume.

For me I prefer Jason now. It leads to better stories and I do agree with YJ. The 2nd season was all over the shop.

Spectacular Member RoamingGnome8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    idk I find most of these pretty commonplace like civilian, Wolfman Perez, Babs and Grayson, Jason Todd, and Connor's costume.

For me I prefer Jason now. It leads to better stories and I do agree with YJ. The 2nd season was all over the shop.
    You'd be surprised- I've seen plenty of threads complaining about Steve.

Babs and Grayson tend to be the more popular ship than Kori and Dick, so people tend not to care if Kori gets trashed by writers.

Conner's 90's costume is weirdly either a fan favorite or seen as all the problems of the 90's encapsulated. There are people that love it or people that absolutely hate it with a passion.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

DC could replace the current DCU with the good universe from the Injustice comic and it would still be more stable than what we have now.
    Assassinate Putin!

I feel the same way even though I've come to like him now. But yeah, he could've been a sympathetic and very personal villain.
    For a long time I felt like he should've stayed dead. His was one of the few comic book deaths that really meant something and wasn't to be taken lightly.
    Last edited by Slim Shady; 05-23-2018 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    I feel the same way even though I've come to like him now. But yeah, he could've been a sympathetic and very personal villain.
    For a long time I felt like he should've stayed dead. His was one of the few comic book deaths that really meant something and wasn't to be taken lightly.
    Jason as a villain was the only way I like the character. Without him being a villain he just gives into bruce and starts playing by his rules again. Jason being part of the bat family just doesn't work and makes everyone weaker as characters.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

The DCU will never truly be fixed unless the Pre-COIE Multiverse and its history are fully restored.

Dick Grayson should have had one last adventure in the Robin costume in A LONELY PLACE OF DYING before handing it off to Tim Drake.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    The DCU will never truly be fixed unless the Pre-COIE Multiverse and its history are fully restored.

Dick Grayson should have had one last adventure in the Robin costume in A LONELY PLACE OF DYING before handing it off to Tim Drake.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)

Besides everything counting,what specifics were in play different than post crisis for each character?