Page 282 of 286 FirstFirst ... 182232272278279280281282283284285286 LastLast
Results 4,216 to 4,230 of 4285

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    Strongly disagree. If anyone can learn magic then it isn't special.
    There are plenty of stories were magic is learned that depict it as something very difficult to master.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    Homo magi are pointless. Magic should be something you learn.
    Strongly disagree. If anyone can learn magic then it isn't special.
    There are plenty of stories were magic is learned that depict it as something very difficult to master.
    I suppose I prefer to see it as something one can learn, but something that requires a predisposition. By way of example, many have no talent for music, but even the truly gifted have to give their whole lives to its study to truly master it.

No one is born with the ability to be a brain surgeon, but not everyone can do it.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Lois Lane, Selina Kyle, and Steve Trevor should have a six-issue action and adventure, mystery miniseries as the Truelove Triad at DC Comics.
    I'd be down with this.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    No one is born with the ability to be a brain surgeon, but not everyone can do it.
    I never said everyone should be able to do magic just that it's better being something learned as opposed to being born with.

BANNED

Comics companies aren't biased against married protagonists. But experience has shown that marriages don't tend to work well for fictional characters.

Why do you think so few characters in television dramas are married? It's because television figured out long ago that this is generally a bad idea. Marriages inject clutter into a scenario.

https://www.cbr.com/why-comic-publis...hero-weddings/

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Comics companies aren't biased against married protagonists. But experience has shown that marriages don't tend to work well for fictional characters.

Why do you think so few characters in television dramas are married? It's because television figured out long ago that this is generally a bad idea. Marriages inject clutter into a scenario.

By what metric are you asserting that marriages don't tend to work?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    By what metric are you asserting that marriages don't tend to work?
    If fictional marriages were generally a good idea, then most fictional protagonists would be married, wouldn't they? But most of them are not married. There has to be a reason for that, doesn't there?

If you're writing a story with a protagonist who's married, then a lot of the story will have to be about the person's marriage. Is that what people want to see when they turn on a dramatic television program? On soap operas, yes, but in general, no.

Besides that, when a fictional character starts out being single and then you marry him off, you've fundamentally charged the scenario. Why would DC fundamentally charge the scenario of Batman, which is by far its most successful property? Most of the people who want Batman married would get tired of it and would recognize it was a bad idea within three years.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-09-2018 at 06:44 AM.

Ultimate Member

If fictional marriages were generally a good idea, then most fictional protagonists would be married, wouldn't they? But most of them are not married. There has to be a reason for that, doesn't there?

If you're writing a story with a protagonist who's married, then a lot of the story will have to be about the person's marriage. Is that what people want to see when they turn on a dramatic television program? On soap operas, yes, but in general, no.

Besides that, when a fictional character starts out being single and then you marry him off, you've fundamentally charged the scenario. Why would DC fundamentally charge the scenario of Batman, which is by far its most successful property? Most of the people who want Batman married would get tired of it and would recognize it was a bad idea within three years.
    I think it depends on the character.

Superman has been, on and off, 'with' Lois for decades, despite a few attempts to introduce 'spoiler' women like Cat Grant into his life, he always ends up back with Lois. I don't think it would significantly change who Superman has been for most of our entire lifetimes if he put a ring on it. Batman has been, for most of my lifetime anyway, a moody obsessed loner who managed to even drive his various Robins away. Marrying him off seems like a misstep. Barry and Wally Flashes have both worked as married adults. Ditto Aquaman and Green Arrow and Black Canary. Hal has kind of always been a bit of a loose cannon (which has recently been re-interpreted as 'immature frat-boy,' but whatevs) and so marrying him off would, IMO, mess up his juvenile manchild characterization (not that I *like* that characterization, but it is what it is). Wonder Woman is right out, for different reasons than Batman. Nobody's putting a ring on Diana, IMO.

I'd be fine with Superman, Barry-Flash or Wally-Flash, Aquaman, Green Arrow, Black Canary, etc. being married. I don't think it would seriously alter their character dynamics.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I think it depends on the character.

Superman has been, on and off, 'with' Lois for decades, despite a few attempts to introduce 'spoiler' women like Cat Grant into his life, he always ends up back with Lois. I don't think it would significantly change who Superman has been for most of our entire lifetimes if he put a ring on it. Batman has been, for most of my lifetime anyway, a moody obsessed loner who managed to even drive his various Robins away. Marrying him off seems like a misstep. Barry and Wally Flashes have both worked as married adults. Ditto Aquaman and Green Arrow and Black Canary. Hal has kind of always been a bit of a loose cannon (which has recently been re-interpreted as 'immature frat-boy,' but whatevs) and so marrying him off would, IMO, mess up his juvenile manchild characterization (not that I *like* that characterization, but it is what it is). Wonder Woman is right out, for different reasons than Batman. Nobody's putting a ring on Diana, IMO.

I'd be fine with Superman, Barry-Flash or Wally-Flash, Aquaman, Green Arrow, Black Canary, etc. being married. I don't think it would seriously alter their character dynamics.
    Look no further than Earth 2 for a married Wonder Woman with Steve Trevor no less.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

If they get married, then those comics will largely become about the characters' marriages. What can the writers show about marriages that will interest readers? The couple discussing where to go on vacation or what to have for dinner?

That's why fictional protagonists tend to be single. Nobody cares about married couples doing married stuff. You might think you want to see it, but once you do, you'll want rid of it.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

By what metric are you saying most of them are not? Anecdotal or "I feel it" isn't a metric.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    By what metric are you saying most of them are not? Anecdotal or "I feel it" isn't a metric.
    I don't understand the question. Are you saying that most of the protagonists of television dramas are married?

Boisterously Confused

For television dramas, a lot of it depends on the demographic the character or show is intended to pursue. I don't know that marriage "clutters" things, or that it's necessarily "a bad idea" in and of itself. That said, the demographic most hotly pursued by advertisers skews younger, and producers may think it's easier for younger viewers to project themselves onto single characters.

As for comics, I sometimes wonder if today's writers think sustained relationships somehow limit a character just because they don't know much about sustained relationships. DC had several examples of marriages that didn't have to impede the adventure in any way: the pre-Hawkworld Hawks, Elongated Man/Sue (I still think Meltzer has got a tar-and-feathering coming for screwing up that one), and Aquaman/Mera. Some of the drama in those characters' stories was built around their marriages (i.e. Black Manta's murder of Aquaman and Mera's son, or the Hawks' contention with Mavis Trent).

It wouldn't surprise me to find that comics writers are making the same assumptions tv producers are: "our audience either isn't married, wants to fantasize that they're not, or wants the freedom to 'ship' the characters to their hearts' content."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    For television dramas, a lot of it depends on the demographic the character or show is intended to pursue. I don't know that marriage "clutters" things, or that it's necessarily "a bad idea" in and of itself. That said, the demographic most hotly pursued by advertisers skews younger, and producers may think it's easier for younger viewers to project themselves onto single characters.

As for comics, I sometimes wonder if today's writers think sustained relationships somehow limit a character just because they don't know much about sustained relationships. DC had several examples of marriages that didn't have to impede the adventure in any way: the pre-Hawkworld Hawks, Elongated Man/Sue (I still think Meltzer has got a tar-and-feathering coming for screwing up that one), and Aquaman/Mera. Some of the drama in those characters' stories was built around their marriages (i.e. Black Manta's murder of Aquaman and Mera's son, or the Hawks' contention with Mavis Trent).

It wouldn't surprise me to find that comics writers are making the same assumptions tv producers are: "our audience either isn't married, wants to fantasize that they're not, or wants the freedom to 'ship' the characters to their hearts' content."
    Showing Steve McGarrett, Danny Williams, Chin Ho and Kono chasing down Wo Fat, and meanwhile working in scenes from their marriages, is a no-go. That's why you don't see it. When the marriage scenes came on, people would change the channel.