Page 48 of 286 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148 ... LastLast

Fans who use the terms "sexism" and "diversity" (among a few other similar terms) to push their own agendas, rather than making an unbiased judgement call on the actual work. Push your politics somewhere else and employ some critical thinking using actual logic and reason, not your over-caffeinated emotions.

Fans who use the term "iconic" as only a way to defend a negative opinion about a current title. No, that old....whatever....is not "iconic" its just old. Very few things are actually "iconic". In comics, I'd say that there are five truly iconic characters; Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Robin, and Spider-Man. Others might come close (Flash, Captain America) or currently be enjoying a spike in popularity (Iron Man). That does not make them iconic.

Writers who say their next story is going to "shake the hero to his/her very core!" or are "getting back to basics" or are doing "the biggest game changer ever and nothing will ever be the same!" or are "going to find the hero's humanity". Those statements are almost certainly going to ensure I stop reading.

Hal Jordan is a terribly boring character who has had the good fortune to be in lots of good stories.

Nathan Fillian could probably change my mind about Hal Jordan.

Deadpool is not funny.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Fans who use the terms "sexism" and "diversity" (among a few other similar terms) to push their own agendas, rather than making an unbiased judgement call on the actual work. Push your politics somewhere else and employ some critical thinking using actual logic and reason, not your over-caffeinated emotions.

Fans who use the term "iconic" as only a way to defend a negative opinion about a current title. No, that old....whatever....is not "iconic" its just old. Very few things are actually "iconic". In comics, I'd say that there are five truly iconic characters; Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Robin, and Spider-Man. Others might come close (Flash, Captain America) or currently be enjoying a spike in popularity (Iron Man). That does not make them iconic.

Writers who say their next story is going to "shake the hero to his/her very core!" or are "getting back to basics" or are doing "the biggest game changer ever and nothing will ever be the same!" or are "going to find the hero's humanity". Those statements are almost certainly going to ensure I stop reading.

Hal Jordan is a terribly boring character who has had the good fortune to be in lots of good stories.

Nathan Fillian could probably change my mind about Hal Jordan.

Deadpool is not funny.
    First and 3rd are soooo spot on.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by steeplejack2112 View Post
    Understood. Then let me point out that POC is a very incorrect way of putting things. How about POSC? I understand what you're saying, and although you apparently think I'm stupid, this is comics....there are varying colors beyond what we know in the real world. People in the real world have POSC who represent them on teams everywhere these days, so basically it becomes a race/heritage issue thereby taking out the issue being about color alone. Don't make it about just color....make it about what it truly is.
    Now I have no idea what the f**k you're talking about.
    Last edited by LoneNecromancer; 10-28-2015 at 03:10 AM.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Now I have no idea what the f**k you're talking about.
    I think they'd like diversity not to remind them that certain skin colors exist. If diversity can mean green aliens, there's no need to mess up a perfectly cool story with black people or something.

Not that I know, for sure, what POSC is supposed to mean. People of Special Skin Color, for those skin colors not found on actual human beings?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

I do NOT want to see the Waynes murdered or little Kal-El launched into space ever again.

BANNED

I finally broke down and watched two episodes of The Big Bang Theory.

Stupid as hell, amazingly unfunny.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I finally broke down and watched two episodes of The Big Bang Theory.

Stupid as hell, amazingly unfunny.
    agree, and it has a big audience...

fanboys just can't deal when people say that what they like is problematic

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I think they'd like diversity not to remind them that certain skin colors exist. If diversity can mean green aliens, there's no need to mess up a perfectly cool story with black people or something.

Not that I know, for sure, what POSC is supposed to mean. People of Special Skin Color, for those skin colors not found on actual human beings?
    You're close enough. POSC=Person of Specific Skin Color. I have no problem with African American, Native American, Indian, Asian, or any other race/heritage when it comes to diversity. My point is, is that if you're going to make this just an issue about skin color, then why should it be limited to those colors that are represented in the real world? Even comic fans of different races/heritage should get that.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

You're close enough. POSC=Person of Specific Skin Color. I have no problem with African American, Native American, Indian, Asian, or any other race/heritage when it comes to diversity. My point is, is that if you're going to make this just an issue about skin color, then why should it be limited to those colors that are represented in the real world? Even comic fans of different races/heritage should get that.
    Sure!

Six white people and one green dude are good enough!
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Because it's people in the real world that feel underrepresented. Why would anyone really care about the representation of a fictional race. I find it hard to believe you truly don't understand the difference but the topic is about controversial opinions so...

1. Dick Grayson was more interesting as Batman than Bruce.

2. Comics should show more progression.

3. De-powered Superman is more enjoyable than fully powered Superman.

4. Dick Grayson should be the best (heroic) HtH combatant on the planet. This is based on the fact that he's naturally gifted and has been training longer against dangerous opponents from a young age.

Retired

Even though the comic book fans like to say Fredric Wertham was wrong about everything, at the same time they post many of the same thoughts that he had in SEDUCTION OF THE INNOCENT.

He was attacking comics for the way they used people of non-white skin colour, fostering racism. And he worked in Harlem with Black youth, so he would have seen firsthand how the image of Black people in comics (shown either as feeble servants or evil savages) impacted the psyche of Black children.

He was attacking Batman and Robin for having some kind of homosexual relationship mixed with pedophilia. Which I think is a wrong interpretation on so many levels. Yet comic book fans say the same thing about those comics.

He was attacking Superman for being a Fascist. Again something I don't agree with--but you get comic book fans and comic book writers saying the same thing about Superman.

He was attacking Wonder Woman for being a role model to girls--but the wrong role model in his mind. Not just because there was a level of Lesbianism in the comics, but because WW was as strong as a man and was born from clay, formed by her mother. In other words she had no father--she didn't even have the decency to be born from Zeus like Athena. Well, I guess comics have fixed all that and made Wonder Woman better according to Wertham's standards, because at least WW now has a daddy and she's got a boyfriend who's more powerful than her.

I still don't think that Wertham would have liked anything in today's comics. But the stuff we see in other entertainment and in society generally would tend to contradict his diagnosis of the problem. However, I don't see comics and the fanbase actually doing anything to contradict Wertham's premise. Comic books are ultra-violent and many adults would rather have comics as their own preserve rather than written for children.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

This is one of my pet peeves as well. The term "icon" should be reserved for a symbol that represents a particular concept as shorthand. Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman certainly do fit that criteria, and I'd argue Captain America (the American Dream) over the others you cite. Icon has become such an overused term that it no longer has any meaning beyond "something that is popular".

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Because it's people in the real world that feel underrepresented. Why would anyone really care about the representation of a fictional race. I find it hard to believe you truly don't understand the difference but the topic is about controversial opinions so...
    Christ....never mind. I forgot how uptight people are in here most of the time.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

All works of art are political. They are byproducts of the context under which they are made. The difference is if the politics happen to not annoy readers who get upset at having to see say another Black person or a woman in their favorite cartoon, video game, book, or movie they are deemed apolitical and thus safe and proper.

Also, I've never understood why fans should care whether a character is iconic or not. I mean, Superman is iconic, but if his book sucks who cares?