Page 61 of 286 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161 ... LastLast

Everything Alan Moore touches is at LEAST reasonably good, if not, amazing.

Master of Kung Fu by Doug Moench is in the top 3 greatest stories ever written.

Superman is actually a bland and boring character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Serd View Post
    Because it is the controversal opinion thread:

The whole game of solicitations, speculation, interviews, clues and disscussions is almost as important to comics and comicfandom as the comics themselves. Without all this you would read a title for 10-30 minutes a month and lose interest pretty quickly. All this surounding the title keeps you going.

Because of that, only the big titles sell. The big titles that will probably keep been published and so keep been discussed. With "Batman" you can be sure to be invested and to talk about future issues and your guesses. With titles like "Prez" nobody wants to discuss, so why should you care?
    Wrestling promoter Vince McMahon said that people love two things -- a buildup and a return. What you've described there is the love that people have for buildups.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I'm different in that regard. I'm a follower of both characters and writers. I know I enjoy certain characters (or character types in the case of independent companies) and certain writers so those are the characters or writers I tend to follow.
    Same.

There are writers out there who I will follow no matter what they're working on. Soule for example, gets an issue no matter what the book is. I might not stick around past that, but I like his writing and he's done more than enough great work to earn the benefit of my doubt.

Likewise, any title staring Superman gets an issue, no matter who the writer is. Again, it might only get that one issue, but Superman is a character I adore and I'll give anything with him a shot.

But I need a good story (by my subjective standards) to stay with a book. I dont buy into blind loyalty to talent or characters. I refuse to give away my money on a product I dont enjoy.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaLantern View Post
    Teen titans can be good without it's pre-Flashpoint history and having that history will not automatically make the current run better.
    Anything can be good without the history, it's just that the history makes Titan books better and for lack of a better word "important".

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Serd View Post
    I can see that too and to be honest, for me it is also a mixture of writer and character.

Even if i like a character, i need a good writer and the right hook to keeo me interested. As much as i like Wolverine, only Charles Soule had a new and interested angle in the last years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    But I need a good story (by my subjective standards) to stay with a book. I dont buy into blind loyalty to talent or characters. I refuse to give away my money on a product I dont enjoy.
    I'm the same way. I need to like both before I'll even consider spending my money on it and the story itself has to have some kind of hook to keep me reading. If I like the characters or writer they will get an issue or maybe two from me as well but if for some reason I'm not finding the title to my taste I don't spend my money on it beyond that.

That brings me to this opinion of mine: Spending money on something one clearly doesn't enjoy is a waste.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

All fans count. New fans, old fans, fans who came on with a writer, fans who left with an artist, women, men, young and old, absurdly dorky or brilliant and suave, all fans count.

The fans that think they count more or think that others count less because they're a different kind of fan might be better to ignore a little, though, for commercial and aesthetic reasons. (Plus, they can drive someone insane if a career is spent trying to please just them.)
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

I follow characters I like regardless of writer,yeah I'm happy when the quality is high,but the character is the draw,the reason I'm into comics.

I love superheroes,the bright and positive ones that still save the day,and enjoy doing it,while knowing it's the right thing to do,and actually live and hero by a code.

Kon-El is a result of humans trying to recreate a God

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    All fans count. New fans, old fans, fans who came on with a writer, fans who left with an artist, women, men, young and old, absurdly dorky or brilliant and suave, all fans count.

The fans that think they count more or think that others count less because they're a different kind of fan might be better to ignore a little, though, for commercial and aesthetic reasons. (Plus, they can drive someone insane if a career is spent trying to please just them.)
    I agree with you.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

WonderWoman should have a male sidekick.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post

What you said about "commercial reasons" has me thinking that perhaps it's more accurate to say: "All customers count."

If someone says he's a Superman fan, but he hasn't bought a new Superman comic book since 2011 --when he tried the first couple of issues' worth of the New 52 titles about Superman, and then quickly lost interest, let's say -- then is there any real reason that the guys at DC should be particularly concerned with his opinion about what sort of stories "they ought to be telling" in the current Superman titles? Doesn't it make more sense to worry about the opinions of those fans who actually put their money where their mouth is, by keeping a close eye on what's happening in Superman's current titles, and buying the runs that they find particularly entertaining, while ignoring the rest?
    Last edited by Lorendiac; 11-04-2015 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorendiac View Post
    What you said about "commercial reasons" has me thinking that perhaps it's more accurate to say: "All customers count."

If someone says he's a Superman fan, but he hasn't bought a new Superman comic book since 2011 --when he tried the first couple of issues' worth of the New 52 titles about Superman, and then quickly lost interest, let's say -- then is there any real reason that the guys at DC should be particularly concerned with his opinion about what sort of stories "they ought to be telling" in the current Superman titles? Doesn't it make more sense to worry about the opinions of those fans who actually put their money where their mouth is, by keeping a close eye on what's happening in Superman's current titles, and buying the runs that they find particularly entertaining, while ignoring the rest?
    Well, I wouldnt want to ignore the rest. You always want to be bringing in new blood after all. But I dont think abandoning the interests of your established fanbase for the chance of getting a new audience is a good idea either. Unless of course, the established fanbase isn't sufficient to pay the bills.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Most changes that John Byrne made in Superman were bad, and the title became waaay better after he leave.
    DC Comics went downhill after Janette Kahn left.
    The Killing Joke destroyed the Joker. Not because of Alan Moore, but because of untalented writes that still try to copy that story all the years after. Now everytime that the Joker appears in a Batman comic, we have to read those boring dialogues about Joker and Batman relashionship.
    Infinite Crisis and Indentity Crisis are probabaly the worst comics DC published.
    Batgirl of Burnside, Black Canary and Starfire from DC YOU have a very sexist approach on female characters.
    Hal Jordan is boring. Emerald Twilight was his first good comic. He should have stayed dead.
    Everytime i try to watch a super hero cartoon, i fall asleep.
    Dick was the most bland Robin.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
    Batgirl of Burnside, Black Canary and Starfire from DC YOU have a very sexist approach on female characters.
    That's a pretty bold view, what brings you to that conclusion?

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbytes View Post
    That's a pretty bold view, what brings you to that conclusion?
    Don't think we will lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lorendiac View Post

Well Marvel nearly went bankrupt partially (but not only) because they spent years only pleasing existing fans while becoming less accessible to new/casual readers. Joe Quesada and Bill Jemas pulled Marvel back partially (but not only) by worrying less about existing readers and more about how to get new readers in.