Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default What Are The First Comics You Read?

The ones that really got you hooked on comics?

As a young boy in the late 70s, my dad brought home a garbage bag filled with comics...

These were much of the contents:

Jack Kirby Captain America
    Jim Shooter/George Perez Avengers
    Steve Gerber/Sal Buscema Defenders
    Chris Claremont/John Byrne Marvel Team-Up
    Jim Starlin Captain Marvel

I was a lucky young man...

Spider-man.

I wish 7-11 and convenience stores like it still sold comics. I know kids can get them on iPad instantly, but I'm old and to me it's just not the same experience as picking up your first comic book.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

First comics I read when I was 7 or 8 were Tintin and Asterix. I also read The Phantom strip in the newspaper every day for several years. What got me hooked on comics proper was reading Watchmen 5 years ago.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

I read a newspaper reprint of an early Spidey story where he fought Doctor Doom. It was insane, unrealistic, and blew my 7 year old mind.
    Cyclops was right

Superhero comics or any comics? Because the first comics I read ever TECHNICALLY were the Calvin and Hobbes comics.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thor View Post
    Superhero comics or any comics? Because the first comics I read ever TECHNICALLY were the Calvin and Hobbes comics.
    Comic books. That is the focus of this ENTIRE web page, forum, et cetera...

Amazing Member

My first comic books were from the mid-to-late-1970s and included Challengers of the Unknown 86 and 87, Avengers Annual 6, Justice League 138 and 142, Marvel Classics Comics War of the Worlds and Ivanhoe, Ghost Rider 28, Avengers 163, An issue of Charlton's Space War that had giant ants on the cover, a couple issues of Gold Key Star Trek and Boris Karloff, a few Richie Rich and Casper comics from Harvey and Super-Team Family 8. I read them all so many times that most are coverless, but I've still got most in my collection. No need for upgrades on those priceless gems.

It was 1990, I was 4 years old, my father took me somewhere and bought me a comicbook at a newspaper stand so I can "read" something on the bus. It was the first Batman comic published in Hungary, Alan Moore's Killing joke.
    Yeah, my 4 year old mind was sucked into a vortex and got lost forever. I was aware of Batman and Superman (because of the Fleischer cartoon's and I've seen Batman commercials on tv) but this was the first real comicbook I've seen. I didn't understand a single word or event but I loved it and after that I've read every comic I could.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

First proper comic I ever read was Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 2 #17, and it was creepy as hell. This was while Sandman was 'dying' from Venom's bite (instilling in me a lifelong thought of Venom as a terrifying A-lister, as he was spoken if in the issue in incredibly threatening terms--if this guy was so tough, how powerful must be the one who did this to him?), and the opening was him going up to a bunch of bums as he melted, a ketchup bottle he tried to grab from them slipping through his hand and squirting in a way clearly meant to evoke blood, and a full page shot of him shrieking as he continued to fall apart. I was just barely 5, and it messed me up but good. Apparently in a good way though, as I kept up with it. And there's a quote in there that I think actually sums up my view of Spidey pretty well:

"Fine! Everything that can go wrong does go wrong... ...fine! Children in trouble. drug busts...the Sandman! Fine! Fine! Fine! I'll handle it all! I'll save the day! I'll beat the bad guy! And I will get to my blasted job interview! Because... ...I'm going to have a life!"

Some of the major first reads, courtesy of a father collecting for decades, were

Ultimate Spider-Man
    Essential Spider-Man Vols. 1-5
    Essential Fantastic Four Vol. 1
    Alan Moore's Supreme
    Superman Adventures (which I threw away years later, not bothering to look back at the creator credits and see that it was a bunch of Scott McCloud and Mark Millar comics!), and some Batman Adventures
    The first Giant Batman and Superman Annuals
    The Greatest Batman/Joker/Team-Up Stories Ever Told (from the 80s)
    Superman and Batman 30s-70s collections

I started collecting properly with Batman R.I.P., and it's been off to the races ever since.
    Buh-bye

My first ever superhero comic was Fantastic Four #172. Shortly after that, I got Avengers #161, though the whole Shooter/Byrne/Perez run was one of the things that got me hooked. JLA #159 was my first JLA issue, and I started collecting the Legion of Super-Heroes with the Earthwar story, though the Levitz run in general got me hooked.

Was about 4 or 5 and I do not even know how I got them but the Man of Steel reboot by Byrne and have been reading since then.

Amazing Member

My first comics that i remember reading are Asterix, Tintin, Jo Zette and Jocko, Phantom, Mandrake, Flash Gordon, Archie. Remember the childhood days when dad used to bring in comics from the local lending library on his way back home from work....
    Last edited by Maximus; 06-26-2014 at 10:55 AM.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

My first real comics were Garfield pockets. Had about 20 of them before reading any other comics
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Amazing Member

Would the mini-comics packed in with Super Powers and He-Man toys count? Because it's very probably those.

Can't remember my first comic (probably the Garfield Sunday strips) but regarding the first time I saw a superhero comic, it was one of these two (or maybe both). I tried to read it but it was too advanced for my little brain, so I had to go back to the usual stuff and hope that one day I'd be able to "graduate" to my brother's level.

655-1.jpg

664-10.jpg
    An unabashed DC Fanboy (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).