Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Oh my god, zombie thread!

Wow, a lot has happened since this discussion started.

In the comics I have no idea what I would do with Superman now. Hire some writers I really trust and say "Good luck!" I guess.

Actually, and this is crazy talk and likely something spawned from a lack of sleep and a really hard day at work, but maybe I'd take this moment to reboot him.

Wait, no. We're not going to reboot him. We're going to un-boot him.

Let him remember everything. Every version. Let the world around him change Crisis after Crisis, but let Superman be constant. He *is* the guy from 1938. He *is* the guy from 1986. 2011. 2016. Red Son. All-Star. Donner. That's an approach you dont see every day and it makes everyone's favorite version as valid as the next. And it doesnt provide much of an upgrade to powers or ability either. It'd basically just be writing him as old and experienced without him actually having to be old. Those extra memories arent going to provide much his senses couldn't figure out anyway.
    Well you kind of got what you wanted
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I don't know. A western type superman story with an outlaw superman leaping all over the place.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Well you kind of got what you wanted
    Ha! Indeed. A classic case of "be careful what you wish for."
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I almost feel like you'd have to recreate the whole DCU on a Multiverse scale at this point? And since I'm already effectively playing make-believe, about being in charge of Superman, it's not much of a jump to pretend I'm in charge of DC as a whole, so I might as well!

Earth 0 - Basically a version of what I wrote back in July 2016, except I've long since stopped caring about maintaining what's going on in the mainline DCU.

This "Earth 0" universe would feature a young Superman in his prime for whom there is no job too big, no job too small, working with a Justice League of "classic" heroes, who are all based more or less on their most "classic" selves, like a Ditkovian Vic Sage for example. Darkseid is more of a fascist than a god, Bruce Wayne isn't emotionally stunted, Robin (whoever they are) is still the Boy Wonder rather than "Kid Batman", and Wonder Woman has a kangaroo mount. Et cetera.

Earth 1 - A Legacy world wherein Jon is Superman and absolutely nobody from the classic League is still on the team. Nightwing is team leader, Damian is adjusting to being Batman, and Wally West is the adult Flash with Wallace as the Kid Flash, and Montoya is the Question. Kal has no secret identity and runs the Authority, but tries to stay out of JL business unless Jon asks him for advice.

Most of the titles for the whole of DC would be split between lines on those two worlds, with Earth 0 being the "Main DCU," where "the illusion of change" is more important than actual change, and Earth 1 being a secondary DCU where nothing is certain and time can move forward at breakneck pace - more like real life.

I've got other ideas, including an "Earth 2" that combines the pre-Crisis Earths One and Two into a single world where Superman started in 1938 but had been active as Superboy since 1928, and an "Injustice" based world where Earth 1 Batman discovers after they defeat the fascist Superman and Wonder Woman, that the two were actually Ultra-Humanite and Paula von Gunther in stolen bodies! But if I was boss of DC, most of the books would definitively take place on Earth 0 and 1.
    Last edited by Adekis; 10-31-2021 at 09:15 AM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Back when 5G was going to be a thing, I was really hoping we'd get something like this; books set in different eras, so you'd have a classic Superman book, and a Superman book set in the present with Jon. A Batman book set back when Dick was Robin, and one set today with Damian, etc.

Seemed like that would be a good way to advance the overall narrative and appeal to new demographics without losing the established fans. Easier to accept the idea of Jon as the new Superman if you still have a classic Clark book to read as well, yknow?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Back when 5G was going to be a thing, I was really hoping we'd get something like this; books set in different eras, so you'd have a classic Superman book, and a Superman book set in the present with Jon. A Batman book set back when Dick was Robin, and one set today with Damian, etc.

Seemed like that would be a good way to advance the overall narrative and appeal to new demographics without losing the established fans. Easier to accept the idea of Jon as the new Superman if you still have a classic Clark book to read as well, yknow?
    We kind of have that: Superman ‘78 is “classic” Superman in his classic status quo. Waid is seemingly doing a World’s Finest book set in the past, and his BL project with Hitch will assuredly be classic status quo as well. Then you’ve got Taylor using Jon and PKJ doing an outed, weaker Clark.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

We kind of have that: Superman ‘78 is “classic” Superman in his classic status quo. Waid is seemingly doing a World’s Finest book set in the past, and his BL project with Hitch will assuredly be classic status quo as well. Then you’ve got Taylor using Jon and PKJ doing an outed, weaker Clark.
    Exactly. For all the hand-wringing I read from fans, DC has been doing a pretty decent job of diversifying the Superman line so that there's a little bit of everything for many different kinds of readers. Is every title going to appeal to everyone? Nope, but it shouldn't have to. As long as there's at least one title getting published each month that you're interested in, that's better than fans were getting when the entire line was stuck doing one kind of thing and, if that didn't appeal to you, you were out of luck.

True. And 78 has been a complete, nostalgic gem. I'm pretty salty on the influence Donner has had on the character and even I am enjoying the crap out of that book so far.

I meant books set within the main continuity, but I actually tend to prefer the out-of-continuity stuff more, like Smashes the Klan, so I'm fairly satisfied as a Super fan.

~ Black Panther.

Oh my poor 2015 self. I had no clue. Blissful, blissful cluelessness.

But I still think Earth-0 should be revealed to be Earth-Two. I've never let go of that because it just makes so much damn sense considering the direction continuity has taken. That idea will rot in my pocket, I won't let it go.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-01-2021 at 04:42 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I’d go back to 4 Superman titles, 2 set on Prime Earth (Superman MoS & Action Comics) with Jon as PE Superman, while Clark, Lois, et al (Superman, Adv. of) set on New Earth. On Prime Earth we’d have the WildStorm teams (Authority would be the new Justice League, WildCats the Outsiders, Gen 13 the New Titans, etc.), while New Earth would have the JLA, JSA, Titans, etc., and we’d have yearly team ups between the two universes. New Earth would have Con and Matrix, while Prime Earth would have Kara, and stories from the past set up as Superboy (Super Sons hoooooo).
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 11-01-2021 at 05:29 PM.

Wow! Complete control of Superman All aspects. So much power lol. A few of the threads on this post I agree with.

1. Comics- 4 titles per month. Action Comics- The focus of this title would be Superman's grandiose/sci-fi/ cosmic adventures. Clark is Kryptonian, an alien so why not have a title that focuses primarily on him dealing and interacting with other aliens and alien societies that live on earth or off planet. Have the adventures range from fun one off trips like taking Lois and Jon to a alien theme park or something like that or to a alien camp ground. Other stories could include thought provoking stories about aliens and humans co-existing. ONe government agency want Aliens to live on earth and another government agency who see them as threats and do whatever they can to get them off world kinda like a more menacing Men IN Black. Basically Humans and Aliens coming into conflict with Superman and maybe even Jon and Kara standing in the middle

Superman- The monthly main title comic- While Action comic focuses on scale and sci-fi alien things, this title would focus on Kal-El's role in society as the Heroic symbol of HOpe Superman. The goal would be pull Superman out of this dour and cynical funk that seems to seeping into every form of comics. Yeah the world is shit which is why we need stories that's full of hope and optimism. Superman connecting to the people that he protects. Expand the supporting cast. I've always thought that while Superman does have Kryptonian tech he never truly utilizes it, so why not have him get a tech guy. More Kal-El and Kara stories together. Maybe have her tell him more details about Krypton. The stories could be epic in tale with Lex Luthor or Mongul or even Darkseid type of stories. Or quiet thoughtful, heartfelt stories. Also expanded his rogue gallery more. More Unique villains, villains that only Superman can stand against.

Son of Superman The third title. As the title states the adventures of Jon Kent. Him still discovering himself, his powers and his role in a world where everyone past, present and even in the future looks to his father for guidance because he is the greatest hero to have ever existed. Have him struggle with that. I hate that Bendis aged him up but what's done is done.

Supergirl- Fourth and final title. Kara's adventures as the Cousin or closest Kin and the only other full blooded Kryptonian. She doesn't have to operate in Metropolis but another city. She can be apart of a team or she can be on her own with her own set of villains and supporting cast.

2. MOvies- I would totally and complete throw away Zack's SNyder's influence upon Superman. IMO he's one of the ones responsible for this obsession with Evil Superman streak I've been seeing since freaking Man of Steel came out. Man of Steel was ehhh at best and everything after that was just terrible. Go back to the drawing board and have a decent movie with superman done. NOt necessarily an origin story because that's played out too, but a story that hits all the emotional beats that remind ppl why Supes is the greatest. Have it be something we've never seen before. Superman again, is alien have a movie about him meeting other aliens like himself who don't exactly have the best interest of Earth in mind. Have him fight Lobo who's trying to collect a bounty set on him by Darkseid. Have him fight parasite, something or someone new and have Lex Luthor lurking in the background. I've got a ton of Ideas for a movie.

3. TV series- Keep Superman and Lois, I love that show. I hate that jon doesn't have powers yet but season 2 is on the way so there's hope. Get another show, animated show about Superman. An Animated Superman Year One type of show. Or an Older Superman set in the Legion of Superheros era, in the show Superman is guiding the new heroes of tomorrow by telling them stories of yesterday with a vital lesson at the end of each episode.