Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mbast1 View Post
    Here's the problem.
    What happened was wrong, and I don't buy for a minute it wasn't because he's muslim. It does happen to other kids, very true, but listen to the people going on about how it's ok TO profile muslims, but then say that's not what's going on.
    On the other hand, we DO live in a world where access to weapons, including biological weapons, is become easier to get. I know that. So SOME fear is rational.
    But we can't allow ourselves to be driven by fear to the point where it's ok to treat this group or that as if they're genetic criminals, or that their religion makes them suspect, or anything like that. That's not where we need to go.
    They KNEW it wasn't the bomb.

They whole point of the police interrogation was that they thought he was using it to scare people by using a fake bomb.

They looked at him and thought "Muslim!" And immediately went to terrorism and threats and bombs. And they never entertained the thought, "Possible nerd", who liked to tinker with things, put things together and take them apart.

(Moreover, his sister was bullied and suspended for three days because some of HER classmates falsely accused HER of making a bomb threat. Bigotry all over the place).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Right, but that wasn't my point. I was responding to the line of logic that said that "if nothing had been done, and it had been a bomb, how would you feel"? Some fear about proliferation of weapons IS rational, I think, but this isn't rational at all.

They looked at him and thought "Muslim!" And immediately went to terrorism and threats and bombs. And they never entertained the thought, "Possible nerd", who liked to tinker with things, put things together and take them apart.
    Right, seems likely. Again, I can't read minds, but from the actions AND the defenses of those actions, probably right.

(Moreover, his sister was bullied and suspended for three days because some of HER classmates falsely accused HER of making a bomb threat. Bigotry all over the place).
    Well, isn't that special.
    What is wrong with people?

Incredible Member

Trying to say it wasn't because he's a muslim, but then going on about how dangerous muslims are really seems a bit odd.
    Also, don't ignore how many terrorist acts have been committed by non-muslims here, and they aren't profiled. Hell, there was a report by DHS that was pulled because it dared to talk about how dangerous some right-wingers are.
    Then to complain that this is the fault of a 14-year-old? And then to go on about how he didn't interact like an adult in how well he "should" have talked? Give me a break. I know plenty of engineers (my gf is one), and a LOT of them don't have great people skills. And they're adults. Maybe he was one of those. I don't know.
    The rest of this is BS. Just people complaining about how things aren't what they are, and then the inevitable "they're worse than we are" BS, as if that's a justification.
    So, it might BE less reliable.

"What happened to you was wrong, but let's explain why this it's ok to act as if it's not because you have the temerity to be muslim."
    Give me a break. Victim blaming, and fear-driven conspiracy nonsense.
    Oh come on, if you define terrorism as vandalism for some cause then terrorism is pretty broad, if you concentrate on the acts that involve murder and death and rape of women, then there is one group that stands above all others in the world right now. The radicalized muslim group. This is the main point Bill makes, and anyone, ANYONE who denies it has a personal hatred for reality.

I think the culprit of this particular strain of broken thinking you exhibit is a misapplication of the liberal ideal of equality. That and a deep aversion to chastise members of a minority group. People want to grade on a curve if not white because lets face it, they're ONLY muslims, they can't be EXPECTED to have the same standards that WE have....

Equality should be applied to peoples basic rights as human beings, not to peoples behavior, culture, ideas. That last is the most important, it's important because too many liberals are confused and seemingly unaware that all religious beliefs are merely a collection of ideas, good and bad that people hold. And the notion that thinking that collection of beliefs A are worse than collection of beliefs B is some sort of terrible violation of being a proper liberal of ridiculous.

I liken religious beliefs, frankly all beliefs as a kind of pathogen or viral strain, where the payload is a collection of ideas not rogue dna that infects the host organism. Some pathogens and viral strains are relatively benign, hell, some might even be beneficial to the host in many ways, but some can cause issues. And here is the point, EVEN IF ITS TRUE that several viruses can cause the hosts death and not JUST the something like the big bad ebola, ebola is still a more destructive virus than say hiv. In total deaths? No, but in terms of mortality rate? It's WORSE. Some viruses, some ideas are EASIER to mutate into malignant forces in the body or mind. That is the point, an obvious point, a point ANY clear thinking human being on this earth ought to agree with, and fall down on bended knee and swear fealty to. But no. You can't say ONE religious belief system has more material for violence than another, they are all EQUALLY good or EQUALLY bad, as if F*cking IDEAS are EVER supposed to be given the shield of the egalitarian ideal. It's a disgrace and RAPE of the concept of equality when so badly misapplied.
    Last edited by Sammael; 09-21-2015 at 11:22 AM.

Incredible Member

They whole point of the police interrogation was that they thought he was using it to scare people by using a fake bomb.

Reports also said he was not forthcoming with what it actually was, almost like he wanted something that looked quasi like a bomb to get a reaction. If he just said it was a homemade clock it would have diffused the situation. Watch the bill maher video that's been posted for some accounts of why it happened.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ravyn View Post
    Ok, so this is the first I've heard of this, and my initial reaction is that this rich actor, who plays a superhero fighting for justice, decided to publicly side with the white majority instead of a lone 14 year old muslim kid in handcuffs who was arrested simply because brought a homemade clock to school.

What a gigantic dick move.
    You probably should have read the article, because it is obvious you don't have the first idea of what is happening with this story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I'm in the camp that really doesn't think anything wrong, and thinks it's ridiculous that the comment was consideted controversial.
    It wasn't. But, these are very sensitive times we live in these days. Special snowflakes MUST continue to let us know JUST how special and important they are, even when they aren't.

BANNED

I've been online a long time, been involved in a lot of discussions, and this is dead on. PC has become a meaningless code for "things liberals say I don't want to hear". All the while ignoring similar or worse behavior that doesn't bother them from their own "side". And calls for curtailing free speech when it comes to issues they think shouldn't be allowed.
    No, not really. I am Liberal as they come, and the new Left is nothing more than a right wing Fascist stormtrooper brigade. A lot of it may be the age of the participants, but they are the most dour, humorless sensitive group I have ever encountered. It's amazing how they don't realize that they are nothing more than the Liberal version of Free Republic.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

So when we reach the critical mass of Outrage Overload, when literally nobody can muster the energy anymore to care about other people's outrage... will all the outrage farming stop on both sides of the political fence? And since anger is the only emotion with motivating power, what will politicians do then to attract support? Formulate policy positions based on logic and common human decency? j/k

Thank God for carbohydrates and high fructose corn syrup. They've made us too fat and sleepy to fight a civil war, and that's the only thing saving us right now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    So when we reach the critical mass of Outrage Overload, when literally nobody can muster the energy anymore to care about other people's outrage... will all the outrage farming stop on both sides of the political fence? And since anger is the only emotion with motivating power, what will politicians do then to attract support? Formulate policy positions based on logic and common human decency? j/k

Thank God for carbohydrates and high fructose corn syrup. They've made us too fat and sleepy to fight a civil war, and that's the only thing saving us right now.
    On one side, you will have the Free Republic warriors, Rascals all charged up and ready to go, as long as there aren't any minorities and gays in the neighborhood. On the other side, the out of shape Generation Y's, who will probably be ready, but they have to post to tumblr about how they deserve a good job, they totally have a degree in Gender Studies, apply for SSI after being triggered by a Facebook post by someone they don't know, and then tweet about the whole war.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    No, not really. I am Liberal as they come, and the new Left is nothing more than a right wing Fascist stormtrooper brigade. A lot of it may be the age of the participants, but they are the most dour, humorless sensitive group I have ever encountered. It's amazing how they don't realize that they are nothing more than the Liberal version of Free Republic.
    Stronger language than I would use, but I share the basic sentiment.

What we're seeing now is very near what I, in the bygone days of my youth, envisioned as a potential worst case scenario in the dawning days of the burgeoning PC movement. As a society we basically empowered the thought police without consideration or regard for what would happen when a new sheriff rolled into town.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    Reports also said he was not forthcoming with what it actually was, almost like he wanted something that looked quasi like a bomb to get a reaction. If he just said it was a homemade clock it would have diffused the situation. Watch the bill maher video that's been posted for some accounts of why it happened.
    Not exactly. Reports (quotes from the police) said he wasn't forthcoming about what it wasn't. One of the reasons he was held and questioned as long as he was is that, according to police, when asked what it was and what it was for, he would only reply that it was a clock. They chose to interpret this as being uncooperative and not forthcoming, because he wouldn't say that it was intended to be suggestive of a bomb.

In other words, it was the classic "if she floats, she's a witch" style of interrogation.

BANNED

Oh come on, if you define terrorism as vandalism for some cause then terrorism is pretty broad,
    Murdering abortion doctors? Blowing up Federal buildings? Mailing anthrax?

This is the main point Bill makes, and anyone, ANYONE who denies it has a personal hatred for reality.
    So if people disagree with your POV, then THEY have the problem? Interesting.

People want to grade on a curve if not white because lets face it, they're ONLY muslims, they can't be EXPECTED to have the same standards that WE have....
    I've seen this BS before, and it's pretty pathetic. I've seen NO ONE say those who commit the acts should get a pass because they're "only muslims", ever. So, this is a clear strawman. The point is that you can't tar ALL muslims with the same brush.

Equality should be applied to peoples basic rights as human beings, not to peoples behavior, culture, ideas.
    I don't disagree, but says who, exactly? Do you think standards are what you say they are because you say they are?

too many liberals are confused
    Of course...
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 09-22-2015 at 06:10 PM.

BANNED

BS. He told a number of people what it was. But, the problem here is that this is nothing but innuendo. "Almost like"... As if that's not meant to bias the discussion. Yeah, those sneaky muslims...
    I DID watch, BTW. It's BS.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    They chose to interpret this as being uncooperative and not forthcoming, because he wouldn't say that it was intended to be suggestive of a bomb.
    Yeah, that's what I saw, too, and it's also how others have been reacting. "Well, if he were innocent, he would have done X..."
    People are awful. They want to believe the kid was at fault, and no one can change their minds, damn it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    What we're seeing now is very near what I, in the bygone days of my youth, envisioned as a potential worst case scenario in the dawning days of the burgeoning PC movement. As a society we basically empowered the thought police without consideration or regard for what would happen when a new sheriff rolled into town.
    You think this is new? People have been trying to control other people's language forever, and pretending that's not what they were doing so that they could complain when it's done to them for about as long.
    Look up the Comstock Act, look at how early attempts at contraceptive education were dealt with, and so on. Let someone say "Yeah, it's probably rude to say this group is bad, or use that derogatory term for that group", and people act as if it's the end times.