Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mbast1 View Post
    You think this is new?
    Do I think what is new? Attempts to curtail free speech and free expression? No, and I never said nor implied I did.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Do I think what is new? Attempts to curtail free speech and free expression? No, and I never said nor implied I did.
    You kinda did

in the dawning days of the burgeoning PC movement.

That implies it was fairly new.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    Reports also said he was not forthcoming with what it actually was, almost like he wanted something that looked quasi like a bomb to get a reaction. If he just said it was a homemade clock it would have diffused the situation. Watch the bill maher video that's been posted for some accounts of why it happened.
    This is wrong. He said EXACTLY what it was, what it was for and why he built it.

He did EXACTLY what you said would have diffused the situation and the police used it as a justification to arrest him.
    Last edited by gwangung; 09-21-2015 at 12:42 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    This is wrong. He said EXACTLY what it was, what it was for and why he built it.

He did EXACTLY what you said would have diffused the situation and the police used it as a justification to arrest him.

If so then you're right. I need to research this more as I just went off the details of that video on real time with bill maher. That said, a suitcase looking clock = looks kind of like a potential bomb. Period.

BANNED

If so then you're right. I need to research this more as I just went off the details of that video on real time with bill maher. That said, a suitcase looking clock = looks kind of like a potential bomb. Period.
    It was not a suitcase. It was about the size of a human hand. The case was originally designed to hold pencils.

Also, his engineering teacher, who he showed it to, knew it for exactly what it was.

Also, this is what the police at the time, said.

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/644175344887574532

And....Bill Maher is terrible on matters of Islam; he lets his bigotry loose on that subject.

And....Bill Maher is terrible on matters of Islam; he lets his bigotry loose on that subject.

Well, he's equal opportunity in his opinions of the world's religions. When he tears apart Christianity and its shortcomings, is he still a bigot to you? Or do you look the other way?
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    Well, he's equal opportunity in his opinions of the world's religions. When he tears apart Christianity and its shortcomings, is he still a bigot to you? Or do you look the other way?
    Maher obviously doesn't like the idea of religion, and I don't see anyone that offended by his views on Islam being offended by his views on Christianity.
    If you are going to white knight one, should you White Knight all of them?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mbast1 View Post
    You kinda did

in the dawning days of the burgeoning PC movement.

That implies it was fairly new.
    Nope.

It implies that the PC Movement was new. Which it was, back in the early 90s. It does not, however, imply that the concept of pressure group censorship tactics were new.

Fantastic Member

Angry nerds on Twitter or Tumblr are not a powerful voting bloc, and they sure as heck aren't the political establishment.

The "PC" that has been in place in the US for a long time expects you to profess love for your country, support the troops, and be a card carrying capitalist. Much of it also expects you to be religious, and specifically Christian. We've never had a non-Christian President (they all swear in on the Bible despite how the government is supposed to be secular), and every President makes sure to tell people how religious he is.

Much of American PC also expects you to be prudish about sexual topics compared to a number of other countries. It expects traditional gender roles, and it makes a mockery of "feminists." I don't think I know a single man in real life who'd proudly claim the "feminist" label in public (I'd get laughed at if I identified as one). American PC might also expect you to define marriage as "between a man and a woman." Despite increased tolerance toward gays, homosexuality is still treated as icky or a source of comedy in mainstream media.

But if you say "happy holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas," or that gays deserve marriage equality, or that Muslims shouldn't all be demonized, well that's just a step too far. You'd be "PC" and thought policing.

Right now, we have a leading presidential candidate who is also the most famous Birther in the world, someone who shot to the top of the polls by bashing Mexicans. Someone who didn't speak up (as other Republican candidates had the decency to) when a supporter recently asked him about the country's "Muslim" problem, falsely accusing Obama of being a Muslim as if it should even matter. Again, this candidate is achieving wild levels of political success with millions of American citizens. He claims not to care about liberal "PC," although he has clearly tapped into a lot of the actual PC out there.

But it's the liberal tweeters and the Tumblr fangirls who embody "PC" and who are leading the nation into the dark depths of fascism. America needs to put a stop to them so the tens of millions of people who outnumber them would be safe to express all those other opinions I mentioned above...
    Last edited by JimRaynor55; 09-21-2015 at 02:40 PM.

Incredible Member

It was not a suitcase. It was about the size of a human hand. The case was originally designed to hold pencils.

Also, his engineering teacher, who he showed it to, knew it for exactly what it was.

Also, this is what the police at the time, said.

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/644175344887574532

apparently 14 year olds now have engineering teachers

Saying it's a clock, when it kind of looks like it could be a bomb, is not enough to remove suspicion. Remember that guy who was about to gun down the train in France? He said he was just going on there to rob people. You don't just blindly take peoples word, just by the look of the device it should have been taken and the kid questioned. They should still apologize to him since it was in fact a clock, but stop playing a fool when you look around dumbstruck that people would be suspicious of the device, and yes him.

Why is that last wrong? Because he has brown skin and muslim? It makes SENSE to be more suspicious and err on the side of caution, like they said in the video, this was in Texas where not too long ago some people WERE gunned down by radical muslims. It's not some concern or fear out of left field like "raping" mexican immigrants that some Trump nut believes.

As for Bill Maher being terrible on Islam, no, he is clear and right about it. The people who disagree here just reveal their own delusions. Islam DOES have issues in modern times because the entire world over we have example after example of religious muslims gunning people down or blowing them up, or kidnapping women and keeping them as sex slaves, using their RELIGION as a rationale for their actions. You don't like that reality, tough, it is what it is.

Umm, a few points of clarification. Looking at the image, I know of no bomb that requires you to plug it into an outlet to work, lol. I mean how dumb do you have to be to think the below is a bomb? More importantly, the teacher confiscated the bomb and wait for it CONTINUED TO TEACH CLASS. The police were not called until after the class was over and the teacher spoke to the principal. So either they all knew it wasn't really a bomb or this would be the dumbest response to an alleged bomb in the history of the world.

So no, it didn't make sense at all. It was stupid.

0916ahmedclock.jpg

Also, here is a story of a kid who built his first bomb at 10 and his first NUCLEAR REACTOR at 14 (the youngest person in history to ever do so). What did the authorities do to this possible terrorist? They celebrated him as a genius and the Department of Homeland Security invited him to discuss his projects with them. Oh wait, that's right, he's white.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/28576...-taylor-wilson
    Last edited by remydat; 09-21-2015 at 03:16 PM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    Moral of the story: Stereotyping is good, so long as its against white people.
    Moral of the story. There is a time and place for everything. His comments were dumb not because he was wrong but because they were misplaced right after a 14 year old kid was arrested and interrogated when the cops knew it was not a bomb.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/irvi...-arrested-him/

Like boo hoo, people were making fun of the state of Texas for what happened. Duh, it's the internet. That's what people do when something this dumb occurs. But no one was arresting Texans and dragging them away from their school in handcuffs were they? Thus, the problem with his comment was that he was more concerned about defending the state of Texas ie some abstract group of people more than he was about denouncing the stupidity of the people involved in this situation. Hence why his comments come off as morally equating the two. Communication is not merely about the words you say but rather how you say them and when you choose to say them. To pretend otherwise is silly.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

BANNED

apparently 14 year olds now have engineering teachers
    Not surprising at a high school dedicated to science and engineering.

Saying it's a clock, when it kind of looks like it could be a bomb, is not enough to remove suspicion. Remember that guy who was about to gun down the train in France? He said he was just going on there to rob people. You don't just blindly take peoples word, just by the look of the device it should have been taken and the kid questioned. They should still apologize to him since it was in fact a clock, but stop playing a fool when you look around dumbstruck that people would be suspicious of the device, and yes him.
    They did not act like it was a bomb.
    They did not lock down the building.
    They did not evacuate the students.
    They did not call the bomb squad.

THEY KNEW IT WAS NOT A BOMB. (And frankly, only stupid people who let their fears rule their reason would think its a bomb).

The sole reason they bullied this kid was because they got it in their tiny heads that he was prone to terrorism because he was Muslim. That was the ONLY reason. That's not rational. They had a preconceived idea about him and allowed no other fact to displace it. They were, in fact, bigots.

The same as you.

Astonishing Member

That and stupid zero tolerance rules that require teacher to report every stupid little thing, even they know it's not really a bomb, or , gun, or knife or anything actually dangerous, because stupid zero tolerance rules...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    I've watched his stuff for years. He is FAR worse about muslims. Far worse.