Spectacular Member

Default Starting a Comic book convention sketchbook. Have questions.

So after going to going to two comic cons the past couple weeks in Cincinnati Ohio I've decided I would like to start a sketchbook. I ran into a guy who had both a flash and an ambush bug sketchbook. He had many sketches in it and I watched Chris burnham draw a Flash for him. It was really cool.

So now I really want to start my own. I have a few questions though

1. I am a big Legion of Super Heroes fan and was thinking that I would perhaps like to have a Legion sketchbook. However many artists would not be able to draw Legion characters from memory. Is it rude to ask say, Chris Burnham, to draw cosmic Boy? Would I be better off having a general sketchbook or picking a more popular character like Flash or Green Lnatern.

2. Do many artists usually draw in sketchbooks for 20-40 dollars.

I dont think its rude by any means to request a certain character. Hell, in my experience a lot of the time artists are happier to draw a character theyre not normally associated with as its a welcome change of pace.
    That said, you should probably have a few options for them in mind so they have a bit of freedom. And be able to provide them with reference images should they not be familiar with whoever you ask for.

As for prices it vary widly depending on the artist.
    A lot will do quick doodles for free, but more complex headshots and busts will usually cost a bit extra.
    Most usually have their rates displayed on their table, but if not you can always ask. Being polite counts for a lot.

BANNED

I agree. Maybe copy some "Who's Who" type pages and have them in the back for reference.

Spectacular Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate your responses. I'm excited to get this going

Amazing Member

i get asked to draw a lot of… lesser known characters at cons. providing a sheet with a few samples of the character helps a lot! especially if there are many versions of a character over the years.
    otherwise an artist can just look them up on their phone, but that's assuming the con has decent reception, which is a big assumption.

and ditto dark-flux on the pricing. most artists i know have no problem daring in a sketchbook.

and be sure to have your contact info in the book! it's surprisingly easy for a book, it's owner, and the artist drawing in it to not be in the same place at the same time, and you don't want anything to happen to it!