Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Unhappy Witchblade & Darkness Universe

Just started reading these books. I love the art and story but am a little confused by the overall universe with so many multiple titles. Artifacts seems essential reading as well. How about Aphrodite? I noticed they were not solicited in the current previews? Any thoughts on these books would be welcome. I don't see much discussion on this site about them?
    Last edited by DanTheMan; 06-06-2014 at 04:30 AM.

The Aphrodite IX series is not a part of the Darkness/Witchlade series per se. The Aphrodite androids are, and Aphrodite IV is in Witchblade. Aphrodite IX is taking a break. There is supposed to be a season two.

Darkness and Witchblade are connected, and the first 24 issues of Artifacts or so are also heavily connected to Darkness/Witchblade.

For the most part, I don't like what they did with the characters after the reboot a couple of years ago. Witchblade has been handled pretty well. Good art, good stories. The changes they did with the supporting cast, e.g. Dani, don't feel right, but at least they make some sort of sense. Darkness and Artifacts sort of lost their way, IMO.

The current titles of Witchblade, Darkness (not current as is cancelled i guess), Cyber Force, Aphrodite IX and Artifacts are all part of the same universe. Though not necessarily connected. Just like how say Batman and Green Lantern are related.

Aphrodite IX has been a great read and imo Top Cows best book since it launched. Its due to end next issue, then it has a crossover with Cyber Force before eventually being retooled as The IXth Generation.
    Not sure on the status of Cyber Force.

For my money, i didnt enjoy Witchblade as much since rebirth as it seemed to regress into more of a 90s era style over substance affair. Not necessarily a bad thing but not to my preference. Its getting back on track now that Marz has returned.

Hines Darkness i found enjoyable. Just a bit naff that it seemingly ignored the end of Hesters run. But as its own thing it was a good read. Sad that its at an end...

Artifacts has felt a bit directionless for a while now. Now that its going to focus more on Tom & Tilly im hoping itll improve.

Thread should be renamed Top Cow Universe, btw

Fantastic Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

I think the whole reboot was to kick off Artifacts and reset the old characters and freshen things up. I have read tons of Witchblade, but thought the book got goofy toward the big finale. I did like Seeley's treatment of the character in Chicago, but now that has been dropped from the timeline like it never happened. I think that whoever is in charge is trying to get their equilibrium back on this. I think Marz had a lot to do with it. It hasn't gone smoothly. I would have been a lot happier with the old Witchblade set up in NY with that set of characters. But that ship has sailed. I haven't read much Aphrodite IX yet. I hear it is decent but there has been a lot of great books out and I am a little wary of Top Cow after the reboot.

I liked the environment Tim Seeley created with the Witchblade rebirth, but not really digging how it was dropped when Marz took back over the book. I still read it, hoping for something other than the usual Witchblade/Darkness/Angelus stories. Aphrodite IX has been the best Top Cow book since it launched so I hope it comes back after its hiatus this summer. I dropped Artifacts at #34 (I thought it was going on hiatus also) but I may pick it up again when/if a stable creative gets on board and the run of Top Cow Talent Hunt winners is over. Cyberforce is delayed so much I forget that it exists.

My recommendation: Get trades of Aphrodite IX and Cyberforce in preparation for the crossover this summer.

The first 20-30 or so issues of Witchblade are solid, I can say that much. I haven't read any more. Not for any particular reason. The Angelus miniseries or whatever it was starring Dani(?) and her partner and struggles with the other angels(?) was cool. There's tonns of fun one-shots too like spin-offs with JLA and others.

I thought they were doing well with the whole Artifacts and Universe reboot they did. However, they really dropped the ball with the Darkness. Darkness Falls, where Jackie was supposed to die, was announced over one year ago and never came out. Yet, Witchblade and Artifacts carry on like the events of Darkness falls happened and we're supposed to know that. The delay has really disappointed me.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    I thought they were doing well with the whole Artifacts and Universe reboot they did. However, they really dropped the ball with the Darkness. Darkness Falls, where Jackie was supposed to die, was announced over one year ago and never came out. Yet, Witchblade and Artifacts carry on like the events of Darkness falls happened and we're supposed to know that. The delay has really disappointed me.
    The part with Darkness being dead except in the delayed Darkness series is also annoying me. Also that suddenly the series is stopped and will be finished in a mini-series or a graphic novel, but so far no word on either.

Spectacular Member

the darkness falls will be handled in witchblade as a few issues last i heard. it is a pity, i had actually quite a few pages drawn already...alas it was not destined to be!

I'm just getting into the Witchblade\Darkness universe. I'm getting my first stack of trades in a couple of weeks. I did have a few questions for you folks

1) Anyone know the status of the Witchblade Compenduim Vol 3
    2) Are the following charcters import to Witchblade since i'm not that fond of the Darkness,
    Magdalena
    DarkChylde
    Aspen
    Tomb Raider
    Cyber Force
    Aphrodite XI
    I'm collecting from issues 101 - 150 when did Dani show up did she do a cameo in 100.
    Truth is the best policy

1) Nobody knows!
    2) Magdalena has various interactions and crossovers with Witchblade over the series. Thats the one most worth checking out.
    Tomb Raider had a few crossovers in the early days. No real bearing on later issues.
    Though TBH, The Darkness is much more close knit to Witchblade than any of those mentioned.
    3) Dani first appeared in 100, yes.

Though id suggest starting from #80 as that was the start of Marz' run.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    1) Nobody knows!
    2) Magdalena has various interactions and crossovers with Witchblade over the series. Thats the one most worth checking out.
    Tomb Raider had a few crossovers in the early days. No real bearing on later issues.
    Though TBH, The Darkness is much more close knit to Witchblade than any of those mentioned.
    3) Dani first appeared in 100, yes.

Though id suggest starting from #80 as that was the start of Marz' run.
    Thanks Dark-Flux this helps i was planning on getting the magdalena runs, theres something about the darkness that i don't know doesn't interest me maybe because it seems like a villan book.

I'm ordering in 2 weeks can't wait to read about Dani,Sara, Patience and Finch

Whats your thoughts on issues 1-80 would i be wise in thinking about getting the orgins TBP
    Truth is the best policy

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by VolcanikTiger86 View Post

Whats your thoughts on issues 1-80 would i be wise in thinking about getting the orgins TBP
    The first 8-issue arc is good. But after that the series just drifts aimlessly with no real story or direction.

Quote Originally Posted by VolcanikTiger86 View Post
    I'd say the first 20 to 24 issues are worth getting, as there is a lot of tie-in to The Darkness. Between this and the start of Marz' run, there is a few good stories, IIRC, but in general, it was rather bland.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpace View Post
    I'd say the first 20 to 24 issues are worth getting, as there is a lot of tie-in to The Darkness. Between this and the start of Marz' run, there is a few good stories, IIRC, but in general, it was rather bland.
    So from what i hear the best of the run seems to be up to 24 and then nothing that speculator until about 80. Thanks Guys I changed my mind i'm going to order me some witchblade next week, can't wait.
    Truth is the best policy