Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Universal Monsters: Dracula by James Tynion IV and Martin Simmonds

There’s no brand more legendary in horror than Universal Monsters, and there’s no horror comics writer working today who’s more acclaimed than James Tynion IV. So horror fans have double cause to rejoice: the Eisner winner will be writing a four-issue Universal Monsters: Dracula limited series for Skybound, with art by his creative partner Martin Simmonds! Check out two gorgeous covers for the series’ first issue after the following details on this can’t-miss release…

Skybound Entertainment, the creator-led, fan-focused multiplatform entertainment company, in partnership with Universal Products & Experiences, has announced Universal Monsters: Dracula, a new four-issue comic book limited series from the best-selling, Eisner Award nominated team of James Tynion IV (W0rldtr33, Something is Killing the Children) and Martin Simmonds (Swan Songs). The first issue will be available in comic book shops on Wednesday, October 25, 2023.

This collaboration between Skybound and Universal is the latest milestone in a near decade long relationship that encompasses film and video games, and now comic book publishing.

“It’s been an absolute thrill to watch the powerhouse duo behind The Department of Truth breathe new life into this legendary story,” said Alex Antone, Editorial Director at Skybound Entertainment. “Perfect for both new fans and horror afficionados alike – the Universal Monsters are as timeless as ever!”

The comic book miniseries will unfold over four suspenseful issues, with the first installment plunging readers into the eerie world of Dr. John Seward after he admits a seemingly delusional new patient to his asylum. Recounting chilling tales of a demonic entity residing next door, the skeptical doctor attempts to rationalize the unexplainable, but his adopted daughter Lucy mysteriously succumbs to the malevolent influence of the enigmatic Count Dracula.

“A few times in my life I’ve had the pleasure of writing about one of the great pop culture icons, but there is something singular about Dracula that made this opportunity too good to pass up,” said James Tynion IV. “The challenge in front of Martin and I is to take the bloody heart of the Universal Pictures classic and find a bold new way to bring the character to life. It’s been one of the most exciting creative challenges of my life, and I am phenomenally excited for you to see the horrors we have in store for you.”

“Dracula has always been a horror favorite of mine, so to get the chance to work on an exciting new interpretation of this character alongside my Department of Truth Co-creator, James Tynion IV, was one I couldn’t pass up,” said Martin Simmonds. “I’m so excited for readers to experience our version of Universal’s classic monster–and I hope you enjoy the direction we take the story.”

In addition to Dracula himself, this series also features some popular characters from the original film, including R.M. Renfield, Mina Seward, Doctor John Seward, Van Helsing, and more. Expect fresh twists, chilling encounters, and a dive into the dark corners of these timeless villains’ narratives.

Universal Monsters: Dracula will be followed by more new limited series spotlighting the iconic monsters from some of the top creators in comics.

Each series will feature variant covers from some of the best artists working in comics today—Joshua Middleton, Francis Manapul, Julian Totino-Tedesco, and Jenny Frison.

Universal Monsters: Dracula #1 will be available at comic book shops and digital platforms including Amazon Kindle, Apple Books, comiXology, and Google Play on Wednesday, October 25, 2023.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Could be interesting, though I still find it weird to see licenced stuff at Image.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Could be interesting, though I still find it weird to see licenced stuff at Image.
    Skybound is slowly becoming its own thing entirely, notice how Image is not even mentioned in the announcement.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Skybound is slowly becoming its own thing entirely, notice how Image is not even mentioned in the announcement.
    Well that's how all the imprints run by founders/partners are, Shadowline, Skybound and Top Cow are all individual fiefdoms distinct from Image itself.

Extraordinary Member

UNIVERSAL MONSTERS: DRACULA #2 (OF 4)
    32 PAGES FULL COLOR $4.99 US T+ TEEN PLUS (AGES 16+) NOVEMBER 22
    STORY JAMES TYNION IV
    ART | COVER A MARTIN SIMMONDS
    COVER B FRANCIS MANAPUL

As Lucy Weston suffers from a mysterious ailment, Dr. Seward calls upon Professor Abraham Van Helsing, and Dracula's thirst goes unquenched…

so, are they making this into a series of anthologies, based on the main monster character? Snapshots of different points in history?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so, are they making this into a series of anthologies, based on the main monster character? Snapshots of different points in history?
    Don't think it'll be a series of anthologies? This first mini is telling a single story across 4 issues - there will be more minis about different monsters moving forward as mentioned in the original announcement:

Universal Monsters: Dracula will be followed by more new limited series spotlighting the iconic monsters from some of the top creators in comics.

Extraordinary Member

Universal Monsters: Dracula #1 Preview
    Writer: James Tynion IV.
    Artist: Martin Simmonds

Curious to see what Tynion's spin on this will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Curious to see what Tynion's spin on this will be.
    ^^^Same.
    I love the Universal Monsters, and if the follow up minis grab my attention the way this one has (in terms of creative team team and premise) I’ll be a happy Riv.

The art is lovely, but I wish they weren't just retelling the same old story again. I don't think anything can beat Bram Stoker's Dracula with Bela Lugosi.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    The art is lovely, but I wish they weren't just retelling the same old story again. I don't think anything can beat Bram Stoker's Dracula with Bela Lugosi.
    ^^^I love Lugosi’s Dracula!
    I do think the Oldman version and movie was the better movie and explored material from the novel more in depth though.