Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Part of the problem is the Top Cow crew are all Punisher types who tend to kill their enemies. So having a huge rogues gallery feels anthetical to them. New characters would have better luck building one.
    Well spawn does kill his enemies but most of them keep coming back despite dying

Did any of the new characters who were created for Artifacts take off?

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Did any of the new characters who were created for Artifacts take off?
    Not really, which is a shame because I thought some were certainly interesting and the Artifacts book by Ron Marz an underrated gem. But if Witchblade and the Darkness are barely a thing these days (with the Magdalena and Aphrodite the only other concepts with a bit of legs), I don't think Tom Judge and the rest ever had any real chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Not really, which is a shame because I thought some were certainly interesting and the Artifacts book by Ron Marz an underrated gem. But if Witchblade and the Darkness are barely a thing these days (with the Magdalena and Aphrodite the only other concepts with a bit of legs), I don't think Tom Judge and the rest ever had any real chance.
    I remember the Top Cow breaking in contest was about creating one-shots for them. So I've been meaning to check them out.

Shame they never took off. What happened to Switch, the young Witchblade series? I was looking forward to meeting Tony Estacado.

Incredible Member

Would reimagining both Darkness and Witchblade work with new continuities and bearers work? I mean, I love both Jackie and Sara’s characters…. But what more can be done with Jackie at this point?

Serious question. My absolute favorite version of Jackie was from the video games that adapted his story…

I’d almost think an “Utimate Topcow” relaunch is what is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    Would reimagining both Darkness and Witchblade work with new continuities and bearers work? I mean, I love both Jackie and Sara’s characters…. But what more can be done with Jackie at this point?

Serious question. My absolute favorite version of Jackie was from the video games that adapted his story…

I’d almost think an “Utimate Topcow” relaunch is what is needed.
    It's a gamble because Top Cow is more niche compared to Marvel and DC. So you might pissing off the fans you already have. In another mediums it's a safer bet because I got into The Darkness through the video games. You are more likely to find new fans outside of comics.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-08-2023 at 07:42 AM.

Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

What are everybody's favorite Witchblade and The Darkness runs? Top Cow in general?

I loved the original Witchblade run, Turner's part especially, and to some degree for the rest of Wohl/Z's bit after that. The Darkness I love that brief first run with Ennis, and the early crossover with Witchblade. Kind of fell off after that.

Been meaning to read the Jenkins Darkness run of 10 issues or so, and then maybe skip to vol 3 for Hester's run. I've had those trades on the read pile for years. And for Witchblade I've been meaning to check out Marz and Seeley's runs. Though looks like the long Marz run may have its ups and downs a bit, plus all those side mini-series etc. Also Artifacts, have those trades too.
    Last edited by SavageJudgeDredd; 01-15-2023 at 06:15 PM.

Astonishing Member

Marz's run on Witchblade with Choi and Sejic is the gold standard.

Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

Right on. It looks like Marz brought consistency and a kind of quality to it, but by making it more like a police procedural soap opera TV show. Or so it seems anyway. But I've been meaning to check it out. For me Turner's run is pretty much a perfect 90s comic run, it's a lot of fun, stylized, that bit of insanity and humor to it etc, just kind of freewheeling yet holding together. But I've been meaning to give Marz run a proper go. Since the styles are so different, and everyone has different taste, for me I don't think it'll replace the original as the definitive run. But maybe that one is just more up my alley.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Out of all the properties being adapted/rebooted, how is Witchblade is still MIA in the live action front?

I wanted to check out Artifacts.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Out of all the properties being adapted/rebooted, how is Witchblade is still MIA in the live action front?
    The original TV show didn't last long so I get why it's languishing in development limbo.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-15-2023 at 08:00 PM.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I wanted to check out Artifacts.

The original TV show didn't last long so I get why it's languishing in development limbo.
    It had great ratings and mainly canceled due to its lead being an alcoholic and to much of a risk. It's also nearly 20 years ago at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageJudgeDredd View Post
    What are everybody's favorite Witchblade and The Darkness runs? Top Cow in general?
    Obviously, the Michael Turner run is at the top of the list (IMHO):

Next would be the Francis Manapul run, which is a personal favorite...

As for The Darkness, my only interest was whenever there was a crossover with Pezzini's Witchblade (XD)

Quote Originally Posted by SavageJudgeDredd View Post

I loved the original Witchblade run, Turner's part especially, and to some degree for the rest of Wohl/Z's bit after that. The Darkness I love that brief first run with Ennis, and the early crossover with Witchblade. Kind of fell off after that.

Been meaning to read the Jenkins Darkness run of 10 issues or so, and then maybe skip to vol 3 for Hester's run. I've had those trades on the read pile for years. And for Witchblade I've been meaning to check out Marz and Seeley's runs. Though looks like the long Marz run may have its ups and downs a bit, plus all those side mini-series etc. Also Artifacts, have those trades too.
    Marz is definitely at the top. I love early Witchblade. Michael Turner's art was "Bad Girl" but I still look on it fondly same as I do Balent's Catwoman and Campbell's Danger Girl. The stories in those early issues are fine but Marz really worked to develop the characters and create some consistency. Plus, I liked Dani as a new addition to the team. Seeley had some decent ideas but pretty much changing locale didn't do it for me. Man, it's a shame Witchblade isn't around right now. It's such a solid concept. I remember even enjoying Alex's Witchblade run, at least initially, although setting it in another universe wasn't really my thing.