Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Shame Dani as Angelus didn't take off and they rebooted her.

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    Would reimagining both Darkness and Witchblade work with new continuities and bearers work? I mean, I love both Jackie and Sara’s characters…. But what more can be done with Jackie at this point?

Serious question. My absolute favorite version of Jackie was from the video games that adapted his story…

I’d almost think an “Utimate Topcow” relaunch is what is needed.
    They tried with Switch. It could be attempted again but you might need bigger name creative teams to sell it to a niche audience. It would help if you target outside of the comic crowd.

Something like the Wild Storm from Warren Ellis and Jon Davis Hunt but with better pacing.

Or Danger Street with Tom King and Jorge Fornes.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-18-2023 at 04:19 PM.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SavageJudgeDredd View Post
    Right on. It looks like Marz brought consistency and a kind of quality to it, but by making it more like a police procedural soap opera TV show. Or so it seems anyway. But I've been meaning to check it out. For me Turner's run is pretty much a perfect 90s comic run, it's a lot of fun, stylized, that bit of insanity and humor to it etc, just kind of freewheeling yet holding together. But I've been meaning to give Marz run a proper go. Since the styles are so different, and everyone has different taste, for me I don't think it'll replace the original as the definitive run. But maybe that one is just more up my alley.
    I think Ron Marz's Witchblade and in general Top Cow work is an underrated gem. He brought so much to the books and crafted a whole new mythology for Sara and the Artifact-bearers. You are correct in that at least the initial part of the run is more in the vein of a CSI but it quickly shifts back and forth with a dark supernatural tone which is very appropriate for the book. The worldbuilding Marz did was extremely compelling and reminded me of how Geoff Johns made Green Lantern's world so much bigger and richer with his run.

I adored Michael Turner's art during those early years but Marz's run has Mike Choi and Stjepan Šejić so you are definitely in for a visual treat.

Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

Cool to hear, I think I'll give that run a go this year.

And cool to see another big fan of the Turner run K7P5V! Your taste is really simpatico with my interests, I've gotta read some of that stuff you mentioned in the best first 6 issues topic!

Thanks, SavageJudgeDredd! Definitely go for it, you won't regret the decision. And yeah, Michael Turner (FTW)

Spectacular Member

It's been a while since I sat down and read these series. It is a damn shame that Witchblade and Darkness are not around at the moment.

I kept seeing rumours and announcements of a new Darkness series but I guess that is dead?

I saw it was mentioned but I'd like to reiterate how amazing Artifacts is. I was reading it religiously when it was being released, so many great concepts.

In fact, Top Cow is full of great concepts. While I didn't really enjoy the last Cyberforce series, it still has so much potential. Top Cow has way too many great IPs to not be a mainstay in comics. There is Darkness, Witchblade, Artifacts, Magdalena, Aphrodite, Angelus, Cyberforce, Hunter-Killer, am I missing any?

There has to be some creators who could work wonders for this, get them back on the map.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    It's been a while since I sat down and read these series. It is a damn shame that Witchblade and Darkness are not around at the moment.

I kept seeing rumours and announcements of a new Darkness series but I guess that is dead?

I saw it was mentioned but I'd like to reiterate how amazing Artifacts is. I was reading it religiously when it was being released, so many great concepts.

In fact, Top Cow is full of great concepts. While I didn't really enjoy the last Cyberforce series, it still has so much potential. Top Cow has way too many great IPs to not be a mainstay in comics. There is Darkness, Witchblade, Artifacts, Magdalena, Aphrodite, Angelus, Cyberforce, Hunter-Killer, am I missing any?

There has to be some creators who could work wonders for this, get them back on the map.
    A new Darkness comic by Matt Hawkins and Tom Grindberg was announced first, then another written by Marc Silvestri, apparently due this year. A Witchblade relaunch by Marguerite Bennett and Ariela Kristantina was also in the works but also failed to materialise so far.

I agree that Top Cow has a lot of great IPs and some good creators could indeed do wonders with them. I believe they luck the funding and resources to kick-start it all again though.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    A new Darkness comic by Matt Hawkins and Tom Grindberg was announced first, then another written by Marc Silvestri, apparently due this year. A Witchblade relaunch by Marguerite Bennett and Ariela Kristantina was also in the works but also failed to materialise so far.

I agree that Top Cow has a lot of great IPs and some good creators could indeed do wonders with them. I believe they luck the funding and resources to kick-start it all again though.
    Adaptations are a gamble but they could help raise funds.

Mighty Member

Man just hope the top cow is universe gets another chance like massive verse is becoming popular and growing.

Even spawn got to have his shared universe recently.

Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

For sure! Also, looking through some stuff I happened upon issue #182's bit with Sara saying her Ramones shirt is her favorite, fun stuff. Man I love the Ramones.

Is it with new Darkness and Witchblade holders, is it with the characters we know, or is it a reboot?

Quote Originally Posted by SavageJudgeDredd View Post
    For sure! Also, looking through some stuff I happened upon issue #182's bit with Sara saying her Ramones shirt is her favorite, fun stuff. Man I love the Ramones.
    Yeah! Love that sense of humor (LOL):

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Is it with new Darkness and Witchblade holders, is it with the characters we know, or is it a reboot?
    No clue but the former could be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I believe they mentioned it would be Sara and Jackie, but it was unclear whether they would be rebooted/reimagined or just pick up where they left off.

I believe they mentioned it would be Sara and Jackie, but it was unclear whether they would be rebooted/reimagined or just pick up where they left off.
    At least it will be with the established characters. But now, to see if they continue (which for Darkness, may not be the best take), or do some sort of Marvel/DC style reboot where some things happened, but others never did.