Page 137 of 550 FirstFirst ... 3787127133134135136137138139140141147187237 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,055 of 8245

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Nearly all my friends are str8; I have very few gay friend. Not intentionally; but I always gravitate to girls and "dudes" when in groups. Less drama with str8 guys (I know it's a cliche/stereotyping, but it's true). Outside of my boyfriend and my housemate... I don't think any of my regular circle are gay???

YEY! LOVE DAKEN! He's one of my favourite characters, period. Really enjoying his current development in Wolverines; far away from Remender and "daddy issues." His sibling relationship with Laura is really sweet.

If you like, visit Watching the World Burn; DAKEN APPRECIATION THREAD; for more Akihiro fans
    http://community.comicbookresources....CIATION-THREAD

For you...

LOVE her; so happy to hear she's getting the lead in her own show (but does that mean we're losing her from OITNB?
    I post there pretty frequently. Your welcomes here makes it sound like we haven't chatted before. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    I heard that the first gay male character on The Walking Dead is going to appear in the next episode. I REALLY hope they handle the character well, especially after they basically chickened-out about the whole Darryl thing. Darryl is obviously (in my opinion) supposed to be asexual but they had to have Kirkman say that he's straight on Talking Dead.
    Oh man, don't get me started. I LOVE Daryl. He is that rare mix of relatable and sexual attraction. I actually never thought of him as gay until once Kirkman stated it was discussed... I just couldn't believe I hadn't seen it all along. He could easily be gay, it's all there. They could have made the most popular character, on the highest rated show on cable, that's target audience is male, an anti stereotypical gay character in a logical way. Literally the ideal representation needed. And not only did they not do it, thirty officially stated he was straight when they could have left it alone as a part of the mystery of the character.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by America / Bucky / Russia View Post
    That's terrible. February seems to be the month for losing people; don't know why that is, just seems to be a trend I've noticed. Hope that things work out as smoothly as can, although obviously given the circumstances it's going to be very messy indeed.
    --
    Agent Carter gives us what I think is the first same sex kiss in the MCU - but of course it's completely non-sexual and non-romantic and part of femme fatale espionage. I guess it's ... better than nothing?
    Thanks Bucky/ Charmed for your messages regarding my friend.

Ooh I havent seen the latest episode of Agent Carter yet. I am loving it ( was a bit apprehensive because I do not watch AoS) - but the writing is great and Haley Attwell is phenomenal in the lead. Easily the best superhero related show at the moment (though I have yet to see Constantine and am way behind with Walking Dead).

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    I post there pretty frequently. Your welcomes here makes it sound like we haven't chatted before. Lol
    LOL; ah, whoops. Sorry; there are so many awesome posters I sometimes forget who posts where. You are of course right. Very happy you found this thread, though.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderlad View Post
    Ooh I havent seen the latest episode of Agent Carter yet. I am loving it ( was a bit apprehensive because I do not watch AoS) - but the writing is great and Haley Attwell is phenomenal in the lead. Easily the best superhero related show at the moment (though I have yet to see Constantine and am way behind with Walking Dead).
    I'm curious to try Agent Carter; I'm not a massive fan of the Cap films, do you need to like them to enjoy it? Sounds like Mad Men meets the Avengers (the British TV spy series, I mean).

Quote Originally Posted by Time Like Lightning View Post

Takin' CBR by storm. >;D
    Too funny!

LOL; ah, whoops. Sorry; there are so many awesome posters I sometimes forget who posts where. You are of course right. Very happy you found this thread, though.

I'm curious to try Agent Carter; I'm not a massive fan of the Cap films, do you need to like them to enjoy it? Sounds like Mad Men meets the Avengers (the British TV spy series, I mean).
    Agent Carter Is FABULOUS! Very suspenseful and who doesn't love the hottie Chad Micheal Murry!

I heard that the first gay male character on The Walking Dead is going to appear in the next episode. I REALLY hope they handle the character well, especially after they basically chickened-out about the whole Darryl thing. Darryl is obviously (in my opinion) supposed to be asexual but they had to have Kirkman say that he's straight on Talking Dead.
    Kirkman should have said asexual i mean c'mon!!!!

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Victoria Hand was gay. They never brought it up, but in doing so, never changed it. Therefore she was gay, just as she is in the books.
    But if you're me and never read her books she was just another white lady on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyD View Post
    Agent Carter Is FABULOUS! Very suspenseful and who doesn't love the hottie Chad Micheal Murry!
    It is pretty good. I like the period though and am not sure how much you'd have to like the Cap movies to enjoy it (other than it helps life LOL I think them and Avengers are marvels best along with the first Iron Man. Just not into Thor even Loki was alright in Avengers.)

I know a ton of gays but most of my friends a straight so its always nice to expand the circle. I'm especially glad there are options like this for people who aren't in areas with a gay culture.
    Yeah it's not like I exclude gay people, there just aren't many.

Gay comic couples are usually created to be a couple and ultimately seem less interesting because there is a dependency on the other (plus it desexualizes them).
    3) In terms of consistency probably Daken - his solo series was fantastic and made use of his sexuality without it being the focus. Anole has huge potential and relatability to me but he is never used. And Midnighter falls somewhere between the two - however I have a pet peeve for gay comic characters that are coupled off.
    I disagree, I don't think people are made less by being in a relationship. I guess it's the comic fan wish fulfillment like how DC and Marvel keep busting up relationships because their fans want a single hero who isn't "tied down" but I think people are still sexual in a couple.

I was searching Midnighter and stumbled upon here. I might make a Midnighter Appreciation thread on DC Forums.
    Oh cool, I think Marvel has a LGBT character thread but I don't know if DC does.

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    It was a very old fashioned sitcom in terms of how it was structured and filmed, but as Kieran says it really got better as it went on.

There were definitely some cringe moments tho, especially when a joke fell just a bit too flat, usually the ones involving the fit young neighbour, played by the incredibly HOT Iwan Rheon
    The guy from Misfits? <3

No. She was not confirmed LGBT (and there is enough evidence to imply that just because a character is a certain way in the comics, means they'll be that way in the MCU - RE: Hawkeye). And it's not like the show or the MCU is subtle about the sexuality of its str8 characters, to pretend "maybe they just don't show sexuality." Rubbish! Every relationship in Harry Potter had all the subtlety of a sledgehammer, but the gay one gets the coded "never stated" bollocks attached to it. UGH! I really doubt I'll forgive JK Rowling for that.

Does "a show" (one show) need a gay character to justify it? Of course not. We're not quota based. Does an entire world of films and several TV shows need a gay character; even for one f*cking moment? **** YES! Because we are not leprechauns or unicorns (as much as we'd like to be sometimes ). We exist. And the more the MCU continues without us, the more false and fake and meaningless any attempt to label including an LGBT "progress" will become down the line. If How to Train Your Dragon 2 can manage to out a character, so can an entire world of movies and TV shows.
    It's a similar argument to saying "Steve Rogers is bisexual" (as, apparently, Tumblr is prone to do) just because there's little on screen to contradict it. Yes, Victoria Hand is more likely to be gay based on her comics portrayal, but her orientation on TV is still within the realm of fanfiction.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderlad View Post
    I don't watch AOS, but as I love the Captain America films, LOVE Hayley Atwell and LOVE this being Marvel's first exploration of a solo female protagonist, of course I was excited and checked it out. There's the odd comic book character here and it does repeat your standard spy and 40s/50s tropes, but it's written well enough and there are some good performances. Peggy lives in an institute for single women (no men allowed), which I found quite interesting given that my knowledge on post-war America is limited. The action scenes last episode were FUCKING AWESOME. That said it does feel like they could have cut an episode or two off to streamline the series. Most episodes are amazing but occasionally it's nothing more than alright. But I have a preference for British TV anyway. It's better than "sci-fi men in suits" a la AOS, though. But yeah, I do see an Avengers influence with Jarvis (no double entendre intended.)

---

Searching "LGBT DC" comes up with this thread and a couple of others, but nothing specific to DC, which is odd given that there are quite a few prominent LGBT characters over in that universe.
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

Didn't think he "chickened out" at all.

I believe him when he says he didn't intend the character to be anything other than straight (there are several Gay characters in the Walking Dead comic and have been for many years).

hell, there's been a Lesbian character in the TV show for a couple of seasons now -- and I *love* the fact that it's almost never brought up.
    (just as it's almost never brought up how many of the characters are straight -- even the couple, Glenn and Maggie don't spend time all over each other, and the whole Abe/Rosita graphic scene was to establish how pervy Eugene is. . . I'm just glad they didn't have him spying on the Lesbian lady).

anyways. . yeah, Gays have been treated well in the WD universe, and as the character arriving next week has been mentioned as "well known". .it's pretty obvious where they are headed (and it has been for a few months, even if this week's was a "tease" to make us think that was the end point they were headed to).
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

Quote Originally Posted by America / Bucky / Russia View Post
    ---

Searching "LGBT DC" comes up with this thread and a couple of others, but nothing specific to DC, which is odd given that there are quite a few prominent LGBT characters over in that universe.
    that seems to be because most of the posters in this thread SEEM to be younger, and X-Men (and therefore Marvel) fans mainly.

i figure they are just not old enough to remember:

Lord Fanny (Transvestite Shaman): the Invisibles
    Lenny (Lesbian): Shade the Changing Man
    Danny the Street (Transvestite): Doom Patrol
    Rebis (Transgender): Doom Patrol
    Apollo (male partner to Midnigher): the Authority
    Midnighter (male partner to Apollo):the Authority
    Donner (female partner to Blitzen): Heroes
    Blitzen: (female partner to Donner): Heroes
    Fade (gay male): Blood Syndicate
    Masquerade (transgender): Blood Syndicate
    Pied Piper (gay male): Flash villain (reformed)

those are just off the top of my head, but all are at least 10 years old (or older references). . so given the younger crowd is more into X-Men characters?. . yeah. .that's why DC doesn't get mentioned here much.
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    that seems to be because most of the posters in this thread SEEM to be younger, and X-Men (and therefore Marvel) fans mainly.

those are just off the top of my head, but all are at least 10 years old (or older references). . so given the younger crowd is more into X-Men characters?. . yeah. .that's why DC doesn't get mentioned here much.
    Errr; doesn't Northstar (from the X-verse) pre-date all those?

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    I disagree, I don't think people are made less by being in a relationship. I guess it's the comic fan wish fulfillment like how DC and Marvel keep busting up relationships because their fans want a single hero who isn't "tied down" but I think people are still sexual in a couple.
    People aren't "less" and can still be sexual as a couple, but comic characters are different. All we have are what we see/read. It's like if Marvel says Wolverine is gay then great, but it's a visual medium - so unless they show him flirting or something then it's irrelevant. Being coupled or married is less threatening, it eliminates the need to deal with the less common gay single life issues. We can have James Bond sleep with how many women in the span of an hour but still Northstar marries the first guy he dates.

To me it's similar to The Frog Princess... They finally make a black Disney princess and she's turned into a frog for 90% of the film. It's masking the very thing that makes it significant/special and less threatening but by removing the aspect of the character that is unique.

As for the couples, I have no problem with them, but in the case of characters like Apollo/Midnighter, Wiccan/Hulking, or hell Reed/Sue when they are created to be a couple they are paired so much together that they lose a lot of their own identity. You can't imagine them apart. And sure that happens in the real world, but we have an actual history and backstory to fall back on. We don't get to see the characters evolve like Rogue/Gambit or my one gay example RicStar.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

I'm always astounded when people are surprised that I'm not 100% straight. I guess I think I fall into more stereotype categories than I actually exhibit.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post

I think the issue with DC is that until very recently they have shyed away from promoting any of the gay characters. Marvel gets a GLAAD award for featuring some old married guys in the background of Hawkeye, DC on the other hand stirs controversy by refusing to allow Batwoman to get married and then just digs themselves a deeper with stupid statements.

It's funny, I always remember an old ad in a DC for a series called 'Young Heroes in Love' that I from the ad implied several LGBT characters, but that series, if it ever materialised, went no where (I never saw it for sale).

I swore off DC after the New 52 reboot, but I shall likely be breaking that to give Midnighter a go, and want to check out the Grayson series and a few others. May as well swallow the old indignace over their reboot after whatever Convergence does.

Pied Piper has been a favourite for mine for a long time, I loved his bromance with James 'Trickster' Jesse; it's a shame the TV show has made him an unlikeable dickhead
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

No. She was not confirmed LGBT (and there is enough evidence to imply that just because a character is a certain way in the comics, means they'll be that way in the MCU - RE: Hawkeye). And it's not like the show or the MCU is subtle about the sexuality of its str8 characters, to pretend "maybe they just don't show sexuality." Rubbish! Every relationship in Harry Potter had all the subtlety of a sledgehammer, but the gay one gets the coded "never stated" bollocks attached to it. UGH! I really doubt I'll forgive JK Rowling for that.
    Eh, I just saw the character and even if I hadn't know she was Victoria Hand and thus a lesbian, felt she screamed power lesbian. I take the point that she wasn't confirmed and that anyone who didnt know her wouldnt know for sure, but I did know, so I didn't need confirmation. Good for me, bad for the rest of the audience I suppose.

Does "a show" (one show) need a gay character to justify it? Of course not. We're not quota based. Does an entire world of films and several TV shows need a gay character; even for one f*cking moment? **** YES! Because we are not leprechauns or unicorns (as much as we'd like to be sometimes ). We exist. And the more the MCU continues without us, the more false and fake and meaningless any attempt to label including an LGBT "progress" will become down the line. If How to Train Your Dragon 2 can manage to out a character, so can an entire world of movies and TV shows.

In fact... you know what, we have MORE CHANCE of seeing a unicorn or a leprechaun in the MCU than we do an LGBT character. Doesn't that just... UGH! Doesn't that mean anything? Doesn't that say anything to you, about how "valuable" we are, how important? We're less important than make-believe ponies.
    I dont need a character to be a gay or to show gay or mention gays to feel better about myself. In fact, with Cucumber/Banana currently promoting that most gays are commitment phobic, vain, sex mad tossers, I could do with some nice closet cases or toned down nobodies to 'represent' for me on TV.

I'd argue that having none is generally bad, but equally I'd kinda rather have none than have someone shoehorned in for no apparent reason than to be 'the gay' or having characters that just show all the negatives of the 'gay lifestyle' and try and spin them in to normalities and positives.

Eh, I think I am just down of Russell T Davies for doing another gay centric show and deciding to use three shows worth of time to highlight that young gays are all sex mad vapid pricks and older gays are all one drink away from being the same, or worse. Granted RTD and his current C4 shows have nothing to do with the MCU, but I'm cross venting on television in general.

Hey... everything's golden... we have Pod now (enjoy your scraps, my brothers *sigh*)
    I hated on POD the minute it was announced that thing was our LGBT Avenger.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God