Page 15 of 550 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115515 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tangent Man View Post
    Also, a quick Spider-Man poll: which girlfriend do you prefer, Gwen or Mary-Jane? No, you can't say "Felicia", since we all know she's fabulous!
    MJ, though I thought Stone was great as Gwen.

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    MJ, though I thought Stone was great as Gwen.
    Strangely, she would have made an even more fantastic MJ!

Sorry, but Shailene Woodley is too plain for Mary Jane!

BANNED

How many people lie to themselves and everyone else about their sexuality, in order to make themselves feel better?

I can't be the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    How many people lie to themselves and everyone else about their sexuality, in order to make themselves feel better?

I can't be the only one.
    nope. . been very open about myself since I was very young.

I don't always correct someone when they notice my ring and ask about my "wife". . but I don't pretend to be anything other than who I am.
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

BANNED

What I mean is, I sometimes call myself an asexual, but when I'm honest with myself the truth is that I'm just afraid of women. Always have been.

Sometimes I try to blame it on an abusive mother, but even that is a lie. She wasn't that violent.

I just wonder how common that is. People claiming a sexuality label to cover up deep seated issues.

Spectacular Member

I can't be the only one.
    I did for years during middle school and high school. But it didn't make me feel better, it made me numb. If I had known then what I know now, I would've accepted myself as the people I was afraid of disappointing (family and close friends, those who matter) have accepted me when I came out as an adult.

What I mean is, I sometimes call myself an asexual, but when I'm honest with myself the truth is that I'm just afraid of women. Always have been.

Sometimes I try to blame it on an abusive mother, but even that is a lie. She wasn't that violent.

I just wonder how common that is. People claiming a sexuality label to cover up deep seated issues.
    I couldn't speak to how common it is. But it does happen.

Also, an abusive or neglectful parent may not have been "that violent" compared to people who persistently physically abused, or molested or criminally neglected their children. But it doesn't negate the harm or violence it propagates in the child's psyche.

By the way, thanks for reminding me that the thread title needed elaboration.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

My totally judgmental suspicion is that a lot of the more basic sexual identities claimed are because they're generally-true or true enough. I know folks who avoid claiming bisexual, based not on attraction, but which gender they're with just then. I know people who just keep it private and let people think/suppose whatever. Some actively hide for social reasons, including physical safety.

But, it depends on who you are and where in the world, too.

I'm still annoyed at Henry Rollins saying if he'd been gay, he would have come out loud at twelve, because while he's a big tough guy, at twelve he was in boarding school sleeping & showering with large groups of boys in a time/place where you'd get electroschock for being out. To me, that's unfair to those out or otherwise who were at real risk in that era.

I know some folks identifying asexual to avoid confronting gender dysphoria. I feel awful for them but there are so many different axes of physical/emotional safety in play, it's tough.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thespianphryne View Post
    By the way, thanks for reminding me that the thread title needed elaboration.
    God. I was really hoping you wouldn't.

BANNED

okay someone added I and A to the acronym. Somebody help me out here..what does those letters stand for?

I can't be the only one.
    I tried to pray myself straight in my early teens, and lied to myself a lot. It did not make me feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    okay someone added I and A to the acronym. Somebody help me out here..what does those letters stand for?
    Intersex and Asexual

God. I was really hoping you wouldn't.
    Sorry, dude. But it really doesn't hurt to share the sandbox, does it? At least it doesn't sound like a sandwich order anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    I added the I for intersex, and A for Asexual.