Page 288 of 550 FirstFirst ... 188238278284285286287288289290291292298338388 ... LastLast
Results 4,306 to 4,320 of 8245

Quote Originally Posted by America / Bucky / Russia View Post
    Only ones I've heard of are Gregg Araki, Derek Jarman, Gus van Sant, Bryan Singer and Joel Schumaker.
    You may not know them by name, but I'm sure you'd know their films:
    Pedro Almodóvar - Law of Desire, Talk to Her, All About My Mother, Bad Education, Volver
    Stephen Daldry - Billy Elliott, the Hours, the Reader, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
    Lee Daniels - Precious, the Paper Boy, the Butler, TV's Empire
    Todd Haynes - Velvet Goldmine, Far From Heaven, I'm Not There, Carol
    James Ivory - A Room With A View, Maurice, Howard's End, Remains of the Day
    Rob Marshall - Chicago, Memoirs of a Geisha, Nine
    Ryan Murphy - TV's Nip-Tuck, TV's Glee, TV's American Horror Story, the Normal Heart
    John Schlesinger - Billy Liar, Midnight Cowboy, Sunday Bloody Sunday, the Marathon Man
    Tate Taylor - the Help
    John Waters - the original Hairspray (1988)
    James Whale - the original Frankenstein (1931), the Invisible Man (1933) and the Bride of Frankenstein (1935); Sir Ian McKellan played him in Gods and Monsters (1999)

I am shocked that you forgot about Xavier Dolan.
    You know I've never heard of him, and even looking him up on wiki, none of his work rings a bell... until the end!!! Director of Adele's "Hello" video? YES!!!!

One thing that caught my attention:
    [from Wikipedia] Dolan is also adapting the play Juste la fin du Monde by Jean-Luc Lagarce for the screen, to be titled It's Only the End of the World. The film stars Marion Cotillard, Gaspard Ulliel, Vincent Cassel, Léa Seydoux and Nathalie Baye

Love those three actors! After Bond I'm not too keen on Lea Seydoux.

You're the only Kieran I know :P
    HA! True... and I love that you watched it because of me... but I've never seen it. Did I recommend it???

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbytes View Post
    Guys, I made a thread for DC's LGBT characters.
    http://community.comicbookresources....T-Appreciation
    YEY! I sadly don't read DC, but I have an interest in a few of the characters. I can't decide voting for Midnighter or Constantine.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 12-05-2015 at 04:38 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Trying to make a list of LGBT film directors (the big ones), for a possible LGBT Film Appreciation thread. Firstly have I missed any of the major ones, secondly I'm already at 16 (and the poll only allows 15). Who to bump? I've put if they've been nominated for the Oscar for BEST DIRECTOR!

Pedro Almodóvar [nom.] (won Oscar for Best Original Screenplay for Talk to Her (2002); All About My Mother (1999) won Best Foreign Language Film)
    Gregg Araki
    Stephen Daldry [3 noms.] (won a BAFTA, a Tony and two Oliviers)
    Lee Daniels [nom.] (also nominated for Best Picture for Precious (2009))
    Todd Haynes (nominated for the screenplay for Far From Heaven (2002); nominated for 3 Emmys)
    James Ivory 3 [3 noms]
    Derek Jarman
    Rob Marshall [nom.]
    Ryan Murphy
    Joel Schumacher
    John Schlesinger [OSCAR] (for Midnight Cowboy (1969))
    Bryan Singer
    Gus van Sant [2 noms.]
    Tate Taylor
    John Waters
    James Whale
    Academy Award winner and Golden Globe nominee, Bill Condon
    Emmy winner and Golden Bear nominee, Patricia Rozema
    Winner or nominee at a bunch and lgbt film festivals darling for a bit, Katherine Brooks
    Last edited by t hedge coke; 12-05-2015 at 05:40 AM.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Academy Award winner and Golden Glob nominee, Bill Condon

Emmy winner and Golden Bear nominee, Patricia Rozema
    Winner or nominee at a bunch of lgbt film festivals darling for a bit, Katherine Brooks
    Oh my goodness HOW did I forget Bill Condon??? I'll add him to the list. I've not heard of the other two (but it does make me sad my list has only men in it). I heard of that version of Mansfield Park, but have never seen it.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Oh my goodness HOW did I forget Bill Condon??? I'll add him to the list. I've not heard of the other two (but it does make me sad my list has only men in it). I heard of that version of Mansfield Park, but have never seen it.
    I almost listed Jamie Babbit, too, but I realized that as less for her film work (But I'm a Cheerleader; Breaking the Girls) and more for her extensive tv work. And, it's about there that you start to get relatively really niche. There, or Warhol movies.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by Supernature View Post
    I think we were supposed to figure out who the Ten Commandments killer was before the character.
    While I think you are probably right, that doesn't make it feel like a less lazy piece of writing,

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

YEY! I sadly don't read DC, but I have an interest in a few of the characters. I can't decide voting for Midnighter or Constantine.
    Midnighter and Batwoman seem like clear leads for the poll. You might wanna give Constantine some love.

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

You may not know them by name, but I'm sure you'd know their films:
    Pedro Almodóvar - Law of Desire, Bad Education
    Stephen Daldry - Billy Elliott, the Hours, the Reader, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
    Todd Haynes - Velvet Goldmine, I'm Not There, Carol
    James Ivory - A Room With A View, Maurice, Howard's End
    Rob Marshall - Chicago, Memoirs of a Geisha
    Ryan Murphy - TV's Glee, TV's American Horror Story, the Normal Heart
    John Schlesinger - Billy Liar, Midnight Cowboy, Sunday Bloody Sunday
    Tate Taylor - the Help
    John Waters - the original Hairspray (1988)
    Edited down to the ones I've heard of

You know I've never heard of him, and even looking him up on wiki, none of his work rings a bell... until the end!!! Director of Adele's "Hello" video? YES!!!!

One thing that caught my attention:
    [from Wikipedia] Dolan is also adapting the play Juste la fin du Monde by Jean-Luc Lagarce for the screen, to be titled It's Only the End of the World. The film stars Marion Cotillard, Gaspard Ulliel, Vincent Cassel, Léa Seydoux and Nathalie Baye
    He also did another music video which is pretty touch to get through.

Still need to watch Blue is the Warmest Colour. And Spectre.

HA! True... and I love that you watched it because of me... but I've never seen it. Did I recommend it???
    It definitely came up in one of the discussions about LGBT films on one of these threads. Either by you or someone else. I must be losing my mind.
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

I'm undersided about AHS: Hotel; but I do think Liz Taylor is one of the best characters that show has ever had!
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 12-08-2015 at 02:43 AM.

I adore liz. Both on American horror story and real life. Did you hear the story of how Elizabeth Taylor helped smuggle lifesaving drugs during the early days of the AIDS epidemic which ended up saving heaps of lives at a time when most people just wanted to pretend it wasn't happening? Modern day Oscar Schindler is what she is.

By the way, not sure if people know but you can join gay communities on the PlayStation network now so you can play against other lgbtiq people. What a wonderful idea!

I'm undersides about AHS: Hotel; but I do think Liz Taylor is one of the best characters that show has ever had!
    In a season that has been less than impressive, Liz shines. The character is also a nice counterpoint from AHS:FS' Stanley.

What are everyone's thoughts on Jeri Hogarth, her wife, Wendy, and her spoilers:
    mistress/girlfriend,
    end of spoilers Pam over on Jessica Jones?

spoilers:
    I found their B-Plot throughout the episodes to be where the show dragged its feet and became boring (which was only compounded by the fact that Jeri is played by Carrie Anne-Moss whom I find to be bleh)---but I do appreciate a same-sex relationship not being portrayed as some kind of perfect, pristine, almost magical relationship where nothing can go wrong, and both partners are always happy.
    end of spoilers

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    What are everyone's thoughts on Jeri Hogarth, her wife, Wendy, and her spoilers:
    mistress/girlfriend,
    end of spoilers Pam over on Jessica Jones?

spoilers:
    I found their B-Plot throughout the episodes to be where the show dragged its feet and became boring (which was only compounded by the fact that Jeri is played by Carrie Anne-Moss whom I find to be bleh)---but I do appreciate a same-sex relationship not being portrayed as some kind of perfect, pristine, almost magical relationship where nothing can go wrong, and both partners are always happy.
    end of spoilers
    I had a great time with it. I like that they just dug her deeper and deeper into the horribleness, instead of trying to excuse it or have her turn a new leaf suddenly.

It was fun. I could, easily, have watched a show with that stuff and Trish's stuff going on without Jessica or Luke or Killgrave even being there. It's better with them there, but the other stuff, including the Hogarth triangle of trauma and meanness was delicious and sometimes wince-inducing.

I thought they were all great but I do think there was some cliche [spoiler] lesbian who goes crazy [/spoiler] elements to it.

Still, at least we know there are lgbtiq people in the marvel u. And they're not always played as a joke or stereotype.

I just finished watching 'Paris is burning' last night. It was really interesting to see how people like us used to live and thrive because in black communities. I can see why it's a classic. Has anyone else seen it?

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I just finished watching 'Paris is burning' last night. It was really interesting to see how people like us used to live and thrive because in black communities. I can see why it's a classic. Has anyone else seen it?
    Paris is Burning is great, but, y'know, hard, too.

A couple student groups asked me to help put together an lgbt movie marathon for next semester, so I'm going back through this thread for ideas. Otherwise they'll end up watching a dozen movies about shy lesbians looking carefully at someone from over the edge of their coffee cup, five John Waters' expereiences, and three key examples of Brendan Frasier's ass.