Page 289 of 550 FirstFirst ... 189239279285286287288289290291292293299339389 ... LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,335 of 8245
    Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Paris is Burning is great, but, y'know, hard, too.

A couple student groups asked me to help put together an lgbt movie marathon for next semester, so I'm going back through this thread for ideas. Otherwise they'll end up watching a dozen movies about shy lesbians looking carefully at someone from over the edge of their coffee cup, five John Waters' expereiences, and three key examples of Brendan Frasier's ass.
    I made some lists if they help
    http://letterboxd.com/hulksmash/list...s-i-recommend/
    http://letterboxd.com/hulksmash/list...want-to-watch/
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

A couple student groups asked me to help put together an lgbt movie marathon for next semester, so I'm going back through this thread for ideas. Otherwise they'll end up watching a dozen movies about shy lesbians looking carefully at someone from over the edge of their coffee cup, five John Waters' expereiences, and three key examples of Brendan Frasier's ass.
    Oh well you simply have to have one of my favourite movies "Priscilla: queen of the desert". An absolute classic

Here are some LGBT centric movies I loved:

J'ai tué ma mère
    Maurice
    Blue Is The Warmest Color
    C.R.A.Z.Y.
    A Single Man
    Beautiful Thing

But I'm a Cheerleader

Campy, cheesy, & loads of fun!!!

22. Sagittarius. Time Like Lightning's Avatar

What's everyone's thoughts on straight actors playing non-heterosexual characters?

I know the "should cisgender people play transgender characters" is oft-discussed. What about when it comes to sexual orientation and not gender identity?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.
    The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."

He/him/his pronouns.

I'm a little bored of it to be honest. There's so many out actors and actresses out there that I think they should get first dibs on the roles. It's especially annoying when straight actors get more kudos for roles with gay characters than gay actors (eg: being called so brave etc)

I don't hate it and I will occasionally see movies with straight leads playing gay roles but I prefer lgbtiq actors and actresses getting a go.

Btw I've been chatting to that cute guy for ages and I'm ready to ask him out. Only problem is I'm heading off to Hong Kong soon for about a week and a half. I hope he doesn't mind waiting

Week and a half is super-short, I bet he won't mind at all. One of my best friends had a guy wait for her an entire semester abroad in France, that's how much he cares about her and she cares about him (e.g. she didn't get with anybody during that time either). People surprise you!

I agree, Silvermoth. I worry about the way it alters perception, too. Like, seeing straight men playing gay and bi guys, many of whom don't have any feminine voices or mannerisms... How does that change our expectations of non-heterosexual men? How does it affect what we look for in partners? Does that contribute at all to the number of people who want "straight-acting" partners?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

He/him/his pronouns.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Like Lightning View Post
    What's everyone's thoughts on straight actors playing non-heterosexual characters?

I know the "should cisgender people play transgender characters" is oft-discussed. What about when it comes to sexual orientation and not gender identity?
    The essence of acting is pretending to be something other than what you are. So the question really becomes, is the straight actor believable in the gay role? And as for the lack of a feminine voice, I've met a few gay men who had masculine voices. Why reinforce a stereotype?

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    The essence of acting is pretending to be something other than what you are. So the question really becomes, is the straight actor believable in the gay role? And as for the lack of a feminine voice, I've met a few gay men who had masculine voices. Why reinforce a stereotype?
    I think of it less as reinforcing a stereotype and more as letting non-heterosexual men know it's okay to be that stereotype. When most gay, bi and pan male characters are played by heterosexual men or men with masculine voices, when in real life that's less the majority and more one part of the group, it reinforces the idea that masculine qualities are preferable to feminine ones. It gives "no fats or femmes" strength. Like saying "you can be gay but please don't sound like it."

He/him/his pronouns.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Thanks for the movie suggestions, y'all I'll try to post about the actual event next term.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by Time Like Lightning View Post

It's acting, I don't care who is cast, just cast the best for the job. What I DON'T like is Hollywood's acceptance of so many closeted actors; what I DON'T like is str8 actors getting lauded for gay roles when gay actors are rarely given a shot at a major/important/famous str8 role. We can be asexual characters, but Superman? F*ck no; it's not about acting then.
    #hypocrisy
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    being called so brave
    That pisses me off. Not even just annoying, it's angering.

Same with men playing women, cis actors playing trans, straight playing gay. We never say it about gay actors playing straight. I've never seen it applied to a woman playing a man. Have seen it with a few darkening-up ___face roles.

If an actor is "brave" for a role, I can accept that they did their own stunts or that they put themselves in a severely emotionally precarious place. Gemma Aterton spending her time between being on camera still chained naked to a bed, or Bill Moseley playing a deeply horrible rapey and demeaning brute. Sure, that's brave. If your role makes you almost pee your pants or throw up during a shoot, that's brave enough. If you get that way because you put on a dress or you said something sweet or sexy to a person of the same gender, *^&# calling it "brave."
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Well, I liked Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie. Hey, I bought the performance, okay? Reminded me of my first-grade teacher. It was uncanny! And I can't hate on Hillary Swank's performance in Boys Don't Cry. Tilda Swinton in Orlando. Loved it. (I wonder what Ms. Woolf would have thought of that portrayal?) Anyway, I doubt the Danish Girl will even open in my neck of the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    Well, I liked Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie. Hey, I bought the performance, okay? Reminded me of my first-grade teacher. It was uncanny! And I can't hate on Hillary Swank's performance in Boys Don't Cry. Tilda Swinton in Orlando. Loved it. (I wonder what Ms. Woolf would have thought of that portrayal?) Anyway, I doubt the Danish Girl will even open in my neck of the woods.
    No-one's saying they are bad performances, merely that society needs to stop lauding a str8 actor playing someone who is gay as "brave" and "daring". It's insulting. That said, FOR THE TIME PERIOD, Dustin Hoffman's performance was brave (for a mainstream A-lister to do). But that was then and this is now. It's not brave to play someone who's gay.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    I'm not sure that I'd count two of those, anyway, since Tootsie is a guy in drag for work and Orlando is about magic sex changes, though there is a man playing the Queen of England in it, so there's that.

But, yes, in general there have been some good straight-playing-gay and men-playing-women/women-playing men performances out there.