Page 18 of 550 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118518 ... LastLast

Guys, keep it steady.

If you can't agree to disagree, move on.

We're wandering awful close to ad hominem territory here.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I tend to think queer should be an open umbrella term for as many sexual/gender IDs and paraphilias as it can. The last time I was in the States, there was a minor war at a Pride event, wherein a group of trans lesbians decided they were both more trans and more lesbian than anyone else, but also that cis women didn't understand gender as innately as they did, and that intersex was a myth generated by people who were trans and couldn't admit it. And, seriously, that ain't good for anyone. There are paraphilias or IDs that "we" may want to exclude, but the less we rocket off into judgment and exclusion, the better, right?

Quote Originally Posted by galaxygnome View Post
    I get that - I guess I see it as an identity not as a self-identified one, but rather something you're born with & short of medical things can't change - e.g. man/woman (not to be confused with masculine/feminine), race, etc. Not an identity the way we talk about orientation, but still a social identity, yeah? Particularly as this is a deeply misunderstood and stereotyped identity.
    Sure. That makes sense. There's just less of a community (not to say there isn't one) and a fair percentage of intersex people go most of their lives, if not all, unaware they are at all. As adults, the assumption tends to be that the evidence should lie in abnormal size (overgrown or shortchanged) genitalia, which, really, would be the rarity. Even when doctors know, they don't always tell the patient or the parents, if it's evident at birth. Hypospadias and other external matters, depending on where you live, may easily be adjusted after birth without clarifying the matter to families, checking to see if there are related issues (including if it's resulting from being intersex), and in some places, without parental permission required.

I had a doctor, a few years ago, fall all over himself trying to tell me that being mildly intersex was causing health troubles, but by then, I'd had minor childhood surgeries, I was well aware of hormonal issues, birds and bees, hair in funny places. This was a professional medical man who regularly had to tell people they were riddled with cancer or losing their legs if they didn't knock off smoking, and he was reduced to an embarrassed teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Nintendo said it "never intended to make any form of social commentary" with the launch of the game.
    But by choosing to exclude the option for same-sex relationships between characters, that's exactly what they're doing.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/05/09...ame-inclusive/

Nintendo is looking to make up for the Tomodachi Life controversy, for what it's worth.

BANNED

I have been to a few gay bars, I like them but I always feel a little weird going to gay bars because shocker I am not gay, I want some bi bars dang it.

o

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    http://www.siliconera.com/2014/05/09...ame-inclusive/

Nintendo is looking to make up for the Tomodachi Life controversy, for what it's worth.
    Well, that sounds like a load of bull. The next Tomodachi Life game? Which would mean not a patch but a newly developed game according to their own definition since they claim this couldn't be done with a post-ship patch, which I'm not buying for a single second. The models are already in-game, the animations are as well, conversations can be easily patched to be inclusive. I would love to hear what the problem is with patching this because frankly it sounds like they simply can't be bothered, which they obviously couldn't when they were developing it in the first place and so they just tell people they'll include it in a new possible version which is unlikely to ever happen. The controversy will blow over because they "promised" to adres the issue in a next version and they'll never have to bother, they can just say that patching the game to update the game is cheaper than redevelopment.

All-New Member

I haven't ever met anyone who identifies as intersex

Well now you have! I was born with a medical condition that classifies me as intersex. I would also classify myself as bisexual. I know intersex is not something most people are terribly familiar with, so if anyone wants to ask any questions, fire away.

My "Loves of Peter Parker" poll: MJ always seemed more lively and engaging to me. I always knew about Gwen's symbolic status, but didn't know her as a character. Gwen held a similar status as Uncle Ben--pivotal figure in Peter's development, a symbol of failure. Mary Jane always felt more like a living, breathing character. Also, visually dynamic, and Gwen can't HOPE to touch MJ as Red Sonja! Just FIERCE!

New comic book discussion: re-imagine your favorite team line-up as a contemporary, queer-inclusive roster!

Mine? The classic New Teen Titans!

Robin: Dick Grayson, college dropout and sometime-sidekick of Batman. Dick not only questions the best path for himself, but also his possible bisexuality. He doesn't want a "Junior Justice League", but a team that serves as "the people's heroes"!

Wonder Girl: photographer Donna Troy followed Wonder Woman's heroic career since she was 12! A battle between Wonder Woman and the Titans of Myth ensnared Donna's foster family. Donna showed rare courage in saving the Staceys and risked her life defending Wonder Woman, despite lacking powers. She impressed Rhea and Coeus, resulting in a gift of powers like her idol...as well as a hint at an unexpected connection! A fan-girl's dreams came true, and Donna protects innocents from the monsters of Myth and Metahumanity alike as WONDER GIRL!

Kid Flash: pretty much plays out like Wally's traditional story, except a more prominent role. He's a POV character, meeting a fabulous group of friends, and learning that there's more to the world than his Midwestern upbringing taught him to expect. Wally is also an evangelical Christian, experiencing a crisis of faith, especially when he meets...

Raven: same origin, except keeping the Goth angle from the cartoon. Sharp-tongued, but coming from a colder place, rather than just snark. She's also frustrated with and frustrating Wally, since she may be Asexual.

Cyborg: Former athlete crippled and maimed when his parents' experiment goes horrifically wrong. However, instead of his dad doing all the work, Victor puts his gifted IQ to work and helps design the process that turns him from a broken cripple into the futuristic CYBORG!

Starfire: unlike the traditional origin, Kory is actually more like a space-born anarchist who rejects warfare after her slavery in the Citadel. She reluctantly uses her starbolts, feeling conflicted about using her powers for violence, but occasionally finds her Tamaranean temper getting the best of her! Much angst and soul-searching ensues when such moments happen. Kory is Bi, supporting Dick's own journey and encouraging a Poly relationship!

Changeling: a 1% Trust fund brat, Garfield Logan often finds himself at odds with Dick, Kory, and Donna. He expects to buy his way through life, shocking his friends with lavish spending and expecting money to resolve everything. Has a lot of growing up to do. A member of the Meta-Furry community, too.

After the Terra debacle, Jericho joins, as usual. Unlike the canon, Joey is gay this time around.

A good night for celebrating LGBT; and a lot of booing to Russia for their anti-gay laws. Britain's "Children of the Universe" was criminally under-voted for (damn politics!); and it needed more shirtless men (it is Eurovision, after all )

Austria wins Eurovision Song Contest
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27358560

Austrian drag act Conchita Wurst has been crowned the winner of the 59th annual Eurovision Song Contest held in Denmark's capital, Copenhagen. The singer, whose real name is Tom Neuwirth, won with the song Rise Like a Phoenix, collecting 290 points. It is the first time Austria has won the contest since 1966, and only the second time the country has competed in the final in the past 10 years as it either did not participate or qualify.

Wurst had been the second favourite to win behind Sweden going in to the competition, with many predicting the act could be too divisive among voters. However she was the clear winner, with her victory announced after 34 of the 37 countries had submitted their scores.

Collecting her trophy on stage the singer said: "This night is dedicated to everyone who believes in a future of peace and freedom. You know who you are - we are unity and we are unstoppable." Speaking backstage later, Wurst said she felt Europe had taken a stand by voting her the winner.

"I dream of a world where we don't have to talk about unnecessary things like sexuality, who you love. I felt like tonight Europe showed that we are a community of respect and tolerance," she said.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegastorm View Post
    I have been to a few gay bars, I like them but I always feel a little weird going to gay bars because shocker I am not gay, I want some bi bars dang it.

o
    EVERY bar is a "bi" bar.

LOL. . you might have to trust me on that. . but it's true.
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

"We pledge that if we create a next installment in the Tomodachi series, we will strive to design a game-play experience from the ground up that is more inclusive, and better represents all players."

I agree with Pro, this doesn't seem enough. Not only is this an "IF we make a sequel" it also doesn't directly state they will put in a homosexual couple in, merely "better represent." I'm wary of such 'clever vague use' of language. I'm still taking this with a huge grain of salt!

It's also a very backward-looking decision. Do we know who ultimately had the final word on this decision?

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    A good night for celebrating LGBT; and a lot of booing to Russia for their anti-gay laws. Britain's "Children of the Universe" was criminally under-voted for (damn politics!); and it needed more shirtless men (it is Eurovision, after all )

Austria wins Eurovision Song Contest
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27358560

Austrian drag act Conchita Wurst has been crowned the winner of the 59th annual Eurovision Song Contest held in Denmark's capital, Copenhagen. The singer, whose real name is Tom Neuwirth, won with the song Rise Like a Phoenix, collecting 290 points. It is the first time Austria has won the contest since 1966, and only the second time the country has competed in the final in the past 10 years as it either did not participate or qualify.

Wurst had been the second favourite to win behind Sweden going in to the competition, with many predicting the act could be too divisive among voters. However she was the clear winner, with her victory announced after 34 of the 37 countries had submitted their scores.

Collecting her trophy on stage the singer said: "This night is dedicated to everyone who believes in a future of peace and freedom. You know who you are - we are unity and we are unstoppable." Speaking backstage later, Wurst said she felt Europe had taken a stand by voting her the winner.

"I dream of a world where we don't have to talk about unnecessary things like sexuality, who you love. I felt like tonight Europe showed that we are a community of respect and tolerance," she said.

I completely let Eurovision pass me by this year. I'm listening to 'Rise Like A Phoenix' now. A well deserved win. Pretty sweet performance.
    <---(I'm a big fan of Phoenixes, after all!!)
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

First time posting here. I'm questioning, though leaning towards bisexual.

Starfire: unlike the traditional origin, Kory is actually more like a space-born anarchist who rejects warfare after her slavery in the Citadel. She reluctantly uses her starbolts, feeling conflicted about using her powers for violence, but occasionally finds her Tamaranean temper getting the best of her! Much angst and soul-searching ensues when such moments happen. Kory is Bi, supporting Dick's own journey and encouraging a Poly relationship!
    Tangent Man, if Kory is an anarchist, why make her a pacifist too? That just seems like a contradiction. If it's violence to protect yourself and your friends, that's different than using state-sponsored violence to conquer worlds and dominate.

I have a question for those interested: What is it like dating?
    Dumb question, I know, but I'm curious as to what dating is like within the community.
    Plus I figure since my chances of getting a date is low, I may as well find out what's like for others. (Gosh that sounds pathetic.)