Page 329 of 550 FirstFirst ... 229279319325326327328329330331332333339379429 ... LastLast
Results 4,921 to 4,935 of 8245

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Doesn't Disney own Marvel now?
    ?????

Errr... for years!
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Doesn't Disney own Marvel now?
    Yes, but they want to make it clear that both Marvel and the parent company Disney would boycott the state of Georgia if the bill were to become law.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Yes, but they want to make it clear that both Marvel and the parent company Disney would boycott the state of Georgia if the bill were to become law.
    Sure.

It's just not like it's Marvel making the call in a vacuum.

I think the Disney/Marvel announcement of their position on this is not only great, but probably will make a big difference in whether or not the proposed law actually enters into practice. I think the threat to the economy of several movie makers pulling out of Georgia will at least neuter the law.

As for Marvel not pushing queer characters enough, I'd have too disagree. We currently have a lesbian/translesbian series that will merge into the new Loki book, who ostensibly also is queer. We have queer ensemble leads in New Avengers, All-New Inhumans, Ultimates, Extraordinary X-Men, All-New X-Men and probably more that I'm forgetting. And there are quite a few queer supporting cast members about.

Whereas DC has more actual solo leads in Midnighter and Constantine, only one of which will have a book soon. They have a decent number of supporting cast members that are queer also, but not as many as they have had.

Basically, both companies could do more, but Marvel has a bigger problem in that most of its queer solo leads are derivatives of other characters or villains. It makes it harder to market them strongly. Hopefully they work around that, though.

I agree that marvel and Disney could do more in terms of the content they make but this is wonderful and a rare glimmer of light in such a horrible story. What a horrible way to treat trans citizens who have never had an incident in a bathroom that caused this law to treat them so harshly. I hope Disney and marvel follow through and other companies agree too.

We have a similar problem here where a bunch of companies paid for advertising during Mardi Gras saying hey support lgbtiq issues but unfortunately haven't said a word yet on supporting the safe schools program. It's very disappointing. Still, the fight goes on. In America too.

Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    As for Marvel not pushing queer characters enough, I'd have too disagree. We currently have a lesbian/translesbian series that will merge into the new Loki book, who ostensibly also is queer. We have queer ensemble leads in New Avengers, All-New Inhumans, Ultimates, Extraordinary X-Men, All-New X-Men and probably more that I'm forgetting. And there are quite a few queer supporting cast members about.
    They aren't leads in any of those comics. And Marvel has never had a gay solo series. EVER. They have never had an openly LGBT superhero in the MCU films. EVER. No LGBT character has lead any of the major teams. EVER. No, Marvel is not ignoring LGBT characters all together. But last year they bierased Herc, Loki's bisexuality never came up in his own solo series, and despite saying Herc is 100% str8 they then say about Angela "we don't want to label it."... and now they get on their high-horse about Georgia? No. I won't let them Aaron Sorkin the issue of gay rights. They need to put their money where their mouth is; in a serious and meaningful way. They have yet to do that. They are moving closer, but it's 2016 and they are behind the times.

I'm done playing "awwww, but they try... kinda".

Basically, both companies could do more, but Marvel has a bigger problem in that most of its queer solo leads are derivatives of other characters or villains. It makes it harder to market them strongly. Hopefully they work around that, though.
    They have Iceman, Wiccan, Hulkling, Northstar, Karma, Anole, MAC, Storm (if they wanted), Gambit (if they wanted); and they had Herc (). Daken is a derivative, and Loki is (sort of)... not that his bisexuality ever came UP but... most of their LGBT characters they COULD give a solo to, are not. And Marvel still doesn't. No-one by Marvel is halting that progress.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    They need to put their money where their mouth is; in a serious and meaningful way. They have yet to do that. They are moving closer, but it's 2016 and they are behind the times.
    Hmmm...

I'd say that addressing what is actually happening in the real world might be more "serious and meaningful" than giving a gay character an "Obviously Out" solo series.

Obviously not to say that there's something stopping them from doing both.

BANNED

I just posted photos of the first openly trans-man to make it the cover of Men's Health (European edition, though), on the News and Politics thread. For reasons. Go check.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    They aren't leads in any of those comics. And Marvel has never had a gay solo series. EVER. They have never had an openly LGBT superhero in the MCU films. EVER. No LGBT character has lead any of the major teams. EVER. No, Marvel is not ignoring LGBT characters all together. But last year they bierased Herc, Loki's bisexuality never came up in his own solo series, and despite saying Herc is 100% str8 they then say about Angela "we don't want to label it."... and now they get on their high-horse about Georgia? No. I won't let them Aaron Sorkin the issue of gay rights. They need to put their money where their mouth is; in a serious and meaningful way. They have yet to do that. They are moving closer, but it's 2016 and they are behind the times.

I'm done playing "awwww, but they try... kinda".

They have Iceman, Wiccan, Hulkling, Northstar, Karma, Anole, MAC, Storm (if they wanted), Gambit (if they wanted); and they had Herc (). Daken is a derivative, and Loki is (sort of)... not that his bisexuality ever came UP but... most of their LGBT characters they COULD give a solo to, are not. And Marvel still doesn't. No-one by Marvel is halting that progress.
    I didn't say they were perfect, just that there is decent representation for queer people in Marvel's current line. And I'm certain that Wiccan and Hulkling Star in New Avengers. They've had more page time than any other characters in that book. The same goes for lots of the characters you mentioned.

And there are more derivative characters in that list than you mentioned. Wiccan and Hulkling are both derivatives of Scarlet Witch and Hulk, by way of Captain Marvel, respectively. And Miss America is of course a modern take on the Captain America derivative of the same name, though she's very separate from that mythos conceptually. The rest are X-Men, really, which means they all have the same origin

Anyway, I don't see Marvel as " getting on their high horse" about not wanting to give money to a state that passes laws designed to allow discrimination. That seems like basic decency. Saying they can't decry one thing whilst not doing something unrelated just doesn't make sense. All that matters is they continually try to do more. Which they have been.

Hmmm...

I'd say that addressing what is actually happening in the real world might be more "serious and meaningful" than giving a gay character an "Obviously Out" solo series.

Obviously not to say that there's something stopping them from doing both.
    Well, doing something real has to beat representing something real.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    I just posted photos of the first openly trans-man to make it the cover of Men's Health (European edition, though), on the News and Politics thread. For reasons. Go check.
    Wow, he's hot. That would make me tempted to try a vagina. I feel like female-male works better than male-female does, unless they catch it before puberty or they just have the right frame for it. It's an interesting kind of hot?

I think Disney/Marvel and many of the other companies pulling business from GA and states like it is fantastic. But I do agree that they should lead by producing more LGBT material. Days of Futures Past really should have used Northstar over Quicksilver, I get the Magneto connection - but Wolverine knows him and it would have been the first gay character - who could have been the scene stealer in the movie. Northstar in general is underused at Marvel. He is their first gay character, ties to Wolverine and the X-Men, but underdeveloped and has some ties outside of the X-Universe.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    I think Disney/Marvel and many of the other companies pulling business from GA and states like it is fantastic. But I do agree that they should lead by producing more LGBT material. Days of Futures Past really should have used Northstar over Quicksilver, I get the Magneto connection - but Wolverine knows him and it would have been the first gay character - who could have been the scene stealer in the movie. Northstar in general is underused at Marvel. He is their first gay character, ties to Wolverine and the X-Men, but underdeveloped and has some ties outside of the X-Universe.
    Again, due nto being introduced as part of Alpha Flight it's possible that Fox doesn't have Northstar. We don't really know, as he's such a low-tier character popularity wise. It's really fairly unlikely we'll see him without an Alpha Flight movie from someone.

Invincible Member

Just to throw it out there, if Marvel were to publish an ongoing comic book with a LGBT lead that would be a real act. The comic would exist in our world and it's very existence would carry some social meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Just to throw it out there, if Marvel were to publish an ongoing comic book with a LGBT lead that would be a real act. The comic would exist in our world and it's very existence would carry some social meaning.
    They do, currently. Though Vote Loki might not count, so soon they may not have one anymore.

BANNED

Wow, he's hot. That would make me tempted to try a vagina. I feel like female-male works better than male-female does, unless they catch it before puberty or they just have the right frame for it. It's an interesting kind of hot?

I am excited Loki is getting another solo series; but (selfishly) I really do want a gay solo series. Midnighter made me very jealous. I want that kind of effort for Iceman or Northstar or Wiccan.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 03-25-2016 at 01:43 AM.