Page 521 of 550 FirstFirst ... 21421471511517518519520521522523524525531 ... LastLast
Results 7,801 to 7,815 of 8243

Be nice is buisnesses just did their damn jobs. As soon as you give people a choice based off of their beliefs thats where problems start save for the obvious "Dudes wearing Nazi stuff".

Happy New Year everyone

A UK MP has 'come out' as pansexual. That's a new one on me!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50978997

Happy new year!

Gee even with the brexit stuff the UK is just light years ahead. How was everyone’s holidays? I went to Hong Kong and South Korea. Plus I got to watch rocketman on the plane, the Elton John story. That was wonderful, everyone should watch that

Happy New Year, everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Is anyone else enjoying The Witcher at the moment? I’m almost through it and honestly I’m loving every second of it. I never cared for game of thrones but I do love fantasy so this makes me very happy

I loved The Witcher books, never played the games, and I thoroughly enjoyed the first season. Cavill was cute but I was far more into it for the story than the fan service.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Yeah fair enough, thank god there’s a second season coming though! So they’ve got an opportunity to go deeper into the mythos.

But yeah Cavill is very very cute. He looks like a mills and boon hero

Astonishing Member

Bayard Rustin, Gay Civil Rights Leader, Is Pardoned in California

LOS ANGELES — The civil rights leader Bayard Rustin, whose legacy had been tarnished by a 1953 conviction under laws that targeted L.G.B.T.Q. people, was posthumously pardoned by Gov. Gavin Newsom of California on Tuesday.

State lawmakers who lobbied for the pardon had called those old laws unjust tools of oppression. Governor Newsom also announced a process that would allow anyone convicted under the laws to seek clemency.

Mr. Rustin, who died in 1987 at age 75, worked alongside Martin Luther King Jr. for decades. He was a planner of the Montgomery bus boycott and the primary architect of the March on Washington in 1963. But other leaders distanced themselves publicly because he was gay.

The pardon overturned a 1953 criminal conviction. Mr. Rustin spent 50 days in Los Angeles County jail and was registered as a sex offender after being discovered having sex in a parked car in Pasadena, Calif.
    Not only did Mr. Newsom pardon Mr. Rustin, but he issued a broader clemency initiative aimed at clearing others who faced similar treatment.

“In California and across the country, many laws have been used as legal tools of oppression, and to stigmatize and punish L.G.B.T.Q. people and communities and warn others what harm could await them for living authentically,” Mr. Newsom said in a statement. “I thank those who advocated for Bayard Rustin’s pardon, and I want to encourage others in similar situations to seek a pardon to right this egregious wrong.”

In 1997, the state established a process that allows some people with similar convictions to be removed from the sex offender registry. But that doesn’t affect the underlying conviction or count as a pardon. The new initiative will work to identify and pardon eligible people.
    Was not familiar with Mr Rustin or his work and advocacy prior to this article. But this really touched me reading this. Hes long dead but the fact that people felt like he deserved to have his name cleared and that he should be remembered for the good deeds he tried to do and his work in the Civil rights movement and Gay advocacy without the asterisk of "sex offender" for being targeted for being gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Plus I got to watch rocketman on the plane, the Elton John story. That was wonderful, everyone should watch that
    Still not seen it yet. I try to watch most of the main Oscar contenders in the run-up, but the trailer really put me off. It was giving me Bohemian Rhapsody vibes of brushing aside his sexuality. And while I know the creators are often not the ones with any influence on the trailer, it still... just put me off making it a priority. I'll watch it when it comes on Netflix.

SIDE NOTE: best Oscar films I've seen so far are Marriage Story and 1917. Both STUNNING! And Klaus... SO GOOD! I hope it wins best animation.

Is anyone else enjoying The Witcher at the moment? I’m almost through it and honestly I’m loving every second of it. I never cared for game of thrones but I do love fantasy so this makes me very happy
    I tried 3 episodes. Oh boy... it was BAD! Henry Cavil was the only good thing about it.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Aw, I loved it! But yes 1917 was incredible! I have no idea how they made it. I totally get what you mean because I was worried it was going to be another bohemian rhapsody situation. But trust me, it’s super gay and taron is wonderful

Bayard Rustin is such an important figure. If you want to keep hearing about interesting LGBTIQ people in history look up Simon Nkoli who fought apartheid and started Johannesburg’s first pride march.

So this may only matter to UK fans, but Phillip Schofield came out. So happy for him, it was very emotional and I support anyone coming out (even Kevin Spacey, as AWFUL and problematic as that was). But some of the responses online... UGH!!! It's really emphasizing how far we've come and HOW FAR we have to go. But yey, Phillip Schofield.

1917 was incredible! I have no idea how they made it.
    "Apparently" there were 5 cuts in the film, I knew that going in, and I think I saw moments that could have been the cut (such as traveling past the barrels, that's an easy-ish possible cut moment) BUT I have no idea, none, how they managed to get it so smooth, and be three dimensional and travel and travel and travel. The explosion and that make-up in linear time??? MY GOD! It's a work of art. If it doesn't win Best Cinematography and Best Production Design a crime would have been committed.

And considering "who was snubbed" was such a big issue this year, George MacKay was SO GOOD! And the difficult of that work was overlooked and ignored. If Natlie Portman can win an Oscar for re-learning ballet, he damn well deserved one for that choreography. To learn all his placements, but no having any markers, lot of intricate work and he isn't getting enough credit. On top of that he was emotionally raw and so subtle, I loved his work. ROBBED of a nomination.

[ref. Rocketman] I totally get what you mean because I was worried it was going to be another bohemian rhapsody situation. But trust me, it’s super gay and taron is wonderful
    I'll give it a whirl when it comes on Netflix, but that trailer lost me. I'm not hear to support, on any level, anyone wanting to make money off gay people, but not wanting to acknowledge they are gay (*cough* Bohemian Rhapsody *cough*)

Bayard Rustin is such an important figure. If you want to keep hearing about interesting LGBTIQ people in history look up Simon Nkoli who fought apartheid and started Johannesburg’s first pride march.
    https://www.instagram.com/artbycheyne/
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Yeah I saw that, good on him. It takes a lot of bravery to overcome years of indoctrination. I hope he looks after himself.

Is anyone watching doctor who? This season has had some great moments

Is anyone watching doctor who? This season has had some great moments
    I'm not sure I'm up-to-date, but the last one I caught was (FINALLY) getting good with spoilers:
    the other Doctor
    end of spoilers. Loved it! But they need to fire the casting director; so, SO MANY of the guest stars and recurring roles are just bad actors, and the companions are awful. I also feel bad, as I think she's a great actress, but they have crippled her with these terrible companions, and she's not... in command. It's frustrating. They'll find their groove, soon, maybe/hopefully. I remember Capaldi was horrible when they were still trying to make him Matt Smith, but he really came into his own when they started writing him as a grumpy old man. So I'm excited for them to write Whittaker with some balls (pun intended). And (fingers crossed) the Master kills all the companions ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I'm not sure I'm up-to-date, but the last one I caught was (FINALLY) getting good with spoilers:
    the other Doctor
    end of spoilers. Loved it! But they need to fire the casting director; so, SO MANY of the guest stars and recurring roles are just bad actors, and the companions are awful. I also feel bad, as I think she's a great actress, but they have crippled her with these terrible companions, and she's not... in command. It's frustrating. They'll find their groove, soon, maybe/hopefully. I remember Capaldi was horrible when they were still trying to make him Matt Smith, but he really came into his own when they started writing him as a grumpy old man. So I'm excited for them to write Whittaker with some balls (pun intended). And (fingers crossed) the Master kills all the companions ASAP.
    I loved that episode! But I know what you mean by the companions. Graham is sweet and Yaz is nice but geez Ryan is so boring. I wonder if he’s over it or if he’s just that bad an actor. Surely there must be better people who would want the role?

I’m loving Whittaker Doctor though, I hope she sticks around for years and we get a Christmas special this year

Ryan is so boring. I wonder if he’s over it or if he’s just that bad an actor. Surely there must be better people who would want the role?
    He's a terrible actor, who has no affinity for emotion or acting. One of the worst actors I've seen on a major show in my life. Why he was cast? Fire that casting director, they clearly are incapable of doing their job. It's Doctor Who, god dammit, they had access to nearly every actor in the country. HOW did they end up with that car crash? But based on nearly all the guest stars, it's just terrible casting in general. And I think it really hammered home when Lenny Henry was in it, because I'd gotten so used to terrible actors in the show, Sir Lenny reminded me... oh yeah, this is what it's like when a skilled actor is in Doctor Who.

I’m loving Whittaker Doctor though, I hope she sticks around for years and we get a Christmas special this year
    I just hope people give her more of a chance. The writing isn't doing her many favours, and the casting is atrocious. THAT IS NOT HER FAULT! She shines despite that, and I hope her time isn't poisoned by terrible production management.