Page 10 of 550 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110510 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Ditto! I don't know if anyone played Eternal Champions back in the day of Megadrive, but Shadow (basically Psylocke) kicked ASS and looked good doing it.
    YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS~~~~~~~~~~~~ i had this game!~ & U called it a MEGADRIVE. WE'RE BRITISH BUDDIES.
    Did you have Streets of Rage 2? i always went blaze. VOY-TAH
    Last edited by Flight; 05-02-2014 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    I liked Origins for what it was, though I haven't gotten to finish it. I heard that DA2's story was terrible, however.
    I thought DA2's story was fine, for what it was. It's just that it was.... narrower in scope, I guess. The whole story was set in one city and it's immediate surroundings, so there was none of this running around all over the map trying to get armies together. I feel like your choices had less impact on the storyline, and you could only play as a human. But I enjoyed the gameplay more, liked that it was fully voice-acted, and thought the graphics were a lot better, especially during fights (though they reused scenery way way too much). I did end my first play-through with no love interest, though, since I kept flirting with the Captain of the Guard (I think her name is Evelin?) and it turns out she's not a romanceable character.

I'd note that the lack of LGBT characters in both Star Trek and Star Wars is bothersome, and it's been something that many of it's writers seem to avoid at all costs. There are rare examples, such as Juhani's lesbianism in Knights of the Old Republic, but it often goes by ambiguity rather than anything explicit.

I nearly exclusively play women in RPGs; mainly because the women often get cooler capes and hoods (lame, I know, but it's true). Female wizards in Balduer's Gate look epic, male wizard just look like old men. Also Zelda's the best in Smash Bros, and Peach looks like a pink Bride from Kill Bill on her bike in Mario Kart. It's all about the visuals; women can nearly always look better at men, they have more choices in their ensemble. The Oscars, actresses and what they wear is almost as big as who wins. The men = outside of a wonky bow-tie, no-one cares what we wear.
    If a game gives me the option I will almost always play as a female character.

Hi everyone. I identify as gender fluid, it's something I've only recently come to terms with. For many years I was confused because I'm physically male and most days I'm fine with that yet I often feel like a woman and fantasize about living my life as one. I didn't know what to make of it until I came across a post about gender fluidity on tumblr. I've also begun cross dressing although I only do it in private when I have the house all to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostwise View Post
    Yeah, but if you ask me to remember how many romance arcs there were in BG2 to see which way goes the trend, my answer is going to be "LOOK BEHIND YOU A MONKEY !" because that was too long ago for me.
    Aerie was the sweetest (minus her monologues about torture and mutilation ), Jaheira was complex (but the most rewarding) and Viconia ends with you to apart (until the 3rd). Anomen spoilers:
    gets bitten and turned into a vampire
    end of spoilers

Loved all of it (though Aerie's was too easy to complete, and you get no extra missions due to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    I found it very strange, once I stopped to think about it. With the '90s Trek series TNG, DS9, and VOY, I can understand it as part of the TV zeitgeist. The fact that Enterprise chose to continue on this heterosexist road, is baffling.

With Abrams' Trek movies taking a wholly different approach to the franchise, i.e. being a lot lighter on exploration and philosophy and being more action-focused, I don't see this improve any time soon.
    I understand why TNG didn't (though a series once ahead of the grain should have been bolder). But I would even argue by the time of Voyager it should have happened. But yes, when Enterprise debuted, it was 2001. A missed opportunity.

The reboot was another perfect chance to be bold... *le sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by SpOck View Post
    I think Mirror Ezri was also a lesbian, but I can't think of anyone else.
    I can't remember, there was something about her "faking it" to get close to Kira BUT she also (I think) hit on herself???

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    Brent Spiner?
    George Takei?
    Is Brent Spiner gay? Also, Sulu isn't gay, nor was Takei openly gay when he was cast in Star Trek (ditto for Zachary Quintos).

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS~~~~~~~~~~~~ i had this game!~ & U called it a MEGADRIVE. WE'RE BRITISH BUDDIES.
    Did you have Streets of Rage 2? i always went blaze. VOY-TAH
    LOVEEEEEEEEEEEED that game. And ditto for Blaze (though I always found Alex Stone to be hot) :P

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-03-2014 at 01:45 AM.

I'd note that the lack of LGBT characters in both Star Trek and Star Wars is bothersome, and it's been something that many of it's writers seem to avoid at all costs. There are rare examples, such as Juhani's lesbianism in Knights of the Old Republic, but it often goes by ambiguity rather than anything explicit.
    I'm trying to think of LGBT characters in sci-fi... fantasy I think we see more examples. I mean even Battlestar Galactica (arguably the greatest sci-fi series) had Admiral Kane... and that was it. Doctor Who has the Sherlock Holmes/alien lesbian couple.

Which do you think we'll see first? A LGBT Star Trek main cast member or an LGBT hero in Marvel films

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar87 View Post
    If a game gives me the option I will almost always play as a female character.
    Ditto. At the very least it's my natural instinct the first time I play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar87 View Post
    Hi everyone. I identify as gender fluid, it's something I've only recently come to terms with. For many years I was confused because I'm physically male and most days I'm fine with that yet I often feel like a woman and fantasize about living my life as one. I didn't know what to make of it until I came across a post about gender fluidity on tumblr. I've also begun cross dressing although I only do it in private when I have the house all to myself.
    To be honest, I had never heard the term until very recently. I (ignorantly) assumed people felt like they were one or the other, it never occurred to me that many feel they are meant for both. Makes me think of the Two-Spirits in Native American culture.

BANNED

I'm trying to think of LGBT characters in sci-fi... fantasy I think we see more examples. I mean even Battlestar Galactica (arguably the greatest sci-fi series) had Admiral Kane... and that was it. Doctor Who has the Sherlock Holmes/alien lesbian couple.
    Dune... Baron Vladimir Harkonnen, an overweight gay man with an appetite for twinks... and his nephew.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Which do you think we'll see first? A LGBT Star Trek main cast member or an LGBT hero in Marvel films
    I doubt we'll see either, too soon. I kinda miss Torchwood now, though.

Franchises tend to be the wrong place to look for anything but the safest of safe heteronormative bets. I mean DS9's Garak and Sisko's issues with historically inaccurate holodeck programs made Next Gen look ridiculously heteronormative and naive, but even something like ye olde muppets in space, Farscape made DS9 look stifled, because there was less of a giant brand to uphold. I can't look to Trek for diversity or even a reflection of the social reality surrounding me daily, because too many eps and movies have increasingly stabilized that the future is about white straight dudes in military service and the occasional hot woman in her underwear. Maybe a pan-Asian, pan-Indian, pan-ethnic dude can get in there for a second, but really they're all the same. (And what was up with the Starfleet officer Scotty treats like a pet in the first of the new movies? Like a pet.)

For its time, Sulu was a giant leap in all good directions, with a Japanese guy being all shirtless and flamboyant, with a real job, sex appeal, and non-stereotyped hobbies. Uhura had a job and a personality, though mostly she took orders and sat around pretty the presence was massive. Past that? They wouldn't do Picard and Q in bed, even after it was planned, Riker had that whole romance with someone who needed to pick gender and it just became an episode about heteronormative gender roles and being straight as straight can... DS9 did some interesting things but was generally a turn off for Trek fans, Voyager, Enterprise, et al were pathetic in terms of the treatment of ethnicities, cultures, etc, and it's never really advanced past there, despite the broader American society seemingly getting further along as a whole.

Original Trek represented the era it was produced in. Current Trek represents a whitewashed version of the era the original series was produced in. Asians is asians! Some Asians is white dudes! Everybody be straight and macho! Spock, quit checking out Kirk! Ladies, if you're not in a skirt, you're in your undies!

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

QUESTION: how many of your (let's say "Top 10") favourite comic characters are LGBT?

To answer the question myself, Wiccan (2nd), Daken (8th) and Loki (9th) are the only three LGBT characters in my list (and, Loki was in BEFORE he was outed).
    I don't really have an order but I like Wiccan and Hulkling, I liked Batwoman with Rucka on and went with it with JHW3 but didn't follow after that even if they did hire a gay writer I was just too worn out of nu52 and left. My not-so-gay-but-gayish list includes pre-52 Superboy/Kon-El. He hit the pages when i was a teenager and I crushed on him then, fade and all (it was the 90s and I though he looked like Ed Furlong). Also have been a Green Lantern/Hal Jordan fan since I was a kid watching Superfriends but I like all the Lanterns.

I think this was in response to the news Chris Evans has a gay brother. He is hot too:

Also, Sulu isn't gay, nor was Takei openly gay when he was cast in Star Trek (ditto for Zachary Quintos).
    Sulu could be Bi though, in one timeline he met a girl and settled down and in this one he could meet a boy.

I'm going to guess Marvel only because they can get away with using a known LGBT character but not bothering to depict their personal life onscreen. It's a cop-out but one Marvel can do before Trek. You said main cast for Trek and only LGBT hero in a Marvel movie. Heck Fox could cast a gay guy to play Northstar in Wolverine/X-Men/Alpha Flight and get our money for doing it even without really saying it (although as desperate as Fox is to wring every dollar out, they might say it unless the Singer suit scares them away from all gay people). Marvel/Hasbro has a Northstar toy out.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    DS9 did some interesting things but was generally a turn off for Trek fans, Voyager, Enterprise, et al were pathetic in terms of the treatment of ethnicities, cultures, etc, and it's never really advanced past there, despite the broader American society seemingly getting further along as a whole.

Original Trek represented the era it was produced in. Current Trek represents a whitewashed version of the era the original series was produced in. Asians is asians! Some Asians is white dudes! Everybody be straight and macho! Spock, quit checking out Kirk! Ladies, if you're not in a skirt, you're in your undies!
    Yeah, it's surprising Enterprise didn't do anything more LGB inclusive since it premiered after Ellen and Will&Grace and it wasn't too boundary pushing by then. Not surprised that since they're money-making movies again the studios are wary. Studios thing only straight, white men watch movies.

Edit: There's an interesting article with opinions by actors, Gene Rodenberry and about the block maybe being Rick Berman? JJ Abrahms claims to be shocked there were no LGBT characters but still doesn't include any in ST:ID (and Whoopi is her awesome self)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_Ch...T_in_Star_Trek
    Last edited by PretenderNX01; 05-03-2014 at 09:13 AM.

Is Brent Spiner gay? Also, Sulu isn't gay, nor was Takei openly gay when he was cast in Star Trek (ditto for Zachary Quintos).
    I actually forgot about Zachary -- but yeah, he actually WAS out when cast in the Trek films as Spock.

(he came out during "Heroes". . tho not a whole lot of media outlets picked up on it.

As to Spiner. . . the answer is "yes". . it's one of those Hollywood Open Secrets, similar to Jodie Foster (who just married her girlfriend a couple of weeks back)
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

What about Captain Jack?

or Ianto from Torchwood? (both Bisexual, but absolutely front and center characters, on Doctor Who/Torchwood).

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

As to Spiner. . . the answer is "yes". . it's one of those Hollywood Open Secrets, similar to Jodie Foster (who just married her girlfriend a couple of weeks back)
    Jodie Foster is gay? I didn't even know, how awesome!

What about Captain Jack?
    or Ianto from Torchwood? (both Bisexual, but absolutely front and center characters, on Doctor Who/Torchwood).
    And The Doctor himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebon View Post
    And The Doctor himself.
    yes, but much more of a story point (and referenced to) with the Captain

Jodie Foster is gay? I didn't even know, how awesome!
    yep.

she chose not to speak about it for years and years, and then last year, thanked her girlfriend in an acceptance speech, and then just recently:

CONGRATS to her.

(and Lilly Tomlin too, who also just recently married her longtime girlfriend)