Page 105 of 550 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 8245
    Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    The choice of images is rather cheeky! But there are so many of these coming outs that I haven't heard of and just haven't hit the big headlines. It's been years and years since I came out, but it's so great to hear when more and more are doing so. When I was 12, the only LGBT people I really knew about were myself and John Barrowman. Five years later, I have a whole host of friends coming out. In the media, that kid at the Olympics? He's gay. Kitty Pryde? She's gay! What a great world we live in.

The bit about the homecoming guys is really cute though.

I saw the Daniel Pierce video a couple of months ago and that was really hard to watch. I wanted to click stop, but something in me just couldn't. I hope everything goes well for him, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Singer
    Talking about human sexuality is like talking about the second World War.
    Quote of the year.

---

So, I watched The Boy in the Dress yesterday. It's great to see something LGBT themed over Christmas on primetime BBC One, although it's something better suited for CBBC. It has an uplifting message of acceptance, but that's only through absurd comedy grounded within one-dimensional stereotypes. The working class single dad who wants his boys to grow up to be "real men", and thinks homeschooling consists of watching episodes of Antiques Roadshow and the History Channel. The anachronistic, Grange Hill-esque headteacher who fires the protagonist on the spot for wearing a dress without discussing with other teachers or parents. Oh, and the ending's optimistic reveal is that the transphobic headteacher is actually a crossdresser who cycles to the corner shop every morning as his 'sister'. (!) There's other ridiculous things too, like the substitute History teacher - the P.E. teacher - who teaches the First World War by talking about prime minister Winston Churchill.

But the idea that the school is an *******, and that it's only through other kids in the school campaigning against asinine management that the decision is reversed? That is what holds truth. And the fact that P.E. is just a whole lot of masculine values that the school is trying to reinforce? Very true too. Back in KS3/GCSE, it wasn't homophobic (our teacher called one of the kids out on using 'gay' as an insult), but the school was certainly pretty sexist about it.

And adults still need to learn this stuff, honestly, which is why using the dad can be a relatable character. Halfway through my mum asked me "So why did he go to the school in a dress?" Well, the special doesn't really give one reason except curiosity and that it makes one feel "comfortable". So I just said "he likes it and he might be trans", in case 'gender dysphoria' was too big a phrase for her.

Oh, and David Walliams appears, as camp as ever.

The iPlayer link only works in the UK (and presuming you have a TV license), but for those outside the UK who want to watch it, I'm sure someone will put it on YouTube or elsewhere at some point.
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    My "Top 5" Favourites
    - Ellen Page, Actress, Juno
    - Tim Cook, Apple CEO
    - Lauren Morelli and Samira Wiley, Lead Writer and Actress, Orange is the New Black
    - Michael Sam, NFL Free Agent
    and
    - Sam Smith, British Singer

AMAZING response; so eloquent and perfect...

Jesse Tyler Ferguson Defends Modern Family's Mitch and Cam After Actor Calls Them the 'Gay Equivalent of Blackface'
    http://www.towleroad.com/2014/12/jes...uivalent-.html

P.S. and this posters response in the comment section is HILARIOUS: Tuc Watkins just came out last year. At age 47. You really need to not be a closet case for a couple of years before you earn the right to betch about others. OHHHHHHH, snap!

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by America / Bucky / Russia View Post
    So, I watched The Boy in the Dress yesterday. It's great to see something LGBT themed over Christmas on primetime BBC One, although it's something better suited for CBBC. It has an uplifting message of acceptance, but that's only through absurd comedy grounded within one-dimensional stereotypes. The working class single dad who wants his boys to grow up to be "real men", and thinks homeschooling consists of watching episodes of Antiques Roadshow and the History Channel. The anachronistic, Grange Hill-esque headteacher who fires the protagonist on the spot for wearing a dress without discussing with other teachers or parents. Oh, and the ending's optimistic reveal is that the transphobic headteacher is actually a crossdresser who cycles to the corner shop every morning as his 'sister'. (!) There's other ridiculous things too, like the substitute History teacher - the P.E. teacher - who teaches the First World War by talking about prime minister Winston Churchill.

But the idea that the school is an *******, and that it's only through other kids in the school campaigning against asinine management that the decision is reversed? That is what holds truth. And the fact that P.E. is just a whole lot of masculine values that the school is trying to reinforce? Very true too. Back in KS3/GCSE, it wasn't homophobic (our teacher called one of the kids out on using 'gay' as an insult), but the school was certainly pretty sexist about it.

And adults still need to learn this stuff, honestly, which is why using the dad can be a relatable character. Halfway through my mum asked me "So why did he go to the school in a dress?" Well, the special doesn't really give one reason except curiosity and that it makes one feel "comfortable". So I just said "he likes it and he might be trans", in case 'gender dysphoria' was too big a phrase for her.

Oh, and David Walliams appears, as camp as ever.

The iPlayer link only works in the UK (and presuming you have a TV license), but for those outside the UK who want to watch it, I'm sure someone will put it on YouTube or elsewhere at some point.
    Which is why I didn't watch it. I hate that man.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Which is why I didn't watch it. I hate that man.
    I've not seen much of his work. The odd clip from Little Britain and the episode of Doctor Who he was in.
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    CBR's LGBT Community

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    AMAZING response; so eloquent and perfect...

Jesse Tyler Ferguson Defends Modern Family's Mitch and Cam After Actor Calls Them the 'Gay Equivalent of Blackface'
    http://www.towleroad.com/2014/12/jes...uivalent-.html

Wouldn't blackface be closer to two female actresses pretending to be male characters in this case? I've not seen the series, but I suspect the couple is nowhere near "I'm eatin mah watermelon" offensive. Like, they'd need to be in drag, then say "oh yeah it's just a phase", but not before going super-high pitched and penetrating any male in sight.
    CBR's LGBT Community

Wouldn't blackface be closer to two female actresses pretending to be male characters in this case? I've not seen the series, but I suspect the couple is nowhere near "I'm eatin mah watermelon" offensive. Like, they'd need to be in drag, then say "oh yeah it's just a phase", but not before going super-high pitched and penetrating any male in sight.
    I agree it's an absurd accusation; the attempted parallel between straight actors playing gay characters and white actors playing black characters is so vastly different it's not even worth refuting (and it should be noted Jesse IS GAY!!!!). Modern Family (like the Ellen Show) has done wonders for gay rights, because it's a gay couple middle America can relate to, accept and root for. THAT MATTERS!!! Also the entire show plays on "stereotypes" then twists them into hilarious non-stereotypes. That's where the comedy comes from. Personally I like seeing a NON-model good looks gay couple. I do agree they should have handled "the Kiss" sooner; but they are learning as a series. And "the Wedding: PART I & II" could be one of my favourite two-parters in television history.

I've not seen much of his work. The odd clip from Little Britain and the episode of Doctor Who he was in.
    Basically his whole act is just playing a gay stereotype. Even when he is meant to be playing a character trying to woo a woman, he's doing the whole flaming stereotype thing.

Amusingly enough if anything could be called gay 'blackface' it's him.

Basically his whole act is just playing a gay stereotype. Even when he is meant to be playing a character trying to woo a woman, he's doing the whole flaming stereotype thing.

Amusingly enough if anything could be called gay 'blackface' it's him.
    David Walliams is incredibly camp, but NOT gay. In fact he's breaking down stereotypes (not all camp people or effeminate people are LGBT). He's a wonderful ally, he story "the Boy in the Dress" was just made into a Christmas one-off special this year, and -- most importantly -- being camp and admitting men can be attractive is NOT a sole trait of gay people (it's not "gayblackface" to be camp but straight).

Sadly the children's book lacks a dress on the front cover, but does gain Quentin Blake (aka my childhood).
    CBR's LGBT Community

David Walliams is incredibly camp, but NOT gay. In fact he's breaking down stereotypes (not all camp people or effeminate people are LGBT). He's a wonderful ally, he story "the Boy in the Dress" was just made into a Christmas one-off special this year, and -- most importantly -- being camp and admitting men can be attractive is NOT a sole trait of gay people (it's not "gayblackface" to be camp but straight).
    I just dont like him and I dont like his act, and if I was overtly camp, I'd be insulted that he was creating a character out of the traits that define a part of me.

I dont deny that his stuff like the Boy in the Dress are likely amazing for young lads in that position, or even just to help 'normalise' things, but I just dont like David Walliams.

It's like Tom Hanks. I dont deny he can play the roles he plays well enough, but I just dont like him and he has a face I want to punch

It's like Tom Hanks. I dont deny he can play the roles he plays well enough, but I just dont like him and he has a face I want to punch
    I feel the same way about Jennifer Lawrence.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

I just dont like him and I dont like his act, and if I was overtly camp, I'd be insulted that he was creating a character out of the traits that define a part of me.
    The point is: IT'S NOT AN ACT!!!! He just IS overtly camp. If an overtly camp gay person finds someone else overtly camp straightness offensive, they need to grow a thicker skin and get over it (they are not unique or original in that trait). It's ludicrous (and, amusingly, close-minded) to think campness is "only for gays." No it's not, some people are just far more effeminate and overemotional than others; sexuality has nothing to do with it. Disliking David Walliams for being overtly camp is like a curvy woman disliking a guy for have a larger "booty". It's not something only they get to have or be. But more importantly: disliking Walliams for being camp because that is "what gays do" is identical to people saying "that guy can't be gay" because he acts butch. Closemindedness is wrong; esp. when perpetrated by minorities who should know better than to be so judgemental in their assessment of what someone can or can't be.

I dont deny that his stuff like the Boy in the Dress are likely amazing for young lads in that position, or even just to help 'normalise' things, but I just dont like David Walliams.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 12-28-2014 at 05:43 PM.

BANNED

The point is: IT'S NOT AN ACT!!!! He just IS overtly camp. If an overtly camp gay person finds someone else overtly camp straightness offensive, they need to grow a thicker skin and get over it (they are not unique or original in that trait). It's ludicrous (and, amusingly, close-minded) to think campness is "only for gays." No it's not, some people are just far more effeminate and overemotional than others; sexuality has nothing to do with it. Disliking David Walliams for being overtly camp is like a curvy woman disliking a guy for have a larger "booty". It's not something only they get to have or be. But more importantly: disliking Walliams for being camp because that is "what gays do" is identical to people saying "that guy can't be gay" because he acts butch. Closemindedness is wrong; esp. when perpetrated by minorities who should know better than to be so judgemental in their assessment of what someone can or can't be.
    Hey. We're always being told to judge people by who they are, rather than their race or sexuality or whatever. So if someone like Walliams just has a personality they despise, and that personality is camp, then that's fair game.

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    Hey. We're always being told to judge people by who they are, rather than their race or sexuality or whatever. So if someone like Walliams just has a personality they despise, and that personality is camp, then that's fair game.
    There's nothing wrong with finding him annoying (we all have celebrities we don't much care for) and apologies to legion_quest; my post was perhaps harsher than it needed to be. BUT there is something wrong with finding his campness offensive (because it isn't anything to be offended about). That we shouldn't tolerate, because it IS judging someone on their sexuality (it merely happens that in this case the sexuality is straight). Disliking Walliams for being camp (when straight) is akin to disliking a gay person for being a Christian. It's not an "either/or" situation; you can be both.

Now I do agree Walliams plays up to it, but so what? All celebrities play up to the traits that people like/gets them attention. Beyonce plays up her fierceness, Alan Carr plays up his b*tchness, Miranda Hart plays up her awkwardness. They are merely accenting traits they already possesses for a mass market. More power to Walliams (and he is an AMAZING Ally, with a capital A; for that we should be happy).