Page 13 of 550 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113513 ... LastLast
    Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Has anyone here been to pride? I have never been to one of those. I got to a lot of smaller LQBT events, but never pride.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    no one comments on my "walking on air" picture?

goes to the corner and cries!

IT'S LIKE A SMITHS SONG UP IN HERE!!!!!
    Cool pic, but it gave me vertigo.

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    Has anyone here been to pride? I have never been to one of those. I got to a lot of smaller LQBT events, but never pride.
    I've only gone once, about 2 years ago. One of my female best friends, who is bisexual, finally talked me into going with her. I had a lot of fun. Was the first time I ever did something like that (that isn't Halloween) and went to bars/clubs and had a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Not a press conference per say but you do have to acknowledge it in public to be "out". If you refuse to talk about it in any interview, you're not out. Quinto for a while would say that his private life was private and not speak about it, thus Keiron saying he wasn't "out".

"Quinto, who has been outspoken on gay rights issues in the past, told The New York Times last year that even though blogs were full of speculation about his orientation, he preferred “not to feed the rumor mill with either substantiation or dismissal.”"
    http://www.mtv.com/news/1672610/zachary-quinto-gay/

"Open secret" is still trying to hold onto it being secret, "basically out" is still basically in. Either you're fine with everyone knowing, or your not. It's his choice either way but he wasn't out at the time of the first Star Trek, he was for the second and by then no one seemed to care which is cool.
    Quinto saying his private life is private is pretty much saying, who I'm doing is less important that what I'm doing.

BANNED

I went to Amsterdam pride

Biggest pride-thing in this country at least. It was fun, slutting around in public still feels a bit weird. It helps that it's not an overly sexual-thing. Yeah sure you have a couple of over-the-top entries, but most of the boats are pretty subdued. If the weather is good at least you get to look at cute shirtless guys. I guess it's different here than it is in America, we lack the overbearing religious right to spoil the fun with talk of hellfire and jesus... all the major political parties have their own entry.

Never been to one, but I have attended my local college's GSA and their local events. I had a lot of fun with it, and I've made a few friends from it. Has anyone else been with a GSA group in the past?

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Thanks for letting me know guys, I have been really interested in going this year....but still, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    Never been to one, but I have attended my local college's GSA and their local events. I had a lot of fun with it, and I've made a few friends from it. Has anyone else been with a GSA group in the past?
    I was not active in my highschool GSA, cause I was not out. But I am very active with my college LGBTQA club, I am the vice president lol.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

My dad took me to pride when I was a wee lil'un (he identifies as gay). The only times I have gone to pride as a "grown-up" were:

1) at the end of my first year out - i.e. my freshman year of college. I followed it up with some pride parties, and it was nuts. Not something an introvert like me could do often, for sure... but something I think everyone oughta experience once.

2) last summer while I was spending a summer in Albany, NY, I made a trip down to NYC for pride. Albany gets pretty dire, so there was a definite need to go out, mix it up. I was surprised to find that NYC pride, both in the parade itself and the events at bars after, was far more tame than Chicago's pride. The parade, at least, was worth visiting. Not so much ~~crazy stuff~~, lots of things more on the spectrum of political activism and community support. It was LONG, but also instilled sort of warm nice happy feelings of remolding the norm, not being isolated, having a wider and supportive community, etc.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I've done pride stuff in a few cities, but I'm not a real parade guy. I like them for five minutes, but then there better be booths, shows, or good stores nearby... food... something. Mostly, if I go, it's a sense of duty thing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by galaxygnome View Post
    (he identifies as gay).
    So he isn't gay? Or he is?

Quote Originally Posted by End of Time View Post
    So he isn't gay? Or he is?
    He is. He just stated his sexuality.

Spectacular Member

A bit late, but here I am. Didn't know we had one of these at CBR. Hello everyone! Gay male here.

Spectacular Member

I think it's good to go at least once for the experience; I'm totally not a party/parade kind of guy but since I live near the gay village, I usually stroll out to at least once during Pride weekend to take in the spectacle. Plus it's Worldpride in Toronto this year so that will be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    Yeah, my high school (I think it was actually the counseling office) starting one near the end of my sophmore year (that would've been '01). I ended up being president my senior year, basically because nobody else would. I'm not really a leadership person, and we didn't really do anything that year except watch some movies and hang out and do Day of Silence, but I think just having it exist as a safe space did a lot of good.

I went to the DC one a couple times when I lived closer. Where I live now just started one last year (which I didn't even know about until recently), so I think I'll go to this year's one if work doesn't conflict.