Page 14 of 550 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114514 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    So heterosexuality isn't private. Why is homosexuality? And the only conclusion I could draw is (sadly) shame.
    Or fear of consequences. I mean, like, it's an "open secret" that Shepard Smith on Fox News is gay. But can you imagine the professional consequences he'd face if he came out publicly? He's a Fox News host! He'd probably lose his show.

Hullo gays, etc.
    I am of the gay as well.

What up, KF. How you livin'?
    Last edited by Fokken; 05-06-2014 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Trouble View Post
    Or fear of consequences. I mean, like, it's an "open secret" that Shepard Smith on Fox News is gay. But can you imagine the professional consequences he'd face if he came out publicly? He's a Fox News host! He'd probably lose his show.
    There's also the physical danger and family-related consequences that comes with coming out, what with the many cases of people getting beaten, raped or killed in hate crimes, or kids and teens getting tossed out into the streets or verbally/physically abused by their parents.
    Last edited by Sprite; 05-06-2014 at 07:25 AM.

Funny thing is, Smith has been outed multiple times including on his own show. But the network essentially strong armed him into not making any public statement. Why he's so dedicated to them is beyond my ken.

https://www.americarisingpac.org/dem..._content=arpac

Democrat Scott Peters Posts Article Calling Openly Gay Opponent “Mary”

And he is continuing to do it on twitter and trying to Justify his actions

https://twitter.com/Timodc/status/463710093515976704

Speaking of Pride, what are your festivities like in your cities? Here in Savannah, we eschewed the parade in favor of a festival zone. We hold the event in our largest Downtown park. Drag Queens, bands, and Go-Go Boys entertain the crowd. Games and vending tents are available. It's a party atmosphere without the marching!

And how about former drag queen "Miss Lola Sinclair" running on a GOP ballot in the South?

Also, a quick Spider-Man poll: which girlfriend do you prefer, Gwen or Mary-Jane? No, you can't say "Felicia", since we all know she's fabulous!

*Mona Sinclair*

He's not against equal rights for gay people, he just thinks religious people shouldn't have their rights taken away by queers infringing on the definition of marriage!

Quote Originally Posted by thespianphryne View Post
    *Mona Sinclair*

He's not against equal rights for gay people, he just thinks religious people shouldn't have their rights taken away by queers infringing on the definition of marriage!
    Poor, put-upon Christians! We're practically throwing 'em to the lions these days!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tangent Man View Post
    Speaking of Pride, what are your festivities like in your cities? Here in Savannah, we eschewed the parade in favor of a festival zone. We hold the event in our largest Downtown park. Drag Queens, bands, and Go-Go Boys entertain the crowd. Games and vending tents are available. It's a party atmosphere without the marching!

Also, a quick Spider-Man poll: which girlfriend do you prefer, Gwen or Mary-Jane? No, you can't say "Felicia", since we all know she's fabulous!
    Toronto has a main parade as well as a couple of smaller ones, there's a street party (vendors, stages, beer gardens, etc.) in the gay village for the weekend, and various events in venues across the city. You can check out what they have planned this year.

I like Gwen....pre-Osborn pregnancy.
    Last edited by anon_me; 05-06-2014 at 01:44 PM.

I didn't realize this wasn't typically the case until I saw NYC's pride, but Chicago's parade doesn't happen downtown. To be fair, our downtown isn't really where people go to have fun on the weekends/etc either. Instead, it happens on the strip of Boystown, our gayborhood. In the days leading up to pride many of the local businesses sell all kinds of pride related merch, and there's a mini street festival with vendors and music at the end of the street. During pride itself, the parade passes through all of the bars first, then through all of the retail areas. Local clubs hand out jello shots etc. There are a zillion after parties and events at the local bars.

definitely no room for tents or games during the parade - it gets hugely and densely packed, to a really unhappy extent. Lots of police around the edges too. It is closer than shoulder to shoulder. always a protest group somewhere down the road.

The parade itself was definitely more "sexy" than NYC's. While the political and support groups are there, the biggest events in the parade are floats manned by the different local bars - all manned by near-nude dancing go-go boys galore. Of course, we have lots of Queens too. Dikes on Bikes & the roller derbies often make an appearance as well. Sometimes local adult shops and things like that will get a float too. I've been told that it is WAY more of a party atmosphere than other Prides. While you're not supposed to drink on the street here, it's not really policed at pride, and people are kinda wild.

I don't know too much about the local scene in my state, but we do get Pride and other festivals and walks, mostly in Miami or Orlando.

And how about former drag queen "Miss Lola Sinclair" running on a GOP ballot in the South?

I'll reiterate what anon_me said: Toronto Pride is huge, tons of vendors, events all over the city all week, and any time I've gone it's been really hot so there's water guns everywhere. I don't have much to compare it to but I'll also say it's really well organized (even if it shuts down a big chunk of downtown) and family-friendly, and draws a lot of tourists. A lot of variety in floats/groups in the march too, not just businesses or clubs but ethinic groups, community centres, support groups, big celebrity turnout etc. WorldPride is gonna be nuts.

If "other: Chat" isn't applicable, I'd have to go with Gwen.
    Last edited by Max Aero; 05-06-2014 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    There's also the physical danger and family-related consequences that comes with coming out, what with the many cases of people getting beaten, raped or killed in hate crimes, or kids and teens getting tossed out into the streets or verbally/physically abused by their parents.
    Oh, that's very true. I interpreted the question as being about why celebrities don't come out, though, who I think are not so likely to get physically attacked.

As far as I know there doesn't seem to be any Pride Parades in any of cities in my area, not sure why. I have heard that the LGBTQ group at a local university does hold rallies every so often.

BANNED

Oh, that's very true. I interpreted the question as being about why celebrities don't come out, though, who I think are not so likely to get physically attacked.
    For them it has everything to do with marketability and branding. An openly gay actor won't have the same pull on an audience as a closeted actor. How many openly gay actors are there out there? How many of them are leading roles? How many of them saw their career lose steam after coming out?