Page 20 of 550 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120520 ... LastLast

Mixed race here, and bi. My mother is Eurasian, my father is Afro-Caribbean with a touch of Indian (South Asian).
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Mistress of Cookies ShamanatDawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Quixotic View Post
    Well thanks. I'm actually thinking of changing my name to Dawn one day.
    Good choice (I chose that as my middle name 6 years ago).

Mistress of Cookies ShamanatDawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    A good night for celebrating LGBT; and a lot of booing to Russia for their anti-gay laws. Britain's "Children of the Universe" was criminally under-voted for (damn politics!); and it needed more shirtless men (it is Eurovision, after all )

Austria wins Eurovision Song Contest
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27358560

Austrian drag act Conchita Wurst has been crowned the winner of the 59th annual Eurovision Song Contest held in Denmark's capital, Copenhagen. The singer, whose real name is Tom Neuwirth, won with the song Rise Like a Phoenix, collecting 290 points. It is the first time Austria has won the contest since 1966, and only the second time the country has competed in the final in the past 10 years as it either did not participate or qualify.

Wurst had been the second favourite to win behind Sweden going in to the competition, with many predicting the act could be too divisive among voters. However she was the clear winner, with her victory announced after 34 of the 37 countries had submitted their scores.

Collecting her trophy on stage the singer said: "This night is dedicated to everyone who believes in a future of peace and freedom. You know who you are - we are unity and we are unstoppable." Speaking backstage later, Wurst said she felt Europe had taken a stand by voting her the winner.

"I dream of a world where we don't have to talk about unnecessary things like sexuality, who you love. I felt like tonight Europe showed that we are a community of respect and tolerance," she said.

that's cool (i suppose)... I have a friend on FB who has been posting pics of himself with a wig and lipstick... it feels like he is poking fun, and now a bunch of his buddies are doing it as well... it makes me sick. Am I over reacting?

Gay marriage is now legal in Idaho

Hi I'm straight!

Thumbs up

More LGBT hatred spewing from Russian politicians

'End of Europe'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27404406

In his spare time, Communist MP Valery Rashkin likes climbing mountains. Back in the USSR he was a champion alpinist. Today, though, Mr Rashkin faces an uphill battle of a different kind: to liberate Russia from the Eurovision Song Contest. "I watched the results of last Saturday's Eurovision with deep pain," Valery tells me. "Giving first place to a bearded lady is a slight on humanity and suicide!"

The bearded lady in question is Austrian drag queen Conchita Wurst. At the Eurovision final in Copenhagen, Conchita triumphed with 'Rise Like a Phoenix'. In the corridors of Russian power, though, she sank like a lead balloon. Russian officials have cited her as an example of Europe's moral decay. Minutes after the result was announced, nationalist MP Vladimir Zhirinovsky ranted to Russian TV viewers: "This is the end of Europe. It's rotted away. There are no more men and women. There is just 'It'!"

If Valery Rashkin has his way, this will be the end of Russia's participation in Eurovision. He has submitted an official request with the government to pull his country out of the contest and create an alternative competition called 'The Voice of Eurasia'. Mr Rashkin claims that "dozens" of Russian MPs back his initiative.

"I'm convinced that all sensible people, who love children and their motherland, will support this idea," he assures me. "The new contest will promote completely different values. Certainly not the values of transsexuals, lesbians and homosexuals."

One of the Duma's most devout anti-Eurovision deputies is Oleg Nilov. In parliament this week, Mr Nilov claimed that "dark forces" had prevented Russia's entry, the 17-year-old Tolmachevy twins, from winning. "They didn't like our girls because they had braids, not beards," he alleged, then promptly burst into song, with an impromptu performance of the Russian folk tune "Black Crow".

[MORE IN LINK]

Fans of Conchita Wurst sported beards to show their support, such as these women watching Eurovision in Vienna

BANNED

Valery tells me. "Giving first place to a bearded lady is a slight on humanity and suicide!"
    Bold statement from a guy with a girl's name.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    First time posting here. I'm questioning, though leaning towards bisexual.
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaBatmanFanGuy View Post
    Hi I'm straight!
    Welcome to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ShamanatDawn View Post
    that's cool (i suppose)... I have a friend on FB who has been posting pics of himself with a wig and lipstick... it feels like he is poking fun, and now a bunch of his buddies are doing it as well... it makes me sick. Am I over reacting?
    No. If they made a joke about it at the time, fine. But the time and effort they are going to for this "joke" says a lot about them, in my opinion; it says it's so hilarious "having a laugh" at it that it's worth putting that much effort in. Delete them as friends, they aren't worth it.

Much like some Russians on facebook, twitter (even Russian celebrities) who are shaving their beards in protest

Quote Originally Posted by pro View Post
    Bold statement from a guy with a girl's name.
    HA! That made me laugh, though (because it's Russia) I'm sure it translates to something different (the way Alexey - which sounds girlish, translates to Alex)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikekerr3 View Post
    Gay marriage is now legal in Idaho
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-14-2014 at 08:33 AM.

No. If they made a joke about it at the time, fine. But the time and effort they are going to for this "joke" says a lot about them, in my opinion; it says it's so hilarious "having a laugh" at it that it's worth putting that much effort in. Delete them as friends, they aren't worth it.
    Do you really think Conchita Wurst didn't expect some laughs? Drag Queens are some tough bitches! LOL (said with love) They have thick skins and many kick ass--often literally! Don't assume they're fragile flowers just because they wear dresses!

Now, if the friends in question are clearly just bashing Wurst...then carry on...

Much like some Russians on facebook, twitter (even Russian celebrities) who are shaving their beards in protest

Macho overcompensation at its most cringe-inducing. Ugh.

Kieran, you win today's Internet!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangent Man View Post
    Do you really think Conchita Wurst didn't expect some laughs? Drag Queens are some tough bitches! LOL (said with love) They have thick skins and many kick ass--often literally! Don't assume they're fragile flowers just because they wear dresses!

Now, if the friends in question are clearly just bashing Wurst...then carry on...
    Oh, Conchita can take it; my thoughts were purely aimed at the guys who put that much time and devotion in "just having a little bit of fun." A joke told in the spur of the moment can be (and often is) harmless (even if maybe a little poorly times). But dressing up to take photos that are then uploaded is more effort than 'just a joke' (in my opinion).

Macho overcompensation at its most cringe-inducing. Ugh.
    Agreed. SMH

Kieran, you win today's Internet!

Which brings me onto a new question for the thread...

QUESTION: what are you three favourite films with LGBT themes or characters as a significant part of the story?

QUESTION: what are you three favourite films with LGBT themes or characters as a significant part of the story?
    Mysterious Skin
    Transamerica
    The Velvet Goldmine

easy:

"Priscilla: Queen of the Desert"
    My favorite film about accepting who you are, warts and all, and how "family" is who you choose to be a part of.

"Longtime Companion"
    Still makes me cry every damn time I see it, and one of the few films I own on VHS that I still watch in that format.
    The final scene?. . . damn. . absolute joy and profound sadness at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=PrrRtJXkJDw

and "Torch Song Trilogy"
    Which I was a fan of from the off Broadway play, written and starring the incredibly talented Harvey Fierstein.

although honestly, any Amodovar film could be a close runner up
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

So hard! Mostly, because I can't figure out if Fake is a "film" or not, and what counts as "themes." Is the gender stuff in His Girl Friday theme-y? The casting of a woman in a male role, the Hawksian woman, all that? Does Cary Grant just make movies queer by being all Cary Grant all the time? (Also: Do I like Lost Boys that much? Do I love Pink Flamingos more than Hedwig or De-Lovely, or just differently? Do I love Therese and Isabelle or just the memory of it?) Why must I choooooooose!

Oh, yeah. Nobody's making me. You just asked an open question.

Right now: Imagine Me and You, Adolescence Apocalypse, and Wild Zero.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

But I do have a gay uncle, cousin, and aunt

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaBatmanFanGuy View Post
    But I do have a gay uncle, cousin, and aunt
    I was about to ask! LOL

Nice to a little "PFLAG" representation!