Page 201 of 550 FirstFirst ... 101151191197198199200201202203204205211251301 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,015 of 8245

In better news our gay president just RULES when it comes to fighting the good fight!

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    What did you expect when voting Tory?
    Everyone's gotta learn sometime xD
    I'm still gonna vote Tory, babes!
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

BUT, did you see the other appointment, where he put someone in as Justice Secretary who said pedophiles in Westminster shouldn't be investigated or prosecuted.

These are the kind of decisions this government is proudly making. VOTE TORY.

Speaking of Obama, everyone is hailing Chuka Ummuna as a the British Obama, which is a bit odd.

Speaking of Obama, everyone is hailing Chuka Ummuna as a the British Obama, which is a bit odd.
    Agreed; I'm not sure what to think of that. Is it as superficial as "hmmmm, he's not super white #Obama everyone"????
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Agreed; I'm not sure what to think of that. Is it as superficial as "hmmmm, he's not super white #Obama everyone"????
    I really like Chuka, he's well spoken, he's a barrister, he kills it on question time whenever he is on it.

He'd be a great leader of the Labour party and a good Prime Minister next term, but jumping from 0 to Obama is a bit much.

He'd be a great leader of the Labour party and a good Prime Minister next term, but jumping from 0 to Obama is a bit much.
    Frankly he couldn't be worse than Ed Miliband; so at-least he's an upgrade. I really haven't heard much about him (which is weird, cos I lived near Streatham). I'm looking at the upcoming contenders; someone was saying one the contenders for the Lib Dem title voted against gay marriage. That can't be right? Surely all the serious LibDem's all voted yes???

Frankly he couldn't be worse than Ed Miliband; so at-least he's an upgrade. I really haven't heard much about him (which is weird, cos I lived near Streatham). I'm looking at the upcoming contenders; someone was saying one the contenders for the Lib Dem title voted against gay marriage. That can't be right? Surely all the serious LibDem's all voted yes???
    Well considering the Tories history, all of them should have voted against gay marriage (50%, still though) I guess every party has a mixed bag, some just significantly less than others.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Okay, I happily voted Tory, I support the parties policies on many things, but this pissed me off! I don't care what someone said 15 years ago about gay rights, because we all know society has come leaps and bounds in those 15 years. But in 2013 she said: "the state has no right to redefine its meaning of marriage and that preventing same-sex couples from being allowed to marry takes nothing away from their relationship.” COME ON. She is obviously not qualified for this job, since she doesn't actually understand what equality means. That said, happy to see more female MPs in cabinet roles. So swings/roundabouts.

David Cameron appoints anti-gay marriage MP to be minister for equalities
    http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/05/12...or-equalities/
    I actually agree with her to be honest. I dont think the state has the right to meddle in the affairs of the Church, but then equally feel the Church shouldn't be allowed to call itself a charity.

You can support equality without having to support every single piece of something, especially when it's faith related and even more so when you're fighting for a seat in an area where UKIP came second, you have a very high Catholic population and a high older population. You say what'll get you elected. I know this because of my own family. My grandparents are religious. They support me and accept that I am gay and have never treated me any differently to what they did before they knew, however I know that my nan doesnt support gay marriage in a church because of her beliefs about God. She doesnt let that get in the way of her acceptance of me, or anyone else, but she feels it is at odds with the taught lessons of her faith for gay marriage to take place in a Church. She happily supported civil partnerships, and the idea of extending the rights of marriage to civil partners, she just didnt feel the term, which is a religious term, should be applied. Too much is being made of the idea that Dinenage said that she didnt support marriage, making it sound like she is homphobic, when actually, if you read her original statement: http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/loc...ages-1-4752446 she makes a quite valid point that you can't go forcing someone with one set of beliefs in to believing something else, as long as those in opposition are not actually being hateful about it. She is actually trying very hard in her original statement to make it sound like she wants to support both gay right and religious rights. Kind of what you want from an equalities minister really, trying to be equal to all rather than just the bits that effect you personally.

I am surprised that you seem incredulous about this Kieran, you posted supporting the Pope talking about equality in the very broadest sense, but then get at this woman for her faith based ideals. Posts are slightly at odds with each other.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    I actually agree with her to be honest. I dont think the state has the right to meddle in the affairs of the Church, but then equally feel the Church shouldn't be allowed to call itself a charity.
    The church doesn't define marriage, marriage hasn't been a religious exercise for A LOT of years. The majority of marriages are done as commitment to each other, not as a commitment to jesus or whatever.

The government should be able to meddle in the church's affairs as long as the church isn't paying taxes, which none of them are.

The church doesn't define marriage, marriage hasn't been a religious exercise for A LOT of years. The majority of marriages are done as commitment to each other, not as a commitment to jesus or whatever.
    To you, to me too. Now go and ask the question about marriage to those over 50 and almost unanimously, God will get a mention.

And that is the majority of people in Dinenage's seat.

Well, considering the Church of England is owned by the state and was created by the state, I would disagree.

You can support equality without having to support every single piece of something, especially when it's faith related and even more so when you're fighting for a seat in an area where UKIP came second, you have a very high Catholic population and a high older population. You say what'll get you elected. I know this because of my own family. My grandparents are religious. They support me and accept that I am gay and have never treated me any differently to what they did before they knew, however I know that my nan doesnt support gay marriage in a church because of her beliefs about God. She doesnt let that get in the way of her acceptance of me, or anyone else, but she feels it is at odds with the taught lessons of her faith for gay marriage to take place in a Church. She happily supported civil partnerships, and the idea of extending the rights of marriage to civil partners, she just didnt feel the term, which is a religious term, should be applied.
    And that's 100% fine. But your nan isn't being put in-charge of equality issues. If she was, it would be less okay for her to think that way.

Too much is being made of the idea that Dinenage said that she didnt support marriage, making it sound like she is homphobic, when actually, if you read her original statement: http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/loc...ages-1-4752446 she makes a quite valid point that you can't go forcing someone with one set of beliefs in to believing something else, as long as those in opposition are not actually being hateful about it. She is actually trying very hard in her original statement to make it sound like she wants to support both gay right and religious rights. Kind of what you want from an equalities minister really, trying to be equal to all rather than just the bits that effect you personally.
    I don't agree with someone labelling her homophobic; and you make a valid point.

I am surprised that you seem incredulous about this Kieran, you posted supporting the Pope talking about equality in the very broadest sense, but then get at this woman for her faith based ideals. Posts are slightly at odds with each other.
    Again, not the same. I'm happy to see the Pope making progressive statements for gay rights. That is HUGE!!! And especially considering he's going against the vast majority of his senior officials, that is worthy of praise. But I wouldn't support the Pope being put in charge as Minister of Equality either. If she was being made the Transport Secretary, I wouldn't care what way she voted on gay marriage. But Equality minister is... well, it's important that you are at-least with the tide of equality, if not ahead of it (and she was behind it).

To you, to me too. Now go and ask the question about marriage to those over 50 and almost unanimously, God will get a mention.

And that is the majority of people in Dinenage's seat.
    Exactly. Laws should be about keeping the country with the times, not reliving the glory days when you could lynch black people and gays and have a good old laugh about it.

Exactly. Laws should be about keeping the country with the times, not reliving the glory days when you could lynch black people and gays and have a good old laugh about it.
    Nobody wants to lynch gays or blacks, please go and read her interview where she makes her original statement and indicates that she she is trying to find a balance.

Equality should not be about equality at the expense of another group just because the formally persecuted now get more recognition.

That isn't equality, that is just persecution flip. You always have to find a balance, and for me, Dinenage actually tries/tried (as the interview was in 2013) to do that.

I don't think any of the policies are doing that

Nobody wants to lynch gays or blacks, please go and read her interview where she makes her original statement and indicates that she she is trying to find a balance.

Equality should not be about equality at the expense of another group just because the formally persecuted now get more recognition.

That isn't equality, that is just persecution flip. You always have to find a balance, and for me, Dinenage actually tries/tried (as the interview was in 2013) to do that.
    Gay marriage doesn't even affect christian marriages, will it devalue or change their marriage to know people of the same sex can also get married? No.

The whole idea that gay marriage encroaches on religion is beyond fucking stupid. If they were this devout then they would have rallied against divorce, or non religious marriages. I was going to interracial marriage as well, but then I remembered they did rally against that. Talk about always being on the wrong side of history.

I don't think any of the policies are doing that
    Lol, the point was we shouldn't be pandering to outdated world views. The over 50s are from a different world to us, and that world isn't relevant anymore.

Lol, the point was we shouldn't be pandering to outdated world views. The over 50s are from a different world to us, and that world isn't relevant anymore.
    But they are still here, and they vote more than the young.

So it remains relevant to those voters, even if not to you.