Page 23 of 550 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373123523 ... LastLast

Always good to see news like this

Oregon same-sex marriage ban struck down
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-27480181

A US judge has struck down the US state of Oregon's ban on same-sex marriages, as couples queued up at the courthouses in anticipation of the ruling. Judge Michael McShane said the 2004 voter-approved ban discriminated against gay and lesbian couples.

Lawyers for the state refused to defend the ban in court and will not appeal. The ruling is the latest in a series of court cases overturning state bans on gay unions, following a ruling by the US Supreme Court in 2013. Last week, more than 540 same-sex couples married in Arkansas before the state's Supreme Court suspended a lower judge's ruling that struck down the ban. Including Oregon, 18 states and the District of Columbia have fully legalised same-sex marriages.

[MORE IN LINK]

Julie Engbloom (left) and Laurie Brown (right) were married in Portland on Monday, the same day as the ruling

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    I'll be drinking strawberry milk in his honor.
    LOVE this idea; I'll do that Thursday too.

Quote Originally Posted by thor View Post
    Hey guys! Figured I should probably post at least once here... I'm pan and constantly on the lookout for excellent comics with lgbtq characters!
    Welcome welcome! What are (currently) your favourite LGBT characters in comics?
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-20-2014 at 07:27 AM.

Kieran, it's too bad the new marriage laws haven't come into effect yet in Idaho, though. But it's cool to see that the U.S. is getting slowly but surely nearer to the halfway mark in number of states.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Cool part to the Oregon ruling - our secretary of state was NOT arguing to keep the ban, but for the judge to declare it unconstitutional. So, unlike most of the other states lately, there will be no stay or appeal. At least not from the state.

Favorite LGBT characters: Katchoo and Francine from Strangers In Paradise. Hands down my faves.
    Also like Batwoman Kate Kane, Karolina from Runaways, recently bought the first Young Avengers series and Billy and Teddy are pretty sweet too.

Edit: Forgot about Renee Montoya.
    Last edited by dahllaz; 05-20-2014 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post

Welcome welcome! What are (currently) your favourite LGBT characters in comics?
    Kate Kane/Batwoman, Renee Montoya, Karolina Dean , Wiccan, and Hulkling

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

YEY to Pennsylvania, boo not yet in Idaho!

Arcade Fire 'We Exist': Andrew Garfield plays trans woman in new video
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...g-9389696.html

Arcade Fire have released a new music video for their song "We Exist", which sees British actor Andrew Garfield dressing in drag as he takes on the role of a young person struggling with their gender identity. The video starts off with The Amazing Spider-Man star looking tearfully into a mirror before shaving off his hair, putting on women’s clothes and make-up and donning a blonde wig. Garfield then goes to a bar and dances with one of the men, which all seems pleasant enough, but there is an underlying tension as to whether the man will realise that his dancing partner is not biologically female.
    [MORE IN LINK]

Quote Originally Posted by dahllaz View Post
    recently bought the first Young Avengers series and Billy and Teddy are pretty sweet too.
    Oh you must, must, MUST buy Kieron Gillen's critically acclaimed Young Avengers. It's incredible; one of the best rated series of 2013 and won the GLAAD award for comics!

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-23-2014 at 10:11 AM.

Question Loki: Agent of Asgard

Who here is buying Marvel's only LGBT solo series (and second ever LGBT on-going solo series) Loki: Agent of Asgard???

BANNED

out of sheer curiousity...what are the sales numbers on Young Avengers?

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    They weren't great, but nor were they terrible (esp. for a series like that with an LGBT lead and no "A-list" characters). Gillen was offered more issues, but he turned it down (i.e. the series ended, it wasn't cancelled). Held steady roughly around 30,000-25,000 sales, I think?
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-23-2014 at 10:36 AM.

BANNED

hmm interesting

Loki is the third LBGT character to have his own on-going.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Loki is the third LBGT character to have his own on-going.
    Whose the third? (do you mean Mystique?)

Wink

Who here is buying Marvel's only LGBT solo series (and second ever LGBT on-going solo series) Loki: Agent of Asgard???
    I am! It is so fun, and it's one of my current favorite Marvel books.

YEY to Pennsylvania, boo not yet in Idaho!

Arcade Fire 'We Exist': Andrew Garfield plays trans woman in new video
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...g-9389696.html

Arcade Fire have released a new music video for their song "We Exist", which sees British actor Andrew Garfield dressing in drag as he takes on the role of a young person struggling with their gender identity. The video starts off with The Amazing Spider-Man star looking tearfully into a mirror before shaving off his hair, putting on women’s clothes and make-up and donning a blonde wig. Garfield then goes to a bar and dances with one of the men, which all seems pleasant enough, but there is an underlying tension as to whether the man will realise that his dancing partner is not biologically female.
    [MORE IN LINK]

I'm usually adverse to cis actors and actresses playing transgender characters, but that was pretty cool of Andrew Garfield. Kudos to him.
    Last edited by Sprite; 05-24-2014 at 01:35 AM.

Mystique, Daken, and Loki. Four if you want to count Hercules but that's a difficult one to decide.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

I hadn't thought about it, with art like that I may have to at least get the first issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    As I recall, it sold better than Avengers Arena even though that had all the buzz.
    The last two issues sold as well or better than some Marvel Knights, FF and X-Men Legacy.