Page 236 of 550 FirstFirst ... 136186226232233234235236237238239240246286336 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,540 of 8245
    Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lycaon pictus View Post
    I knew the Stonewall movie would be white, but I didn't think it would be that white. It's actually egregious enough that I probably won't see it.
    It reminds me too much of how some people were mad that LBJ wasn't the main character of Selma, or that weirdly-progressive Brad Pitt Mary Sue in 12 Years A Slave, or the Shyamalan Avatar movie, or The Help, or...
    Yeah, over in the minority thread they talk about how so many movies about POC are made to make sure white people still feel good about themselves. After Selma dared criticize LBJ, they're gonna make a movie claiming LBJ and MLK's relationship was so great.

Quote Originally Posted by Supernature View Post
    It's not a biopic.

They made the transwomen of color who started the movement background characters to tell the FICTIONAL story of another conventional looking white gay male coming to terms with his sexuality.

Like we haven't seen this a thousand times already.
    I feel like the Stonewall movie is a 1999 mindset telling a story in 2015. Seriously, there's LGBTQIA+ of color out there now. We're past a place of using the pretty ones as our foot in the door. "Will and Grace" was fine for what it was and when it was but we're beyond that now. Laverne Cox is an Emmy nominee.

Hopefully that "Happy Birthday Marsha" does well
    http://www.happybirthdaymarsha.com/

Also there already was a movie titled Stonewall in 1995
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonewall_(1995_film)

When I say nothing surprises me anymore, I mean nothing surprises me anymore.
    But, if there's something good to come out of it (and that's a very small list), it's that it inspires me to learn more about the actual Stonewall, and not this whitewashed (even though the creators have said the actual people of color play a "big part" *cough* as background characters, most likely) movie. Typical Hollywood. [Assuming this is a Hollywood film]

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Bethany Black has been cast in Doctor Who!
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

Spectacular Member Lycaon pictus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Time Like Lightning View Post
    LP HI IT'S SO GREAT TO SEE U AGAIN
    Oh, I was waiting on you at the door

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    No lgbtiq person is well represented but I get that white gay men are better represented than other sections of the population.

That said, I at least want to see what the movie is like before I complain about it
    I was referring to the movie, specifically.

22. Sagittarius. Time Like Lightning's Avatar

LP I don't think you've been here since Sense8 started being a thing so I gotta ask, have u watched it?

BTW SENSE8 GOT A SEASON 2!!!!!!
    Last edited by Time Like Lightning; 08-08-2015 at 01:53 PM.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.
    The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."

He/him/his pronouns.

Uh, of course I've watched Sense8! That show is amazing and I've been spreading the gospel since like episode 3.
    Did you ever start Penny Dreadful? S2 just ended, and it got renewed for S3.
    And I see you've been reading WicDiv. Me too! (I think you're the who recommended it to me?)
    Have you seen Steven Universe?

I NEED TO WATCH PENNY DREADFUL I STILL HAVE NOT YET #shame #imsosorry

Probably, I've been talking that book up so much I'm sure everyone's sick of me BUT I DO NOT CARE. > Have you gotten Issue #13 yet?

Not yet for Steven Universe, although everything I've seen about it on Tumblr makes it look wonderful. I know about the Ruby/Sapphire relationship, which is brilliant and I'm ecstatic about it.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

He/him/his pronouns.

What do you reckon the rules are for lgbtiq dating when it comes to dating people of a different age? Do you reckon it's ok for a 28 year old to date a 22 year old for example or is it a bit sleazy?

Of course if it's right it's right and age is not a problem if it works (as long as they're over 18 of course)

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

What do you reckon the rules are for lgbtiq dating when it comes to dating people of a different age? Do you reckon it's ok for a 28 year old to date a 22 year old for example or is it a bit sleazy?

Of course if it's right it's right and age is not a problem if it works (as long as they're over 18 of course)
    My ex was 21, I was 29. The rules for me are half your age, plus 7 is the youngest acceptable. I was just inside that!

I dont think it really counts as sleazy unless the age gap is in the upper double digits.

Like Stephen Fry and his husband or Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black, I am happy they are happy, but 20-30 years different.....sleazy (though sadly for Fry it looks super sleazy there because they look so different, DLB at least looks a lot younger than he is)
    Last edited by legion_quest; 08-08-2015 at 05:34 PM.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by Time Like Lightning View Post
    I NEED TO WATCH PENNY DREADFUL I STILL HAVE NOT YET #shame #imsosorry

Probably, I've been talking that book up so much I'm sure everyone's sick of me BUT I DO NOT CARE. > Have you gotten Issue #13 yet?

Not yet for Steven Universe, although everything I've seen about it on Tumblr makes it look wonderful. I know about the Ruby/Sapphire relationship, which is brilliant and I'm ecstatic about it.
    Tsk tsk.

I haven't gotten to issue 13. I got both trades, so I've read through Issue #11 I think. I have some thoughts, but I forgot how to do spoiler tags here. Help!
    Oh, and have you seen How to Get Away with Murder?
    Last edited by Lycaon pictus; 08-08-2015 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycaon pictus View Post
    Tsk tsk.

I haven't gotten to issue 13. I got both trades, so I've read through Issue #11 I think. I have some thoughts, but I forgot how to do spoiler tags here. Help!
    Oh, and have you seen How to Get Away with Murder?
    Waiting for HtGAwM to be on Netflix-- hopefully it will be soon. After all, the DVD just came out and both the other Shonda Rhimes shows are available on Netflix Streaming...

For spoilers you write out SPOIL (but w/ brackets around it, like [ S P O I L ] ) but without the spaces, and /SPOIL after it, also with brackets. So spoilers:
    like this.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    My ex was 21, I was 29. The rules for me are half your age, plus 7 is the youngest acceptable. I was just inside that!
    I was just on the opposite end of this-- 20 years old dating a 29 year old.

While I wouldn't say, Silvermoth, that "sleaziness" is a big factor with age differences like that (more than a couple years but still with all parties involved adults and of legal age), I WOULD just kinda... warn you that there still is a potential for what I'd call an imbalance. Like, there were times where I definitely FELT the difference in our ages-- I could FEEL how much more mature he was than me, how much more put together his life was than mine. And that makes me wonder if he could feel it, too-- if he noticed/felt my comparative immaturity, lack of direction, etc.

It was a good relationship with a great person, don't get me wrong. And the feelings I'm describing might just be my particular situation. But still, something to keep an eye on.
    Last edited by Time Like Lightning; 08-08-2015 at 09:24 PM.

He/him/his pronouns.

Thanks old chum.

So about WicDiv
    spoilers:
    the second trade goes to #11, when Ananke kills Laura. First I need to say that I nearly died when they introduced Inanna. I was sooo happy they modeled him off Prince. Like, I wasn't even thinking "I wonder what this character looks like?" The possibility that he would be modeled after one of my favorite musicians was not even on my radar. And then I was like OMG. It was totally unexpected, and also not a surprise at all.
    Honestly, you could rub Prince on anything and I would love it immediately.

Halfway through, I figured the story was setting up Laura to be the new Ananke. She was getting super friendly with the whole Pantheon, and already lived for them, and wanted to be one of them so badly. It seemed like a great fit. So the whole, "You're Persephone!" thing threw me for a loop. Like, what would Persephone even represent to modern humanity anyway? I thought it was her mother who was responsible for seasons changing. Does Persephone even do a damn thing?
    But then she was killed almost immediately after...so...?
    My new theory is Ananke is sick of her job, and this is all an elaborate plan to get out of being Immortal God Caretaker. Because why else in the world would she tell Baphomet that he could kill someone and get their remaining time? She must have figured he would be stupid enough to go after someone literally right after she told him. In front of everyone.

What else is there...? Oh! I loved Luci. I was digging her whole aesthetic. The story did a good job of getting you invested in the character in a short amount of time. It hurt when she died. And then when she didn't come back.
    If my Prince-insert character is actually dead, I will riot.
    end of spoilers
    I've been asking everyone: Who is your favorite sense8 character?

I only saw a bit of the first episode but I really like the Indian actress and the Mexican soap star.

I just finished watching kill your darling with Daniel Radcliffe and Dane dehaan, it was really good actually! I really liked it. I always love watching lgbtiq films and documentaries. I also watched 'pay it no mind' which was a documentary about Marcia p Johnson who played a massive role in the stonewall riots. That was a fasinating story. If Michael B Jordan wants to repair his career post ff he might want to play that role. Or a transgender actress if possible of course.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Well at 36, both of those don't sound so far off from each other Sleazy is the 40 yearolds trolling for 20 yearolds.

Maturity levels vary but at 22 he might be done with college and have life planned out. I didn't but many others did. In the hetero world it's not uncommon for women of 22 to marry a guy a few years older.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_di...ips#Statistics

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

I think the main thing is stages of life really. If you're dating someone who's 21 it might be an issue if their time is taken up by uni whilst you're in a full time job. But 22 well a lot of people that age are out into the 'real world' so I don't see any issue. I'd say there's somewhat of an issue with e.g. an 18 year old dating a 16 year old just because of maturity difference. I'd say there's an issue with 17 year olds dating 20 year olds because those are two different stages of life where one is relying on parents and school and the other is independence and really confusing textbooks. You could date a 50 year old without it being an issue, well it might be for judgemental passers by but maybe not so in terms of quality of relationship.
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community