Page 24 of 550 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124524 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    I am! It is so fun, and it's one of my current favorite Marvel books.
    Mine too!

"TOP 5" PULL LIST
    1. Loki: Agent of Asgard by Al Ewing [LGBT]
    2. Superior Foes of Spiderman by Nick Spencer
    3. Uncanny X-men by Brian Michael Bendis [LGBT]
    4. X-men by Brian Wood [LGBT]
    5. She Hulk by Charles Soule
    Runner-up: Avengers Undercover by Dennis Hopeless [LGBT]

I'm thrilled that Marvel is doing such a good job with LGBT... at-least in the comics I read. HA!

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    I'm usually adverse to cis actors and actresses playing transgender characters, but that was pretty cool of Andrew Garfield. Kudos to him.
    I don't mind none cis actors playing trans roles (it's acting, after all); I just want to see more trans actors get cast in NON-trans roles (because again... it's acting).

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Mystique, Daken, and Loki. Four if you want to count Hercules but that's a difficult one to decide.
    Someone once told me that Mystique's sexuality is never referenced in her solo comic; I find that hard to believe (it ran for a while), but I haven't read it so I can't comment in that regard. Have you read it?

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    I hadn't thought about it, with art like that I may have to at least get the first issue.
    I must needs entice you then... There are five things I love about the series:
    1) every issue is "one-and-done" BUT is also linked into the overall story arc of the series; that is very clever and not easy to do, kudos Al Ewing
    2) the art is gorgeous [SEE BELOW]
    3) Al Ewing writes an AMAZING Loki. I never thought any successor to Kieron Gillen would capture the joy of Loki so perfectly, but Al Ewing has achieved that. It's such a wonderfully written series.
    4) Loki/Sigurd [SEE: the cover to issue 4 below] are HOT together!!!
    5) Loki/Thor bromance is truly heart warming, and Ewing (like Gillen) makes you adore their brotherly love.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    As I recall, it sold better than Avengers Arena even though that had all the buzz.
    The last two issues sold as well or better than some Marvel Knights, FF and X-Men Legacy.
    Cos I'm lovely/bored at work...

18. Young Avengers 1 -- 71,254
    46. Young Avengers 2 -- 43,559
    59. Young Avengers 3 -- 38,469
    64. Young Avengers 4 -- 34,378
    69. Young Avengers 5 -- 32,159
    70. Young Avengers 6 -- 30,822
    86. Young Avengers 7 -- 28,596
    88. Young Avengers 8 -- 27,844
    74. Young Avengers 9 -- 26,720
    121. Young Avengers 10 -- 25,874
    101. Young Avengers 11 -- 25,754
    92. Young Avengers 12 -- 23,790
    91. Young Avengers 13 -- 23,019
    96. Young Avengers 14 -- 22,692
    103. Young Avengers 15 -- 21,961

TPB
    14 Young Avengers Vol. 1 Style Substance -- 2,637
    24 Young Avengers Vol. 2 Alternative Culture -- 2,216

Of course this isn't including digital, which I assume for Young Avengers is somewhat high. It consistently sold better than Secret Avengers, X-men: Legacy (Legion's), Avengers Arena, Avengers: AI, FF and even Astonishing X-men (Liu) towards the end of it's run. Which is pretty amazing considering it has no A-listers on the roster; nor was tied into any events.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-24-2014 at 02:32 AM.

BANNED

Days of the Future Past was AWESOME!

Quote Originally Posted by End of Time View Post
    Days of the Future Past was AWESOME!
    Agreed.

spoilers:
    Though HOW did Ink make it in and not Anole? Loved Quicksilver in it BUT... that role could have easily been Northstar (and Wolverine knowing him -- Alpha Flight -- makes perfect sense).
    end of spoilers
    Not that Bryan Singer, just because he's gay, has to include LGBT characters, but if any director (and any franchise) would include LGBT characters it would be Singer and the X-verse. Since we can't even get an LGBT characters in the Avengers comics, I doubt we'll see them in the films.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-24-2014 at 04:24 AM.

BANNED

SPOILERS IGNORE THIS IF YOU WANT TO SEE XMOFP

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Agreed. Though HOW did Ink make it in and not Anole? Loved Quicksilver in it BUT... that role could have easily been Northstar (and Wolverine knowing him -- Alpha Flight -- makes perfect sense). Not that Bryan Singer, just because he's gay, has to include LGBT characters, but if any director (and any franchise) would include LGBT characters it would be Singer and the X-verse.

Since we can't even get an LGBT characters in the Avengers comics, I doubt we'll see them in the films.
    Northstar wouldn't make sense. Quicksilver has a connection to Magneto, it's an easter egg that isn't really an easter egg, it's an actual plot point.

The characters are pretty close to each other. Magneto and Xavier have their friendship. Mystique and Beast share a history. Magneto and Mystique share a history. Xavier and Mystique share a history. Everything relates to that trinity between Xavier/Magneto/Mystique.

Northstar has no connection to any of them, so it only makes sense to use Quicksilver.

None of the mutants introduced in this are of any real heavy importance, all the Vietnam muties get shuffled out of sight early on. The future muties get their awesome action moments. They actually need to be unrelated to Magnus/Xavier because they represent the war those two have been fighting, they are for all intents and purposes the "common" mutants who got sweptup in conflicting ideologies.

This movie is about three people. Xavier, Magneto, Mystique... Wolverine is merely a narrative device to link the future to the past and set things in motion, he is just a guide, but no real factor or force.

And Kieran, you have a holy obligation to pummel anyone who labels this movie as "homophobic" into the ground... just like a future sentinel... cuz those things were AWESOME!

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Agreed. spoilers:
    Though HOW did Ink make it in and not Anole? Loved Quicksilver in it BUT... that role could have easily been Northstar (and Wolverine knowing him -- Alpha Flight -- makes perfect sense).
    end of spoilersNot that Bryan Singer, just because he's gay, has to include LGBT characters, but if any director (and any franchise) would include LGBT characters it would be Singer and the X-verse.

Since we can't even get an LGBT characters in the Avengers comics, I doubt we'll see them in the films.
    I get where you're coming from but I think that because Singer has use the gay metaphor throughout the films, especially X2, there already an inclusiveness to the franchise.

spoilers:
    Northstar wouldn't make sense. Quicksilver has a connection to Magneto, it's an easter egg that isn't really an easter egg, it's an actual plot point.

The characters are pretty close to each other. Magneto and Xavier have their friendship. Mystique and Beast share a history. Magneto and Mystique share a history. Xavier and Mystique share a history. Everything relates to that trinity between Xavier/Magneto/Mystique.

Northstar has no connection to any of them, so it only makes sense to use Quicksilver.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I would agree with this IF Magneto was the one to bring in Quicksilver, but it was Wolverine. The connection to Magneto was irrelevant -- outside of a one second joke -- Quicksilver didn't even know who Magneto was or what he did. Wolverine knowing Northstar makes more sense than knowing Quickviler.
    end of spoilers

And Kieran, you have a holy obligation to pummel anyone who labels this movie as "homophobic" into the ground... just like a future sentinel... cuz those things were AWESOME!
    Oh, I will. It's a film by a gay director, with two openly LGBT actors in good roles. Also LOVED the dig at Russia, so brilliant and subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by R.E.B View Post
    I get where you're coming from but I think that because Singer has use the gay metaphor throughout the films, especially X2, there already an inclusiveness to the franchise.
    Agreed. The metaphor is very strong in Singer's films, and I love that. But I still want the X-verse to have the first openly LGBT superhero. Northstar was the first in comics, seems only right if he's the first in films too.

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

Sigh Am dying to read your spoilers but have agreed to wait a week to see DoFP so my sister can come with.

That said it's interesting that all LGBTIQ solo character books (Daken, Mystique and Loki) are all "villains".

And kudos to Andrew Garfield for his Arcade Fire performance - can that guy get any hotter? Emma Stone is one lucky girl

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

I think we all know they used Quicksilver just to do it before Avengers did. Still, I really liked his version.

I kinda wonder if Singer is afraid including a gay character would be seen as "pushing an agenda" so he just stays with metaphor.
    I still hope a Wolverine movie will include Alpha Flight since they are a part of his history.

10409692_10154112259550618_6382381396045354188_n.jpg
    Evan Peters doing a Hardees commercial reminds me of Andy Warhol eating a hamburger
    Last edited by PretenderNX01; 05-24-2014 at 11:47 PM.

BANNED

I don't mind none cis actors playing trans roles (it's acting, after all); I just want to see more trans actors get cast in NON-trans roles (because again... it's acting).
    I wouldn't hold my breath on that one...Hollywood still has a serious diversity problem

Not sure if this has been brought up in the thread. . . (and y'all are all so young, so who knows ). . . but us older queers have a few "ICONS": Cher, Bette Midler, Liza, Cyndi Lauper (classic), and more recently folks like Lady Gaga, and Pink!

but somewhere in that spectrum is Debbie Harry/Blondie.

and the new 40th anniversary double album includes a song that has been co-opted world-wide by Gay/Bi/Trans folks (in particular, the Trans equal rights movement). . tho it's not getting played much in the US that I'm aware of. I expect a bigger push as the album ("Blondie 4(0)-Ever" just came out last week).

anyways, if you haven't heard it, here's the latest song -- for US -- (even if it was originally written for an unborn child, Debbie is on record as loving that it's being picked up for equal rights/equal love).

and it features guest vocals from Beth Ditto (of the Gossip)

"a Rose by any Name"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=U1TKrnUo7yo

(wish we could embed videos here).
    Last edited by bert; 05-25-2014 at 08:51 AM.
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

Not your dad, I swear Ghostwise's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    Not sure if this has been brought up in the thread. . . (and y'all are all so young, so who knows ). . . but us older queers have a few "ICONS": Cher, Bette Midler, Liza, Cyndi Lauper (classic), and more recently folks like Lady Gaga, and Pink!
    You still have time to edit Lynda Carter back into that list before something terrible happens.
    Writeups.org -- huge encyclopaedia of characters, chiefly from super-hero comic books. It's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostwise View Post
    You still have time to edit Lynda Carter back into that list before something terrible happens.
    unless Lynda Carter started recording and retroactively releasing albums?

nope. . she's not the kind of icon (or diva) I was talking about.

(tho easily Mariah, Whitney, and Paula Abdul could be added. . . even tho personally, I'm not a fan of any of these three)
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

Debbie Harry AND Beth Ditto? *happy flails*

Let's continue where we left on the old forum...

Let's be sexy beasts.
    Soon this will be the LGBTQIAPZAVM community?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    unless Lynda Carter started recording and retroactively releasing albums?