Page 26 of 550 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126526 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    This is just a fascinating article; and I would encourage you to read it if you have time. It's long, but it's also very frank and honest, and she doesn't pull her punches or try to make everything seem "idillic."

'X-Men's' Ellen Page on Life After Coming Out, the Bryan Singer Case and Her Battle With Depression
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new..._UFPwOD7R8CAAA

This is a really good interview. I hope her upcoming projects are successful.

BANNED

More than half of my impetus to be published was to bring the joys of Paul Lynd and Agnes Moorehead and Aladdin Sane and Truman Capote as Lionel Twain to comics in general, not limited to "cartoony as graphic novel style" stuff.

About bloody time. I hate those "please, give blood" adverts on national TV. I would give blood, except you have backwards, homophobic, bigoted laws in place that stop me doing it. UGH! Rage!

London conference to discuss UK policy on gay men giving blood
    http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/05/30...-giving-blood/

The UK’s policy on gay and bisexual men donating blood will be up for discussion next month at a conference in London. Campaigners and a range of health experts will be meeting for the day-long event at King’s College London on 12 June.

In 2011, England, Wales and Scotland introduced a one-year deferral for gay and bisexual men who wish to donate blood. A lifetime ban remains in place in Northern Ireland.

The one-year deferral was chosen in part because of Hepatitis B, which disproportionately affects gay and bisexual men. While there is a four-week window between transmission and detection of HIV, Hepatitis B can take up to a year to be cleared by the body.

[MORE IN LINK]

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar87 View Post
    This is a really good interview. I hope her upcoming projects are successful.
    Agreed, fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by TroubleWithTrebles View Post
    More than half of my impetus to be published was to bring the joys of Paul Lynd and Agnes Moorehead and Aladdin Sane and Truman Capote as Lionel Twain to comics in general, not limited to "cartoony as graphic novel style" stuff.
    I didn't know she was a lesbian; awesome. She was the best thing in the Magnificent Ambersons (1942).

About bloody time. I hate those "please, give blood" adverts on national TV. I would give blood, except you have backwards, homophobic, bigoted laws in place that stop me doing it. UGH! Rage!

London conference to discuss UK policy on gay men giving blood
    http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/05/30...-giving-blood/

The UK’s policy on gay and bisexual men donating blood will be up for discussion next month at a conference in London. Campaigners and a range of health experts will be meeting for the day-long event at King’s College London on 12 June.

In 2011, England, Wales and Scotland introduced a one-year deferral for gay and bisexual men who wish to donate blood. A lifetime ban remains in place in Northern Ireland.

The one-year deferral was chosen in part because of Hepatitis B, which disproportionately affects gay and bisexual men. While there is a four-week window between transmission and detection of HIV, Hepatitis B can take up to a year to be cleared by the body.

[MORE IN LINK]

Even before I knew I was queer and knew better, I knew that gay men being barred from giving blood was a load. I'm more than sure that donated blood and equipment gets tested before anything gets done, so it was really little more than discrimination.

I'd probably donate blood if I wasn't underweight.
    At first, when people who worked in the blood trucks ignored, I thought it was because they thought I was diseased.

Not your dad, I swear Ghostwise's Avatar

This is just a fascinating article; and I would encourage you to read it if you have time.
    I had to stop at the bit with the celebs rag arsehat making up rumours about her and dissing her publicist. I'm already in a bad mood, no need to make it worse.
    Writeups.org -- huge encyclopaedia of characters, chiefly from super-hero comic books. It's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    Even before I knew I was queer and knew better, I knew that gay men being barred from giving blood was a load. I'm more than sure that donated blood and equipment gets tested before anything gets done, so it was really little more than discrimination.
    Exactly. I'm honestly shocked a) how many DON'T know this happens, I've yet to meet someone who knew this happens b) that in the UK, a place that is actually very pro-LGBT, that this still goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostwise View Post
    I had to stop at the bit with the celebs rag arsehat making up rumours about her and dissing her publicist. I'm already in a bad mood, no need to make it worse.
    But what makes her amazing is she came through that, she didn't let such horribleness hold her down. So while it's enraging, it made her strong, and THAT'S inspiring.

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

In South Africa, gay men were prevented from donating blood as well. This month the rules were amended:

http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/201...onating-blood:

"In the past, gay men were seen as being at high risk of being infected with HIV and could only donate blood to SANBS if they had been celibate for six months or longer, says Mamba Online.

The policy made in 2006 was widely criticised as discriminatory, unfairly targeting gay men while allowing heterosexual people who engaged in equally risky or casual sex to donate.

Vanessa Raju, SANBS Communications Manager, confirmed to Mamba Online that the non-discriminatory policy had been put in place that favours people in monogamous relationships, regardless of sexuality.

She said that anyone who has a new sexual partner will not be allowed to donate blood for six months, and that anyone who has multiple partners will not be allowed to donate blood.

Both criteria are irrespective of a person’s sexual orientation.

South Africa has one of the highest rates of HIV in the world, and according the the report, the epidemic in is a primarily heterosexual one."

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

Just got back from seeing a very haunting French Film at the Gay and Lesbian Film Festival "Stranger by the Lake" (aka L'inconnu du lac) which apparently had been well received at Cannes Film Festival last year - it was beautifully filmed thriller about a guy that goes cruising daily at a lake, with lots of explicit sex and a hot lead star Pierre Deladonchamps.

I came back thinking about how passion and love are so easily misinterpreted by many of us LGBTIQ or not.

Exactly. I'm honestly shocked a) how many DON'T know this happens, I've yet to meet someone who knew this happens b) that in the UK, a place that is actually very pro-LGBT, that this still goes on.
    It's saddening, and it only adds to the overwhelming amount of ignorance that we have to work through.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderlad View Post
    South Africa has one of the highest rates of HIV in the world, and according the the report, the epidemic in is a primarily heterosexual one."
    And to think, people will continue to tell you how HIV and other viruses are "gay diseases".

In South Africa, gay men were prevented from donating blood as well. This month the rules were amended:

http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/201...onating-blood:

"In the past, gay men were seen as being at high risk of being infected with HIV and could only donate blood to SANBS if they had been celibate for six months or longer, says Mamba Online.

The policy made in 2006 was widely criticised as discriminatory, unfairly targeting gay men while allowing heterosexual people who engaged in equally risky or casual sex to donate.

Vanessa Raju, SANBS Communications Manager, confirmed to Mamba Online that the non-discriminatory policy had been put in place that favours people in monogamous relationships, regardless of sexuality.

She said that anyone who has a new sexual partner will not be allowed to donate blood for six months, and that anyone who has multiple partners will not be allowed to donate blood.

Both criteria are irrespective of a person’s sexual orientation.

This is good to hear One step forward, AND from a country that has had gay marriage long before the UK.

I came back thinking about how passion and love are so easily misinterpreted by many of us LGBTIQ or not.
    One of the things I loved most about Brokeback Mountain (2005) was Ang Lee specifically making it about love, not sex. He showed them having sex once to make it clear "yes, they do" but he then only ever showed the romance. Too many LGBT films (in my opinion) use sex as evidence of "love".

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    And to think, people will continue to tell you how HIV and other viruses are "gay diseases".
    THIS! For years (honestly, nearly a decade) all data shows more straight people are becoming newly infected than LGBT.

Yay! Just discovered this thread!

Bi mexican guy here!

Fav LGBT+ cb characters are Miss America, Batwoman, Rictor, Karolina, Victoria Hand and I'm still holding my hopes for Anya to come out!

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/o...month-us310514

Obama has made June the official LGBT Pride mouth in the US! Happy first day of the first official pride month!
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post

Obama has made June the official LGBT Pride mouth in the US! Happy first day of the first official pride month!
    Well, Pride Month fell right on my birth month. Lucky me.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    Yay! Just discovered this thread!
    Bi mexican guy here!
    Welcome to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    Fav LGBT+ cb characters are Miss America, Batwoman, Rictor, Karolina, Victoria Hand and I'm still holding my hopes for Anya to come out!
    Here's a link to the Marvel LGBT Characters thread: http://community.comicbookresources....s-Appreciation; poor Rictor desperately needs your support (he has no votes yet, it's just criminal). And HELLS YES Anya should come out!

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post

Obama really has become the LGBT President. He's done more for the gay community than any other President, living or dead. A VERY good legacy to leave the country.