Page 30 of 550 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130530 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post

Any bi people in the thread got any thoughts on that specific (possible) inevitability???
    Whoever I end up with is who I end up with. There's nothing to be sad about if I'm happy with the person, male or female. Of course I'm going to have urges, but it's no different from a straight dude wanting to mess with more than one woman, etc. Regardless of who I end up with, I know I'm still going to have my attraction to both sexes, so I'll continue to be the definition of bisexual even if I don't get to fully explore it.

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    two of the former contestants, whom are both Transexual, went on record (in a couple of interviews) on how they were disappointed that Ru was still using Transexuality for humor. It was based off of one particular challenge (and I can't recall off the top of my head which one, but I didn't find it offensive at the time (again. . grain of salt, as I noted).

anyways, the show has gone back and dropped "you've got She-Mail" in each episode, and is making a very PC effort not to offend anyone now.
    here's a link to Ru's statement (and story):
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5374897.html
    Ah, thank-you for this. In terms of the use of "tranny" and "she-mail"... I'd say RuPaul is well within his right to use the word because, as he says, he's part of the transsexual community. Also, it is a show called "RuPaul's Drag Race", people should expect it to be tongue-in-cheek. Much like with Modern Family, a few have been offended by what they feel are "stereotypes" BUT I forgive the show, because that is the point. It plays with the stereotypes, that's where the humour comes from. They do it just as much about straight white men, so there is no harm in doing it for any other group.

But it's an interesting discussion; I did like this response.

Maron then noted that the trans community is offended by the term, to which Ru responded:

RU PAUL: No, it is not the transsexual community. These are fringe people who are looking for story lines to strengthen their identity as victims. That is what we’re dealing with. It’s not the trans community, because most people who are trans have been through hell and high water and they know -- they've looked behind the curtain at Oz and went, 'Oh, this is all a f**king joke. But, some people haven't... You know, if your idea of happiness has to do with someone else changing what they say, what they do, you are in for a f**king hard-ass road.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I like weddings. I like the idea of marriage. I'm a pretty domestic guy. But, if I marry a man, I'm still not waking up gay. If I marry a woman, it won't somehow straighten me out. Because, for me, it's not about who I'm having sex with more often or exclusively, but attraction. Not public, loud attraction. It's not like they come take your bi card away because you haven't had sex with the right kind of person this week. Just, attraction.
    Quote Originally Posted by pro View Post
    For me it's more like:
    If I'm not in love with someone specific I like men and women about 50% equal.
    If I am in love then I tend to be more interested in the gender of that person. Not exclusively but more so.
    I don't really feel there is a loss there any more than it is for someone who is either gay or straight.
    Everyone can have fantasies outside of those about their partner. That's common for straights and gays as much as for a bi person.
    You don't stop finding other men or women attractive just because you're with someone.
    But for a bi person those fantasies and attractions can be about men or women.
    Doesn't mean you necessarily act on them. You can be bi and be happy with one partner.
    It's not really that different than it is for straights or gays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Whoever I end up with is who I end up with. There's nothing to be sad about if I'm happy with the person, male or female. Of course I'm going to have urges, but it's no different from a straight dude wanting to mess with more than one woman, etc. Regardless of who I end up with, I know I'm still going to have my attraction to both sexes, so I'll continue to be the definition of bisexual even if I don't get to fully explore it.
    Thank-you all for your responses, this are very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    On another front, I notice there's another flap over Dan Savage and a loud defense of all things Dan Savage from another quarter, and I have to ask: Why is it for some (so many?), Savage is beyond reproach? He can say what he likes on race, culture, sexuality, gender and no one, especially not those actually in the categories he's speculating on (or making mandates for, that of course, he has no power to make happen) seem permitted to disagree or call him out, without a sort of wave of "How dare you Dan Savage has done so much and he's a gay white man stop oppressing our active gay white men and being so sensitive!"
    Quote Originally Posted by R.E.B View Post
    I feel that Dan Savage is a lethargic, misogynist, bi-phobic, trans-phobic dinosaur from 90's era who only cares about what affects gay men in a position of privilege. I learned a long time ago not to take anything he says at face value. All of this "It gets better" and his new interest and concerns for other minorities are just illusions that dont erase everything that he has said before. From blaming the black church community for the prop 8 disaster to telling teenagers not to come out as Bisexual as teens because no one will believe them. There are numerous examples of him being quite venomous and this latest thing is no surprise. The only entertaining thing about his podcast is listening to how all the callers hang on his every word.
    I've never really know much about Dan Savage (his name isn't big in the UK). Though (from wiki_ his "it gets better" campaign sounds good.

I didn't even know there was a "Gay Day" at Disneyland???

Disney World's 'Gay Days' Slammed By Religious Right Activist Janet Porter
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...ef=mostpopular

Walt Disney World's "Gay Days" tradition has come under fire from religious right activist Janet Porter. As Right Wing Watch first reported, Porter slammed Disney World for the unofficial event, and called upon members of her group, Faith 2 Action, to spread the word. She also suggested families "re-think" their forthcoming visits to the Orlando-based resort.

“The homosexual agenda is planning to once again descend upon Disney World in Orlando, Fla. to expose your children to far more than Mickey Mouse and Space Mountain," Porter said, before adding that "cross-dressing men will be among those parading public displays of perversion" at the theme parks.

[MORE IN LINK]

BANNED

Personal sharing time...

I think I officially have a boyfriend...

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R.E.B View Post
    I feel that Dan Savage is a lethargic, misogynist, bi-phobic, trans-phobic dinosaur from 90's era who only cares about what affects gay men in a position of privilege. I learned a long time ago not to take anything he says at face value. All of this "It gets better" and his new interest and concerns for other minorities are just illusions that dont erase everything that he has said before. From blaming the black church community for the prop 8 disaster to telling teenagers not to come out as Bisexual as teens because no one will believe them. There are numerous examples of him being quite venomous and this latest thing is no surprise. The only entertaining thing about his podcast is listening to how all the callers hang on his every word.
    Can't stand that guy. He's very arrogant and defended the War on Terror. Apparently homonationalism is A-OK to liberals like him.

As for Ru Paul, when you defend a drag queen who thinks blackface is funny (Shirley Q. Liquor) and a good way to honor a dead friend, I don't know what to think of you. I've never watched Drag Race (don't do reality TV much) and I'm not trans* so I don't think it's my place to judge whether that word should be used by anyone but what I've heard is that it's a slur. Not a PC person myself, but I think there's a difference between not being hateful and sugar coating your words so that torture becomes extraordinary rendition and bosses become job creators.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Also, how did any of you deal with being yourselves in a dysfunctional family?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Can't stand that guy. He's very arrogant and defended the War on Terror. Apparently homonationalism is A-OK to liberals like him.

As for Ru Paul, when you defend a drag queen who thinks blackface is funny (Shirley Q. Liquor) and a good way to honor a dead friend, I don't know what to think of you. I've never watched Drag Race (don't do reality TV much) and I'm not trans* so I don't think it's my place to judge whether that word should be used by anyone but what I've heard is that it's a slur. Not a PC person myself, but I think there's a difference between not being hateful and sugar coating your words so that torture becomes extraordinary rendition and bosses become job creators.
    RuPaul earned his credentials, he's an icon in the gay community. When Ru talks... we should listen. A black gay drag-queen who lived through the initial AIDS crisis... seriously, that guy has earned his right to have a say. He's learned the hard way to grow a thicker skin, and he has always used a tongue-in-cheek type of comedy to relate and compensate, but also normalize.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I didn't even know there was a "Gay Day" at Disneyland???
    it's not "Officially" a Disney Promotion. . but they are OK with it and even hosted circuit parties on Pleasure Island in the Florida Complex (we went back in 2002, I think it was).

it's a Gay weekend, really, with each day color coded to each park (if I recall, EPCOT is yellow). . but the big day is at Magic Kingdom (DisneyWorld), and the color for that day is Red.

there is nothing quite like seeing the Country Bear Jamboree with an audience full of big ol bears singing along to EVERY line

, and going apeshit when Teddi drops from the ceiling on her swing.

A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

Quote Originally Posted by End of Time View Post
    Personal sharing time...

good for you.

but if you "think". . you really SHOULD clarify.

(particularly if you expect him to be monogamous).

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

RuPaul earned his credentials, he's an icon in the gay community. When Ru talks... we should listen. A black gay drag-queen who lived through the initial AIDS crisis... seriously, that guy has earned his right to have a say. He's learned the hard way to grow a thicker skin, and he has always used a tongue-in-cheek type of comedy to relate and compensate, but also normalize.
    co-signed.

and the show isn't really a "reality" show. (yes, his other show sorta is. . "Drag U"). . but Drag Race is a comedy show, that DELIGHTFULLY skewers "gay" conventions, and is absolutely hysterical.

in particular with what he gets away with getting on TV!

most memorable challenge?. . they had to kneel behind a wooden board, with holes cut out in it. . and put their lips thru the hole and lip synch!

hysterical.

BANNED

good for you.

but if you "think". . you really SHOULD clarify.

(particularly if you expect him to be monogamous).
    this goes for any relationship, you have to establish if you are exclusive or not

my girlfriend and I are open, but needs the other persons OK before banging someone else

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Personal sharing time...

Make sure. But even if it's unofficial, have fun.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Agreed.

This image made my day, thank-you! Is it wierd that is made me think of the opening segment with Mick Jagger in Bent (1997)???

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 06-08-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    you're linking to an older story (from Thursday).

it passed overwhelmingly, with no discussion, yesterday.

part of the official Texas GOP Platform.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/08/us/texas-gop-gay-therapy/

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireS...-gays-24042487
    Last edited by bert; 06-08-2014 at 12:44 PM.