Page 32 of 550 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132532 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    My boyfriend has been watching it and loves it, I NEED to get the first few episodes with LoveFilm and try it.
    It's a pretty fun show

I also like Taryn Manning in there, and patti mayonnaise is in jail
    Brad Pitt for Grifter in a WildCATS movie

So I've now finished Season 4 of Game of Thrones...

[SPOILERS ONLY for up-to-end of S4 - NO BOOK SPOILERS!!!]
    spoilers:
    and I love the show... but LGBT characters don't fare too well in it. Renly Baratheon and the Red Viper are gone (also the female prostitute of Little Finger). We only have Loras Tyrell and the male prostitute left... and with Cersei now ruler of House Lannister... watch out Loras. Or am I being dense and forgetting someone huge?
    end of spoilers

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 06-17-2014 at 02:56 AM.

So I've now finished Season 4 of Game of Thrones...

[SPOILERS ONLY for up-to-end of S4 - NO BOOK SPOILERS!!!]
    spoilers:
    and I love the show... but LGBT characters don't fare too well in it. Renly Baratheon and the Red Viper are gone (also the female prostitute of Little Finger). We only have Loras Tyrell and the male prostitute left... and with Cersei now ruler of House Lannister... watch out Loras. Or am I being dense and forgetting someone huge?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    There's also Ellaria Sand. Considering we'll be seeing Dorne next season we'll probably see her again.
    end of spoilers

Lady Olenna is cool. She's one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar87 View Post
    spoilers:
    There's also Ellaria Sand. Considering we'll be seeing Dorne next season we'll probably see her again.
    end of spoilers
    Oh good point, I forgot her. She's awesome. She did a great job in Luther (though as an unlikeable character most of the time).

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar87 View Post
    Lady Olenna is cool. She's one of my favorites.
    Dame Diana Rigg is AMAZING as the Queen of Thorns. Agreed, one of my favourite characters, hope she's back next season to cause problems for Cersi.

Royal Ballet dancers boycott Russia trip
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27885696

The UK's Royal Ballet is beginning a series of performances at the Bolshoi Theatre in Moscow later. But it will do so without two dancers who have boycotted the trip in protest at Russia's anti-gay laws. The company will stage six performances in its first Moscow visit since 2003. A Royal Ballet statement said: "Out of the 96-strong dancers in The Royal Ballet, just two dancers have chosen not to go on tour to Moscow for political reasons."

The dancers' boycott comes after Sir Ian McKellen said he was advised "not to go to Russia" by the Foreign Office because of the homosexuality laws last year.

[MORE IN LINK]

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    So uh watching orange is the new black, and i felt sad watching the flashback episode for Samira Wiley's character Poussey. Like she's one of the funnier characters but yo anyone else dig her?
    I've grown a crush on her since seeing her focused episode. Heh.

She was definitely a stand out this season. But Vee, played by Lorraine Toussaint, takes the cake this season.

Just checking everyone here has voted for your favourite LGBT Marvel Character
    http://community.comicbookresources....s-Appreciation

If you are a fan of Rictor, the poor boy has ZERO votes right now

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Discussing, briefly, the gay Batman thing here on CBR with some of my elementary-aged students, they invented a gay chimp Batman, then a nice little world for him, including a boyfriend named Batboyfriend. They make forts together out of furniture and Alfred brings them juice when Batman isn't fighting robot Joker or fighting Green Lantern. As it should be.

I feel this is roughly as important to their education as the -er/est suffixes they were scheduled to learn.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Discussing, briefly, the gay Batman thing here on CBR with some of my elementary-aged students, they invented a gay chimp Batman, then a nice little world for him, including a boyfriend named Batboyfriend. They make forts together out of furniture and Alfred brings them juice when Batman isn't fighting robot Joker or fighting Green Lantern. As it should be.

I feel this is roughly as important to their education as the -er/est suffixes they were scheduled to learn.
    That sounds very adorable... but what is the "gay Batman thing"? I don't follow DC, so I don't know of any reveals. Is Batman gay???

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

That sounds very adorable... but what is the "gay Batman thing"? I don't follow DC, so I don't know of any reveals. Is Batman gay???
    Someone on the CBR Batman forum asked if Batman would be better if he were gay. There's been some debate, some jokes, some tense moments. Penguins and Schumacher have been mentioned.

Grant Morrison did a whole gay-subtext/atmosphere thing in an interview, sometime back, that kinda conflates homosocial and homosexual. Frank Miller infamously suggested Batman would be healthier if he was gay than he is if he's sexually repressed or in lust-disgust with Catwoman, the borderline she-proves-my-misogyny/he-proves-men-are-inflexible-thug-bosses thing.
    Last edited by t hedge coke; 06-18-2014 at 08:42 AM.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Someone on the CBR Batman forum asked if Batman would be better if he were gay. There's been some debate, some jokes, some tense moments. Penguins and Schumacher have been mentioned.

Grant Morrison did a whole gay-subtext/atmosphere thing in an interview, sometime back, that kinda conflates homosocial and homosexual. Frank Miller infamously suggested Batman would be healthier if he was gay than he is if he's sexually repressed or in lust-disgust with Catwoman, the borderline she-proves-my-misogyny/he-proves-men-are-inflexible-thug-bosses thing.
    I took a look at the thread... then slowly backed out. Yeah, I've seen those same arguements before (most recently complaining about Prodigy). It's amazing how many people think everyone who is LGBT a) never had any relationships with the opposite sex b) cannot possibly have shown interest in the opposite sex if they were LGBT c) a kiss is cannon as "forever straight." I look forward to the day we don't have quite so much ignorance about sexuality.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    Not sure if anyone else has seen this list but I'll post it anyway: http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2014/06/t...62hG8.facebook

What do you all think? Are there any people here that live in those cities? If so, would you say that the list is accurate.

I live near Miami, so I wasn't too shocked when I noticed we weren't on the list. (Miami isn't listed on a lot of things )

I guess it helps that I'm planning on moving to LA (which is number one on that list. SPOILER!) by the end of this year.
    I don't live in Chattanooga but I go up there several times a year for conventions. Now downtown Chattanooga has a free electric bus system that runs along two routes to take people from the hotels to the restaurant row, the aquarium, the library and convention center, etc. Which means you have lots of cosplaying teens and young people mixing with staid old Southerners on the busses. And they have been totally cool with that - they routinely ask the kids what they are doing, and smile and say that looks like fun.

Now, a couple years ago a couple of the cosplaying teens are two boys in FF 7 costumes, who get on the bus holding hands. One old coot starts in about how that just ain't right and how things have gone downhill. I'm sitting across from old coot, so I can hear the bus driver when she leans back and tells the old man that if he can't keep his mouth shut that he can get out and walk or call a cab, 'cause she wasn't going to hear any such nonsense on her bus.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ebon View Post
    she leans back and tells the old man that if he can't keep his mouth shut that he can get out and walk or call a cab, 'cause she wasn't going to hear any such nonsense on her bus.
    That's always nice when you hear a random person defending LGBT people.

Joe Phillips is going to be signing and selling prints at comic cons this summer:

He's also got a female pinup style calendar coming out

BANNED

Joe doing female pin-ups? What has this world come to?

In other news, my town honored Wuppertal native Helene Stöcker, an early LGBT, pacifism and feminism pioneer, with a statue.

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    So uh watching orange is the new black, and i felt sad watching the flashback episode for Samira Wiley's character Poussey. Like she's one of the funnier characters but yo anyone else dig her?
    Poussey is the best character on the show.