Page 343 of 550 FirstFirst ... 243293333339340341342343344345346347353393443 ... LastLast
Results 5,131 to 5,145 of 8245

EDIT - never mind, I've been corrected
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-07-2016 at 07:26 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Was anyone in this thread using that term? I couldn't find it. You should edit your first post from "please don't" to "I hope people don't." That would make it clear its starting a discussion rather than false accusation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    GLAAD suggested Disney add characters to Star Wars that are LGBT and all the breeders ran screaming
    So, "please don't" is appropriate, if aimed at that. That's clearly not a between-friends, jokey use or one meant as derogatory towards a subset who "deserve it."
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Absolutely agree. And, thank you for stepping forward to say.
    Thank you. Thank you for directly addressing me in reply as well. I think it's important for everyone to be aware of the words they use.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    As I explained, it's something that I say with friends as part of a joke. My best friend is a straight guy, he'll call me a fag or a big gay, and I'll call him a breeder, it's just us being relaxed and cool with each other. I would never just randomly call somebody it, be they a woman or anyone else.

Get off your high horse and read what I typed, rather than what you thought I typed. I asked if it was bad, because my friends and I use it as a joke, it was other posters who then took it forward and defended it.
    Imo, he's not on his high horse.
    He's calling things on how he sees them, directly in this thread, and he's pointing out how horribly offensive the word "breeder" is to some.
    And, honestly, it IS offensive.
    As I said above, we all need to be more aware of what we are saying. Especially online.
    People need to take responsibility for the words they use. And if they say something offensive, or use a word incorrectly, they should own that.

I don't think men can easily see how offensive the word "breeder" is.
    We live in a patriarchal society where misogyny and sexism have the strongest grip.
    These "characteristics" run so deep in our society, and they are so inherent, practically innate, that we don't even recognize how damaging they are, and how they drag people down.

I am pretty sure when/if any of you used the term "breeder" you did not go out with the intent of being hateful about women. But if someone called me a breeder, I'd have to probably bite my tongue not to snap on that person.
    It is a term that devalues women. I am speaking from a female perspective, as I am not male, and I do not identify that way.

To borrow something I said to a friend yesterday:
    When we make jokes about misogyny, it only serves to further perpetuate misogyny.
    Same with racist jokes and jokes about sexuality.

The jokes are not funny. They're disrespectful, demeaning, and diminishing. And they're never really okay.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

But it's all about context. In the context of how I talk to my friends, I can say what I want. I wouldn't just randomly call someone a breeder or anything else for that matter, nor would my friend be homophobic to anyone else, we just rip on each other because that's what friends do. No one was being hateful. Context is key.

t hedge coke specifically called me out over it, which I have taken offence to, because I find it completely irrational to a) tell me how I can and can't speak to my friends and b) because t hedge uses the word queer all the time, despite my constant comments that I cannot stand that word and find it offensive, yet I have never called anyone out personally for using it, and have always accepted the context that it was used in and the regional differences.

Why is it that we can point fingers at one person for one thing, yet completely ignore it the other way round?
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

So, "please don't" is appropriate, if aimed at that. That's clearly not a between-friends, jokey use or one meant as derogatory towards a subset who "deserve it."
    Ahhhhhh, perfect. Apologies; I stand corrected
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

legion_quest, I'm not telling you how you can talk with your friends. I am saying you're still using an ugly word between you and your friend, for laughs. Apparently more than one. I don't care if they're racial epithets or ones rooted in sexuality, how you two talk amongst you is your business, but it's as open to criticism as anything.

And, you do make a point about "queer," quite often, so please don't pretend you don't.

I'm sorry if you feel you can dole out criticism to others but no one should be able to criticize you or your choices, but that's how life works. We agree, often, on a lot of things. On some things, particularly it seems, appropriate language, we disagree. And, neither one of us has been a stranger about voicing that.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

22. Sagittarius. Time Like Lightning's Avatar

Here's the thing about words used, historically and/or presently, against a specific group of people: that group gets to 1) decide how/if they want to use, or not use it, both personally and within their community, and debate that within the group with members they disagree with, and 2) decide whether or not they want people not within the group to use the word.

We all have our own views, for instance, on "queer," and because we're LGBT+, we get to debate that, decide how we want to use it ourselves, and have the authority to tell cisgender and heterosexual people whether or not we think it's okay for them to use the word.

Now, to Cold Water's comments:

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    I am pretty sure when/if any of you used the term "breeder" you did not go out with the intent of being hateful about women. But if someone called me a breeder, I'd have to probably bite my tongue not to snap on that person.
    It is a term that devalues women. I am speaking from a female perspective, as I am not male, and I do not identify that way.

To borrow something I said to a friend yesterday:
    When we make jokes about misogyny, it only serves to further perpetuate misogyny.
    Same with racist jokes and jokes about sexuality.

The jokes are not funny. They're disrespectful, demeaning, and diminishing. And they're never really okay.
    Even if "breeder" is not intended to be specifically against women, it's still a term used by some to describe straight people, which includes straight women. Cold Water is a woman, telling us-- many of whom are not women, including myself-- not to use the term. So I can't speak for all of you, but I personally will not ever use it having heard her opinions on this.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.
    The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."

He/him/his pronouns.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Like Lightning View Post
    Here's the thing about words used, historically and/or presently, against a specific group of people: that group gets to 1) decide how/if they want to use, or not use it, both personally and within their community, and debate that within the group with members they disagree with, and 2) decide whether or not they want people not within the group to use the word.

We all have our own views, for instance, on "queer," and because we're LGBT+, we get to debate that, decide how we want to use it ourselves, and have the authority to tell cisgender and heterosexual people whether or not we think it's okay for them to use the word.

Now, to Cold Water's comments:

Even if "breeder" is not intended to be specifically against women, it's still a term used by some to describe straight people, which includes straight women. Cold Water is a woman, telling us-- many of whom are not women, including myself-- not to use the term. So I can't speak for all of you, but I personally will not ever use it having heard her opinions on this.
    Thank you. Thank you acknowledging my post, replying, for your consideration and respect, and for reading/listening to what I said.
    I am grateful.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    But it's all about context. In the context of how I talk to my friends, I can say what I want. I wouldn't just randomly call someone a breeder or anything else for that matter, nor would my friend be homophobic to anyone else, we just rip on each other because that's what friends do. No one was being hateful. Context is key.
    Agreed, context is key; the "in joke lingo" between friends is totally different, and judged on a different criteria than dialogue with different people or in different environments. But I think we can all agree in the context of THIS thread, both queer and breeder shouldn't be used. Agreed?

I don't think it should be used, yes. Although I do enjoy being uppity towards straight people.

Anyway it's a shame London spy didn't win any baftas. I'm still really looking forward to that

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0b49df6a8970c

If you don't know what something means, look it up in the dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post

Which, reminds me that for all the screw ups and mess China is currently going through with gay rights and whether gay teens should be kissing in internet tv shows, it is really nice to live in a country that acknowledges transgender, transsexual, and intersex in both a more casual and more legally structured way than many. Plus, my ID gives me an easier way to "prove" intersex than answering invasive physiological questions. I can just point to the sex listed. "See? Yo."

That "keep asking what?" "then ask why" at the link cracks me up too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post

Ugh. Hate that that term "genderqueer."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Ugh. Hate that that term "genderqueer."
    Out of curiosity, what would you rather?

Out of curiosity, what would you rather?
    Does it matter; anything without the word "queer" in it would suit me just fine.