Page 37 of 550 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137537 ... LastLast
    BANNED

"African Americans are more homophobic/heterobiased than other races".
    Is there factual information available about this? I've heard it before but is there research supporting/denying this?

BANNED

Visibility in the places that some think that we dont belong is crucial to ending these stigmas.
    I agree with this so hard

I remember back when Prop 8 was being voted on there were protests in West Hollywood and basically areas that were "friendly territory"

after the vote went through and the data came out that large numbers of blacks and latinos supported 8, there was a panel discussion on MSNBC (I think) about that bit of data and the question was asked "why not go into black and latino communities to discuss this and inform people?"

the answer: They would have thrown us out

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Quixotic View Post
    Huh, didn't know we had one of these. Maybe I'll have to spend more time here now.
    Neither did I. I will have to stop by here regularly myself.

BANNED

after the vote went through and the data came out that large numbers of blacks and latinos supported 8, there was a panel discussion on MSNBC (I think) about that bit of data and the question was asked "why not go into black and latino communities to discuss this and inform people?"

the answer: They would have thrown us out
    The article posted made it sound like it is predominantly a problem caused by white gays but is part of the problem then also that there is less of a drive for black and latino gays to unite in gay prides for fear of reprisals from their own communities?

BANNED

most definitely...black churches in Los Angeles were practically demanding their congregations support Prop 8 or risk damnation

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    most definitely...black churches in Los Angeles were practically demanding their congregations support Prop 8 or risk damnation
    At least one black church in Santa Barbara did oust members. But... there were plenty of white and hispanic churches pushing that just a hard, and the Mormon Church was pouring the money in on Prop 8 like nobody's business.

Speaking of SoCal, more than once, I've heard people joke about how white Pride is in Ventura County is just because the Salsa Festival is the latin Pride celebration.

That's not 100% accurate, naturally, but nonwhite participants seem to cluster more, during Pride, and a lot more stopping by shake some hands gotta go before my pastor sees, in my anecdotal perception.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Incredible Member

A couple of small clarifications:

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    - Jason Collins. First openly gay sportsman to play in one of North America's four major professional leagues.
    In the US, the word "sportsman" is used for men who hunt and/or fish. Jason Collins would be described as an "athlete".

Quote Originally Posted by R.E.B View Post
    Johnny Mathis-Country Singer
    He has sung a few songs from the Country genre, but he's best known for crooning romantic ballads in the American "standards" tradition. And I'm not sure why you put him in the History category - he's still alive and performing at age 78.

I'm very glad that you posted about him; I didn't know he was gay, and I also didn't know that he was an outstanding athlete as a youth and actually passed up a chance to be on the Olympic team in 1956 to go to New York and record his first album. He and Bill Russell were the best high-jumpers in high school in San Francisco in the mid-50s; Russell went on to stardom in basketball.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

UPDATED LIST!!!
    Thank-you to everyone for helping with this. It's so important we don't make the same mistakes others do in the LGBT community, ignoring our brothers and sisters

CURRENT
    - Jason Collins. First openly gay sportsman to play in one of North America's four major professional leagues.
    - Don Lemon. CNN news anchor
    - RuPaul. Arguably THE most famous and successful drag queen in the world.
    - Pedro Almodóvar. Oscar winning latino director; who's films include Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (1988), Talk To Her (2002), Bad Education (2004) and Volver (2006)
    - Lee Daniels. Openly gay director, one of only a handful of black directors to be nominated for the Oscar for Best Director. Directed such critical and commerical hits as Monster's Ball (2001), Precious (2009) and the Butler (2013)
    - Joe Phillips. Famous gay mainstream comic artist.
    - Pres. Barack Obama. Dubbed "the first gay president" for his incredible support and fighting for gay rights.
    - Anthony Woods. Veteran of Iraq, he was honourably discharged in 2008 for violating "Don't Ask, Don't Tell". Ran for Congress hoping to become the first openly gay black male in Congress. Now works for non-profit organisations and made a "White House Fellow" in 2011.
    - Janet Mock, transgender author of Redefining Realness
    - Laverne Cox, transgender actress and main cast member in the hit series Orange is the New Black
    - Michael Sam-1st openly gay man drafted to NFL team.
    - Andre Leon Talley-Fashion Editor
    - Dan Choi-Army Officer/Activist Against "Dont Ask, Dont Tell"
    - Britney Griener-Professional Basketball Player (WNBA)
    - Josh Dixon-Olympic Gymnast
    - Frank Ocean-Singer
    - Phil Jimenez-Comic Book Artist
    - Orlando Cruz-Boxer
    - Guillermo Diaz-Actor
    - John Amechi-Fomer NBA player
    - B.D. Wong-Actor
    - Ricky Martin-Singer
    - George Takei-Actor/Activist
    - Paris Barclay-TV Director/Head Of Director's Guild Of America
    - Bil T. Jones-Choreographer
    - Billy Porter-Broadway Legend
    - Johnny Mathis. Music legends, crooner and country singer.

PAST
    - Justin Fashua. He was the first black £1 million football player, and the first to be openly gay too. Sadly he committed suicide in 1998, after his career nose-dived once he had come out.
    - James Baldwin. Famous Civil Rights advocate and writer (author of Go Tell It On the Mountain), also openly gay and important gay activist.
    - Bayard Rustin. Civil Rights Hero
    - Little Richard. Rock N' Roll Originator
    - Sylvester. Disco Legend
    - Alice Walker. Writer
    - Alvin Aiely. Choreographer/School Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    Just saw this. Thank you both!

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    Due to some of his actions towards Transgendered people (don't worry, they were microaggression, nothing severe) as well as his overall respectability politics, Don Lemon may be a notable POC LGBT, but I don't think he's very helpful. Lee Daniels is even worse.
    Sadly who is important, and who is "the best" arne't always the same thing. Justin Fashua is most definitely deserving of including in a list of important POC LGBT in history (he was accused of sexually assaulting a 17 year old). Lee Daniels is the most famous (and successful) black LGBT director (and the only (???) black LGBT director to be nominated for Best Director at the Oscars -- that's huge, and very important in terms of milestones in LGBT history).

Quote Originally Posted by thespianphryne View Post
    When Talley says that marriage equality is a red-herring, I don't agree with him, but I do see his point. Because street safety and police response is more of an issue for us than anything else. It's hard to get worked up about family and property law when the basic human right of safety in my own self is a chancy thing. I see flamboyant young black and latino kids get picked up or hassled by the police in the Village all the time. White kids same clothes: pass. All the lovely rich gays in the west village (mostly white) with their 2 million dollar 800 sq foot apartment who resent the hell out of the "ghetto" kids who hang out and reduce their property values, they form little community groups with the NYPD and have those kids hassled out of there. Who does that serve?

Is Aaron Talley wrong about some things? Hell yes. The gay rights movement doesn't get where it is today without activists who weren't white. In fact if he wants to argue that gay rights is separate from black rights, Huey Newton himself would be happy to tell him he's wrong. And of course, not all states show a predominantly Euro/Anglo face in the activist movement. And as the the riotous craziness of Queens Pride could show anyone, queer pride isn't actually a white thing. But at the same time we can't deny that there is a strong tendency for it to be that way, because the overall structure of society is that way. And experiencing racism/essentialism in a community that's supposed to be welcoming hurts more and generates more feeling because people who already suffer discrimination should be more mindful. As you said: real issue, real consequences. I think the dude is allowed to be mad about it. Because in the experience he's had, there's been no place for him at the table.

My big problem with what he says comes more from his conservatism around sexual flamboyancy and permissiveness. The way he paints flamboyance and sexual openness as a problem that needs to be hidden away because it's not consonant with whatever bourgeois notion of respectability he has. Which ironically lands him right in the wavelength of the Log Cabin Republicans, who historically dont have a great track record with racial minorities.
    i dont disagree with anything the writer says. As a black guy I get some looks when I meet my friends at the Stonewall or Boots and Saddles, like I do when I go into a comic book store not Midtown Comics, or when I say I am Bisexual. Trust me, I know exactly where he comes from the unfamiliar really messes with the mind. I wasnt looking a reasonable article, looking at the title...you're pretty much entering a shootout when you click on something like this. My point is that this makes somewhat of an assumption that there arent white gay men & women who care about these issues. Its few and far between but blanket statements like this equal to things like "All Black people are homophobic because of the black church."

There are white gay men that love them some NeNe Leakes, Tamar Braxton, and Wendy Williams... that be wouldnt be caught dead touching a black guy. Is the white early-mid 20's Str8 acting fit white man the ideal image standard of the LGBT in media? Of course but isolation wont solve that problem. Visibility in the places that some think that we dont belong is crucial to ending these stigmas. There are crappy guys around, yeah that goes without saying but...its so many of the younger generation that are so dumb and unaware of the world around them and the history behind them, that they think that being gay is a non stop orgy. It has kind of become a gay gatekeeper sort of thing, and this is the question, how can a oppressed group become so oppressing?
    Both of these responses are so awesome, and so eloquently put forth. Kudos!

And its cool that you kiss in public...more of that needs to be done.
    My boyfriend won't kiss in public (hell, he doesn't even like kissing in out back-yard). It's amazing (even in a pretty accepting country like Great Britain) how instances make others wary of just being themselves

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    At least one black church in Santa Barbara did oust members. But... there were plenty of white and hispanic churches pushing that just a hard, and the Mormon Church was pouring the money in on Prop 8 like nobody's business..
    The "issue" (as far as I understand) ISN'T that magically the black church community somehow was the sole reason Prop 8 was passed (that's absurd, the burden, as with so much, is due to straight, white men). The "issue" is on the same ballot, in the same booth, at the same time 95% of the black community in California voted to elect the first ever black President... hoping beyond hope that society has changed, that people can look past minority status and vote for the best person for the job (regardless of race)... at the very same moment, a lot ACTIVELY voted to suppress another minorities rights. And that's the problem. The predominantly white Morman church males has straight privilege, male privilege, white privilege... they don't know what it means to be oppressed, they don't know what it is like to be treated as "less than." The black community in California does, and to then do that to someone else... that's why it made news (far more than the white Mormans). If that makes sense?

BANNED

So were the very white churches.

Matter of fact, when you do the statistics properly and eliminate Religiousness (is that a word) as a fact, there was no difference between white people and black people on support for Prop 8.

“Party identification, age, religiosity and political view had much bigger effects than race, gender or having gay and lesbian family and friends,”
    http://www.salon.com/2009/01/09/race_prop8/
    Last edited by the4thpip; 06-27-2014 at 07:29 AM.

UPDATED LIST!!!
    Thank-you to everyone for helping with this. It's so important we don't make the same mistakes others do in the LGBT community, ignoring our brothers and sisters

CURRENT
    - Don Lemon. CNN news anchor
    - RuPaul. Arguably THE most famous and successful drag queen in the world.
    - Pedro Almodóvar. Oscar winning latino director; who's films include Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (1988), Talk To Her (2002), Bad Education (2004) and Volver (2006)
    - Lee Daniels. Openly gay director, one of only a handful of black directors to be nominated for the Oscar for Best Director. Directed such critical and commerical hits as Monster's Ball (2001), Precious (2009) and the Butler (2013)
    - Joe Phillips. Famous gay mainstream comic artist.
    - Pres. Barack Obama. Dubbed "the first gay president" for his incredible support and fighting for gay rights.
    - Anthony Woods. Veteran of Iraq, he was honourably discharged in 2008 for violating "Don't Ask, Don't Tell". Ran for Congress hoping to become the first openly gay black male in Congress. Now works for non-profit organisations and made a "White House Fellow" in 2011.
    - Janet Mock, transgender author of Redefining Realness
    - Laverne Cox, transgender actress and main cast member in the hit series Orange is the New Black
    - Michael Sam-1st openly gay man drafted to NFL team.
    - Andre Leon Talley-Fashion Editor
    - Dan Choi-Army Officer/Activist Against "Dont Ask, Dont Tell"
    - Britney Griener-Professional Basketball Player (WNBA)
    - Josh Dixon-Olympic Gymnast
    - Frank Ocean-Singer
    - Phil Jimenez-Comic Book Artist
    - Orlando Cruz-Boxer
    - Guillermo Diaz-Actor
    - John Amechi-Fomer NBA player
    - B.D. Wong-Actor
    - Ricky Martin-Singer
    - George Takei-Actor/Activist
    - Paris Barclay-TV Director/Head Of Director's Guild Of America
    - Bil T. Jones-Choreographer
    - Billy Porter-Broadway Legend
    - Johnny Mathis. Music legends, crooner and country singer.

PAST
    - Justin Fashua. He was the first black £1 million football player, and the first to be openly gay too. Sadly he committed suicide in 1998, after his career nose-dived once he had come out.
    - James Baldwin. Famous Civil Rights advocate and writer (author of Go Tell It On the Mountain), also openly gay and important gay activist.
    - Bayard Rustin. Civil Rights Hero
    - Little Richard. Rock N' Roll Originator
    - Sylvester. Disco Legend
    - Alice Walker. Writer
    - Alvin Aiely. Choreographer/School Founder

Sadly who is important, and who is "the best" arne't always the same thing. Justin Fashua is most definitely deserving of including in a list of important POC LGBT in history (he was accused of sexually assaulting a 17 year old). Lee Daniels is the most famous (and successful) black LGBT director (and the only (???) black LGBT director to be nominated for Best Director at the Oscars -- that's huge, and very important in terms of milestones in LGBT history).
    it could be that you're in another Country Kieran, and that's why you've got (to me) a number of SHOCKING omissions.
    or it could simply be age (as thrilled as I am to see Sylvester on your list).

but *any* list regarding history, or heroes of the gay community simply MUST include:

John Waters -- Director/Writer (more ipmortant to USA Homosexuals than Pedro Amodovar)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Waters

Divine -- actor/singer (and the first time most in main stream America saw a drag queen on screen -- way before RuPaul)

Ellen DeGeneres -- Actress/Talk Show Host (the first major star to come out while her show was still on the air. A HUGE deal at the time and she suffered immensely (at the time) for the pioneering role that she took).

Rosie O'Donnell -- Actress/Talk Show host (yes, she came out AFTER her show was off the air, but she was known as the "queen of nice" and middle American Housewives loved her. so when she came out, it was like they suddenly all "knew" personally a lesbian, and could suddenly relate.

Wanda Sykes -- Actress/Comedienne (she's mentioned in one of the articles you linked, and absolutely should be on your list)

Personally, I'd include folks like Lilly Tomlin/Jodie Foster/Kristy McNichol/Joan Jett as well. . .all ladies who had great success, while being open within their own communities regarding their sexuality -- even if they didn't officially come out to the public at large until much later. . . they all were an "open secret" (as we've had this discussion before)

I'd also include folks like Jim Parsons, Matt Bomer, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Portia DeRossi, and Neal Patrick Harris -- actors who star/starred in Prime Time Television shows in the states, yet did not stop them from coming out and standing proud.
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    it could be that you're in another Country Kieran, and that's why you've got (to me) a number of SHOCKING omissions.

but *any* list regarding history, or heroes of the gay community simply MUST include:

John Waters -- Director/Writer (more ipmortant to USA Homosexuals than Pedro Amodovar)

Divine -- actor/singer (and the first time most in main stream America saw a drag queen on screen -- way before RuPaul)

Ellen DeGeneres -- Actress/Talk Show Host (the first major star to come out while her show was still on the air. A HUGE deal at the time and she suffered immensely (at the time) for the pioneering role that she took).

Rosie O'Donnell -- Actress/Talk Show host (yes, she came out AFTER her show was off the air, but she was known as the "queen of nice" and middle American Housewives loved her. so when she came out, it was like they suddenly all "knew" personally a lesbian, and could suddenly relate.

Wanda Sykes -- Actress/Comedienne (she's mentioned in one of the articles you linked, and absolutely should be on your list)

Personally, I'd include folks like Lilly Tomlin/Jodie Foster/Kristy McNichol/Joan Jett as well. . .all ladies who had great success, while being open within their own communities regarding their sexuality -- even if they didn't officially come out to the public at large until much later. . . they all were an "open secret" (as we've had this discussion before)

I'd also include folks like Jim Parsons, Matt Bomer, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Portia DeRossi, and Neal Patrick Harris -- actors who star/starred in Prime Time Television shows in the states, yet did not stop them from coming out and standing proud.
    I am not sure just because Ellen can dance and Rosie is angry and sassy we can count them as "People of Color", bert.

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    I am not sure just because Ellen can dance and Rosie is angry and sassy we can count them as "People of Color", bert.
    oh. .was that what he specifically was counting. . I was colorblind when looking at the list. . that's a good thing, innit?

guess he's listing "non-white"

ok then. . the main one missing is Wanda Sykes then from what I added
    Last edited by bert; 06-27-2014 at 07:50 AM.

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

See, I wasn't sure how that was working, either, because it seemed like "trans and PoC," but clearly, most of the list weren't trans.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

So were the very white churches.

Matter of fact, when you do the statistics properly and eliminate Religiousness (is that a word) as a fact, there was no difference between white people and black people on support for Prop 8.

http://www.salon.com/2009/01/09/race_prop8/
    Here's some more analysis on the Prop 8 voting breakdown. The part I find most interesting (and pleasing) is the age brackets. Every age bracket shows the older someone is, the more likely they were to vote for it (AND, by the same token, every generation is getting more and more tolerant). While that isn't ground-breaking news, it is (nonetheless) pleasing news.
    http://www.madpickles.org/California_Proposition_8.html

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post

Sorry, I should have been clearer from the previous page: the list is only important POC and trans in LGBT history (both LGBT and allies). It started from a debate that the LGBT Community doesn't give enough respect/air time to it's brothers and sisters of colour/and transgender. So we wanted to make a list to help educate others, and (hopefully) correct a small wrong in a big world.

P.S. and your list left out Sir Ian! SHAME ON YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    See, I wasn't sure how that was working, either, because it seemed like "trans and PoC," but clearly, most of the list weren't trans.
    The list wasn't ignoring trans; though famous trans people are less in number (I would assume) than LGBT of colour.

SIDE NOTE: is my memory serving me wrong, wasn't there a very famous trans person linked to the Stonewall riots or some sort of riots in San Fran? I don't think they are on the list.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 06-27-2014 at 08:01 AM.

The list wasn't ignoring trans; though famous trans people are less in number (I would assume) than LGBT of colour.

SIDE NOTE: is my memory serving me wrong, wasn't there a very famous trans person linked to the Stonewall riots or some sort of riots in San Fran? I don't think they are on the list.

and your list left off Chaz Bono. . arguably the most well known Trans person of the past 10 years.

Let me help out with a few more easy Trans folks for your list:

John Waters (who I listed, and introduced Divine to the world) also has among his group of "regular" actors (called the "Dreamlanders") Elizabeth Coffey (best known for appearances in "Pink Flamingos" and "Female Trouble"

Andy Warhol superstar, Holly Woodlawn deserves to be on your list (just for her appearance in "Trash". .tho she's done many other films)

and cant forget Candis Cayne or Alexis Arquette (not as famous as her Brother or Sisters, but still well known)