Page 38 of 550 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138538 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I guess the most famous trans person in Germany is Balian Buschbaum, who was a track and field star pre-op and a popular contender on "Dancing with the Stars" post op.

Wow, what a transition. Without that first picture, I wouldn't have known that. Awesome!

BANNED

I think he really did more for the German public understanding trans issues, and the non-duality of genders in general, than anyone else.

What about Lana Wachowski? Co-director, with her brother Andy, of movies like The Matrix, Cloud Atlas and Speed Racer.

BANNED

hasn't she "deflected" her transition?

no one really knew about it until it was already happening and they won't talk about it all that much

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost;241483[....

SIDE NOTE: is my memory serving me wrong, wasn't there a very famous trans person linked to the Stonewall riots or some sort of riots in San Fran? I don't think they are on the list.
    I think you mean Sylvia Rivera (who persistently warned of the dangers of the activist movement being co-opted by the conservative, middle-class, straight-appearing , and marriage conforming). The accepted narrative is that she threw the first brick at the cops when they started hassling the people gathered outside the Stonewall Inn.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thespianphryne View Post
    I think you mean Sylvia Rivera (who persistently warned of the dangers of the activist movement being co-opted by the conservative, middle-class, straight-appearing , and marriage conforming). The accepted narrative is that she threw the first brick at the cops when they started hassling the people gathered outside the Stonewall Inn.
    and that viewpoint is more divisive than anything an outside opponent can throw at you

there is room for all, id think, in the movement for LGBT equality

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post

no one really knew about it until it was already happening and they won't talk about it all that much
    Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crHHycz7T_c

BANNED

im at work so ill watch it later

but thanks

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Speaking of California, I keep forgetting my friend (and yours), Mark Takano is still active in the House of Representatives, and the first (only?) openly gay nonwhite person in there. While trying to avoid any paranoids that would turn that into "he's got agendas," he's been pretty good about negotiating policy from that perspective, at the very least. Locally important, even if "local" in this sense is rather broad.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    I guess the most famous trans person in Germany is Balian Buschbaum, who was a track and field star pre-op and a popular contender on "Dancing with the Stars" post op.

Forgot about Buschbaum (first heard of him in the previous LGBT thread on old CBR); I agree he's doing so much good for trans understanding. Pity Britain doesn't have anyone high profile like this, to help educate others on what it truly means to be trans.

Girl Glorious

I'm a dude who likes feminine things. I frequently wish that I were a beautiful girl in her twenties. When I see a commercial where a woman is getting her hair done.... I can't help thinking how heavenly that would be....or how fun and sweet it looks when a bunch of girls are making a fuss over each others hair or shoes or dresses or make up and how I wish I could be one of them. Not such a bad thing is it? Yet I could never utter a word of this to anyone I know. In the 21st century, With all of the horrible things that humans do People saying things like this are pretty much looked at as freaks or degenerates. Sucks. I would never have been a candidate for surgery.... I have no thoughts or fantasies about being an older woman and I get plenty of enjoyment out of being an unshaven slob in sweatpants and a tee shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by thespianphryne View Post
    Ah yes, thank-you for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    What about Lana Wachowski? Co-director, with her brother Andy, of movies like The Matrix, Cloud Atlas and Speed Racer.
    Excellent point. She is (to my knowledge) the first major Hollywood director to come out as transgender.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    The two have always been reluctant to talk about anything, on any subject.

[from wiki] In October 2012 Lana received the Human Rights Campaign's Visibility Award. In her acceptance speech she revealed that she had considered committing suicide once in her youth. Lana's acceptance speech was one of the longest public appearances that either of the notoriously reclusive siblings has ever given. She began by explaining that while she and her brother had not publicly commented on her transitioning during the past decade of rumors about it, this was not because she was ashamed of it, nor had she kept it a secret from her family and friends. Rather, Lana had not commented about her transitioning due to a general shyness about the news media that both she and her brother Andy possess. Comparing it to losing one's virginity as an event which only happens once and is irreversible, the Wachowskis had tried to stay out of the public eye and avoided giving interviews due to fear of losing their personal privacy, fearing that they would never be able to go to a public restaurant again without being noticed and harassed as celebrities. Explaining her decision to appear at the event, she said, "there are some things we do for ourselves, but there are some things we do for others. I am here because when I was young, I wanted very badly to be a writer, I wanted to be a filmmaker, but I couldn't find anyone like me in the world and it felt like my dreams were foreclosed simply because my gender was less typical than others. If I can be that person for someone else, then the sacrifice of my private civic life may have value."

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Speaking of California, I keep forgetting my friend (and yours), Mark Takano is still active in the House of Representatives, and the first (only?) openly gay nonwhite person in there. While trying to avoid any paranoids that would turn that into "he's got agendas," he's been pretty good about negotiating policy from that perspective, at the very least. Locally important, even if "local" in this sense is rather broad.
    Kudos to your friends for being a pioneer.

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    Lana's speech was amazing and moving. Thanks for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar87 View Post
    Lana's speech was amazing and moving. Thanks for posting it.
    Agreed, really touching. Thank-you 4thpip