Page 391 of 550 FirstFirst ... 291341381387388389390391392393394395401441491 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,865 of 8245

I saw that bit about the legend of Korra! It's so good. Best animated series I've ever seen. It's art. Can't wait for more.

Never even heard of the good place sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Silvermoth, looking back over the thread we never heard from you about what happened at your friend's wedding? Did you go to the service and leave the reception? Did you bring a date? Did you talk to your friend about it?
    The wedding isn't til the end of the month and I'm talking to my friend about it now. Fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    I read the first issue of Midnighter and Apollo. It definitely feels like a natural continuation of the previous Midnighter series and it has a sex scene between the two title characters as well as cameos by other DC gay characters Extrano and Monsieur Mallah & The Brain.
    I literally can't wait to read that! Such a great week for comics this week! I love that Orlando is getting so many good roles now

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Hey, folks! Thought you might be interested in a sighting of a new transgendered character in literature!

If you're a fan of Rick Riordan's mythology-based novels, you know he's a very inclusive writer, and his most recent book Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: The Hammer of Thor, he just introduced his first transgendered character.

The character's name is Alex Fierro, a child of Loki who just recently died and has joined the heroic dead in Valhalla. The character identifies as gender-fluid and transgendered, so I'm not 100% sure which pronouns to use for him/her. He/she insists on being called by one gender pronoun or another until he/she "switches," I guess is the proper word. I guess this is as good a place as any to request clarification on how to talk about gender-fluid characters?

Anyway, the character is quite interesting so far. I haven't read the entire book yet (it just came out two days ago) but so far I'm pretty impressed. It's a great book series, so you may want to check it out.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Excited to hear about Batwoman's new series. I'm still dying to see her and Midnighter become friends.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

DC has been doing such a superlative job with LGBT representation lately; the Midnighter solo and mini, Batwoman getting another solo, the "Love is Love" title for pulse victims and their families, Constantine acknowledging his bisexuality, Catwoman being openly bi and in a relationship with a woman, Harley and Ivy (I haven't checked on them but I'm assuming they're still together?). DC also has quite a few LGBT+ writers and artists.

Meanwhile Marvel has hardly done a thing all year and only has World Of Wakanda lined up. I love what Dennis Hopeless is doing so far with Young Iceman in All-New X-Men, and Ewing's NA run has done some good things for Hulkling and Wiccan and Angela had a good (but short) run earlier this year. But overall Marvel is leagues behind DC atm. Marvel is pushing diversity hard but seems to be far more hesitant with LGBT+ representation. Bisexual characters like Mystique and Loki hardly even get their bisexuality acknowledged at all. Alonso's comments on Hercules' sexuality and refusal to acknowledge Angela as bi were appalling moments as well. Get with it Marvel. Get your LGBT characters out of limbo and give your more prominent and popular ones a solo title. If characters like Solo and Starbrand/Nighthawk can have ongoings than so can Iceman/Ms America Chavez/ Northstar, etc.
    Last edited by Wiccan615; 10-06-2016 at 09:57 AM.
    "It's not about adding diversity for the sake of diversity, it's about subtracting homogeneity for the sake of realism."
    -Mary Robinette Kowal

Does anyone else remember the transgender character named Cloud, who appeared in the Defenders in the 1980s? She was female at first, but was later revealed to be able to switch back and forth between female and male personas. It was kind of ham-fisted by today's standards, but was a nice try at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    Has anyone seen any biphobic articles in reaction to the Angelina and Brad break-up? I ask because there were several biphobic articles about Amber Heard after she divorced Johnny Depp. (Or is this the public not being familiar with the fact that Angelina Jolie is bi?)
    I haven't noticed any, but I'm not likely to click on any stories about their break-up; the papers went cray-cray over the whole thing. And no the public isn't often aware she's bi, but then again she's not made much effort over the years of being with Brad Pitt to speak out against it (even when refusing to marry until all America had gay marriage... which, FYI, was a promise they broke).

In shallower news, has anyone seen The Good Place, yet? I haven't noticed any LGBT representation or anything, but the guy who plays Jason on the show is so good looking it hurts. I don't just watch the show for him, because it's a really good show, but he's seriously good looking. Tell me I'm not alone
    How DARE you speak of a hottie and not post a picture. Why I 'oughta!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan615 View Post
    DC has been doing such a superlative job with LGBT representation lately; the Midnighter solo and mini, Batwoman getting another solo, the "Love is Love" title for pulse victims and their families, Constantine acknowledging his bisexuality, Catwoman being openly bi and in a relationship with a woman, Harley and Ivy (I haven't checked on them but I'm assuming they're still together?). DC also has quite a few LGBT+ writers and artists.
    Kudos DC, and they have always been ahead of the MCU film and TV series too. Gotham and Arrow had LGBT+ characters long before Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Jessica Jones acknowledges LGBT+ people exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan615 View Post
    Meanwhile Marvel has hardly done a thing all year and only has World Of Wakanda lined up. I love what Dennis Hopeless is doing so far with Young Iceman in All-New X-Men, and Ewing's NA run has done some good things for Hulkling and Wiccan and Angela had a good (but short) run earlier this year. But overall Marvel is leagues behind DC atm. Marvel is pushing diversity hard but seems to be far more hesitant with LGBT+ representation. Bisexual characters like Mystique and Loki hardly even get their bisexuality acknowledged at all. Alonso's comments on Hercules' sexuality and refusal to acknowledge Angela as bi were appalling moments as well. Get with it Marvel. Get your LGBT characters out of limbo and give your more prominent and popular ones a solo title. If characters like Solo and Starbrand/Nighthawk can have ongoings than so can Iceman/Ms America Chavez/ Northstar, etc.
    I think my passion for Marvel has been slipping for a while, partly because of this aspect. Not since Gillen's glorious Young Avengers have I felt that level of LGBT+ love from the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Hey, folks! Thought you might be interested in a sighting of a new transgendered character in literature!

If you're a fan of Rick Riordan's mythology-based novels, you know he's a very inclusive writer, and his most recent book Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: The Hammer of Thor, he just introduced his first transgendered character.

The character's name is Alex Fierro, a child of Loki who just recently died and has joined the heroic dead in Valhalla. The character identifies as gender-fluid and transgendered, so I'm not 100% sure which pronouns to use for him/her. He/she insists on being called by one gender pronoun or another until he/she "switches," I guess is the proper word. I guess this is as good a place as any to request clarification on how to talk about gender-fluid characters?

Anyway, the character is quite interesting so far. I haven't read the entire book yet (it just came out two days ago) but so far I'm pretty impressed. It's a great book series, so you may want to check it out.
    I've always been a little ignorant on this too. The book sounds really interesting. Might read it when I'm in Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    The wedding isn't til the end of the month and I'm talking to my friend about it now. Fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Does anyone else remember the transgender character named Cloud, who appeared in the Defenders in the 1980s? She was female at first, but was later revealed to be able to switch back and forth between female and male personas. It was kind of ham-fisted by today's standards, but was a nice try at the time.
    Cloud came back into our minds during Iceman coming out as gay. It reads VERY interesting, now we know where the story goes.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I've always been a little ignorant on this too. The book sounds really interesting. Might read it when I'm in Italy.
    Just so you know, the book is the second book of a trilogy, so you may need to pick up Book One: The Sword of Summer in order to fully follow the story. But they're really great books, with tons of humor and adventure, so they're definitely worth your time.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

For anyone who's interested Steve Orlando did an interview with the Advocate and it confirms that The Ray will be gay in the upcoming Justice League series.
    http://www.advocate.com/arts-enterta...-bi-mastermind
    Last edited by MasterOfMagnetism; 10-06-2016 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I saw that bit about the legend of Korra! It's so good. Best animated series I've ever seen. It's art. Can't wait for more.

Never even heard of the good place sorry
    I miss the show so much. I used to rewatch Korra's battle with Zaheer over and over on YouTube just to marvel at the animation.

It's on NBC at the moment, so if you're into wacky comedies that focus on the afterlife, then you'll like it lol

I haven't noticed any, but I'm not likely to click on any stories about their break-up; the papers went cray-cray over the whole thing. And no the public isn't often aware she's bi, but then again she's not made much effort over the years of being with Brad Pitt to speak out against it (even when refusing to marry until all America had gay marriage... which, FYI, was a promise they broke).
    Had no idea they even made a promise like that. I heard the kids were pressuring -- as much as any kids can pressure their parents-- them to get married, so they did it to make them happy. Not excusing them, though.

How DARE you speak of a hottie and not post a picture. Why I 'oughta!!!!

He's cute. Looks familiar too. Who is he?

Kudos DC, and they have always been ahead of the MCU film and TV series too. Gotham and Arrow had LGBT+ characters long before Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Jessica Jones acknowledges LGBT+ people exist.
    DC actually has LGBT representation on each of its shows, minus The Flash. They have Sara Lance/White Canary and Obsidian on Legends of Tomorrow, Curtis Holt/Mr. Terrific on Arrow, and a character is coming out this season on Supergirl

If I'm aware of a person's pronouns, I usually default to they/them, which I also use if the person prefers to go by they/them in lieu of him/her.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

I miss the show so much. I used to rewatch Korra's battle with Zaheer over and over on YouTube just to marvel at the animation.
    I really liked Legend of Korra too, but I didn't get into it until it got on Netflix. I watched Avatar: The Last Airbender with my sisters when we were kids but Legend of Korra was much better. Zaheer was my favourite character, I'm usually more drawn to villain characters.

Had no idea they even made a promise like that. I heard the kids were pressuring -- as much as any kids can pressure their parents-- them to get married, so they did it to make them happy. Not excusing them, though.
    And Bruce Willis didn't board a plane after 9/11 because "his kids begged him not to." Parents are supposed to parent, which means THEY (not their kids) get their way on important matters. If Pitt/Jolie couldn't instill in their children the importance to stand united with the LGBT+ community (esp. consider their mother is bi) then what kind of parents are they? Coincidently (for our Australian brothers and sisters) Kylie has made the same promise for "downunder"

"Kylie's a gay icon" - Australian author Kathy Lette explains singer's campaign
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/37575848

Kylie Minogue's fiance, English actor Joshua Sasse, says they won't get married until same-sex unions are legalised in her native Australia. The couple have been vocal supporters of the "Say I Do Down Under" marriage equality campaign.

Kylie's friend, Australian author Kathy Lette, told the Victoria Derbyshire programme that the current situation was "embarrassing" for her homeland.

DC actually has LGBT representation on each of its shows, minus The Flash. They have Sara Lance/White Canary and Obsidian on Legends of Tomorrow, Curtis Holt/Mr. Terrific on Arrow, and a character is coming out this season on Supergirl
    DC once again leaving the MCU in the dust when it comes to LGBT+ representation.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Interesting Newsnight piece on a recent poll about UK sexual identity. (hope I've got these numbers right) 1.7% identified as LGB BUT when 16-24 year olds are asked, 3.3% identified as LGB. AND (biggest part) of the 16-24 year olds, 55% identified as bisexual (while the overall 1.7% 2/3 identify as lesbian or gay). The show talked about the younger generation possibly having a more fluid idea of sexuality, about being more open when asked on their sexuality, and also the 80s "Bi now, gay later" politics. Worth watching.

And Bruce Willis didn't board a plane after 9/11 because "his kids begged him not to." Parents are supposed to parent, which means THEY (not their kids) get their way on important matters. If Pitt/Jolie couldn't instill in their children the importance to stand united with the LGBT+ community (esp. consider their mother is bi) then what kind of parents are they? Coincidently (for our Australian brothers and sisters) Kylie has made the same promise for "downunder"

"Kylie's a gay icon" - Australian author Kathy Lette explains singer's campaign
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/37575848

Kylie Minogue's fiance, English actor Joshua Sasse, says they won't get married until same-sex unions are legalised in her native Australia. The couple have been vocal supporters of the "Say I Do Down Under" marriage equality campaign.

Kylie's friend, Australian author Kathy Lette, told the Victoria Derbyshire programme that the current situation was "embarrassing" for her homeland.

DC once again leaving the MCU in the dust when it comes to LGBT+ representation.
    The Flash may currently have no gay characters (although they have had the Pied Piper, even if they didn't reveal him as gay), but they do have John Wesley Shipp as both Henry Allen and the Jay Garrick of Earth 3.

I saw that bit about Kylie! She's the best! I remember when charlize said she wouldn't marry until marriage equality was universal in America and I laughed at the time because I thought that would never happen and it was her way of saying she wasn't the marrying type.

Still, history proved me wrong. Fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Excited to hear about Batwoman's new series. I'm still dying to see her and Midnighter become friends.
    I know, it sounds so good. I love Batwoman. More than Batman actually