Page 40 of 550 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140540 ... LastLast

Apparently a rainbow wrapper is too much for some people.
    http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement...r_homophobes_2

Since it's relevant for the thread, while Boston Legal didn't have any gay or bisexual main cast members (though it did have a VERY major gay wedding; and one of the main judges was gay), a main cast was a transvestite Clarence Bell. Played by Gary Anthony Williams (of Malcolm in the Middle and Boondocks fame)... Clarence is hopelessly shy and introverted; to deal with this drawback, he role-plays as other people who embody the characteristics he cannot (mostly it's Clarice, but he does an epic Oprah too).

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    when Shatner and Spader would sit on the balcony at the end of the show and talk, that was the best 5 minutes of TV each week
    LOVE the balcony scenes (it always made me laugh how jealous Brad was of the balcony scenes).

my favorite episode is 'Shock and Ow' - Denny takes a case and uses branding to try it in the media, and it gets thrown out
    (like he planned all along)
    I love so many episodes. I think, for pure pathos: the Good Lawyer is heartbreaking. Where Alan has to shred Jerry of his "persona" and do all manner of unlikeable things to win. He fights the good fight, using the worst of tactics. DAMN, he's so amazing!

But I could easily get into a debate purely on "Best Alan Shore Monologues". Sooooooo many good ones!

still undefeated....Denny Crane
    “You know the old joke, Alan? Man shows up at the pearly gates, sees this guy in a pinstripe suit and a briefcase, a cigar, prancing about. He says to Saint Peter, ‘Who’s that guy?’ Saint Peter says, ‘Ah, that’s just God. Thinks he’s Denny Crane.’”
    ~ Denny Crane

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    one of my favorite shows, welcomes back an awesome character!
    Welcome back "Venus Van Dam"
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/02/so...venus-van-dam/
    I've never watched Sons of Anarchy (the trailers here don't seem appealing... though I do love Kathy Sagal = she was AWESOME in Boston Legal)... but this character sounds fantastic. It makes me think of Famke Janssen's Ava Moore in Nip/Tuck (like SoA, it was also created by FX). I liked Googin in Django Unchained (2012) and Lincoln (2012) (though both were relatively small roles, he did them well).

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar87 View Post
    I want to be angry, but truthfully how can you not laugh? "A sodomy burger" created by "Burger Queen". I mean COME ON!!! How, oh sweet Jesus, HOW do these people say something like this with a straight face and not feel like a bunch of idiots??? Also why are so many proudly moving to Chicken Fill-A? Is there an anti-gay sentiment prevalent at that restaurant???

Thinking about Boston Legal; this is one of my big bugbears when comparing David E. Kelley to Aaron Sorkin. BOTH have created numerous shows that defend and advocate for the rights of LGBT people... BUT David E. Kelley actually puts his money where his mouth is (and Sorkin doesn't). Kelley doesn't just passionately advocate for the LGBT Community (SEE: below) but ALSO includes LGBT people in his casts, in his supporting casts... Aaron Sorkin, for all his "there is nothing wrong with being gay" never has any main cast members (or even major supporting cast members) be LGBT. And it just annoys me.

One of my favourite Alan Shore monologues...

[from "Selling Sickness" S3, EP14]
    Alan Shore has brought his very own personal soapbox with him, and sets it in the middle of the floor;
    steps up onto it, and buttons his jacket for good measure.

JUDGE GLORIA WELDON: What are you doing?
    ALAN SHORE: Climbing on my soapbox, Judge. I do it once a week.
    JUDGE GLORIA WELDON: Get off that thing now, Mr. Shore!
    ALAN SHORE: You sure? This is vintage soapbox stuff. You've got God, money, (steps off soapbox) politics, homosexuality. Has anyone ever heard of restless legs syndrome? It’s where you move your leg about in your sleep. It’s awful. You may have it. It may not keep you awake; it doesn't really harm you in any way. It may not bother you in the slightest, but nonetheless it’s awful. The pharmaceutical companies have declared it so. So they've invented a drug, and you simply must take it. If you haven’t heard of restless leg, by the way, you probably have attention deficit disorder. Awful. We've got a lot of drugs for that one. You must take them. You’re depressed.
    Cut to a female juror who looks somewhat sad
    ALAN SHORE: You’re not sleeping enough.
    Cut to Denny Crane, who IS sleeping!
    ALAN SHORE: You think you’re shy, but you've actually got a social anxiety disorder.
    Cut to male juror who looks a bit uncomfortable with the attention.
    ALAN SHORE (as camera pans across an older male juror): Weak stream. (and another male juror) Irritable bowel syndrome. You people have all kinds of ailments you don’t know about. Luckily, we've got drugs for every one of them. You must take them. My colleague has a case involving a “Forgetting Pill.” You can take that one to forget you ever had restless leg or irritable bowels!
    JUDGE GLORIA WELDON: Mr. Shore, what are you talking about?
    ALAN SHORE: Same-sex Attraction Disorder. And what troubles me is why the folks in Big Pharmaceutical haven’t invented a pill for this disease. Clearly, they’re in the business of selling sickness. If there was a profit to be made, they would make it. And with an estimated gay population of over 10 million in the U.S. alone, there’s certainly a big enough market. Could it be that they can’t cure it? Well, not to worry. If Big Pharmaceutical can’t do it, maybe Big Religion can. And they are. They’re the ones who coined the term, “Same-Sex Attraction Disorder.” It’s a very good name. Very important, a good name. It’s a crucial first step in disqualifying homosexuals as a segment of the population and categorizing them as a disease. Makes homosexuals seem less like people and more like the flu. And with terrible, awful symptoms (makes a face) but curable, and therefore less concerning when it comes to things like an individual’s rights: freedom, privacy, marriage. Big Religion is very concerned with marriage. Big Religion is the one filling the pockets of Congress. It actually got them to propose a Constitutional ban on gay marriage. Think about that. A governmentally imposed, systematic prejudice against a class based on their sexual orientation. Never mind that one of the most trusted evangelical advisors to the President was himself having a homosexual affair on the side. Never mind that one of our Congressmen was writing naughty e-mails to his teenage male pages. Isn't it just a disease? And I thought it was curable. That’s what they told me down at the-- church. Well, you can legislate against it. You can give it a clever name and treat people for it. You can shut your eyes, have sex with your wife, and pretend it all feels right. You can join the church and swear to be celibate. You can drive around on a Saturday night with a baseball bat and try to beat it out of some poor soul you happen to meet. You can even come to this courtroom and testify as to your new leaf and how well it’s all working. What a miracle! My only response is: Give it time. We’ll see. Meanwhile, this company took $40,000 from my client, promising to cure him of his gayness. Only in America! Only in a country that overtly and notoriously celebrates its prejudice against a class of people by proposing Constitutional amendments. God bless us all! Home of the brave! Shame on you. Couldn't you have at least offered a money-back guarantee, and thrown in a blender?

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 07-04-2014 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I want to be angry, but truthfully how can you not laugh? "A sodomy burger" created by "Burger Queen". I mean COME ON!!! How, oh sweet Jesus, HOW do these people say something like this with a straight face and not feel like a bunch of idiots??? Also why are so many proudly moving to Chicken Fill-A? Is there an anti-gay sentiment prevalent at that restaurant???
    Chick-Fil-A donates money to conservative and christian groups that have anti-gay agendas.
    http://equalitymatters.org/factcheck/201207020001
    Last edited by Scholar87; 07-04-2014 at 09:26 AM.

Chick-Fil-A and Cracker Barrel.

both anti-gay super religious owned companies (Chick-Fil-A isn't open on Sundays, as it's God's day of rest).
    (which means, of course, that both of them have "Duck Dynasty" fans as their main customer base these days).

screw them both, haven't eaten at either in years, and will never again do so.
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

Hence Willam's parody video: Chow down at Chick Fil-A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO-msplukrw&feature=kp

BANNED

both anti-gay super religious owned companies (Chick-Fil-A isn't open on Sundays, as it's God's day of rest).
    (which means, of course, that both of them have "Duck Dynasty" fans as their main customer base these days).

you're better than me, those chicken biscuits are tasty as hell

they taste like shame and bigotry, but still mmmm mmmm mmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by TroubleWithTrebles View Post
    And incredibly embracing of many non mainstream people without being a Pol Correct network TV pityf$ck.
    One of the several reasons I'm sad Caprica didn't make it beyond first season was the Adama family, specifically the brother who is in a gay marriage. It's not mentioned as anything remotely controversial or even out of the ordinary. It's just there. What's even better is said Adama is a mob guy.
    Last edited by Beige Lantern; 07-05-2014 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Comment removed. I know the difference between a "safe space" and open turf, so I won't start a debate here.

you're better than me, those chicken biscuits are tasty as hell

they taste like shame and bigotry, but still mmmm mmmm mmmmm
    I don't go out of my way to eat at Cracker Barrel, but when I do... I shamefully love the hash brown casserole. I thought Cracker Barrel was improving a bit on the equality front-- not leaps and bounds, mind you, but baby steps... did they backslide?

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nschornhorst View Post
    I don't go out of my way to eat at Cracker Barrel, but when I do... I shamefully love the hash brown casserole. I thought Cracker Barrel was improving a bit on the equality front-- not leaps and bounds, mind you, but baby steps... did they backslide?
    Cracker Barrel's a bit of a mess, in that way, because they do have a very good record overall, and are more on the ball with racial/cultural discrimination than a lot of chain restaurants. But the Duck Dynasty connection has brought a wave of homophobia back to them, and also a counterwave of people not wanting to support **** like Duck Dynasty's faux-down-home rich churchy bigot family/empire.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar87 View Post
    I wonder 9if they realize that their response are likely to encourage same people to eat a BK?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikekerr3 View Post
    I wonder 9if they realize that their response are likely to encourage same people to eat a BK?
    Even if some of them do they probably wouldn't care.

As far as low wage jobs go, gays and lesbians would be hard pressed to find a better place to work than Chik-Fil-A. Their hiring practices have always been inclusive. They ceased all donations to discriminatory groups in 2012. And no, it wasn't just for publicity, seeing as the controversy actually increased its sales (which is really sad, but that's another story). The family that runs Chik-Fil-A is a group of genuinely good people. Closing on Sundays doesn't change that.

BANNED

that closed on Sundays would not fly here in the northheast

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beige Lantern View Post
    One of the several reasons I'm sad Caprica didn't make it beyond first season was the Adama family, specifically the brother who is in a gay marriage. It's not mentioned as anything remotely controversial or even out of the ordinary. It's just there. What's even better is said Adama is a mob guy.
    So you think many other examples are more guilty of tokenism? Do you have examples that bother you because of that?