Page 403 of 550 FirstFirst ... 303353393399400401402403404405406407413453503 ... LastLast
Results 6,031 to 6,045 of 8245

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan615 View Post
    I love Nintendo! Pokemon and Fire Emblem are two of my favourite game franchises! And yeah Nintendo has a lot of LGBT fans.
    Favourite Games on Nintendo:
    1. the Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    2. Super Mario Galaxy
    3. Super Smash Bros: Brawl
    4. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    5. Mario Kart: Wii
    6. GoldenEye
    7. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
    8. Mario Kart 64
    9. Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker
    10. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

As you can tell... love me some Zelda. Adult Link is HOT! There I said it!

Nerd communities in general are toxic but video game communities are the cream of the crop in regards to that. A lot of elitist bullies exist in most game communities, neogaf is probably my most frequently visited gaming forum and even IT has it's fair share of elitists but it's typically a more progressive community.
    I am always amazed that nerd communities house this; because... often the more educated/intelligent you are, the more you understand the wrongs of prejudice. Prejudice and a lack of education have many parallels. OR MAYBE it's online nerd communities (i.e. if they are bullied, they use their internet persona to bully/talk tough/be mean, to take back some of the power???). I don't know, but I'm constantly surprised. Mainly because every nerd I've met in real life seems generally quite socially liberal. :confuse:
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Oh my GOD @ that picture of Link o.0

Oh man I love smash and Mario kart too ^.^

And yeah, idk about the psychology of why nerd culture is like that. There are many liberal/progressive nerds too but there's a sizeable chunk that aren't, many of which have very alt right views. I often think that we don't really live in a world that's as progressive as we'd think, lots of people (regardless of intelligence level) still have a rough time looking past their own frame of reference. That's a hard thing for anyone to do really, but you'd think it wouldn't come to such vitriolic levels where people don't feel welcome in communities.

And oh man a top 10 is too hard for me to create but here's a list of my favourite Nintendo games in no particular order: Pokemon X, Fire Emblem Fates, Fire Emblem Awakening, Super Smash Bros Wii U, Mario Kart 8, Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Super Smash Bros Melee, Super Mario 3D World
    Last edited by Wiccan615; 11-24-2016 at 11:54 AM.
    "It's not about adding diversity for the sake of diversity, it's about subtracting homogeneity for the sake of realism."
    -Mary Robinette Kowal

Oh my GOD @ that picture of Link o.0
    I know, that's how I know he has so many gay fans... A LOT of fan art (and more )

Oh man I love smash and Mario kart too ^.^
    I always, always played as Peach
    #bingorabbi

And yeah, idk about the psychology of why nerd culture is like that. There are many liberal/progressive nerds too but there's a sizeable chunk that aren't, many of which have very alt right views. I often think that we don't really live in a world that's as progressive as we'd think, lots of people (regardless of intelligence level) still have a rough time looking past their own frame of reference. That's a hard thing for anyone to do really, but you'd think it wouldn't come to such vitriolic levels where people don't feel welcome in communities.
    I've seen the phrase "alt right" used a lot recently, what does it mean? Definition wise? Alternative right????

And oh man a top 10 is too hard for me to create but here's a list of my favourite Nintendo games in no particular order: Pokemon X, Fire Emblem Fates, Fire Emblem Awakening, Super Smash Bros Wii U, Mario Kart 8, Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Super Smash Bros Melee, Super Mario 3D World
    Really want to play Fire Emblem, loved using Marth in Smash Bros. You excited for the new Zelda game? Looks INCREDIBLE!!!
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

The new Zelda game looks brilliant! Shirtless Link FTW! And yes I definitely recommend trying Fire Emblem, it's a turn based strategy RPG which may or may not be your thing, but I absolutely love it! There's a gay marriage option in the latest one, it isn't perfect (there's only one option for men and women but a bunch of heterosexual options) but still a huge step forward for Japanese RPGs!

I use alt right as an umbrella term for conservatives who are basically neo nazis but yeah it basically means "alternative right"
    "It's not about adding diversity for the sake of diversity, it's about subtracting homogeneity for the sake of realism."
    -Mary Robinette Kowal

Incredible Member

I have a soft spot for Link x Pit. (Dark Link and Dark Pit can join as well whenever they feel like it. *cough*)

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Favourite Games on Nintendo
    Can't do that. SNES games alone would easily burst a top ten. ... I'll do top three favorite games of notable (notably long) series by Nintendo.

Disclaimer: I haven't yet played any 3DS or Wii U games to any reasonable extent, safe for a couple one of my nieces owns. Simply put due to region lock.

Furthermore, the various Smash Bros. and Mario Kart games kind of mentally blend together for me at this point (as would the Mario Party ones surely even more so, but I've only ever owned one of them, namely Mario Party 8). Also haven't played enough Kirby and Yoshi games, sadly, what with them fairly recently and fairly expansively rediscovering those two IPs. Of what I have played of them, though, I like the SNES classic best by far in both cases.

The Legend of Zelda:
    1. Twilight Princess
    2. Ocarina of Time
    3. A Link to the Past
    But I really like 'em all a whole lot. (Well, at least all until the most recent few - see above.)

Metroid:
    1. Metroid Fusion
    2. Super Metroid
    3. Metroid: Zero Mission
    The Prime Trilogy was amazingly innovative, but at the end of the day I simply prefer the original/main/2D series, a new entry being long overdue. (And the other games all pretty much suck.)

Super Mario(/Luigi/Wario/Waluigi/Peach/Daisy/Toad/Toadette) platformers:
    1. Wario Land - Super Mario Land 3
    2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
    3. Super Mario World
    I find the New Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario 3D series rather underwhelming (DS and Wii entries I own, 3DS and Wii U entries I've played). Also in terms of gameplay but especially in terms of presentation. Boy, do I miss semi-open island overworld maps. And that Wario Land has never had a proper sequel that expands on its features is a gaming atrocity.

Fire Emblem:
    I've dabbled in most - maybe all - the classic 2D entries, but I've only ever really played the Tellius Dilogy, of which I slightly prefer the second game over the first. I do really want to play the new 3DS entries (specifically Reflet x Chrom in Fire Emblem: Kakusei and Kamui x Aqua in Fire Emblem: if - Invisible Kingdom), but on top of the above issue, the DLC - and Amiibo - policy really pisses me off, so...

Donkey Kong (with ape protagonists):
    1. Donkey Kong Country 2
    2. Donkey Kong Country 3
    3. Donkey Kong Country
    I have to admit, though, that I haven't gotten around to getting/playing Donkey Kong Country Returns and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze yet, though.

Pocket Monsters:
    I've only ever finished Pokémon Red and Pokémon Gold, so I can't really judge the bulk of that series. (I'm certain I've also bought and played - but most probably not finished - either Pokémon Diamond or Pokémon Pearl, but I honestly can't remember which one. Anyway, haven't touched any of the other entries - main or spin-off. Well, Pokémon Go aside.)
    Last edited by twincast; 11-24-2016 at 05:47 PM.
    Death's Head, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, House of X, Powers of X.
    Ascender, DIE, Saga, The Wicked + The Divine.
    Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman Beyond, Catwoman, Lois Lane, Naomi, Young Justice.

My first ever console was a Nintendo 64 and a lot of the games on it remain my favourite of all time. Super Mario 64. Banjo tooie. Conker's bad fur day. Donkey Kong. Legend of Zelda.

And speaking of, wow at that pic of Link. He's always been one of the sexiest video game characters. Dying to know who they would cast as him in a movie if they ever did that

Changed my profile picture to honour the glorious Diamond Queen's victory over in the X-books.
    #EmmaWASright

The new Zelda game looks brilliant! Shirtless Link FTW!
    Just... so... GORGEOUS!!!

And yes I definitely recommend trying Fire Emblem, it's a turn based strategy RPG which may or may not be your thing, but I absolutely love it! There's a gay marriage option in the latest one, it isn't perfect (there's only one option for men and women but a bunch of heterosexual options) but still a huge step forward for Japanese RPGs!
    You had me at RPG! Is it available on the Wii?

I use alt right as an umbrella term for conservatives who are basically neo nazis but yeah it basically means "alternative right"
    Ahhh! So alt-right is BAD right, bad conservatives. The worst kind of right, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by twincast View Post
    Disclaimer: I haven't yet played any 3DS or Wii U games to any reasonable extent, safe for a couple one of my nieces owns. Simply put due to region lock.
    I "think" I'm getting a Wii U for Christmas. SQUEAL!!!

Furthermore, the various Smash Bros. and Mario Kart games kind of mentally blend together for me at this point (as would the Mario Party ones surely even more so, but I've only ever owned one of them, namely Mario Party 8). Also haven't played enough Kirby and Yoshi games, sadly, what with them fairly recently and fairly expansively rediscovering those two IPs. Of what I have played of them, though, I like the SNES classic best by far in both cases.
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhh I love Mario Party; and 8 is my favourite!!!! I do agree the Smash Bros and Kart's meld into one, but I love them all.

The Legend of Zelda:
    1. Twilight Princess
    2. Ocarina of Time
    3. A Link to the Past
    But I really like 'em all a whole lot. (Well, at least all until the most recent few - see above.)
    YOU SIR, have exquisite taste.

Metroid:
    1. Metroid Fusion
    2. Super Metroid
    3. Metroid: Zero Mission
    The Prime Trilogy was amazingly innovative, but at the end of the day I simply prefer the original/main/2D series, a new entry being long overdue. (And the other games all pretty much suck.)
    I never played Metroid games; were they good? Never much of a shoot'em up fan; outside of a bow and arrow, of course. Lol.

Super Mario(/Luigi/Wario/Waluigi/Peach/Daisy/Toad/Toadette) platformers:
    1. Wario Land - Super Mario Land 3
    2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
    3. Super Mario World
    I find the New Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario 3D series rather underwhelming (DS and Wii entries I own, 3DS and Wii U entries I've played). Also in terms of gameplay but especially in terms of presentation. Boy, do I miss semi-open island overworld maps. And that Wario Land has never had a proper sequel that expands on its features is a gaming atrocity.
    REALLY? I never played Wario Land, but this peaks my curiosity. It's that good? Might have to go buy it. What about it makes you love it so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    My first ever console was a Nintendo 64 and a lot of the games on it remain my favourite of all time. Super Mario 64. Banjo tooie. Conker's bad fur day. Donkey Kong. Legend of Zelda.
    To bring this back to LGBT+; my first ever game I got to have a same-sex pairing was Fallout 2. I got so excited, and nervous, in case anyone saw I was married to a guy. LOVED it, it really made me feel like that character was me.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    And speaking of, wow at that pic of Link. He's always been one of the sexiest video game characters. Dying to know who they would cast as him in a movie if they ever did that
    At his peak, Gaspard Ulliel would have been perfect.

Incredible Member

You had me at RPG! Is it available on the Wii?
    The Tellius Dilogy, i.e. Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, - being a GameCube game and a Wii game - can be played on the Wii. The two most recent ones - Awakening and Fates - are 3DS games with limited avatar customization, prior to which it was the series of blue-haired male protagonists (as seen in Smash Brothers). And I believe all earlier ones (as well as probably the Tellius Dilogy by now) have Virtual Console versions, but most of them have never been officially translated.

YOU SIR, have exquisite taste.
    Why, thank you, kind sir.

I never played Metroid games; were they good? Never much of a shoot'em up fan; outside of a bow and arrow, of course. Lol.
    The moments of tight control rapid fire (mostly during boss fights) are part of its appeal as well, but mostly the series thrives from its atmosphere (including horror and flight/hide sequences) and new upgrades unlocking new (both obligatory and optional) areas, which to a somewhat lesser/more linear degree is also a staple of Zelda and Pokémon games.

REALLY? I never played Wario Land, but this peaks my curiosity. It's that good? Might have to go buy it. What about it makes you love it so much?
    • It's got an island overworld (with a consistent kitchen parody theme) with distinctive landmarks. And the levels reflect their placement on the region maps extremely well. (Instead of (also visually) 95% linear strings of levels in nondescript flat worlds randomly put one after another as in recent Mario games. Yes, they didn't find a way to fit in a desert region, but so what?)
    • Unlike Super Mario Land 2, the regions can't largely be played in any order, but because of the strong theme and interactivity that actually helps it tell a story without any text.
    • However, it's got several secret levels and a whole secret region branching off, the discovery of a new secret exit being quite the elevating feeling (in a pre-WWW world).
    • A couple of major actions affect the whole world, spoilers:
      meaning several earlier levels get changed (mostly through different water lines).
      end of spoilers Which is something I don't remember ever happening in any other Mario game (or any other platformer, for that matter). Most definitely a huge surprise when it first happened.
    • Unlike all other Wario games other than Wario Land for the Virtual Boy (which is also pretty good but definitely the lesser of the two), Wario has (three very different) power up hats like Mario always has. (Much cooler than the various forms he takes in the subsequent Wario Land puzzle platforming games.) As well as a Mini Wario form you'd occasionally actually want to use. And IIRC he could crouch-walk before Mario.
    • Also, there are many quirky secret treasures to discover which are more enticing than the uniform stars in post-Super Mario 64 games, and the more treasures and coins you find, the better your reward at the (repeatable) end will ultimately be.
    • Plus the diverse level design is simply magnificent. All the classic platforming tropes are represented (multiple times each) and then some.
    • Most of the above really encourages replaying levels within a single save file, and it's never truly a chore, to boot, while still posing a challenge (unlike those deathless borefests that followed).
    Last edited by twincast; 11-27-2016 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Replaced "area" with more appropriate "region" in WL description. Technically it's "world" as in SM games, but doesn't fit.
    Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman Beyond, Catwoman, Lois Lane, Naomi, Young Justice.

This is awful; I feel so bad for his poor mother; and of course the boy himself. IF a law is passed, or that anti-bully class expanded, I hope it acknowledges this poor child, and his loss.

Australia boy's death reignites focus on LGBT bullying
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-38126373

The bullying started when Tyrone Unsworth was just beginning to understand he was gay. He ignored the taunts as best he could. His favourite saying was "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me". But a month ago, Tyrone was involved in a violent clash - allegedly with another student - outside school. According to his mother, Tyrone required surgery after being hit in the jaw with a fence paling. The attack left him afraid to return to school.

Then last Tuesday, Tyrone took his own life. He was 13

Amanda Unsworth said her son, a boy with bright blue eyes who dreamed of becoming a vet or a fashion designer, had been bullied about his sexuality for years. Classmates at his high school in Brisbane, Australia, called him "fairy", "gay boy" and "f*gg*t".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tyrone's story has ignited passionate debate since it was first reported and widely shared on Friday.

Much discussion surrounded the merits of a controversial Australian education programme, Safe Schools, that aims to stop LGBT bullying in schools. According to its website, Safe Schools is designed to create "safe and supportive school environments for same sex attracted, intersex and gender diverse people by reducing homophobic and transphobic bullying and discrimination in schools".

In March, the Australian government made sweeping changes to the programme after Christian groups and conservative MPs said it raised sexual issues that were inappropriate for teenagers and young children. One Safe Schools opponent, Queensland MP George Christensen, at the time said the programme had been "gutted of all its bad content". However, advocacy groups have maintained it should be expanded, pointing out the suicide rate among same-sex attracted youths remains a cause for concern.

According to depression awareness group Beyond Blue, young LGBT Australians are six times more likely to take their own lives than their peers. Bullying and violence increase the risk of self-harm, it said.

[MORE IN LINK]

Incredible Member

In March, the Australian government made sweeping changes to the programme after Christian groups and conservative MPs said it raised sexual issues that were inappropriate for teenagers and young children.
    How those nutjobs are still able to spread that Abrahamic moralist bullshit in supposedly secular countries (including even ones with no noteworthy Abrahamic history) is utterly beyond my comprehension capability.

You guys I met Kathy Griffin last night! As a gay, ginger, Midwestern native, and struggling comedian it was A DREAM. She asked about my career and was very encouraging.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

That's so cool!

[from the Marvel LGBT+ Appreciation thread]
    X-Men’s Iceman Ongoing Series Creative Team Announced
    http://www.cbr.com/x-mens-iceman-ong...eam-announced/

Over fifty years after his debut, Iceman came out as gay in 2015’s “All-New X-Men” #40, making him one of Marvel’s most prominent LGBT characters — a fact that will be at the center of the new series’ focus on the hero.

“I think the tension of [Bobby recently coming out] is what makes this the most interesting and fun project to work on. Because it means that he’s been keeping something not only from his friends and colleagues, but also from himself,” Sina Grace told Nerdist. “And if you even just look at his powers, it’s always just sort of been there, for the entire history of the Marvel universe. And leaning into it makes working on the character and understanding all the decisions he’s made to date that much more fascinating. And what he does with that information moving forward is going to inform not only his personal life, but also how he sees himself as a hero.”

“[T]his part of his identity is going to effect the people around him, including some of his ex-girlfriends,” Grace continued, explaining that the fact that Bobby has dated women in the past will be explored. “Part of the story and the adventures he has moving forward include the space where he does have a very touching interaction with one of the ladies, and we might have some more sprinkled in when it’s organic to the book. But that’s something that everyone can relate to, when you’re holding onto something for a long time, and that decision can have an impact on everyone around him.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also, interesting comment in a BBC Culture article about Disney princesses...
    http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201...g-new-princess
    Some have taken Elsa’s struggles with her identity and powers as representative of something else entirely, with many seeing parallels with teenagers and adults struggling to accept their sexuality. Could Elsa be Disney’s first lesbian princess? It’s the subject of a campaign that has been endorsed by Idina Menzel, who voices the character. Whether Disney intends to make the rumours a reality in the highly anticipated Frozen 2 remains to be seen, but if they do, it will undoubtedly cause controversy.

"...And if you even just look at his powers, it’s always just sort of been there, for the entire history of the Marvel universe." How is this? Does he mean that Iceman's powers, or the way he used them, subtly indicated that he was gay? Or just that he was hiding something from himself? I might buy the latter, but I'd have a hard time buying the former.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    "...And if you even just look at his powers, it’s always just sort of been there, for the entire history of the Marvel universe." How is this? Does he mean that Iceman's powers, or the way he used them, subtly indicated that he was gay? Or just that he was hiding something from himself? I might buy the latter, but I'd have a hard time buying the former.
    I'm pretty sure he means how Iceman has always held back using the full extent of power reflects the way he's always been insecure about himself.