Page 41 of 550 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141541 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Beige Lantern View Post
    As far as low wage jobs go, gays and lesbians would be hard pressed to find a better place to work than Chik-Fil-A. Their hiring practices have always been inclusive. They ceased all donations to discriminatory groups in 2012. And no, it wasn't just for publicity, seeing as the controversy actually increased its sales (which is really sad, but that's another story). The family that runs Chik-Fil-A is a group of genuinely good people. Closing on Sundays doesn't change that.
    They will NEVER get a penny of my money, and I will continue to speak out against them to any of my friends or co-workers who want to eat there.

http://www.advocate.com/business/201...ionable-giving
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

My experiences at Cracker Barrel have mostly been really bad. Three weekends in a row, someone at my table had cracker wrap and/or trash and then a roach and then a disgusting fake fingernail in some food item. I didn't know they had an anti-gay attitude or I wouldn't have eaten there. I don't think they knew I was gay and all my dinning friends were straight. So either they are telepaths or the place is just disgusting and filthy all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    They will NEVER get a penny of my money, and I will continue to speak out against them to any of my friends or co-workers who want to eat there.

http://www.advocate.com/business/201...ionable-giving
    And I don't fault you one bit for that, or would even suggest you should do any differently. I'm just saying it's not as black-and-white as it's been portrayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    that closed on Sundays would not fly here in the northheast
    ... why?

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    So you think many other examples are more guilty of tokenism? Do you have examples that bother you because of that?
    Geeze, where do I begin? I think one of the worst examples was Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. My gay friends were all really into and I was like "Don't you feel kinda exploited?"

Everyone kept saying how amazing Orphan Black was and while watching the first episode I was like "Oh, another sassy gay friend." Of course, that trope can go both ways on the spectrum, to pretty genuine to just obnoxious. Sarah Silverman had a ton of fun with this in her show, eg. "I'm so gay for you, dude."

Caprica had the massive advantage of being a made up world, conceivably one where GBLTs were always treated with equal respect and freedom. The married couple doesn't talk about oppression because there really hasn't been any. I doubt there are any Pride Days either because they're not necessary. It's kind of a picture of what the world would look like if we simply held all relationships in the same regard, and behold, the sky is not falling.
    Last edited by Beige Lantern; 07-06-2014 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Custodes View Post
    My experiences at Cracker Barrel have mostly been really bad. Three weekends in a row, someone at my table had cracker wrap and/or trash and then a roach and then a disgusting fake fingernail in some food item. I didn't know they had an anti-gay attitude or I wouldn't have eaten there. I don't think they knew I was gay and all my dinning friends were straight. So either they are telepaths or the place is just disgusting and filthy all the time.
    Yeah, I've known a number of people who worked at Cracker Barrel who will tell you their health and hygiene standards are way below par. It's a restaurant designed to get slammed with customers at specific times of day. That doesn't lend itself to care for detail.

BANNED

... why?
    if you're a chain, you best be open 7 days a week, that's just how it is up here

I still don't get it... you can't get your chicken sandwich on Sundays... and that alone will compel you to refuse to get one any other day?

BANNED

I still don't get it... you can't get your chicken sandwich on Sundays... and that alone will compel you to refuse to get one any other day?
    Yup...it's about convenience

I might want a chicken sandwich on Sunday at 3pm, and if I can't get it there, ill go somewhere else and they will get my business from there on in

So it's Friday night.

"Hey, you wanna grab something to eat first?"

"Sure, what are you in the mood for?"

"I was thinking Chik-Fil-A."

"Nah, man, they're not open on Sundays."

This makes no sense!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar87 View Post
    Chick-Fil-A donates money to conservative and christian groups that have anti-gay agendas.
    http://equalitymatters.org/factcheck/201207020001
    Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    Chick-Fil-A and Cracker Barrel.
    both anti-gay super religious owned companies (Chick-Fil-A isn't open on Sundays, as it's God's day of rest).
    (which means, of course, that both of them have "Duck Dynasty" fans as their main customer base these days).
    screw them both, haven't eaten at either in years, and will never again do so.
    Ah, thank-you both for the information. I've never heard of Cracker Barrel (I was in the Midwest and New England mostly, is it a Southern or East coast thing?)

BANNED

theres 2 or 3 Cracker Barrels here in CT

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

So it's Friday night.

"Hey, you wanna grab something to eat first?"

"Sure, what are you in the mood for?"

"I was thinking Chik-Fil-A."

"Nah, man, they're not open on Sundays."

This makes no sense!!!
    I know a guy, and I love this guy, I do, but we went to the same restaurant regularly, at least once every two weeks for over a year. We go one time, they're closed for a death in the family. The guy never wanted to go back there again. He wasn't noticeably mad or anything, but they were closed one time and he didn't want to risk them being closed again.

Which, yes, to me, makes no sense, but then, all of my tableware looks appropriate for an eight year old's tea party. We all have peculiarities.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

One of the several reasons I'm sad Caprica didn't make it beyond first season was the Adama family, specifically the brother who is in a gay marriage. It's not mentioned as anything remotely controversial or even out of the ordinary. It's just there. What's even better is said Adama is a mob guy.
    Caprica was a great series and yea it was cool seeing a character whose gay marriage was not made a big deal of and who was a tough as nails mobster guy.

Quote Originally Posted by pro View Post
    Caprica was a great series and yea it was cool seeing a character whose gay marriage was not made a big deal of and who was a tough as nails mobster guy.
    It's good to hear the series (which I haven't seen) had a prominent LGBT couple; because Battlestar Galactica (one of my favourite series ever) definitely fell into the whole "no gays in the future" problem too many sci-fi suffers. You possibly had an LGBT character in Admiral Caine (Six I wouldn't call a lesbian, she was playing a role and seemed to vocally "no swing that way"). But outside of "possibly" Caine, there weren't any confirmed LGBT characters. Which is a shame, considering how diverse the cast was in other areas.

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 07-10-2014 at 10:35 PM.

BANNED

Caine was lesbian or at the least bi.
    There was also Gaeta, and his boyfriend Hoshi who briefly became admiral when the Galactica attacked the colony.
    And a threesome between Baltar, Six and Three.
    So while they could have done a lot more with gay relationships it wasn't devoid of LGBT characters.

In Caprica Sam Adama was married to a guy. Clarice Willow had husbands and wives.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Ah, thank-you both for the information. I've never heard of Cracker Barrel (I was in the Midwest and New England mostly, is it a Southern or East coast thing?)
    they are all over the South.

their atmosphere is "good ol boy". .so really, it's not too surprising, is it?
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif