Page 410 of 550 FirstFirst ... 310360400406407408409410411412413414420460510 ... LastLast
Results 6,136 to 6,150 of 8245
    Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Scott Lang went to Hell. Mary Marvel. Superman.
    I'm not saying that straight characters haven't gone to Hell or that this storyline in Midnighter and Apollo is homophobic, I'm just saying that the gay man goes to Hell storyline bothered me.

I shouldn't be shocked by this response to gay characters in hell, but I am. It's comic books. I get the logical thought of the implication of gays in hell but this book is even written by a queer writer. I think we have to treat all sexual orientations equally. That is part of my problem with a lot of the gay characters instantly coupled off... Wiccan and Hulking, or Midnighter and Apollo even. I enjoyed the previous Midnighter run so much because we saw Midnighter alone. Characters should be individually developed before they are just shoehorned into a relationship. And gay couples are frequently desexualized; something that this book has not had a problem with. I think nit picking to this degree isn't going to encourage the publishers, which I will assume is lead by heterosexual males, to continue to try to create for our community when we reject something of quality.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

I didnt get any of this, didnt even cross my mind.

It's a story about Neron, who is the DC version of Marvel's Mephisto again, playing tricks, lying and stealing souls.

That's what devil characters do.

I guess I could see the issue if the comic was literally saying 'you are in Hell because you are gay' but it isnt, it's saying Neron has trapped Apollo and Midnighter has to go and rescue him, and he will, because love always beats the devil. It's a very Classical trope.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

What are the biggest concerns of the LGBT community, now that Trump and the Republicans are in control?

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    I shouldn't be shocked by this response to gay characters in hell, but I am. It's comic books. I get the logical thought of the implication of gays in hell but this book is even written by a queer writer. I think we have to treat all sexual orientations equally. That is part of my problem with a lot of the gay characters instantly coupled off... Wiccan and Hulking, or Midnighter and Apollo even. I enjoyed the previous Midnighter run so much because we saw Midnighter alone. Characters should be individually developed before they are just shoehorned into a relationship. And gay couples are frequently desexualized; something that this book has not had a problem with. I think nit picking to this degree isn't going to encourage the publishers, which I will assume is lead by heterosexual males, to continue to try to create for our community when we reject something of quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post

It's a story about Neron, who is the DC version of Marvel's Mephisto again, playing tricks, lying and stealing souls.

I guess I could see the issue if the comic was literally saying 'you are in Hell because you are gay' but it isnt, it's saying Neron has trapped Apollo and Midnighter has to go and rescue him, and he will, because love always beats the devil. It's a very Classical trope.
    Once again I'd like to reiterate that I'm not saying that this storyline is homophobic or that I'm rejecting the series because of it. I was simply agreeing with Silvermoth that this aspect of the story did, personally, bother me a bit. That is all.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post

It's what Neron and Co did in Constantine's title, with John's bf's kids, etc, just last year.

But, if something bothers somebody, it's bothering them. As long as they recognize why and the ins and outs...
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    It's what Neron and Co did in Constantine's title, with John's bf's kids, etc, just last year.

But, if something bothers somebody, it's bothering them. As long as they recognize why and the ins and outs...
    Yeah, totally not possible to not be bothered by a thing after looking at it more objectively.

Not worth discussing anything. Just be bothered/not bothered by everything.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    Once again I'd like to reiterate that I'm not saying that this storyline is homophobic or that I'm rejecting the series because of it. I was simply agreeing with Silvermoth that this aspect of the story did, personally, bother me a bit. That is all.
    Why would it bother you if don't consider it homophobic?
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Why would it bother you if don't consider it homophobic?
    Ugh, God I regret even entering this conversation. I don't consider it homophobic because I don't believe it was the intent of the story to say that Apollo goes to Hell for being gay. However seeing a gay character suffering in Hell inevitably reminds me of the hateful opinions of homophobic people and that bothered me. But honestly I just want to stop talking about this anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    What are the biggest concerns of the LGBT community, now that Trump and the Republicans are in control?
    The biggest concern I've heard (and seen online) is usually marriage equality, but I would also add others like: bathroom bills, business discrimination (where you can be denied service if the owners don't agree with your "lifestyle") funding for HIV/AIDS, etc.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Ugh, God I regret even entering this conversation. I don't consider it homophobic because I don't believe it was the intent of the story to say that Apollo goes to Hell for being gay. However seeing a gay character suffering in Hell inevitably reminds me of the hateful opinions of homophobic people and that bothered me. But honestly I just want to stop talking about this anymore.
    I hate to prolong it, so please don't feel you have to respond, but this reminds me of a Dr Strange arc from the early 90s, in which a lesbian is in Hell and we're given an issue, maybe two, where it seems as if this is supposed to be "justified," before it becomes clear that it's self-loathing/learned-guilt that put her and kept her there.

I remember, even at the time, that arc making me very uncomfortable, because I didn't know how the writer or artist felt, how the publisher felt. I didn't know, for sure, what I was being shown, in terms of a moral or world order.

I can easily imagine the idea, alone, bringing up all the times someone did it badly or uglily, even if this time it wasn't.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

So, am I the only one who thought that Apollo was sent to Hell for the murder that takes place prior to the "New52" Stormwatch?

That's cool. Maybe aqualad I reckon?

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    Personally it's the trans community I'm most worried about but also I'm worried about him empowering bigots again and setting stuff in motion that ends up reversing everyone's rights

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    The biggest concern I've heard (and seen online) is usually marriage equality, but I would also add others like: bathroom bills, business discrimination (where you can be denied service if the owners don't agree with your "lifestyle") funding for HIV/AIDS, etc.
    agreed.

for those of you who are aware of this story, what do you guys think about kim burrell comments calling homosexuality (in the church) a perversion? for those who are a practice one of the three abrahamic religions do you feel homosexuality is a sin?

also she was not allowed on elken, her talk radio show was cancelled, and she is no longer a co-honoree for the BMI award show. Do you think this too much and what does it say for you as it relates to freedom of speech?

I ask this because some of those in the straight community feel a gay agenda is being pushed to normalize things relating to it. I am curious to see what your thoughts are, if any, on this topic.