Page 42 of 550 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292142542 ... LastLast

This happened in my little corner of the world

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-28206581

It's more of the same really.

Extraordinary Member

I just wanna say people, recently I've been looking more into religion and I am pleased to discover that one of my local churches supports the LGTB community! As someone who is straight, I find it disgusting that in this day & age, we're STILL making change. It shouldn't even be considered.

BANNED

I just wanna say people, recently I've been looking more into religion and I am pleased to discover that one of my local churches supports the LGTB community!

As someone who is straight, I find it disgusting that in this day & age, we're STILL making change. It shouldn't even be considered.
    These two statements are contradictory.

Maybe not so much contradictory as poorly worded. I THINK DebkoX meant to say it's disgusting that we're still working on getting Christianity to accept gays, and that sexuality shouldn't even be a consideration when accepting someone into a church.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by pro View Post
    Caine was lesbian or at the least bi.
    She was implied lesbian or at-least bi, it wasn't ever confirmed (actually was it in Razor? -- i.e. a kiss)

There was also Gaeta, and his boyfriend Hoshi who briefly became admiral when the Galactica attacked the colony.
    Huh??? Why do I have no memory of this??? I love Gaeta, how do I not know this???

And a threesome between Baltar, Six and Three.
    I hardly think that makes either Six or Three bi; the threesome was very much Baltar centric.

So while they could have done a lot more with gay relationships it wasn't devoid of LGBT characters.
    They could have done a lot more, considering LGBT characters were (at best) an after-thought. Considering how brilliant they were with other forms of diversity (gender and race), it's a shame they failed so miserably with LGBT. But this is nothing new for sci-fi sadly (RE: Star Trek's 100+ plus main characters, none LGBT).

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    they are all over the South.
    their atmosphere is "good ol boy". .so really, it's not too surprising, is it?
    Ah, I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
    This happened in my little corner of the world
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-28206581
    It's more of the same really.
    This reminds me so much of the B&B that refused to allow the gay couple to stay there. I just cannot fathom how people don't understand their prejudice is not allowed (or welcome) in a workplace. If the owners refused to make a cake about Black History Month or a Woman's Right to Choose; no-one of any note would try and defend it. For some reason some still do defend it when it's against the LGBT community.

BANNED

Andre Braugher (who plays an openly gay NYPD captain in Brooklyn 99) has been nominated for an Emmy

22. Sagittarius. Time Like Lightning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Maybe not so much contradictory as poorly worded. I THINK DebkoX meant to say it's disgusting that we're still working on getting Christianity to accept gays, and that sexuality shouldn't even be a consideration when accepting someone into a church.
    The fact that my dear old Catholic Church still won't get down with the LGBT+ crowd really doesn't surprise me considering it's the 21st century and it still won't ordain women.

Also, if anyone's in need of something to read, check out "Tipping the Velvet" by Sarah Waters. Romance novel in Victorian London with lesbian romances, drag kings, and exploration of gender identity. Not sure how I'd classify the lead (and narrator) as far as that last point goes, given that A) I haven't finished the book and B) a lot of the terms we've got nowadays didn't exist then for her to use. Anyways, give it a go. I also read "The Picture of Dorian Grey" b/c I heard it was hella gay, and it IS hella gay. 1890s coded gay, but gay nonetheless.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.
    The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."

He/him/his pronouns.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    Andre Braugher (who plays an openly gay NYPD captain in Brooklyn 99) has been nominated for an Emmy
    I saw him as Claudius in Shakespeare in the Park's Hamlet... he was awful. But that's good to see his character's been nominated.

That said, the EMMY's have even better LGBT praise worth news.

Openly gay actor Jim Parsons is double nominated for Best Actor in a Comedy Series (Big Bang Theory) AND Best Actor in a Made-for-TV Movie (the Normal Heart). Openly gay actor Matt Bomer is also nominated for the Normal Heart (where both Parsons and Bomer play gay characters). In fact the Normal Heart (about HIV in the gay community) received 8 Emmy nominations including Best TV Movie and Best Writing for Larry Kramer (openly gay playwright who adapted his own play).

Openly gay actor Jesse Tyler Ferguson is nominated for Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series (Modern Family) again where his character is gay. Modern Family scooped 7 nominations, including one for Nathan Lane (also an openly gay actor) as Best Guest Actor in a Comedy Series (SOOOOOOOOO happy for this one, he was brilliant in "the Wedding Part I & II).

And then we have Orange is the New Black; which saw transgender Laverne Cox nominated for Best Guest Actress in a Comedy Series. The show gained 8 nominations, INCLUDING Best Director for the now out goddess Jodie Foster.

And... on a completely non-LGBT note = F*CK YES!!! Kate Mulgrew is nominated for Best Supporting Actress in Orange is the New Black AND my beloved Allison Janney is nominated TWICE (Supporting Actress in a Comedy for Mom and Guest Actress in a Drama Series for Masters of Sex). She's so brilliantly versatile!

Quote Originally Posted by Time Like Lightning View Post
    The fact that my dear old Catholic Church still won't get down with the LGBT+ crowd really doesn't surprise me considering it's the 21st century and it still won't ordain women.
    BUT... times they are a changing. The Pope is now the most liberal Pope on record over LGBT issues, a group of Catholic nuns in America are fighting for gay rights, many churches in England are becoming very accepting of homosexuality. Things are improving every year, and THAT is worth celebrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Like Lightning View Post
    I also read "The Picture of Dorian Grey" b/c I heard it was hella gay, and it IS hella gay. 1890s coded gay, but gay nonetheless.
    Really loved the Picture of Dorian Gray, wonderfully haunting tale... though obviously sad that parts of it were used at Oscar Wilde's trial as evidence to convict him.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 07-10-2014 at 11:24 PM.

*Clutches Pearls* LeonardEugenius's Avatar

Free slurpees at 7/11 today!

For DC fans...

Batgirl Will Have ‘More LGBT Characters Than Ever Before
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07/...n-ever-before/

One of the many things the Batgirl comic, under Gail Simone, accomplished was the emergence of a regular transgender character in a mainstream superhero comic. No superpowers, just a life. But what future for Alysia in Batgirl now that Gail Simone has left? Well, we assured that the character would still be around, just no longer Barbara Gordon’s flatmate.

But we got another assurance…

[MORE IN LINK]

I disagree with the "yellow face" comparison, it's NOT the same thing (not even remotely). But other than that, good read.

Laverne Cox's actress Emmy nod puts trans people in bigots' living rooms
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...sgender-people

History was made on Thursday morning when the 2014 Primetime Emmy Award nominations were announced: they included one for Laverne Cox as Best Guest Actress. Cox, who plays Sophia Burset on Orange is the New Black, is the first out transgender woman to be nominated for an acting Emmy.

Cox is certainly deserving of the nomination: she brings a depth and humanity to the role that is more than what's in the script. Sophia's interactions with her wife and fight to get the medical care she needed were powerful moments, and it's fantastic to see the Emmys take notice.

Cox's celebrity has been met with some bigoted responses. So, given the occasional fool in the media, like Kevin D Williamson who still thinks that Cox's gender should be up for debate, it's nice to see the Emmys committee underscore that Cox is a woman nominated as an actress, full stop.

It's a big deal that Cox was nominated for playing a trans woman and is a trans woman, but it shouldn't be. Jared Leto, who is a man, won a Golden Globe and an Oscar this year for playing a trans woman in Dallas Buyers Club – leading many of us in the trans community to worry that Hollywood was going to continue to pat cisgender people on the back for their "bravery" for playing trans women. Leto won for playing what many consider to be a tired, dangerous, and dehumanizing stereotype of a trans woman and, as I argued at the time, by being nominated for and accepting these awards, he perpetuated the stereotype that trans women are just men in drag.

And though Hollywood is routinely excoriated in this day and age for dressing up white actors in "yellow face" (let along black face), Dallas Buyers Club director Jean-Marc Vallée, when asked if he ever considered casting a trans woman to play a trans woman, responded, "Never. [Are] there any transgender actors? I'm not aiming for the real thing. I'm aiming for an experienced actor who wants to portray the thing."

[MORE IN LINK]

BANNED

Dallas Buyers Club director Jean-Marc Vallée, when asked if he ever considered casting a trans woman to play a trans woman, responded, "Never. [Are] there any transgender actors? I'm not aiming for the real thing. I'm aiming for an experienced actor who wants to portray the thing."
    DBC was Oscar bait, so I understand wanting to get a specific type of actor to portray the role, and not to diminish Ms Cox or any other trans actor/actress, but if he got an unknown to play that role, no Oscar nod

DBC was Oscar bait, so I understand wanting to get a specific type of actor to portray the role, and not to diminish Ms Cox or any other trans actor/actress, but if he got an unknown to play that role, no Oscar nod
    I think that's a little harsh. For one, unknowns HAVE gotten Oscar noms (Jaye Davidson, an openly bisexual actor, was completely unknown when he was nominated for playing transvestite Dil in the Crying Game (1992)).

The fact of the matter is the film NEEDED big name actors, because it was an unknown director telling a story about an unknown person. They needed big name draws. I often dislike the whole "Oscar bait" mentality. To me "Oscar bait" is when a film tries to tick all the boxes to make people want to nominate it, without actually earning any of it; or put in moments to intentionally tug on heart strings despite it not being necessary. The performances in DBC EARNED their wins; so it cannot be "Oscar bait" (in my eyes). Yes tragic stories often get Oscar noms... and? Tragic stories often make up the list of "greatest plays ever written." There's a whole thesis on how "you need a sad ending for it to be seen a true art." Just because it is about Aids, doesn't make it "Oscar bait"; that's actually a little offensive. Imply no-one would have any other reason to want to tell this story than win awards.

I only consider things that fail to be "Oscar bait." For example, Saving Mr. Banks (2013) was "Oscar bait" (excluding Thompson's wonderful performance); DBC was not. It was just an incredibly well made film, with some career best performances in its stars.

BANNED

I disagree, and I enjoyed DBC, but I do consider it Oscar bait

on the other hand, a film like 'Behind The Candelabra' had a phenomenal cast and phenomenal performances and should have gotten a theatrical release and Oscar nods

I disagree, and I enjoyed DBC, but I do consider it Oscar bait
    Because...?

on the other hand, a film like 'Behind The Candelabra' had a phenomenal cast and phenomenal performances and should have gotten a theatrical release and Oscar nods
    Agreed, Michael Douglas was... MY GOD! I would never in a million years have cast him as Liberace, but he was incredible. I stopped seeing the actor and ONLY saw Liberace. Pleased he got the EMMY, SAG and Golden Globe... but yeah, it was bad form why he couldn't get an Oscar nod. Pleased it was released in Britain as a film.