Page 431 of 550 FirstFirst ... 331381421427428429430431432433434435441481531 ... LastLast
Results 6,451 to 6,465 of 8245
    Incredible Member

Since they were brought up not all that long ago, my ranking of the Netflix Marvel shows (they're all close, though):
    Daredevil S1 (no noteworthy flaws whatsoever)
    Jessica Jones S1 (for a private investigator in need of money she did disappointingly few private investigations)
    Luke Cage S1 (only hampered by that bloody awful Luke/Claire romance, but severely so; what the **** was wrong with a friendship?!)
    Daredevil S2 (the Punisher plot was great, but the Hand plot was meh incarnate outside Elektra herself and their romance flashbacks)
    Iron Fist S1 (the fighting actually isn't remotely as bad as people make it out to be, but the whole 'abduct Gao out of "China" on a private jet' thread in the middle was fucking ridiculous, and Joy's sudden switch to vengeful villainy in her very last scene utterly unbelievable - plus, he needs his costume)
    Death's Head, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, House of X, Powers of X.
    Ascender, DIE, Saga, The Wicked + The Divine.
    Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman Beyond, Catwoman, Lois Lane, Naomi, Young Justice.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by twincast View Post
    Since they were brought up not all that long ago, my ranking of the Netflix Marvel shows (they're all close, though):
    Daredevil S1 (no noteworthy flaws whatsoever)
    Jessica Jones S1 (for a private investigator in need of money she did disappointingly few private investigations)
    Luke Cage S1 (only hampered by that bloody awful Luke/Claire romance, but severely so; what the **** was wrong with a friendship?!)
    Daredevil S2 (the Punisher plot was great, but the Hand plot was meh incarnate outside Elektra herself and their romance flashbacks)
    Iron Fist S1 (the fighting actually isn't remotely as bad as people make it out to be, but the whole 'abduct Gao out of "China" on a private jet' thread in the middle was fucking ridiculous, and Joy's sudden switch to vengeful villainy in her very last scene utterly unbelievable - plus, he needs his costume)
    Yeah that thing with Joy at the end made absolutely no sense.

Quick note from a preview of The Wild Storm #3...

According to what Ivana says, Miles is married.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    Yeah that thing with Joy at the end made absolutely no sense.
    It would have made more sense if she hadn't find out Harold had set up Danny and got pissed at him on the same episode lol. Is like the writers don't even think about what's happening next when writing certain scenes.

I didn't know this but a Korean artist came out fairly recently (in the sense that he was already out but now he's out to the music industry) and his music is really good! Give him a listen. His name is flash flood darlings. He's comparable to troye sivan or olly Alexander

Anyone here heard of the term T.E.R.F. recently?
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Anyone here heard of the term T.E.R.F. recently?
    If you are talking about what I think you are talking about, I have heard it come up a couple of times over the last couple of years.

After I realized that it might not be someone's idea of really dark humor, I tried to forget I had heard about it.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    If you are talking about what I think you are talking about, I have heard it come up a couple of times over the last couple of years.

After I realized that it might not be someone's idea of really dark humor, I tried to forget I had heard about it.
    I've never heard it until today; suddenly all of PinkNews articles seem to be using it??? I guess it's the new mansplaining (another word I had never heard until suddenly it seemed to be in every article I read).
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Unfortunately, it's been around for longer than that.

Searching "Cathy Brennan" and the term should yield results that shed some light while making a person angry.

This new Gaga song is very....early 00s Mariah. The single art gives me Madonna's Ray of Light. Either way I'm here for it.

She's definitely learned how to write catchy choruses again.
    Batgirl - ...BOP - Batman - 'Tec - Nightwing - Supergirl - Titans - Wonder Woman

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Anyone else seen (the final? AGAIN!) Studio Ghibli film When Marnie Was There (2016), which was nominated for Best Animated Feature at the Oscars. Just finished it, will put my review up tomorrow, but NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I feel it was writing a cheque it refused to cash

Quote Originally Posted by BatGlamorous View Post
    This new Gaga song is very....early 00s Mariah. The single art gives me Madonna's Ray of Light. Either way I'm here for it.

She's definitely learned how to write catchy choruses again.
    Yeah I like it. Bit of a return to form I reckon after Joanne which was not my thing

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Anyone else seen (the final? AGAIN!) Studio Ghibli film When Marnie Was There (2016), which was nominated for Best Animated Feature at the Oscars. Just finished it, will put my review up tomorrow, but NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I feel it was writing a cheque it refused to cash
    That's a shame, I haven't seen that yet. I did see your name which was a fantastic movie!

I also saw beauty and the beast which was excellent. Made me want to see a gay version, even if it's super cheap. I think it would actually deepen the story. I can see Gaston as an Instagram loving #twinksfortrump type guy

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    That's a shame, I haven't seen that yet.
    As promised my review from my movie thread on CBR
    http://community.comicbookresources....lms-quot/page7
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WHEN MARNIE WAS THERE (2014)
    dir. Hiromasa Yonebayashi
    writer. adapted from Joan G. Robinson's 1967 novel of the same name
    Voice Talent: Hailee Steinfeld, Kiernan Shipka, Geena Davies, John C. Reilly, Kathy Bates and Ellen Burstyn

ONE SENTENCE SYNOPSIS: 12 year old introvert Anna Sasaki (Steinfeld) lives in Sapporo with her foster parents, until her asthma and panic attacks get so bad she is sent away to a rural, seaside town; where ghosts live in dilapidated mansions across the marsh...

THOUGHTS: I don't get it, I don't get why they built an entire film around a concept they sabotage in the final minutes??? Nominated for the Oscar for Best Animated Feature two year ago, this was supposed to be a coming of age film, about a young girl accepting her true feelings for another girl. It starts with her panic attacks at school, envious of the girls hanging out with one another, repeating phrases like "I wish for a normal life everyday" in her head. Later, after being sent away, she is confronted by a group of popular girls who say "you look like just what you are" as we watch our heroine rush off crying; screaming in her head "JUST WHAT I AM!!!". But all is okay, she meets a lovely girl in a mysterious, ghostly apparition house; and we get treated to countless scenes with the following dialogue repeated over and over in various ways: "In my dreams I saw a girl, just like you" (she blushes). "I love you more than any girl I've ever known", "Didn’t you know, you’re my secret? You're my precious secret", “You remember I said last night that you were my secret? I knew just what you meant. You’re mine" and "Promise me Anna, that we'll remain a secret forever." Add to those snippets of dialogue a scene where Anna becomes insanely jealous of Marnie dancing with a boy, and refuses to calm down until Marnie takes her aside, and they dance together in secret outside; and a pivotal scene where Anna quite literally takes the physical place of Marnie's betrothed, sheltering and protecting her in the present, the way Marnie's fiancee did so in the past. SO NORMAL, RIGHT!!!! Ugh! This film wrote one giant cheque and when it came time to cash it in, it bounced; it... bounced... HARD! And it's all I can think about when it comes to reviewing this movie. And that's a shame, it's from the director of the Secret World of Arietty (2010), a wonderful Studio Ghibli film, and one of the few worthy to sit just under Miyizaki's unsurpassable features. The music, the voice talent, the animation, all exquisite. That's why story is so important to Studio Ghibli films, because the quality of everything else is so high, we need plot to differentiate the films. When Marnie Was There is just... ugh! The story makes no sense! Why must she be a secret, if it's platonic? Why is Anna paranoid what people will think of her? (though I will add maybe the importance/genuine social shame of blue eyes is "lost in translation" into a Western audience). What were the writers thinking when Anna got jealous at Marnie dancing with a boy? Why make such a point of supplanting her in the fiances place in the old mill? Fundamentally I don't understand this plot, if the two aren't trying to hide anything from anyone, if nothing must be kept a secret, why are we told repeatedly of this urgency in secrecy? The struggle of foster parents/mother issues comes as an after-thought, it doesn't feel like a satisfying conclusion, because little up to that point has implied the narrative was exploring that issue. I never got the impression the panic attacks were about that, I never felt the bond between Anna and Marnie was due to her displaced feelings of not knowing her grandmother. It felt... disingenuous as a finale. Now a similar situation happened in From Up Poppy Hill (another Ghibli gem); where the bulk of the film spends time crafting an idea that, in the last moments, is erases as a possibility. Though I'd argue with two major difference at play: firstly, that film is NOT about the incestuous love, it's ultimately about a girl missing her father, and trying to supplement that longing for a father figure by this bond with another man in her life. So the 180 of "he's not ACTUALLY your brother" didn't effect the story's overall motivator and apex. Secondly, incestuous representation isn't (to my knowledge) something anyone is clamoring for, nor are they a minority group (in a social construct), so removing that plot, while detrimental to the effort within the story, doesn't come with the same emotion stab that When Marnie Was There delivers. Take out the blossoming romance, and this plot... is sort of adrift. So why make such a no-nothing concept into a film? I just don't get it...

OVERALL
    In line to become (arguably) the most beautiful LGBT+ animated film of all time... until the entire film nose dived for a "safe" (and irrelevant) conclusion, along the same lines of From Up Poppy Hill (2011). It's hard to say I enjoyed a film that left such a sour taste in my mouth; but it was enchanting until that moment (even if the story is basically a lesbian version of Il Mare (2000)).
    ~ rating: 3 out of 5 [grade: C+]

Can I ask what people think of the Liberal Democrat leader in the UK taking TWO YEARS to say whether he thought gay sex was a sin? I'm amazing the most "liberal" party in the UK had someone like that as the leader. On Sunday he was asked 11 times in 3 minutes if he thought it was a sin, and dodged in each and every time. And finally on the BBC said (two years after being asked) said "I don't think gay sex is a sin."

Tim Farron: I don't think gay sex is a sin
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39703444

Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron says he does not believe gay sex is a sin, following questions about his views on the subject. Mr Farron said political leaders should not "pontificate on theological matters". But he said it had become "an issue" and that he wanted the focus to be on the general election.

He has recently been asked repeatedly in media interviews to clarify his views, but had not answered directly. In an interview with BBC political correspondent Eleanor Garnier, he said he did not "want to get into a series of questions unpicking the theology of the Bible". But he acknowledged it had "become an issue", and did not want people getting the "wrong impression" about his views.

"I don't believe that gay sex is a sin," he said. "I take the view though that as a political leader, my job is not to pontificate on theological matters." Mr Farron said that with a general election campaign under way, it was important to be talking about "big issues" like health and social care and Brexit. "I am quite careful about how I talk about my faith. I do not bang on about it, I do not make a secret out of it," he said. "On reflection, it makes sense to actually answer this direct question since it's become an issue."

He also said the Lib Dems had "undoubtedly the best record" on gay rights out of all political parties. As well as questions from the media about his views on gay sex, Mr Farron was also asked last week by Conservative MP Nigel Evans in Parliament whether he believed being gay was a sin.

"I do not," he replied.

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 04-26-2017 at 04:37 AM.

Urgh that's ridiculous. How long did he think he could get away without answering the question? Still want to see when marine was there. There was a ghibli convention near me recently and I was keen to go but for some reason it was on 10pm which is a weird time for a convention like that