Page 472 of 550 FirstFirst ... 372422462468469470471472473474475476482522 ... LastLast
Results 7,066 to 7,080 of 8245
    BANNED

Even more sad that he's deflecting the allegations by coming out. More ammo for the 'all gays are pedos' folk.

In my opinion the best lgbt comic that marvel is putting is Generation X, i would dare to say that the best characters there are both Lgbt (morph and bling!), the comic has been dealing with issues of self esstem and confidence in one self, while these subjects have been explore before is nice to see the way the writer use them on these characters.

Iceman would be second best for me, i like the way iceman coming out to his parents has been dealt but the adventures and he had had feel like filler and i dont find it that spectacular.

And America would be the last and worst one for me, i will just say everytime i see the word "latinx" in thay book i cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    Comparing Michael Burnham to one of the definitions of a Mary Sue that I found on TVTropes.org, and after watching the most recent episode, I can definitely see now why you would think she is a Mary Sue. She pretty much checks off all of the boxes. The only one she leaves empty is the one where everyone, even the really surly "I'm grumpy to others" character (can't spell his name but he's played by Anthony Rapp) likes her. Outside of the cheery cadet, who I happen to like lol, she's not really liked/loved on the ship. Those characters who don't care for her are not portrayed unsympathetically, either.
    Personally I disagree! She's already instantly liked by the security officer. Saru is constantly telling her he can't help but distrust her even thought she's brilliant and awesome and the best at everything. And there was that line about how she's already one of the Captain's favourites (and he told the security guy to protect her or not bother coming back). Oh and despite her gruff exterior, she's also the only one able to put up with and like the cadet, just in case we weren't aware her heart beats gold.

It's just all too much. She is already the focus, she gets the gold star. The writer's need to RELAX with her character. People will love her, just stop forcing it. She didn't need to correct and outsmart the science guy IN OUR FIRST MEETING OF HIM, proving the hierarchy of intelligence. She didn't need to get that telescope, reminding us again how loved she was and Georgiou's favourite. She didn't need to be more dedicated to Vulcan life than Spock. Or defeat Sarak in his own mind. Or get the kill blow on the main villain (it would have been REALLY NICE if Georgiou got it, as one last hurrah). Or tolerate the cadet better than anyone. Or be the most moral about the space jumping monster. It's all... too... much. The show is already not an ensemble, it's about her. That's fine, she's the catalyst for the war, I get it. Make it about her; go with it baby! But it needs to stop placing her above the other cast in terms of skill. You can be the lead and still not be the best at everything, over everyone. Those aren't necessarily mutually symbiotic things.

I get it, it's Star Trek, everyone is "kind of the best" in their field. But not the best is EVERY field. Troi was no fighter. Worf was no brain surgeon. I think the show needs to start showing what everyone does BETTER than Michael AS-to-the-AP! Because the actress's natural charm and talent won't protect her character from becoming truly disliked unless she starts showing serious flaws (i.e. not "I love too much flaws"). Hell, even Wesley was never implied to be a great fighter. Friggin' WESLEY!

Part of the reason I am so reluctant to label her a Mary Sue is because I find Sonequa Martin-Green so likable in the role.
    That's one of the reasons I'm calling it out, the actress is so good, and so pretty... she deserves better than to have the writers continue to paint her into this unlikeable box.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I try not to use the term Mary Sue anymore. It just seems pointless.
    Only because it's been incorrectly used on too many characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Captain America is technically a Mary Sue and apparently so I Mario.
    Cap is totally a Mary Sue under some writers. That was what I liked so much about Brubaker's Cap, he stopped being a Mary Sue. Mario as in Super Mario??? I never assumed computer game characters like that could be Mary Sues.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Obama was a total Mary Sue in hindsight.
    Real life people can't be Mary Sues. They can just be awesome, like Obama
    ---

So, for my college English class we're doing argumentative essays/research papers and I've decided to do mine on the inclusion of LGBTQ+ figures in non-collegiate history books. (Technically, we are already in them, but, unless you know intimate details about the life of Alexander the Great through other texts, you are sure as hell not going to learn them in high school)
    I love this as an essay/speech idea. Yes, I think people should be taught about LGBT+ heroes in the gay rights movement BUT they also need to be taught about (already very famous) people who are LGBT+ just never mentioned (Shakespeare, Michelangelo, Leonardo, Tchaikovsky). I did recently learn a huge ISU alum George Washington Carver was LGBT+. Very cool. I saw statues of him all over campus (though his sexuality of course never came up, typical).

Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post
    In my opinion the best lgbt comic that marvel is putting is Generation X, i would dare to say that the best characters there are both Lgbt (morph and bling!), the comic has been dealing with issues of self esstem and confidence in one self, while these subjects have been explore before is nice to see the way the writer use them on these characters.

Iceman would be second best for me, i like the way iceman coming out to his parents has been dealt but the adventures and he had had feel like filler and i dont find it that spectacular.
    Love both those comics. Generation X... FINALLY a X-kids book I can enjoy. It's been a while. And Iceman is hitting all the feels. Can't wait for sexy, sexy Daken to be back...

I mean the metaphor here is palatable

I'm liking "America" (the comic book) better and better. That whole "let's cross George Perez' Wonder Woman with Love and Rockets" may still be a bit more ambitious than the writer is up to, but the issue with Hawkeye was a lot of fun.
    Gave up after the first issue, it was such a massive misfire for me. Pity. I loved Gillen's America. Wish he was writing it.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 10-31-2017 at 02:53 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Gave up after the first issue, it was such a massive misfire for me. Pity. I loved Gillen's America. Wish he was writing it.
    Yep. I couldn't get on board either.

I guess I see M.A.C. and Daken as Vertigo characters that DC keeps insisting on using in the mainstream DCU.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post

Try the issue with Kate in it. It got much better IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Yep. I couldn't get on board either.
    No offense, but you're pretty much the opposite of the kind of reader "America" is aiming for, so that is not surprising.

No offense, but you're pretty much the opposite of the kind of reader "America" is aiming for, so that is not surprising.
    Yeah 30, you need a high IQ to understand the marvelous and gorgeous work that is America!

Lol

Yeah 30, you need a high IQ to understand the marvelous and gorgeous work that is America!

Lol
    That is not what I said. Stop trying to get me banned. That's trolling.

That is not what I said. Stop trying to get me banned. That's trolling.
    I would ask how i am trying to get you ban but we would end up derailing the thread, so lets leave it like that.

I would ask how i am trying to get you ban but we would end up derailing the thread, so lets leave it like that.
    It's quick to explain:
    You portrayed my post as saying that #30 was dumb. Which is not what I meant at all.

Incredible Member

Try the issue with Kate in it. It got much better IMHO.
    Meh.The action was fun.But Kate's little speech plus River appearly forgeting that America is supposed to be invulnerable soured the issue for me.

Oh btw Kieran if you are still looking forward for LGBT politicians around the world i found a possible one in South America.

https://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudia_López_Hernández

She lesbian and the candidate for the Green party in Colombia and she has been working to fight corruption in goverment, for example lowering the salaries of congressmen/women which was a hot topic this year.

2 elections ago the green party candidate almost get the presidency, his candidate went to a second round but lost by 13%, she might do better sincer her party wasnt involve in any scandal.

I see, understanding sarcasm is a lost art.
    Last edited by mojotastic; 10-31-2017 at 06:35 AM.

To change the tone... it's time for Kieran Frost to once again shamelessly PLUG my CBR film thread, with an LGBT+ review. I can't remember who here recommended this film to me, but thank-you. ALSO... to plug someone else (easy now) LGBT+ work, does anyone here follow thePinkLens on Instagram? I love their dedication to exploring and celebrating LGBT+ actors, directors, writers and cinema.
    http://community.comicbookresources....lms-quot/page8

THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT (2010) [nom.]
    dir. Lisa Cholodenko
    writers. Lisa Cholodenko & Stuart Blumberg [nom.]
    Starring: Annette Bening [nom.], Julianne Moore, Mia Wasikowska, Josh Hutcherson and Mark Ruffalo [nom.]

ONE SENTENCE SYNOPSIS: Joni (Wasikowska) has just turned 18, and her younger brother (Hutcherson) asks her (as she is now an adult) to contact the sperm bank and find out who their donor is... unknown to their mothers...

THOUGHTS: I was briefly worried that this film would rub me the wrong way; the intro is very try-hard. Drugs, loud music, eye rolling; an exceedingly unoriginal way to quickly convey strife within teenagers BUT luckily that was merely a poor choice for a 'flashy' opening, because the rest of the film is lovely. It's not an easy subject to explore, but that actually makes it quite exciting. In many ways it's a standard film about an affair, it's a simple, tried-and-tested plot. What makes it unique is the (often) unspoken psychology behind the characters, and I love that in any film. We don't get simple conclusions or answers, we don't have everything perfectly resolved. We're left with questions and allowed to form our own conclusions, which is always the bolder (and therefore braver) choice. Now I know there was some controversy at the time of this release, around the idea a lesbian enjoying heterosexual sex, but I feel the film explores this concept well. It's not str8-washing; merely working on the idea of some people's sexuality being more fluid. Was she bisexual? Was she a 5 rather than a 6 on the Kinsey scale? It isn't confirmed, and in truth it doesn't matter too much because she is not the heart of the story: Nic is! And Annette Bening DE-LIV-ERS!!! Much like Sean Penn in Milk (2008) it's not easy to embody that... hmmmm, how to say this tactfully... more "conventional" aspects of a gay man, without letting it slip into caricature, or stereotype. It's a tightrope walk, and Penn masterfully managed it; and so does Bening. She sits legs spread, she holds the fork from above, she leans back with her hand near the crotch, she holds her jaw tight, she is just such a convincing... butch lesbian. And I know, it's akin to stereotypes, maybe you have to see the film to understand but the difference is in the nuances. It's believable. It's well researched. And it is just... TRUE! Stereotypes are based on some truth, Sean Penn had a lisp, he had limp wrists, but the performance is so much more than that, and the same is true here. Bening isn't "just" playing butch lesbian, but she also doesn't forget who her character is, she doesn't drop the strong detail when she has to cry, shout, silently judge. It's a difficult, beautiful performance and she absolutely deserved to win the Oscar over Natalie Portman in Black Swan (2010) (and the fact Bening didn't win was a major misstep by the Academy). And in general I would say the entire ensemble is very impressive. The only other time I've come across Cholodenko's work was the HBO mini-series Olive Kitteridge; which also displayed strong ensemble performances; so credit where it's due: Cholodenko delivers when it comes to teasing out the layers in her cast. Initially I was... surprised... that Ruffalo was nominated. But the more I thought about it, the more I realised how incredibly difficult his role was; he had to be charismatic and likeable in the first half AND THEN (WITHOUT CHANGING DRASTICALLY) be unsympathetic and even a little pathetic. That is not easy to do, without carting out some last minute douchebag attitude (which would have been false for the character). So I applaud his work. I don't know if I'd rank this as quintessential LGBT+ viewing; it's certainly challenging (and remains one of the few LGBT+ films to be up for Best Picture), but ultimately take away the sexuality of the characters and it's a little... tepid. Outside of the performances, nothing stands out. Brokeback Mountain (2005) had (on-top of amazing performances) gorgeous cinematography, evocative directing and that sombre, old-time score that made it truly special. The Kids Are All Right... just has Annette Bening.

OVERALL
    Not a ground-breaking drama on the surface, but a very curious subject, championed by an excellent ensemble (lead by a truly exquisite performance from Annett Bening). I didn't find exploration of the subject offensive in-of-itself, partly because it was so respectfully handled (partly because of HOW the story concluded). A very worthy film, but strip everything away it's just a family drama dealing with an affair. Next.
    ~ rating: 3 out of 5 [grade: B]

"We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

BANNED

All I remember from that movie is Mark Ruffalo's butt