Page 49 of 550 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999149549 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Next thing, they'll get upset about thespians.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    good read about GaymerX, inclusivity, and the expense of running a convention if you're not a media giant

http://kotaku.com/the-best-games-con...-mo-1610589647
    That was a good story, I'm glad the author answered the aquaintance who tried to act like LGBT people were being exclusive
    "It's just a little hypocritical, is all," says an acquaintance as I try to describe why I had such a great time at GaymerX. "I mean, there's all this talk about inclusivity and they go and rope themselves off, make their own thing?"

"It's just a little hypocritical, is all."

"Well, no," I reply. "It was meant to be open to everyone. That's why I liked it so much. It was definitely directed at gay people, but it celebrated everybody. There was just kind of... a branding problem. And yeah, it wasn't totally perfect, but it was still pretty great."

For some reason minorities of any type who just want to prop each other up are then branded as excluding people but if the whole world media revolves around white-straight-dudes that's not exclusive? It's too bad they don't have the backing that other cons have but I know from some festival volunteer work that kind of thing is always so hit-and-miss.

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    Next thing, they'll get upset about thespians.
    "Wasn't Danny Thomas one?"
    "That's Lebanese, Blanche"

If anyone's ever wondered what cisgender privilege looks like
    Protests Mount Against Michfest Music Festival That Excludes Trans Women
    It's kind of sad to see the only thing uniting gay and straight "womyn" is a shared hatred for trans-women. The comments are so ignorant.
    I guess that's Michigan, even the liberals are fairly conservative.

Saw How To Train Your Dragon 2; it was AWESOME! And I didn't know the director (Dean deBlois) is openly gay.

[from wiki] He told The Advocate that people in the industry "knew that one of us was gay" but mistakenly assumed it was his straight screenwriting partner, because DeBlois "hobbled in there looking like a redneck."

I could be wrong... but I think he outed one of the characters in the film.
    spoilers:
    Craig Ferguson who plays Stoick's best friend, Gobber the Belch says at one point (paraphrasing) "that's one of the reasons I never got married" THEN WINKS AT HICCUP "that and another one."
    end of spoilers
    Now it's entirely possible that I missed the joke, or am interpreting it wrong. He could have meant to liked being a player too much, he could have meant "because I smell" or "I'm ugly, women don't want me." BUT... I don't know. Learning the director is gay, and remembering at the time thinking that was an odd moment. Who knows?

Don't tell too many people, we don't want those crazy "One Million Moms" (who boycotted Frozen (2013)) to hear this theory

EDIT - HA!!!!! Oh, this fills me with joy: turns out I'm not the only person who thought this... AND BEST OF ALL... the director confirmed it WAS an outing!

'How to Train Your Dragon 2': Is Gobber really gay?
    http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/06/1...-2-gobber-gay/

In the new sequel, which reunites Hiccup’s parents, Gobber lets slip that settling down with a good woman was never in the cards for him. As Hiccup’s father Stoick (Gerard Butler) has his first little quarrel with Hiccup’s mother Valka (Cate Blanchett), Gobber mutters, “This is why I never married. This and one other reason.”

When Dragon 2 premiered at Cannes last month, audiences raised an eyebrow at the remark. Had battling dragons cost Gobber an appendage even more important than his arm and leg? Or… is Gobber gay?

It’s the latter. Ferguson ad-libbed the second part of the line, and director Dean DeBlois chose to keep it in. “The nice thing that Craig brought to it is, it’s such a hand-off line that I think for the older members of the audience, it’ll take them a moment to realize, like, ‘Did he just say what I think he said?'” says DeBlois. “And then you’re moving on. [The movie] treats it like normalcy, and that’s what I really like about it. Because I’m a gay man, and I don’t draw attention to myself for that reason. It’s just a fact of who I am, and the way the world is, and it’s nice to treat it as just a passing notion that isn’t something that people have to get so up in arms about. I think it makes people chuckle, and in every test screening we’ve had, it’s always gone over really well. I know there are probably a few people whose feathers it will ruffle, but you can’t worry too much about that. Particularly in 2014. It’s so prevalent out there, in TV shows and movies. It’s the norm, as it should be. I’m proud of it. It contributes to the daring and progressive quality of the storytelling of this [planned] trilogy.”
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 07-31-2014 at 11:47 PM.

Okay... in the same vein of How To Train Your Dragon 2; this is "old news" but new to me. Might be new to you and worthy knowing about.

RIGHT ATTACKS 'PARANORMAN' FOR FEATURING LIKEABLE GAY JOCK
    http://www.towleroad.com/2012/08/rig...-gay-jock.html

Conservatives are having a fit over news that a jocky character in the new stop-motion film ParaNorman is gay. Nancy French gripes at National Review that "parents who take children to the new movie ParaNorman might have to answer unwanted questions about sex and homosexuality on the way home from the movie theater" after the character, Mitch, casually comes out at the end of the flick.

William Bigelow at Breitbart, meanwhile, takes the gurgling hysteria a step further and presents the plot twist as some kind of trick by nefarious gays.

"ParaNorman" has a character named Mitch, who is, of course, a heavily-muscled jock who seems heterosexual until the end of the movie, at which time a girl named Courtney asks him if he wants to see a movie. Sure, he says, you’ll just love my boyfriend, who’s into chick flicks. It’s a time-honored technique of the gay community to hide the fact that a character is gay until the audience has developed a real affinity for him/her, then catch the audience off-guard by divulging that the character is gay.

Yes, gays in film should either be twisted, pathological villains or eccentric outsiders. Never, ever jocky or remotely likeable.

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 08-01-2014 at 12:11 AM.

I have yet to watch Paranorman and How to Train Your Dragon, but that's a good news.

I want to present The Pride comic

Facebook
    Twitter

The Pride is a comic book written by Joe Glass featuring diverse cast of lesbian, bi, gay and trans characters and tackles themes of LGBTQ representation in media.

It can be really frustrating working on the comics sometimes. There’s a large, vocal audience declaring how much they want to see more diversity in comics and more LGBTQ characters. I was one of them, even. And it’s why I made The Pride. However, when an indie project comes out with just that, a lot of this audience don’t actually buy the product they’d been calling out for: because it’s not from Marvel or DC.

Fact is though, if an audience doesn’t prove a desire and market for such a product, they won’t be willing to take a risk on creating one of their own. Obviously, I’m small press. I self-publish. I pay to get the comics made out of my own pocket. At the moment, there’s still around £5000 to pay artists for work and get the rest of the series printed when it comes to it. This isn’t even taking into account the cost of postage etc…it’s hard work, and takes up a lot of my time and money.

But it’s a labor of love, so I keep working at it. I wouldn’t change that for the world. But I do wish that I was able to pay the artists faster and could afford printing easier.

The Pride has 841 Likes on Facebook. If all of them bought just one copy of The Pride digital issues (at just £1.50), any issue, that would raise a massive chunk needed towards paying off the remaining artists! It would literally fund itself. I wouldn’t make any money myself, but I don’t care about that. This project is as much about building my profile and name as a writer than it is about getting rich…I will never get rich off The Pride, but I love doing it.

Source: glassgears

"There’s a large, vocal audience declaring how much they want to see more diversity in comics and more LGBTQ characters. I was one of them, even. And it’s why I made The Pride. However, when an indie project comes out with just that, a lot of this audience don’t actually buy the product they’d been calling out for: because it’s not from Marvel or DC"

Sadly, what he said is true. There's many good indie comic about LGBTQ character, but they are often overlooked because not many people know such a title exist.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    William Bigelow at Breitbart, meanwhile, takes the gurgling hysteria a step further and presents the plot twist as some kind of trick by nefarious gays.

"ParaNorman" has a character named Mitch, who is, of course, a heavily-muscled jock who seems heterosexual until the end of the movie, at which time a girl named Courtney asks him if he wants to see a movie. Sure, he says, you’ll just love my boyfriend, who’s into chick flicks. It’s a time-honored technique of the gay community to hide the fact that a character is gay until the audience has developed a real affinity for him/her, then catch the audience off-guard by divulging that the character is gay.
    Jane Lynch parodied that idea with her character Sue hating "sneaky gays" like NPH who don't seem gay. Funny because Lynch herself is gay and would be one her character would rant against.

Edit: and I'll have to check out The Pride.

BANNED

Best news in a while:

Ugandan Anti-Homosexuality Act Struck Down By Constitutional Court

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lesterfeder/...constitutional

Quote Originally Posted by Kencana View Post
    I have yet to watch Paranorman and How to Train Your Dragon, but that's a good news.
    "How to train your Dragon" is good.

but really. . . get a copy of "Paranorman" ASAP. It's an incredible film.

not only a love letter to nerds/geeks/freaks, but a fantastic story about self acceptance, and some laugh out loud funny lines.

it didn't do fantastic in theaters, as it really should have been a PG film, but idiot parents brought their kids to it, since it's an animated film.

but there ARE some scary parts, and some adult themes.
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

Oooooh, us gays are so tricksy! Mwahahaha! *rolls eyes*

http://bettiebloodshed.tumblr.com/po...tive-producers
    David Goyer is asked question about rumors of the erasure of Constantine's bisexuality. Apparently, it [his bisexuality] doesn't matter. Oh, and that she asked the question makes her a fake geek girl. So, two insults in one. Joy.
    Caveat: I have not been able to see this video yet; have crappy internet at home and videos don't play on the browser/computer I'm on at this moment.
    But. Given that this is Goyer, and he's the same dude who talked crap about She-Hulk and Martian Manhunter and comic fans, I'm guessing that her read on his being rude is correct.

BANNED

Goyer is known for being less than pleasant in interviews to everybody

Honestly, Goyer was fine. He clarified plenty, and answered the question, despite the reporters lack of knowledge of the character's history.

Quote Originally Posted by Kencana View Post
    I want to present The Pride comic

Facebook
    Twitter
    Bears are my favourite animal in the world, so the cute gay Bear fills me with joy.

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    Best news in a while:

Ugandan Anti-Homosexuality Act Struck Down By Constitutional Court

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lesterfeder/...constitutional
    This is indeed WONDERFUL news (and very surprising). Maybe the threat of withholding aid worked???

Quote Originally Posted by dahllaz View Post
    Oooooh, us gays are so tricksy! Mwahahaha! *rolls eyes*
    http://bettiebloodshed.tumblr.com/po...tive-producers
    David Goyer is asked question about rumors of the erasure of Constantine's bisexuality. Apparently, it [his bisexuality] doesn't matter. Oh, and that she asked the question makes her a fake geek girl. So, two insults in one. Joy.
    Caveat: I have not been able to see this video yet; have crappy internet at home and videos don't play on the browser/computer I'm on at this moment.
    But. Given that this is Goyer, and he's the same dude who talked crap about She-Hulk and Martian Manhunter and comic fans, I'm guessing that her read on his being rude is correct.
    I'm still going to give the show a chance, because I think the character's brilliant... much like with Star Trek, it's still massively enjoyable even if you have to wade through passive aggressive, fake-PC BS to get there. But MAN Goyer is coming off as... WOW! His PR manager must be ripping his/her hair out. "I don't see why it's such a big deal" YES, BECAUSE YOU REEK OF STRAIGHT PRIVILEGE! Northstar, the first EVER openly LGBT character in mainstream comics has been out 23 years. Constantine out 22 years. Goyer doesn't get it. He not only doesn't get it, he so adamantly thinks he has nothing to learn. It's Remender's "Call me Alex/hobo piss" all over again. Privilege, flaunted so brazenly, is a distressing thing. Frankly, someone who penned both Man of Steel AND Blade: Trinity should NOT be walking round like their sh*t don't stink on occasions

BANNED

I remember reading the hobo piss interview, I laughed, but only becauase X fans can be terribly self important and its amusing that someone will give them the occasional thumb biting

Nevermind...
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 08-01-2014 at 02:33 PM.

BANNED

That was a good story, I'm glad the author answered the aquaintance who tried to act like LGBT people were being exclusive
    "It's just a little hypocritical, is all," says an acquaintance as I try to describe why I had such a great time at GaymerX. "I mean, there's all this talk about inclusivity and they go and rope themselves off, make their own thing?"

"It's just a little hypocritical, is all."

"Well, no," I reply. "It was meant to be open to everyone. That's why I liked it so much. It was definitely directed at gay people, but it celebrated everybody. There was just kind of... a branding problem. And yeah, it wasn't totally perfect, but it was still pretty great."

For some reason minorities of any type who just want to prop each other up are then branded as excluding people but if the whole world media revolves around white-straight-dudes that's not exclusive? It's too bad they don't have the backing that other cons have but I know from some festival volunteer work that kind of thing is always so hit-and-miss.
    I think it does suck that a decent event that does a great job of promoting inclusion can't get the backing, and its probably because its not catering to standard tick the box demographics that big sponsors love to have