Page 496 of 550 FirstFirst ... 396446486492493494495496497498499500506546 ... LastLast
Results 7,426 to 7,440 of 8245

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    My personal recommendations for quintessential LGBT+ cinema would be: Brokeback Mountain, Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, la Cage aux Folles, My Beautiful Launderette, Paris is Burning, Caravaggio and Billy Elliott.

Funny story, Back when i was still in the closet I was at a hipster bar (before it got cool) in East Atlanta, with my fellow under 21 friend Laura her furry hobbit like new Bf, Mike and his friend and her secret FBuddy, a slinky Romanian Octavian while the differently able DJ played his set they would broadcast a movie on tv screens ...on a projection behind the Dj . Movies from 60s Brazilian horror to The 80s classic The 'burbs. But that night was Paris is Burning' couldnt hear it but I read the captions and was fascinated,while Laura tried juggling her 2 bdays I finished 2 Fortys and inspired by the movie started dancing with Octave "as a joke" he was a horrible dancer but was surprisingly receptive and we were attached at the pelvis the whole night. A few folks were not cool and left the dance floor but A lotta patrons, male and femalecame over to talk/ "encourage" say how "cool" it was etc.I ended up stay at Octave's loft that night. Lol
    Also it's featured in Azealia Banks awesome ass song Fierce.

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

Is Torchsong based on the Torchsong trilogy of plays?
    Yes Torchsong Trilogy based on and starring Harvey Fierstein - one of the first gay movies I ever saw - snuck out of study time to catch it at the cinema (my last few weeks of High School). Was my first window into adult gay life. Always give kudos to Matthew Broderick for having a part in this when it was not that fashionable for a teen heartthrob to play gay roles (not that it is easier now).

Meanwhile, Jackie Chan's daughter claims she has been ostracised for being lesbian:

https://www.all4women.co.za/1445986/...m_medium=email

AHHHHH, SQUEAL!!! That's so exciting! Any ideas how you're gonna do it?

If only...

UK or US?

I was disappointed when Brangelina said they refused to married till all of the us had gay marriage... and then just changed their minds and got married before that happened anyway.
    FUN FACT: She is one of only TWO openly LGBT+ actors to win acting Oscars (as in openly LGBT+ at the time they won), the first being Sir John Gielgud.

My personal recommendations for quintessential LGBT+ cinema would be: Brokeback Mountain, Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, la Cage aux Folles, My Beautiful Launderette, Paris is Burning, Caravaggio and Billy Elliott.

Is Torchsong based on the Torchsong trilogy of plays?

???
    Aladdin is a Prince, he marries Jasmine. Flynn is drop dead gorgeous too.
    FUN FACT: Aladdin's face was based on Tom Cruise.

1. My boyfriend is a musician so when he first met me he wrote me a song. We’re planning to do a trip towards the end of the year and I was thinking of playing the song while I propose

2. Definitely US (sorry, it’s what I watched when I was still working out I’m gay. But Charlie Hunnam getting eaten out in the first episode was pretty hot

The cover of the latest issue of the Swedish issue of Fantomen (as The Phantom is called here): the Phantom defends a pride parade in Poland against ultranationalists and homophobes.

fantomen-890x667.jpg

Did you hear the new song by troye Sivan called bloom? It’s so good!

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    I remember us having this conversation the first time we did introductions here and I shared a similar disappointment. I would have put that disappointment in this most recent introduction, but I actually forgot that they did that.
    #neverforget

I hope that that number of openly LGBT+ Oscar winning actors goes up in the coming years.
    Me too. I honestly thought Sir Ian stood a chance for Mr Holmes (2015) but wasn't even nominated. The problem is until we have more openly LGBT+ actors (A-list actors) we won't have any openly LGBT+ wins. Ben Whishaw and Andrew Scott are our best bet, and neither have ever been close to a nomination, let alone a win.

I actually watched Paris is Burning for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I think I teared up in the end watching how hard LGBT+ life was for people in the U.S. before my time. That thought then had me thinking how hard it still is now around the entire world. Though the movie also gave me hope that one day it will get better.

I see myself watching it again, for sure.
    I only watched it recently... which leads to my SHAMELESS PLUG for my CBR film thread...
    http://community.comicbookresources....lms-quot/page8

PARIS IS BURNING (1990)
    dir. Jennie Livingston

"She bring it to you every ball, why you gagging?"

ONE SENTENCE SYNOPSIS: New York 1987. The "golden age" of New York drag, centred around the iconic Harlem ball of Paris Dupree

THOUGHTS: for any fan of RuPaul's Drag Race this is a MUST SEE; every reference you can think of comes from here... but it's also quintessential LGBT+ cinema. In fact quintessential is almost an understatement, it's possibly A PILLAR of LGBT+ cinema. It's that huge (so I'm shamed to say I've only recently seen it). This was from a time where being gay truly was ostracizing; where is was shocking and terrifying (and then you add drag on top of that... it becomes an exceptionally hard life). Where the only community, sense of belong and kindness you found was with other gay people. And this New York, this was brutal. Now I lived in New York, but I was there many years after "Zero Tolerance", I didn't know this New York. Where it's cheaper to get mugged than get a taxi (and you WOULD get mugged). The New York of the Fisher King (1991) is beyond my knowledge, it's otherworldly in a way I cannot truly comprehend. And it's not just about drag, the documentary also tackles the issue of poverty, a class society and race. People who don't have two dimes to rub together, who'll never be an "executive" for a big company, because they are not white, or too feminine... so they have an Executive Category, where they walk in suits and ties with briefcases. Or a Realness Category ("realness" is passing, where you have to serve a look that cannot be clocked as gay; where your masculinity is not questioned). Walking in a Ball was, for them, the highlight of their month, their year; it was a single moment of freedom in an oppressive world. As a massive Drag Race fan, I adored learning where so many catchphrases and challenges come from. To name but few: "It do take nerve", "Shake the dice and steal the rice", "I look at her there and I see style, I look at her here and i see wicked beauty", "it is a known fact a lady DO carry a purse." It was also great to learn the history of things like reading, shade, houses and vogueing. As far as I understand now: Shade comes from Reading, Reading came first. Houses are like street gangs, and Shade is akin to fighting, so rather than warring on the streets, they bring that aggression and rivalry to the Ball, and fight... through Vogueing (Vogueing came out of Shade; it's a physical embodiment of Shade, it's how queens fight). Now I'm not a massive fan of documentaries, they can be fascinating, they can be powerful, but ultimately I find they are "vignettes". The truly evocative moments happen, and it's amazing, but then you're just listening to unscripted thoughts in-between; and therefore it's a little meandering. A little unfinished, or irregular. Between witnessing Willi Ninja's vogueing epicness, or Octavia St. Laurent's modelling or any moment Pepper laBeija spoke... we just had... stuff. And it wasn't bad, but it doesn't excite me. It was interesting learning that is wasn't all about wearing female clothes, it was interesting (and sad) hearing the reality of their lives; but (for me) that doesn't haunt me the way a film can. Documentaries are just not for me. Sorry 'bout it.

OVERALL
    Not just a slice of history, but an iconic documentary that was as groundbreaking as it was shocking. Quintessential viewing for LGBT+ cinema, and just a fascinating exploration of New York City and a time when being gay was already so ostracizing, to add being a drag queen on top of that... it do take nerve. They were heroes. Trailblazing heroes.
    ~ rating: 4 out of 5 [grade: A-]

FUN FACT: the title is a delightful enigma. I think I've managed to trace the possible origin: Recorded in the Histories by Tito Livius in 219BC Dum Romae consulitur, Saguntum expugnatur ("While Rome is debating, Saguntum is burning"); this was later adapted in an 1871 editorial protesting to Marxist rules Paris "But while the Clubs fiddle, Paris is burning, and will soon have no moments to even laugh at good intentions out of place."

Quote Originally Posted by wonderlad View Post
    Yes Torchsong Trilogy based on and starring Harvey Fierstein - one of the first gay movies I ever saw - snuck out of study time to catch it at the cinema (my last few weeks of High School). Was my first window into adult gay life. Always give kudos to Matthew Broderick for having a part in this when it was not that fashionable for a teen heartthrob to play gay roles (not that it is easier now).
    I saw a production of it at the Chocolate Factory (easy now ) in London, a few years back. Was helping a photographer take photos for it, and got to go backstage and basically watch the hottie actors walk around in very little. Not the worst day of my life. HA!

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    1. My boyfriend is a musician so when he first met me he wrote me a song. We’re planning to do a trip towards the end of the year and I was thinking of playing the song while I propose
    So, SO super cute. Depending on where you are, you could get a band to show up and start playing it!!!! Where's the trip to?

2. Definitely US (sorry, it’s what I watched when I was still working out I’m gay. But Charlie Hunnam getting eaten out in the first episode was pretty hot
    It always makes me sad when it's the US, only because my absolute favourite moment from the series was Stuart listing all the Doctor Who actors to prove how much he loves Vince. And that's not in the US one, correct?
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Oh we’re going just about everywhere. Japan first to meet his folks, then Finland, Russia, Sweden, Denmark, maybe Norway and Estonia. Can’t wait!

The band is a good idea! Thanks!

BANNED
    Last edited by Vegan Daddy; 05-10-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Did anyone else watch Eurovision? What an event this year. Absolutely incredible

Hey, guys. I don't know if anyone here would be interested, but AFROPUNK showcased a bit of my next book which showcases the Black lead who is also bisexual in a horror noir comic.

http://afropunk.com/2018/05/this-hor...s-stereotypes/
    Kickstarter for my comic Is'nana the Were-Spider, Vol 1 and 2!

Horror/fantasy coming of age book about the son of Anansi the Spider seeking for his place in the world.

That’s fantastic! Congratulations!

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Two pieces of great news that are only better for being so unexpected in those corners of the world!

Did anyone else watch Eurovision? What an event this year. Absolutely incredible
    I hear Chinese TV lost the license to show the finals because they censored the gay love dance in the semi finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Hey, guys. I don't know if anyone here would be interested, but AFROPUNK showcased a bit of my next book which showcases the Black lead who is also bisexual in a horror noir comic.

http://afropunk.com/2018/05/this-hor...s-stereotypes/
    Congratulations! Looks great!
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

That’s fantastic! Congratulations!
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Congratulations! Looks great!
    Thank you, guys!!
    Kickstarter for my comic Is'nana the Were-Spider, Vol 1 and 2!

Horror/fantasy coming of age book about the son of Anansi the Spider seeking for his place in the world.

Saw this on Twitter and I thought this might be a good place to share it.

Prom couple's walk home gets an uplifting twist ending

Cute Last night

When @MikeDelMoro observed a bachelor party crew yelling at bypassing couples to kiss, he was understandably anxious when their attention turned to two men returning from prom together. Turns out, he didn't have to worry and neither did the couple.
    What could have gone really wrong ended up going very right.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

That is amazing! I'm really happy for both situations. I know a bit more about the Pakistani situation then the Greek, but given what's been going on in Greece, this is a win! And Good on Pakistan for doing right, as there are several people who are working on making a life for themselves and for their families.

For the couple in NJ. That is a sweet thing. I'm glad those Bros were good people and made them feel happy.