Page 50 of 550 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100150 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

The person asking the questions in the interview should have done better research, but regardless, Goyer should not be so rude. He especially shouldn't be so insensitive on the issue just because he doesn't see why it's such big deal (which is really closed-minded, btw). Either way, I won't give my viewership to that show for the time being. On the other hand, I believe the Flash TV is supposed to feature a gay couple (or two gay characters, I can't remember which because I have to re-find the source), so I'll be setting my DVR for that one. I certainly helps that it looks like a pretty good show.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mermaid View Post
    The person asking the questions in the interview should have done better research, but regardless, Goyer should not be so rude. He especially shouldn't be so insensitive on the issue just because he doesn't see why it's such big deal (which is really closed-minded, btw). Either way, I won't give my viewership to that show for the time being. On the other hand, I believe the Flash TV is supposed to feature a gay couple (or two gay characters, I can't remember which because I have to re-find the source), so I'll be setting my DVR for that one. I certainly helps that it looks like a pretty good show.
    I'm amazed how rude Goyer has been (but I was amazed how rude Remender became over his blunder). In both cases I assume they are easily "aggravated" by it, because (deep down) they feel insecure about their choice/position. Quick aggression nearly always is used to hide something (often weakness). So take comfort in the knowledge that, actually, he knows he's fighting a losing battle and is wrong, but his ego won't let him back-track or try to correct his mistake.

I'll be watching the show BUT the second Constantine has a female romance, I'm out (the "justification" for not even considering the bisexual angle was "we are going to show his sex life, on any level, period" -- and unless they did that MASSIVELY ignorant thing of associating sexuality (specifically LGBT sexuality) purely with hardcore sex... I am choosing to take them at their word, and assume none of his sex life (straight or bi) will be mentioned).

N.B. and yes I'm aware I'm setting myself up for a fall

BANNED

I'm hoping they have Keanu show up as an alternative reality Constantine and the two of them hook up.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I'm hoping they have Keanu show up as an alternative reality Constantine and the two of them hook up.
    "Woah"

all that should be said
    Brad Pitt for Grifter in a WildCATS movie

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I'm amazed how rude Goyer has been (but I was amazed how rude Remender became over his blunder). In both cases I assume they are easily "aggravated" by it, because (deep down) they feel insecure about their choice/position. Quick aggression nearly always is used to hide something (often weakness). So take comfort in the knowledge that, actually, he knows he's fighting a losing battle and is wrong, but his ego won't let him back-track or try to correct his mistake.

I'll be watching the show BUT the second Constantine has a female romance, I'm out (the "justification" for not even considering the bisexual angle was "we are going to show his sex life, on any level, period" -- and unless they did that MASSIVELY ignorant thing of associating sexuality (specifically LGBT sexuality) purely with hardcore sex... I am choosing to take them at their word, and assume none of his sex life (straight or bi) will be mentioned).

N.B. and yes I'm aware I'm setting myself up for a fall
    That's a bit unfair. He could have just been tired of answering the same question over and over again. Besides, Goyer's always an a-hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Saffron View Post
    That's a bit unfair. He could have just been tired of answering the same question over and over again. Besides, Goyer's always an a-hole.
    If he keeps getting asked the question over and over, you'd think it would sink in that just MAYBE he was wrong to so quickly exclude the LGBT status of one of the highest profile (and oldest) LGBT characters But as I said it probably has sunk in, he is just too egotistical to back down.

I mean that sad attempt to appear heroic "I have a bi character in one of my other shows..." REALLY? For all intense and purposes, David Goyer just carted out that "I can't be homophobic, I have a friend who is gay" excuse. Having ONE LGBT friend doesn't make someone immune from saying or doing things offensive to the LGBT community and fans. Just ask Justin Bieber how much "having a black friend" makes you immune from doing anything racist
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 08-04-2014 at 12:44 AM.

If he keeps getting asked the question over and over, you'd think it would sink in that just MAYBE he was wrong to so quickly exclude the LGBT status of one of the highest profile (and oldest) LGBT characters But as I said it probably has sunk in, he is just too egotistical to back down.
    Well, according to the video on the last page, he didn't; they just weren't going to show it immediately.

Well, according to the video on the last page, he didn't; they just weren't going to show it immediately.
    "In twenty years time, maybe..." is code for: no, we won't be showing it.

Oh, Conchita can take it; my thoughts were purely aimed at the guys who put that much time and devotion in "just having a little bit of fun." A joke told in the spur of the moment can be (and often is) harmless (even if maybe a little poorly times). But dressing up to take photos that are then uploaded is more effort than 'just a joke' (in my opinion).

Agreed. SMH

Which brings me onto a new question for the thread...

QUESTION: what are you three favourite films with LGBT themes or characters as a significant part of the story?

1.) Sordid Lives
    2.) Jeffrey
    3.) gotta go with Priscilla for #3 despite being a tad over the top sometimes.

All 3 of these films are pretty light/comedic- I recommend any of them for a fun viewing experience.

"In twenty years time, maybe..." is code for: no, we won't be showing it.
    Oh, I don't actually believe we will see anything...I just don't think it's fair to condemn Goyer, or project motivations onto him, based on a few out-of-context quotes (especially since he didn't even rule out the character being bisexual). For all we know, it could just be the network execs not allowing it.

Quote Originally Posted by agent99 View Post
    1.) Sordid Lives
    2.) Jeffrey
    3.) gotta go with Priscilla for #3 despite being a tad over the top sometimes.

All 3 of these films are pretty light/comedic- I recommend any of them for a fun viewing experience.
    I actually don't know the first two, what are they about? Who's in them?

Oh, I don't actually believe we will see anything...I just don't think it's fair to condemn Goyer, or project motivations onto him, based on a few out-of-context quotes (especially since he didn't even rule out the character being bisexual). For all we know, it could just be the network execs not allowing it.
    Goyer certainly seems to not care IF the executives are indeed the ones ruling it (and I don't think they are). He very much comes off as thinking it's okay to remove it, even IF he's not the one behind it (and again... I think it's, at-least partly, down to him).

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Hey, I don't know if this is the proper place or its been posted already but there is a transgender teen in my home state who has been put in prison without due process. There is a petition on Change.org.

http://www.change.org/petitions/conn...iminal-charges

Talking about black film directors in the other thread, and thinking of Lee Daniels.

What LGBT Oscar winners (or even nominees) can you name??? For them to "count" they must be openly LGBT WHEN THEY WON/NOMINATED!!!

LGBT DIRECTORS
    1970 - John Schlesinger [OSCAR] - first (and only???) openly gay director to win (I'm pretty certain he was openly gay, even back then???)
    2009 - Lee Daniels [nom.] First (and so far only) LGBT black director to be nominated

LGBT ACTORS
    1982 - Sir John Gielgud [OSCAR]. First openly LGBT actor to win an Oscar???
    1993 - Jaye Davidson [nom.]
    1994 - Sir Nigel Hawthorne [nom.]
    1998 - Sir Ian McKellan [nom.]
    1999 - Angelina Jolie [OSCAR]
    2001 - Sir Ian McKellan [nom.]

LGBT WRITERS
    1994 - Alan Bennett [nom.]

OTHER
    1995 - Sir Elton John [OSCAR] Best Original Song

Can anyone think of any more? I'm sure there are more (esp. writers)?

Quote Originally Posted by Chia Head View Post
    Hey, I don't know if this is the proper place or its been posted already but there is a transgender teen in my home state who has been put in prison without due process. There is a petition on Change.org.

http://www.change.org/petitions/conn...iminal-charges
    Thank-you for sharing this, it is INDEED the right place for this; and I've signed the petition.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 08-06-2014 at 07:44 AM.

BANNED

thats here in CT, good luck with that...corrections holds a lot of weight here in CT, they typically aren't held to the table for issues like this

Incredible Member

The cover story in one of Portland's weekly papers is about a transgender child:

http://www.wweek.com/portland/articl...der_at_10.html
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org